The Joel Palmer House
600 Ferry St
Dayton, OR 97114Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Joel Palmer House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.joelpalmerhouse.com/
- Phone: 5038642995x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday through Saturday for Dinner: 5pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Czarnecki
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The facility is perfect for special events such as birthdays or rehearsal dinners as well as business meetings. A/V equipment and setup available. Multiple fixed menu options from which to choose.
- Private Party Contact: Christopher Czarnecki 5038642995x
- Special Events: Available for private lunches of 10 or more. Call for more information.
Special events listed on our website: www.joelpalmerhouse.com and see regular updates at www.facebook.com/thejoelpalmerhouserestaurant
A word from The Joel Palmer House
Mushrooms are the heart of what we do at the Joel Palmer House. We have always endeavored to obtain seasonal and local ingredients and we use many locally produced greens, herbs, and vegetables, some of which come from our own culinary garden. We are frequently inspired by ingredients found in the cuisines of France, China, Thailand, Poland and India, so we call our cooking "freestyle." Our dishes pair well the celebrated wines of Oregon, especially Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris and Chardonnay. Our extensive, Oregon-focused wine list has been awarded the Best of Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator. Of special note, The Joel Palmer House ranks as one of Oregon's finest historic homes and is on the National Register of Historic Places and the Oregon Historic Register. Built in 1857, the house is Dayton's oldest standing structure. When weather permits, guests can enjoy their dinner on our outdoor patio, soaking in the last rays of sunshine in the heart of Oregon Wine Country.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Joel Palmer House - Best Restaurants in Dayton ›
The Joel Palmer House reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)special occasion (84)romantic (72)great for outdoor dining (67)notable wine list (64)neighborhood gem (22)scenic view (14)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Fabulous RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I had heard so many good things about The Palmer House over the years! So when we wanted to go out to dinner to celebrate a special occasion l suggested we try this "Palmer House".We were so impressed and will definitely go back.Wow!!! Every morsel was fantastic!!! The staff was amazing and so friendly and helpful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some bitter aftertasteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Dear Sirs, I am from Norway + invited friends from McMinnville to my birthday (receipt 2618/table 0-2-1, 6 guests ), I have a bitter aftertaste when reviewing the bill which I paid on good faith and without having my glasses on. These 2 issues: 1) I cannot recall that we had 2 bottles of wine ( one child + two drivers in group), 2) On the given bill I added service addition, from USD 523,92 up to USD 600,00 - but I was not made aware that the USD 523,92 already included 18% service charge, thus spending it twice. I somehow feel this should have been told to me. that's the reason why I gave the service a lone star ( poor ). Otherwise the service was very good, friendly and competent. Hope you review my issue above, thanks . Klaus RadenbachSpecial Features:
- Wonderful findJohnDined on 9/12/2014Wow! Service and food was fantastic. Staff made us feel welcomed and special. We will return and we do recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An absolute must goEakshortDined on 9/4/2014We went twice, back to back nights it was so good! Everything was amazing you must try the mushroom soup n the terrific foies gras.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, terrible serviceFoodloverDined on 9/4/2014Food is great, but we won't go back for the following reasons: They have nice mushroom price fixe menus and a vegetarian version, but everyone at the table has to order from these menus in order to get it. Also, there are a handful of servers covering all of the tables, so there is no personalized service. We waited 40 minutes for our dessert course. 18% gratuity is added to bill, regardless of table size, so there doesn't seem to be incentive to provide good service.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experience.fatmanadtVIPDined on 9/3/2014We were given the choice of indoor or outdoor dining. We chose the outdoor. Beautiful lawn and gardens. We started out with a foie gras appetizer. Excellent flavor. Then came the house special of wild mushroom soup. It was the greatest. The wife chose the beef strognolf. Creamy sauce, full of wild mushrooms, and very tender beef. I choose the elk ribeye. It came sliced like duck breast. Perfectly cooked, med. rare. Beautiful mushroom reduction. Sides were radish, carrot , and mushroom risotto . The wait staff were excellent, knowledgeable. The wine list was extensive, but we choose the local wines. Overall a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Too much of a good thingAnDouDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful food, beautifully presented, but way too much for us. Because the food is very rich and we ordered elk and stroganoff, we were uncomfortably stuffed afterwards. I know, our fault. We typically eat small portions and could have easily been satisfied sharing one order. If an ala carte menu was an option, a salad with the fabulous mushroom soup and our bottle of Pinot noir would have been perfect. Oh yeah, plus the shot of bicolor gazpacho -wonderful; and the bread; and the creme broule... See the problem?Special Features:
- Foodies should dine hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Great place for people who really enjoy food. The mushroom themed foods are wonderful to the palette, especially the tart. There is a huge selection of wines to choose from, and awesome help in choosing the right wine to pair your food with.Special Features:
- Special nightJonesDined on 8/27/2014A perfect spot to enjoy a special night. A tiny town with a powerhouse perfect restaurant.Special Features:
- Mushroom KingdomGreendragon519Dined on 8/26/2014The menu on 8/26/2014 was all about celebrating the local mushrooms. The soup was savory, the mushroom tart was flavorful and the filet was tender. The angel hair with mushrooms and lobster was dressed with a delicate creamy sauce. The artisan cheese plate rounded out the meal nicely. Extensive wine list. The desserts were interesting. The restaurant is located in a house dating back to around 1857. Very romantic. It is a great value at $49 for a three course meal. Had a nice birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service was lackinghungrythirstycanuckDined on 8/23/2014We both enjoyed the vegetarian tasting menu. The variety of mushroom related dishes was excellent with a nice balance of simple and more complex dishes on various courses. The service however was confusing to say the least. We were waited on by 6 separate servers at different points in the evening so it was hard to tell if anyone was even monitoring the progress of our meal. Had to flag down staff twice to get another glass of wine and the last three courses on our six course tasting menu were spaced about 25 minutes apart which is way too slow for a tasting menu. There were only 3 reds by the glass on the menu and they ran out of my selection after my first glass. They did comp a replacement that was nowhere close to what I ordered.Special Features:
- Memorable Dinnerls30VIPDined on 8/23/2014Beautiful Historic home is the setting for a lovely dinner. Fabulous service throughout the meal. The menu is delicious and sure to delight especially if you are fond of mushrooms. Mushroom soup and mushroom tart were out of this world. My husband enjoyed the beef stroganoff very much for the main course and I had the Quinoa cakes. Don't miss the bread pudding dessert! My only regret was not asking for a table outside on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experiencedanakDined on 8/22/2014We dined at the restaurant with 7 of us and the staff didn't skip a beat! The wine list is amazing, food even more amazing and service was top notch. They had someone doting on us all the time, but not in an annoying way. The wine list is huge, but there is a great first page of wines where "you can't go wrong". This is an absolute must if you are in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariaLeeDined on 8/22/2014Over all the food was very good. Loved the mushroom soup! The staff was very knowledgeable and attentive. The wine list extensive! Great spot for a special occasion. We dined inside, but the outside looked beautiful! The only downside was a terribly noisy person at the table next to us. She was so loud in fact, that we could hardly hear our waiter or each other. I rated the noise level as "Energetic" because there wasn't an option for obnoxious! But then, I'm sure that rating was for the overall atmosphere of the restaurant. Aside from that diner, the noise level was moderate. I should have asked to be moved, I'm sure the wait staff would have been accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pkschool2309pkschool2309Dined on 8/21/2014Vegetable and starch portion miserly. otherwise, nice place for dinner.Special Features:
- ebpvDined on 8/20/2014Wonderful dining experience. All the food was excellent. I had the beef strognoff, which was a very unlikely dish for me to choose, but I am so glad I did! I think I preferred it to the sturgeon and the elk ribeye that others shared with me, both which I assumed i would like better. The dish had a lot of very tender beef over rice, not noodles. The mushroom creme sauce was amazining, not too heavy and lots of mushroom flavor. I would love to dine there on a regular basis...but my wallet won't allow me!Special Features:
- Consistently greatKevinVIPDined on 8/20/2014Sitting out on the patio on a beautiful summer evening is one of the best dining experiences in the Northwest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite spotsmdmassDined on 8/19/2014We hate to miss an opportunity to eat at the Joel Palmer House, so try to include it whenever visiting. For a couple who enjoy a great dinner for the wine as much as for the food, the menu here is perfect for the luscious Pinots of the Willamette Valley. We can no longer eat enough to take on the larger prix fixe mushroom tasting menu, but the 3 items for $49 is perfect when we order different items and trade bites. On this visit, we rated both our appetizers– mushroom soup and tart– and entrees– stroganoff and filet mignon– as outstanding. We added one of the "indulgent" sides, the mushroom risotto, which was on par. The only disappointments were a bread pudding dessert, which was on the dry side and weak on flavor, and a high corkage fee.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experiencefantasticDined on 8/19/2014We celebrated our 58th wedding anniversary at Joel Palmer House and it was a wonderful experience. The food was wonderful and the service was friendly, efficient, and extremely helpful. It was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50 Shades of MushroomsTodine4Dined on 8/15/2014The menus are mushroom-centric, most collected locally by the chef. The mushroom soup is not to be missed, unlike ANY mushroom soup you've ever had. The mushroom tart starter is also amazing. We had sturgeon, stroganoff and elk rib eye. All perfect, served all together. Deserts are fantastic. Creative, not overdone, and just the right amount. Great value for money!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food!CelebratingOur39thDined on 8/9/2014Not quite know what to expect, we were blown away by the food and great wait staff. Thanks for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Treat for mushroom lovers!BordeauxbabeDined on 8/8/2014Lovely ambiance in this old home. Very welcoming. We were told about the delicious specials that night and went with the 3 course dinner. The mushroom tart was to die for! It was like a wedge of mushroom pie. The mushroom soup was very good, but wished I had gotten the tart. I had the filet mignon with a mushroom risotto which was cooked perfectly. The duck breast was not asked a temperature preference and was quite rare. We were waiting to confirm our dessert choice when the bill arrived. We ordered the cheese course and another glass of wine. There were so many servers they got confused, and brought out the same glasses 5 minutes later. They took them back. All in all, definitely go for the food and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mushroom lover's restaurantmusicfoodVIPDined on 8/8/2014We went here because of the mushroom focused menu. Excellent food. The service was a little overly attentive. The restaurant itself could use a little sprucing up, but all in all, a nice culinary experience.Special Features:
- good food; fair experienceforkfoodDined on 8/6/2014The food is delicious and inventive. When we reserved, there was no warning that a private party had the patio. The inside restaurant was freezing cold, to the point that I couldn't wait to get out of there (I was wearing a sweater). My view was of the open door to the kitchen. My dining partner's view was the parking lot. No salt and pepper on the tables--a red flag that the chef may be pretentious and arrogant. Let people add salt and pepper as they wish! There were so many servers on duty, that someone stopped by literally every three minutes. We could not carry on a conversation because we were constantly interrupted. My water glass need not be full to the brim every instant. The wait staff needs to back off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nanwagDined on 8/2/2014We loved the food! It was a speial touch that the wonderful chef came out and talked with us. We got to ask him about where he finds his truffles and mushrooms. Very interesting guy!Special Features:
- a let-downDoNotBotherDined on 8/2/2014I am not sure if we have just been spoiled with better local restaurants but we were a bit disappointed with our recent visit to The Joel Palmer House. The food was ok, good at best. We had expected much more for the price. Who knew three flavorless green beans, some soggy fish, and some overly salted quinoa was considered gourmet? There were roughly eight different people that served us so we did not even know who our official server was. We had to ask nearly half of them for a wine list. Eventually the gruff, humorless, almost advice-less sommelier came over with the sub-par list. We are in the middle of wine country and the list did not reflect that. Overall, there are much better places around this area for much less money.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2014My wife and I totally enjoyed this experience. The combination of great food and excellent service made for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Almost PerfectlocalmdVIPDined on 7/29/2014Easily one of the best dining experiences we've ever had. The food was immaculately and thoughtfully prepared, and the service (minus one little glitch) was superb. The back-servers ensured water glasses were never empty, we always had bread if we wanted it, and the clearing and marking were impeccable. One thing I appreciate in a restaurant is when one guest finishes and others are still working, the clean plates remain on the table (unless pushed aside) to make sure the guests who are still eating do not feel rushed. Again, I can't say enough about the food and the service. If you have a chance to eat here don't pass it up. We had the mushroom prix-fixe and paired with Pinot Noir were in heaven. Thanks for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great evening!!!donsreviewDined on 7/29/2014All servers were attentive and friendly!! Great food, as always. We love dining here. Only wish that they were open on Sunday nights as we would stop on our way back from the coastSpecial Features:
- Don't missFoodieeeDined on 7/26/2014This is an amazing experience. Different from most restaurants in that it specializes in mushrooms and is a bargain at any price but especially compared to wine country restaurants in Calif.Special Features:
- shows signs of slowi8ng downdeeolgaDined on 7/26/2014Overall, a very good place to dine. Unfortunately, it used to be a great place to dine. The food used to be to die for, now it is just very good. The three mushroom tart, for example, had a tough crust, not a tender, flaky one. The mushroom risotto was made with long grain rice, not Arborio rice, so some grains were mushy and some were not completely cooked. The flavor was intensely mushroomy, and very good. Just a textural issue. Everything else was excellent, the filet with foie gras was really good, the candy cap crème brulee was superb. Overall, I would try it again if I was in the area. It may have just been an off night. We have eaten there before and had wonderful food.Special Features:
- Fabulous DinnerFabulousDinnerDined on 7/25/2014We had tried to make a reservation last year when we were in Oregon, but the restaurant was closed. We went back again to Oregon this year (we are from NJ) and thankfully we were able to have dinner here. Without a doubt....it was excellent. We did the mushroom tasting menu and everything was delicious, especially the soup and sturgeon. Wait staff was excellent...always making sure that we had enough bread, water, whatever the need. Cannot say enough about this restaurant. We also thought it was very nice of the Chef (Chris) to come out and talk to people.Special Features:
- Highly recommendeddivemom13Dined on 7/25/2014We loved dining outside at this wonderful restaurant that a local recommended. Attentive and friendly staff brought us beautifully prepared flavorful dishes. Their specialty is mushroom inspired dishes. We met the chef after dinner and he generously shared some of his preparation tips. Wonderful evening!Special Features:
- A vacation highlightAmandaBDined on 7/25/2014Impeccable service, outstanding food in a lovely garden setting (we sat outside). Frozen soufflé dessert was divine. Best meal we had during our 10 day stay in Oregon. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The mushroom king .Babybison2dineDined on 7/24/2014The experience of different flavors that work well together make the eating delectable.Special Features:
- fabulous food and servicegoodfoodDined on 7/24/2014This is our third time to the Joel Palmer house and as usual it was a superb dining experience. The food is fabulous. The service is wonderful. The atmosphere is perfect. Not too formal yet not too casual either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star price, 3 star experienceMt51Dined on 7/23/2014Party of 3 we had, they automatically added 18% tip! usually tip 20% anyway but, but service was poor, AND they added 18% to the 2 bottles of wine, which took the wine "steward" 20 minutes to bring to the table. Many great choices in the area, this is not one.
- great mealmereDined on 7/19/2014My family and I had a great meal here after a day of wine tasting. We were able to sit out side in the garden which was perfect. The mushroom soup was unbelievable. I usually don't eat red meat but ventured out and had the elk. I did not regret it. It was flavorful, lean, and tender. I will have to come back to have the tasting menu. Unfortunately everyone at the table needs to participate to do the tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Utterly FabulousPilarDined on 7/19/2014Fabulous once in a lifetime experience! The mushroom madness was so delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentLittleDogLaughedVIPDined on 7/18/2014This was our second visit and it was even better than the first. The food was excellent from the first course to the last and the service staff was first rate. Highly recommended!Special Features: