The John Marshall Tasting Experience at Oak Hill
3623 Grove Lane
Delaplane, VA 20144Neighborhood:
Wine BarPrice: $31 to $50
The John Marshall Tasting Experience at Oak Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.experienceoakhill.com/
- Phone: 540-554-0004
- Hours of Operation:
Availability: Please call 540-554-0004 to inquire about special events or group reservations. Outdoor picnic area is available
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Wine Bar, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Lisa Trujillo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Weddings, meetings, history and wine groups.
- Entertainment: As you explore the house and the wines, enjoy the coolest Ipod mixup of tunes and cool out-takes.
- Special Events: Please contact us at 540-364-6402 or firstname.lastname@example.org for queries regarding charitable benefits, corporate retreats, and weddings.
A word from The John Marshall Tasting Experience at Oak Hill
Dear friends and supporters...we have for the time being suspended service of the John Marshall Tasting Experience at Oak Hill Estate. The mansion is still available for special tastings, group reservations, and afternoons sipping extraordinary wines on the patio. Fell free to swing by on your next visit to see what we are offering!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The John Marshall Tasting Experience at Oak Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
- great times!!CCallisterDined on 8/24/2013Everything was absolutely wonderful!! The service was friendly and the food and wine were amazing!!! I would love to come back sometime!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try!bdaygirlDined on 8/18/2013We chose this for my birthday and we were not disappointed! The staff were very knowledgeable, friendly, and attentive. The wine was paired perfectly with each of the food tastings and were just the right size without being overwhelming. We cannot wait to take friends and family back to try this out! Be sure to go early enough to enjoy some time after your tasting on the patio outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed it, and will probablyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2013I enjoyed it, and will probably come again. Make no mistake the food and wine pairings were superb, and eye-opening educationally, but I'm not sure the price is right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationMinnaDined on 8/3/2013This was my second visit to John Marshall to celebrate a birthday and it was just as amazing as the first time. Amazing wine and pairings and the time and space to enjoy it with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2013We went to celebrate a birthday and none of us had been there before. Our first experience was wonderful! We did the Supreme White's and everyone of was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect wine and food pairingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2013I really enjoyed my wine and food pairing. The wine alone was great; the food alone was great. I have had pairings were the wine and food complimented each other, but this pairing was perfect. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/30/2013We had a lovely afternoon tasting wines from the region and all over the world. the staff couldn't have been nicer. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A memory for years to comeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2013The tasting experience is phenomenal from the greeting at the door to the friendly, knowledgable and attentive staff the entire experience is one that we will talk about for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wine tasting adventureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2013If you are a wino who is also a foodie, you MUST do the John Marshall Tasting Experience. It brings wine tasting to a whole new level with a food pairing to compliment each wine. You can spend hours debating whether the pairing enhances the wine or the food, or both, or neither. Taste is subjective so every answer is right. Our server was great and attentive. The "wine ambassador" roamed the room and checked on us every now and then to get our feedback and share some tips. Whether you are an oenophile or a novice, there is nothing pretentious or dumbed down here. Ask as many questions as you like. They are not snobs. The tasting menu changes so this is a great experience that I will do again...and again...and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And what an experience it was!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/29/2013The John Marshall Tasting Experience was not only an excursion in fine dining but a trip back in time! It was fascinating to learn about the first Chief Justice in his historic home. The cuisine prepared by Lisa Trujillo was outstanding and the staff was friendly and well versed in the different types of wine. We had a wonderful time!Special Features:
- John MarshallOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/11/2013We had a fabulous time at the John Marshall tasting experience. The service was impeccable. We really liked that the pairings acccomodated all different tastes - red only, white only, sweeter wines, a mix. The prices ranged from $29 to $79, so you can have a fun, affordable tasting or a splurge. I would highly recommend and can't wait to go back when they select new wine pairings for the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some great winesToadDined on 5/4/2013I loved the relaxed feel of the place, a very nice old house with a great view of the wine plants and serice was outstanding and i would return to try more of there winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thoroughly enjoyed the experience.JJ65Dined on 4/28/2013thoroughly enjoyed the experience. enjoyed the pairing w/ wines and food. We are picky eaters but enjoyed the foods and they truly enhanced the wines. Appreciated the owner walking around and talking with the guests. Nothing pretentious very comfortable - will definately do it again.Special Features:
- Great food, wine, and atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Great food, wine, and atmosphere. Enjoyed chatting with the staff, including Andy, John and Carrie, as they were very knowledgeable about the wine and food, as well as, the history of the property. We'll definately be back and would highly recommend.Special Features:
- The cost for tasting onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2012The cost for tasting only 4-5 wines per flight is too high. It is not worth the experience.
- Unique. One who appreciatesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2012Unique. One who appreciates history mixed with some fine wines and food plus scenery and folks who have a passion for their venue should make this a "must" on their list of Things to Do.Special Features:
- The tasting experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012The tasting experience was great. Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable about the wines.Special Features:
- Lovely food/wine pairingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012Our party of four really enjoyed the John Marshall Tasting Experience. It was a fabulous Fall day, the scenic view spectacular and the ambiance perfect! The food pairing was excellent with the wines that we ordered. I would suggest that people be informed that the food is more of appetizer size than certainly a full meal, so no one should attend thinking that they will walk away full--happy, yes; contented, yes; but full, no!!Special Features:
- This NOT a restaurant.DittothecatVIPDined on 10/6/2012All you are signing up for on Open Table is a wine tasting. We didn't even get the wine tasting, but upon showing up finding out it was "date night", which means you can buy an overpriced picnic basket for $49. You get a bottle of Virginia wine, 2 George Foreman sandwiches, two a cups of likely canned soup (nothing fresh in that bowl) and two small cookies. I'm glad I am married, because if I ever brought a date here there would be no next date. I'm guessing most of the rave reviews are from employees. One more thing, they don't have phone service. We tried calling before reserving (with a credit card), but they can't answer, you get is a recording saying call Barrel Oak Winery.
- Just an excellent afternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2012Just an excellent afternoon at this wine tasting event. Everyone could choose exactly the tastings they wanted, the food was excellent and the setting was relaxing and just lovely. Perfect activity for friends to enjoy together on a saturday or sunday afternoon.
- Good, but it is what you make it.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012The overall experience was very good. There were only a few other people there and by the time we really got started, there was nobody else emjoying the tasting experience. It ranges from $25-$75 per person so it can be a little pricey, but it is what you choose, so no reason to complain about the price. The food portions were very little, but they are desinged to enhance your experience, not feed you. We actually went out to dinner afterwards. They let us walk around the house a little, at least part of it. While I would recommend this to others, I wouldn't do the experience again, but it was a nice date night for my wife and I.Special Features:
- You choose wine from $25 toFoddie64VIPDined on 9/16/2012You choose wine from $25 to $75 range. With $75, you can get a nice heavy wine glass with engraving of your choice, i.e. your name. Very interesting experience. Staff there are very friendly and very knowlegeable of history and wine.Special Features:
- We had a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2012We had a great experience at Oak Hill. It was such a unique way to offer a wine and food pairing, and the setting was great. We will definitely be back to check out the other tasting options.Special Features:
- I had four people in my groupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2012I had four people in my group and every one of us LOVED the experience! The people are friendly, food was wonderful, wine was excellent, atmosphere was inviting. I can't say a bad thing about it. Thank you for a great Sunday afternoon!Special Features:
- Both of us thought the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2012Both of us thought the food pairings were excellent and creative, too. The staff was informative and welcoming, making the experience all the more enjoyable.Special Features:
- A trip to the John MarshallOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2012A trip to the John Marshall House at Oak Hill is no ordinary wine tasting. The wine selection, food pairing, personal attention and historic venue coalesce to make this experience outstanding. Great for couples and groups. Cheers!Special Features:
- John Marshall TastingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012Great time! Staff very friendly and knowledgable. Quite a selection of tatings, international,regional and local. My husband and I selected tastings from the regional and local offerings from the menu. We both prefer to support the Virginia Vintners. The venue itself was beautiful and relaxed. We look forward to other events tat Oak Hill that Barrel Oak will host.Special Features:
- Not one to recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012They have two seperate websites which state "no children or pets on the Oak Hill Property" and "we do not accommodate dogs or children on this property" and "The John Marshall Tasting Experience is designed to take your senses to the next level.While we are not fashion hounds, we recommend a dressier casual wardrobe for your visit in order to elevate the sensory experience". While there, 2 seperate families walked their dogs in and around. Of the 4 people in front of us two were in jeans and 2 in shorts, doesn't match the dress code in my opinion. Not a higher end experience as one would expect based upon what was read in advance. Would never go back.
- The John Marshall TastingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/21/2012The John Marshall Tasting Experience at Oak Hill is a wonderful addition to the wine tasting options in Northern Virginia. The Experience offers a relaxed opportunity to taste wines from a wide variety of vineyards from not only Virginia, but also further afield. Barrel Oak Winery puts on these tastings, and naturally enough, features its own wines, as well as those of Chief Justice Cellars, which it also operates. However, it is generous in comparing these to a wide variety of top-notch wines from elsewhere. Each wine is accompanied by an hors d'oeuvre chosen to complement that specific wine. We thoroughly recommend this as a pleasant way to enjoy some of the more notable new contributions to wine-making.
- My wife and I very much enjoyedLurknomoVIPDined on 7/21/2012My wife and I very much enjoyed our wine tasting at this new venue operated by the Oak Hill winery. The service was excellent and the manager was very knowledgeable about the wines being served (and wines in general), and was visiting each table throughout the tasting to solicit feedback and provide information about the wines being tasted. Highly recommended for oenophiles.Special Features:
- It was great! What a uniqueRobinVIPDined on 7/21/2012It was great! What a unique experience! Service was fantastic! Setting was beautiful! The food looked too beautiful to eat! (But we ate it and loved it!). Everything was displayed and explained perfectly!!!!!Special Features:
- A fun experience in a grandOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2012A fun experience in a grand old historic landmark with a knowledgeable server - both historic and oenological!Special Features:
- A really good idea; greatDavidKVIPDined on 7/14/2012A really good idea; great wine selections; only recommendation: a little more improvement in the food pairingd (quantity and variety). Maybe a couple can be Tapas size. ThanksSpecial Features: