101 W. Short St
Lexington, KY 40507Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jaxlex.com/
- Phone: 8597212339x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Chef Natalie Blake
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View
- Private Party Facilities: Our beautifully appointed second floor Lounge accommodates sit-down dining of up to 40 and cocktail parties of up to 70. The Lounge is furnished with 5 televisions including an Apple TV, on floor restrooms and full service bar. Our guests especially enjoy the private VIP room which seats up to 12 comfortably on its benches and chairs - a true "lounge experience." The Lounge space is available to rent out for private events, or can be used for smaller gatherings of 15-20. An additional private dining offering is The Loft, a private dining room boasting its own TV and balcony that overlooks the main dining room with seating up to 7.
- Private Party Contact: Aimee Lovitz 8597212339x
- Entertainment: Live, local entertainment each weekend! DJ Saturday nights being at 9:00pm
- Cross Street: S. Limestone St.
- Public Transit: Colt Trolly Blue Line conveniently stops at our front door.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available beginning December 1, 2013. Additional parking accommodations include: off-street, pay to park lot directly across from the restaurant and various pay to park and garages nearby.
A word from The Jax
ALL at once novel in concept and character, The Jax perfectly fits the mold of your next gathering when you’re seeking something “a little different.” Whether it’s a lively dinner with friends or colleagues, or a night out on the townContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Jax - Best Restaurants in Lexington ›
The Jax reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (8)late-night find (8)good for groups (7)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (5)special occasion (4)romantic (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- DecentWittenDined on 9/15/2014The food was good, service was okay, and the ambiance was quite nice with blue interior lighting. There was barely anyone there at 8 pm so that may not be a good sign for their future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014My friend and I sat at the bar. The restaurant was not that busy. I feel we had to ask for refills and to move plates after course. It wasn't my first time dining there and had better service at a table in the past.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014The food was very good and once we were noticed, the service was good, too. We sat there for over 15 minutes before we were approached by our server. We had reservations and were immediately seated. The place was not remotely full either. It was a bit disappointing. Lots of staff loitering about the whole time, too. We may go back...not sure yet.Special Features:
- So Wanted Jax to be BetterDomino104Dined on 8/16/2014Had a reservation for Sat Aug 16, was seated promptly. Sat for over ten minutes I had to flag a waiter down and ask for service. When our waiter did arrive drink orders were taken...took several minutes to receive draft beers. Waiter was friendly took food order, entrees arrived in a reasonable time, incorrect side salad brought, Bangkok entree extremely small but was tasty, Jax trio of burgers were dry and very basic, fries were good and well seasoned, tacos were just average. Noise level in Jax was extremely loud. After we returned home we discovered that we were over charged for the side salad(the one that was incorrect!) Wish the Jax well, but do not envision returning, from service to food quality & quantity very average. Bill $100!Special Features:
- Cute place, Good Service....EatinGUDinthaHoodDined on 7/26/2014Creative cocktails....food was a full on epic fail. They did at least try to make the bill right though.
- A fine experienceAllenseatDined on 7/25/2014We had a fine experience at The Jax. We continued our streak of receiving the worst table in the house, but friendly and effecient service offset that nicely. The first two courses were a bit rushed, but the pace evened out after that. The restaurant week menu was a great value and we would reccomend it. The beignets are outstanding and our server reccomended the chocolate dipping sauce in place of the usual sauce- a great, delicious tip!Special Features:
- The Jax FactsFunbrewDined on 7/25/2014The food and service won't disappoint. Great food and service. Some great signature cocktails and some not so great. It is an active place on a great corner for people watching.Special Features:
- Eclectic Delicious Experience!LexingtonFoodieDined on 6/26/2014Consistent excellent food! The variety is wonderful and the service is always top shelf, just like their spectacular drinks!Special Features:
- Service, bar and ambience greatKikki423Dined on 6/21/2014The service was great & great bar selection. Good was okay, nothing special. My steak was overdone & the pot stickers were flavorless. My husband said the burger was good. We'll be back but just for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and inviting!LoveToCookDined on 6/21/2014Overall a great experience. Friendly staff, comfortable atmosphere. Food choices at various price points very flexible. Awesome crab cakes and loved the house sage almonds! Owner was not only incredibly hospitable and friendly, but very open to feedback on the suggestions that we offered regarding one or two slight food improvements. We toured the upstairs facility, which is uniquely separate from the first floor and has an awesome private party setup, along with a very creative lounging area! There is even a cozy mid-level 'mezzanine' dining nook that overlooks the main floor. 'Jax' came from the owner's memories of fun times as a girl growing up playing Jax. The service was also very attentive...will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd go backWineanddineDined on 6/14/2014Our server was WONDERFUL! Very knowledgable about the menu and the wine list. Small place, lost of tables outside on sidewalk. We sat inside, which was empty. I had the Bankok, which was a really good, spicy curry dish. Varied menu.Special Features:
- The following 44 reviews are from the The Jax reviews archive.
- Different but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Waiter was great but fairly long wait on entrees, but to be fair we sent waiter away twice before we ordered. Lexington pasta and Chicken parm are great. Also had the salmon which is heavy mustard. Fairly pricey for just the main dish...did include bread/olive oilSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!lexfoodDined on 5/24/2014Our server was super nice and knew the kitchen well, the food was superb, and we enjoyed sitting outside and watching the street scenes. My wife had the scallops which were among the best I've had, and I had "The Tacos" which tasted fantastic. A huge plate of antipasti to start easily fed two of us and was well worth the price. We'll be back.Special Features:
- RissaDined on 5/22/2014Good happy hour deals. Food was alright. Some interesting choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will come back2picky4someDined on 5/21/2014Very good oysters on Wed special. Happy hour prices for drinks and appetizers were good. Looking forward to return trip to give other menu items a try. Very good service from friendly staff.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heavy handedJustsadDined on 5/17/2014The food was just not good at all. We had five people in our party and only one dish was good. The sea bass dish was just awful over done over seasoned mess. The shrimp app was all lime and no other flavors made it to the month. The crab cakes were ok but the pulled pork was so salty that we could not eat them. The sliders were also over salted and why?? I wanted to so enjoy this place but if they don't get control of the kitchen and fix the food it will have to just be a night club.
- Great BrunchLuv2EatLocalDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mothers Day Brunch and had a great meal. Bottomless Mimosas and make your own Bloody Mary's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch in Lexington!GusmanDined on 5/11/2014Brunch at The Jax is how I want to start every Sunday off! Not only is the food amazing (I got the crab cake) but they have make your own bloody Mary's as well as bottomless mimosas! Besides the food and great drinks out dining experience was made even better by our table outside on a beautiful morning, a DJ spinning a perfect mix of music and in my opinion, the best waitress in Lexington, Nicki. She was very friendly, knowledgable about the menu and prompt to bring refills. Thank you Jax for a wonderful Sunday Brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014Needs to add specials....foodies like myself are always interested in a chefs special that might have a seasonal appeal or ingredients. Dessert menu was limited. Went somewhere else for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service!!Lovedjax1Dined on 5/8/2014Excellent! Great atmosphere, friendly service , delicious food!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/27/2014Limited menu with good food and small restaurant. Not sure if there are other areas for dining upstairs.
- Long wait for foodEbfrench10Dined on 4/26/2014We waited over an hour and a half for our food. It was good and reasonably priced but we arrived and were seated promptly at 845pm and our food dinner didn't arrive until almost 1045pm. Our server was apologetic but he wasn't checking in with us at all, maybe because he waS worrying about the wait. We almost left without eating. When the food arrived I thought it was tasty. They comped us a round of drinks but that wait really killed the whole experience.
- Great place!RicardoDined on 4/19/2014This was my first time at Jax and I really enjoyed having dinner!Special Features:
- Fantastic experience!IrvingDined on 4/3/2014My girlfriend and I visited The Jax for Thursday night taco flights. We had phenomenal service and the food and drinks were fantastic. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite Restaurant!KelseyDined on 3/23/2014This has become a weekly tradition for us we love it so much! Excellent food, service and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing as always!kwoharaDined on 3/20/2014Food was amazing as always! Great idea to have $15 taco flight on Thursdays!Special Features:
- Our favorite place in town!KelseyDined on 2/27/2014We absolutely love the Jax! In the winter it gets a little cold because of the door opening up but the food and service is always excellent! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time! ServiceBirthdayDined on 2/21/2014Had a great time! Service outstanding and a cool place .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swanky atmosphere; delicious foodLuvfioodDined on 2/21/2014Loved the location, decor, and the food was outstanding. Looking forward to future evenings dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was so-so, drinks wereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014Food was so-so, drinks were great! Other than that it was a really fun night out and the vibe was very metropolitan, perfect for a night out with friendsSpecial Features:
- Great for drinks and dessertCorporateclassyDined on 2/18/2014The service was wonderful. The half price wine bottle was great. The atmosphere and decor were perfect.... But the food? Not so much. I got the tacos and they were cold when they came out and didn't taste good at all. My husband had the Bangkok chicken and it didn't fil him up or impress him. I will return for drinks and dessert because I loved the atmosphere, but the chef needs to be replaced before ill eat dinner there again.Special Features:
- TerribleFrankVIPDined on 2/15/2014Might have been because we were there before UK basketball game.
- Ok....bdnt12713Dined on 2/14/2014Fantastic service, very nice atmosphere, drinks were great. The food was quite frankly disappointing. Bland and some things were overdone. The staff was great, worked to correct food problems and made what was disappointing from a food perspective a nice experience. Loved the beer selection and my girlfriend loved their dirty martini and moscow mule. We would go back for a drink but not for dinner.Special Features:
- Just so soOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Very slow getting appetizers and food out(2 hours for these 2 courses). Food was tasty but over priced.
- awesome first timelikes2eatDined on 2/13/2014Went for a valentine surprise and boy was it. I had the tacos and she had the salmon and they were to die for! Can't wait to go back and best of all is they use locally sourced ingredients!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Hottest Place in Town!LexingtonFoodieDined on 2/9/2014Great food, great service and best of all amazing atmosphere! This is a first class Lexington Restaurant! From the variety of food, the exquisite creations and superb staff--what more can one ask for??? Entertainment grabs the award for fun places to be in town! It's a don't miss kinda place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special friends!arameyDined on 2/7/2014Amazing food and the atmosphere was very suitable for my friends and me. We had our own table in a small room that overlooked the first floor of the restaurant. Plus the waiter was AMAZING! Great night with great friends at a Fabulous PLACE!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!BoomerDined on 2/7/2014My new favorite place in Lexington...great food, good variety...just go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/5/2014We went on a snowy Wed. night for my birthday. The salmon was fantastic, by far the best dish at the table. I had the tacos which were okay. Service was a little slow and I had to ask for bread and our waiter. Seating wasn't very comfortable but I really liked the atmosphere. Also, every time someone came through the door a huge burst of cold air filled the room. Not sure if that's controllable. Price point is a little high- I noticed most people in the restaurant ordered the tacos. They should lower a few of the higher items and they'd sell more. No special birthday cake offered but that wasn't a huge deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, poor servicejustwantedanicedinnerDined on 1/31/2014The ravioli appetizer was overcooked, but not too bad. The Bangkok shrimp curry dish was a well prepared and tasty dish. The dessert "chocolate bomb" was obviously a premade item that was just plated for a nice presentation, but lacked the flavor of an in-house made dessert. Unfortunately, we waited 30 minutes from the time we finished our main course until the dessert was brought to the table. The long wait in combination with overall mediocre service resulted in a less than expected evening. If they don't change some of their problems they will have the same outcome as several other previous restaurants at that location.Special Features: