The King's Kitchen
129 West Trade Street
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The King's Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kingskitchen.org/
- Phone: 7043751990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Southern
- Executive Chef: Jesse Spann
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The King's Kitchen
The King's Kitchen is a not for profit restaurant that fuels economic vitality, growth in Charlotte's Center City and the greater metropolitan area creating jobs and supporting community development. First, the restaurant will employ a segment of our community that is considered unemployable, from people who have come out of prison and rehab, to youths that are at high risk from dropping out of school. Once employed, they will receive training to run a full service restaurant from the front of the house to the back. They will also receive leadership and spiritual training as well in order to gain the life skills that are necessary to be successful in today's job market. Secondly, the profits from The King's Kitchen will provide funds and/or foods for established feeding centers in the community to provide meals for those in need. Designed to operate profitably, all profits will be used to help feed the hungry here in Charlotte, surrounding areas and in other parts of the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The King's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (27)good for groups (27)great for outdoor dining (22)great for lunch (16)special occasion (12)hot spot (8)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (6)late-night find (6)romantic (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Fantastic service,great food and drink , will come back and try all entréesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Southern MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014King's Kitchen is an immediate neighborhood favorite. The staff is energetic and fun. The pan seared chicken is fabulous.Special Features:
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014New Southern was a description that I had read and that fits. We had a few picky eaters and they found things to their liking. Those of us who like to try local food, try new things, and support local growers and business had too many great choices. Besides excellent food and service the restaurant has an amazing humanitarian mission.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected great, and it was betterdrummer24Dined on 10/15/2014This dinner experience was anticipated because of the southern style of cooking. The menu is interesting, but what you do not know is how well each dish is prepared. Fantastic combination of flavors, and every selection is excellent. From appetizers, to desserts to entrees, all very good. Wonderful wait staff, enjoyed the environment albeit a little noisy. If you are in town for a conference or visit, a must stop. For those looking for something a little different at reasonable prices, here is your place.Special Features:
- Just an Uptown GembeefDined on 10/11/2014I love King's Kitchen. The missing is great, but honestly the food is just amazing.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/6/2014I had a reservation for 8 for lunch, but 3 additional people showed up that had not RSVP'ed. The staff accomodated the extra 3 people with no fuss. Our orders were taken and, to my amazement - all 11 lunches showed up at the table at the same time. That is no small accomplishment! Our server was very attentive and professional. We had a great team lunch! And the oven-roasted beets were incredible!Special Features:
- Pre-theater mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Our meal was very good; Shrimp and grits, Fried chicken, and sides. The server was pleasant and prompt; as we had theater tickets. The only downside was a large, noisy party next to us that would not quiet down even after the manager asked them to do so. I love the idea of the proceeds going to feed the homeless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanDDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I enjoyed a pleasant meal at King's, our first time there. The atmosphere wass informal and relaxed. The staff was friendly and attentive. The quality of the food was also very good. We wanted a light meal, so we each had a salad (the greens and the kale). Both were fresh and satisfying. For our entree, we shared the shrimp and grits, very distinctive and among the best we've ever had. I enjoyed the flight of three beers, 15 ounces for a reasonable $7. For dessert we shared the Butter Bourbon Pudding, which was on the heavy side, so we were glad to have ordered just one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back AgainJohnnysgoodfind2Dined on 9/20/2014We enjoyed our first visit so much we were looking forward to returning. Not disappointed at all. The food is well prepared and full of flavor. The service is outstanding with the wait staff knowledgeable, friendly and very obliging. We also like the concept of not for profit and giving back to the community and it's citizens. We will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for a KingBubbaJeanDined on 9/17/2014On our first night in Charlotte, my husband and another couple enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Kings. We loved the down home menu and the location was great. The philosophy behind the way the restaurant supports its community should be an inspiration and model to duplicate everywhere. Awesome!! We would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!AshevilleFoodloverDined on 9/17/2014We had a wonderful experience!!! Great fried chicken and wonderful service. Only complaint was that the dessert selection was somewhat limited. But would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Way overpricedSweetTDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I went to this restaurant for dinner due to it's high rating on Trip Advisor. Service: our server was adequate but not attentive. She showed no excitement for the restaurant's offerings and had very little knowledge about the wine or beer list. We were served was served promptly, but without much personality. Food: The food was very well prepared. However my $26 entree was way too small. My wife's was small also. In a nutshell, our $92 dinner (with tip) should have been more in $70 range. This price point would have reflected the value we received.Special Features:
- A pleasant SurprizePreibmeisterVIPDined on 9/12/2014I did not know anything about this restaurant. I was staying at a local hotel and wanted to grab a quick dinner. Food was very, very good. prices good. I would recommend.Special Features:
- What a FindJohnnysgoodfind2Dined on 9/6/2014First time at King's Kitchen and will definitely return. We looked at the menu before making our reservation and thought that several of the dishes looked interesting but we were certainly not expecting the explosion of flavors that arrived with every dish. I know that being a Noble's restaurant, that the food would be good but this was better than I had ever enjoyed at the other stores. As I said, we will return.Special Features:
- Pros and ConsChrisDanGDined on 8/25/2014The food is outstanding but pricey. Any changes to what is listed comes with an additional charge. Fun to try though and make your own decision!
- tsandyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Another of Jim Noble's gems. Most importantly beyond the great food the staff are being given a chance to make a difference and have a food industry career that many otherwise would not have had. Thanks Jim.Special Features:
- Great food with purposeLisaDined on 8/15/2014The food was wonderful. We love how Jim Noble gives back to the community thru King's Kitchen. We will be back and would recommend others give it a trySpecial Features:
- Good.LottyDined on 8/15/2014Just a quick review... We loved the kindness and professionalism. We loved the sincerity. Atmosphere was very nice. Dress up, dress down or somewhere in the middle. The food was very good. Not excellent but very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Manager!!PunwilliamsDined on 8/13/2014The great service given by the manager Steve saved this so-so experience!! The cold food and slow service were enough to keep me from returning, but the effort given by Steve to compensate for the lack of quality won me over. I will return, only in part to the service and belief that this guy will be making improvements. I appreciated his attitude and work ethic to make this experience better than it would have been without his intervention.Special Features:
- Good food for a good causeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014I always enjoy dining here knowing what the restaurant supports.Special Features:
- Great food for a great causeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We enjoyed the wonderful food and are happy to support the cause. We will be visiting again next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceImpressedDined on 7/31/2014I had heard about the Kings Kitchen and have been wanting to try it out for quite some time. Finally the opportunity presented itself. I was truly impressed with the service and friendly wait staff and management. We never wanted for attention. My group felt well cared for and really enjoyed everything from appetizers to the entrée to dessert and the wine. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Dinner to Talk AboutMikePDined on 7/29/2014While not an extensive menu, there was more than enough to choose from and the food was outstanding. As first time diners we were all very impressed with the quality of food. Many thanks!Special Features:
- We will be leaving Charlotte soonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Our daughter will be moving yo NYC soon, and we will not be in Charlottee very often. We will miss our special dinners at Kings Kitchen the most.Special Features:
- donuDonaUVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great food, service...would go back everytime in charlotteI would recommend this to a friend.
- Glenda PworthwaitingDined on 7/18/2014This was my first visit to King's Kitchen. I really did not know what to expect. The food was far better than I could have imagined. There were 8 plus a toddler in our group. We all were more than pleased with the presentation and taste of our food. My only hesitation in giving a perfect score comes from the slower than hoped for service. We were a large group and it was a Friday night. However, we were there at 6:00, what I thought would be ahead of the rush. My daughter has eaten there several times before and said she has never had slow service before, so I'll chaulk it up to a busier than expected night. I will absolutely go again and will highly recommend others to do so. The food was worth the wait!!!
- Good in all waysgreelex0514Dined on 7/15/2014The food was fresh, delicious and served hot. Wait staff was personable and anticipated our needs. Prices were excellent. The fact that profits are plowed back into serving economically challenged Charlotteans made the food taste even better. Every city should have restaurants like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DivineBelieverDined on 7/12/2014When you go out to eat, it can be s selfish experience. When you give to someone...selfless. When you combine the two, with heavenly tasting cuisine; its like three entities in one, and its divine at Kings KitchenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Needs Service attentionFirsttimedinersDined on 7/12/2014First time there to entertain out of town clients. Great appreciation for the purpose of the restaurant and understand that many servers/chefs are in training. However, quite a disconnect timing of the food. Even with a reservation, it took quite a while for our order to be taken. We opted not to even let the waiter open the second bottle since we were finished with the meal. Our waiter was truly trying but seemed lost and could use some guidance with timing the meal. Kitchen out of several dishes; up-charged us on the side items, embarrassing us and the waiter who had to tell us in front of our guest about the up-charges. With such a great restaurant and superb location, there are rough edges and the bar could do with some ambiance.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceFromCharlotteDined on 7/12/2014It was a busy night and hard to get reservations elsewhere yet they still made room and gave us the private table that sat all 8 of us comfortably. The food was very good as was the service. I plan to come back to try some of the other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary GemFortMillFoodDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I went for our Anniversary. The food was great. The staff was fast and efficient. The atmosphere and view on downtown Charlotte was the best. While there were several events going on and the restaurant was busy we member lacked for anything and when we got our food, it was amazing. I will be back. Overall a great place.Special Features:
- Deserving and DeliciousHJVinoDined on 6/28/2014The King's Kitchen is deserving of everyone's business. Aside from serving delicious Southern cooking, their mission helps those in need. The service is always wonderful and we have never had to wait to be seated. My favorite is the fried chicken, buttered beans, mashed potatoes and gravy and the creamed corn with corn bread on the side.Special Features:
- Very EnjoyableFoodieboo7Dined on 6/26/2014It was relaxed and enjoyable. Great southern food and a great work concept!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 517 reviews are from the The King's Kitchen reviews archive.
- PatsyDined on 6/21/2014King's Kitchen provides a very pleasant dining experience along with delicious food. Plus, I like the mission of supporting local farms and providing jobs to those re-entering the marketplace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!JaneDined on 6/20/2014Fried chicken and pot roast are both highly recommended. The butter bourbon pudding was delicious as well.Special Features:
- Southern charmlibbylouDined on 6/20/2014Have not eaten "southern" cuisine out before... and it was delicious. Had the shrimp and grits, and my friend had the pot roast. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Great food and service. Sorry to see you had a B sanitary rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRetired1949Dined on 6/14/2014This restaurant has changed dramatically since we were last there. The vegetables were not good, the portions were very small and the desserts were not appealing as they had been in the past. We were very disappointed and will not return---very pricey considering the selection, quality, and portion size. The restaurant was so noisy we could not carry on a conversation at our table without shouting. Also, if the lights were dimmed, it would greatly improve the ambience.
- Uptown-Dinner Before PlayLemonzestDined on 6/13/2014King's Kitchen was perfect for dinner before an uptown play performance! Reservations made it a quick seating. Menu was varied and we enjoyed the emphasis on local. Ravs from our party of four for for seafood, pork roast, and veggies. Wait staff attentive of wine selections....and especially helpful to our time schedule. KK remains a favorite!!Special Features:
- Saved by King's KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/12/2014I was so disappointed by battered and fried food in Charlotte until I went here. THIS is what southern food should be, not the overcooked workshops. The fried oysters were divine, the sweet potato fritters delightful and I had a remarkable southern style risotto with ham that was sublime. Until I went to King's Kitchen, I was ready to settle for franchise food just to get a salad. And to top it all off, it's a non-profit organization that provides job-training and is locally sourced. I was delighted and impressed with this establishment.Special Features: