The Ivy Inn Restaurant
2244 Old Ivy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Ivy Inn Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ivyinnrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4349771222x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Daily: 5:00- 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Angelo Vangelopoulos
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Available for private on premise catering with no rental extras. Can cater off premise but will require rental of equipment. Menus tailored to fit you needs.
- Private Party Facilities: We have four indoor dining rooms and a tented garden patio that is used April through November. Any and all areas can be reserved for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Farrell Vangelopoulos 4349771222x
- Entertainment: No live entertainment
- Special Events: Available for special events. Wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, bridal lunches or brunches, business dinners.
A word from The Ivy Inn Restaurant
The Ivy Inn restaurant features locally-inspired seasonal American cuisine. Located in an historic house built originally in late 1700"s. Conveniently located about a mile west of the University of Virginia. Small family business that loves to support our incredible local farmers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Ivy Inn Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
The Ivy Inn Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (141)romantic (119)fit for foodies (118)neighborhood gem (64)notable wine list (57)good for groups (29)great for outdoor dining (21)scenic view (8)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- blown awaycvilledinerVIPDined on 10/27/2014I was blown away at the food. A charming setting in an old home. We had a cozy corner banquet. The lighting was perfect and the menu was diverse and the food preparation was amazing. On a Monday night it appeared to be completely booked. Delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice touchesLenoreDined on 10/26/2014The waitress presented us with a glass of sparking wine and a menu wishing us a "Happy Anniversary" -- a nice start to a celebratory evening. Appetizers: Foie gras - totally melt-in-your mouth delicious. Shrimp & grits - he judged the dish very good. Main course: I was a bit reluctant to order poultry with a pork au jus, but the Polyface chicken breast with country-ham au jus was delicious. I would order it again. He ordered the sole which had a smoked flavor. I tasted and did not like it. He ate it all. We brought our own wine which they accommodate for a small corkage fee. We appreciate this service.Special Features:
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014We went here to celebrate my son's 20th birthday! What a treat! Great food!Special Features:
- Always a great journeyKFoxVIPDined on 10/25/2014The best, most reliable journey into culinary delightSpecial Features:
- Wonderful meal!mspickypantsDined on 10/25/2014The Ivy Inn has a varied menu, thoughtfully prepared. Both of us had less-than-normal menu items (not steak or salmon!). do yourself a favor and do the same. Staff were very knowledgeable about preparation and ingredients, so there were no surprises when the dishes were placed in front of us. Wine list was heavy on wonderful Californians. Sadly, being from CA, it held no surprises. Would have loved to see some of the local wines by the glass. But mind you, I am a spoiled for choice Californian and may be a bit picky!Special Features:
- Thanks Again Trip Advisor!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014TA recommendation of The Ivy Inn Restaurant did not let us down! We made reservations for the Restaurant on the evening following UVA's Homecoming Game. The atmosphere was relaxing and in keeping with the decor and the menu. The service was outstanding. The menu featured so many amazing combinations of foods that it was difficult to choose. My husband decided on the Grilled Bison Hangar Steak with Horseradish Scalloped Potatoes. I can honestly say it was the best bison I have ever had! I ordered the Grilled "Rag Mountain" Trout which was also outstanding. Additionally we enjoyed a Stuffed Date Salad and for dessert, Sticky English Toffee Pudding. Yum! The Restaurant tries to get as much as possible locally - farms, breweries and wineries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014Local food sources; novel styles of preparation; attentive and knowledgeable server. Excellent wine recommendation. Good value.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnergeorgejrDined on 10/22/2014We were in Charlottesville to celebrate our anniversary and reserved at the Ivy Inn based on reviews we had read. We were not disappointed. We requested to sit downstairs and were very pleased. The room was charming and very comfortable. Our waiter was extremely pleasant and professional. When my husband asked for a wine recommendation, he offered to let him sample the wine before settling. The food was excellent. I had delicious scallops and my husband had the rainbow trout, which he loves. Both dishes were extremely well prepared. We had profiteroles for dessert.....a delicious way to end the meal. We highly recommend The Ivy Inn.Special Features:
- Lovely and DeliciousLove2NoshDined on 10/19/2014This is a MUST GO restaurant in a B & B. The entry is quaint with "old" ivy and brick. The restaurant is in an old home, chock full of charactor and feels warm and inviting. The staff unobtrusive and attentive, just right. The food - ahhhh the food. My husband declard the rack of lamb the best he has ever eaten (and he has eaten it in New Zealand and all over the world). I had fois gras - a touch overcooked for my rare palate, but still a treat with the presentation. We shared Virginia wine, and enjoyed every bite and sip.Special Features:
- Wonderful Night OutgrtdiningexpDined on 10/18/2014My partner and I really enjoyed our dinner at the Ivy Inn. The food was great, the atmosphere was relaxing and romantic and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfull experienceGingerDined on 10/18/2014Will recommend to anyone traveling in the area. Food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Ratewinelover4Dined on 10/17/2014The Ivy Inn Restaurant is chef owned and both the service and the food reflects care and quality. We had the pork belly appetizer, the local trout, the bison hanger steak and shared a fried green tomato salad. Everything was first rate!Special Features:
- Anniversary specialzahnaDined on 10/14/2014We were visiting from out of state, found the Ivy on-line and pre-booked. The service was impeccable, the food absolutely delicious and the ambiance relatively quiet and private. We both had the tenderloin and would highly recommend it. The wine list was very good - lots of choices but not overwhelming. We would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect anniversary experience.smurphetteDined on 10/13/2014As UVA alumni, we hadn't heard much about the Ivy Inn until a local restaurant owner in DC recommended it to us. We were so thrilled with the experience -- the food was amazing and the service was excellent. The ambiance of this restaurant cannot be beat for a special romantic occasion.Special Features:
- Dinner at the Ivy innPeterDined on 10/12/2014The setting is very cozy and intimate. It gives the guests a warm feeling. The food is quite good. I had the duck breast and it was both well cooked and nicely garnished. The Profiterolles for dessert were excellent. Only drawback: the service that is too slow although attentive and personal. The wines by the glass could also be a bit more generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, Intimate, excellentJMVenhausVIPDined on 10/12/2014A delicious meal for my wife and I to get away from our hectic life and relax with a great meal. The pan-seared duck breast was especially memorable. Everything was wonderful. The servers were attentive, but not hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CanuckNBDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed trout and beef tenderloin. Both were excellent and we appreciated the classic serving portions. Really enjoyed the sticky english toffee pudding and strawberry rhubarb crisp. Nice old inn setting. Staff was knowledgeable and helpful. I would suggest it for a romantic dinner rather than family night.Special Features:
- Charming location, fantastic food!TarynDined on 10/11/2014Our reservation was for the evening and we were unfortunately late. We did not get choice seating because of this, but were seated next to the wall on the first floor. The food was fantastic. The cheese selection served with choice artisinal bread was highly enjoyable. The restaurant pulled from the local area. Very much a pleasure. I enjoyed the bison steak for my main course which was prepared medium and sliced. It was delightful. My husband enjoyed the filet and that was cooked beautifully and flavorful. The mashed cauliflower which was browned and served with his steak was delicious. As were the au gratin potatoes. There was no room for dessert. However, I did take a piece of the key lime pie with me which was enjoyed later. A treat!Special Features:
- Good but priceyAphclrDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I, plus two other guests ate dinner here for my wife's birthday. I thought my food was excellent and the rest of the table felt similar about their food. We had a reservation and were seated quickly in an upstairs room. My main criticisms would be that I thought the room was too dark. I understand they are creating ambiance, but if I can barely see my food it interferes with the experience and makes the diner sleepy. Secondly I thought the wine list was a bit steep and shockingly featured no local wines. For an area of the country known for its vineyards this was a bit strange. Many of the locals spoke highly of the restaurant and I would say that their admiration was well placed.Special Features:
- Memorable!KirueVIPDined on 10/11/2014This meal hit all the high notes until the very end, when our dessert choice (chocolate pudding) turned out to be merely very good instead of wonderful. Everything else--cocktails, wine, appetizers, entrees, and service--merited the highest praise. For the record, we had shrimp and grits, the appetizer-sized gyro that usually comes with the lamb entree, flounder with oyster-cornbread stuffing, and trout. All featured inventive accompaniments and perfectly blended flavors. Coming from DC, we found the Ivy Inn to be an excellent value for the price. Those tired of overly buzzy restaurants will appreciate the cozy, quiet dining areas, too.Special Features:
- Terrific Dining ExperienceTCLGDined on 10/11/2014Terrific dining experience; overall setting, service & food. A bit noisy but that seemed to have imroved when dinner was served to a particular guest. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb! A memorable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2014The Ivy Inn exceeded our expectations for an evening out in celebration of our anniversary. The special touch from our names on the menu and the Happy Anniversary on our desert was so touching. We came to Charlottesville to celebrate our anniversary and this night was wonderful! My husband told everybody we came in contact with that they had to visit the Ivey Inn for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElizDined on 10/8/2014Great food and an excellent waitress. Lovely old building. Parking available..Special Features:
- A true dining experiencedreytuchVIPDined on 10/7/2014The chef here trained at the Culinary Institute, and it shows. An inventive use of ingredients, from fish to duck to game - a tantalizing touch. A lovely experience, in a homey old Inn. The chef was accommodating to dietary needs and preferences. Presentation was also lovely from my perfectly delicious trout, to the bison with scalloped potatoes and the fantastic flounder over seafood. Save room for dessert, which is hard with the fresh baked bread to start. The Kahlua ice cream accented perfect profiteroles, and a buttery apple crisp were superb. Only disappointment was the chocolate pudding--nothing very special, but pretty, for sure. Great service, nice by the glass wine list. All in all, a fantastic evening.Special Features:
- Memorable!kandkfoodiesDined on 10/7/2014Thank you chef and staff for an amazing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special occasion!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/6/2014We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary at The Ivy Inn and could not have picked a better place ... fabulous menu, great food, interesting wine list, and best of all, the staff really made us feel special ... from the personalized menus to the welcome glass of champagne to the special dessert presentation ... it was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every aspect just right.InFromNelsonCountyDined on 10/5/2014The right touch of elegance in a comfortable historic setting. You can tell that each dish has been prepared with skill and attention to detail. Delicious and lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationsBooklinDined on 10/5/2014The entrance was engaging with old plantings, brick walk, and historical house. The interior was soothing and comfortable. Our waiter appeared fairly new.The food was disappointing . Bread basket offered flavorless breads; Flounder was overwhelmed with a spicey rub, succotash was drowned in tomato sauce; duet of lamb or the other hand showed a balanced hand and was cooked perfectly though offering a gyros with lamb chops seemed a bit odd and the rare lamb didn't come off as tasty and textural as a regular gyros.
- great choicemmc12VIPDined on 10/3/2014Excellent dinner Fried green tomatoes and shrimp and grits appetizers were excellent. Lamb and gyro, pork chop, tenderloin wonderful. Sticky toffee pudding and chocolate cake outstanding. Nice atmosphere, attentive service in old home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiefanDined on 10/3/2014A delightful restaurant.2nd visit with family and friends. Delicious food and great dining experience. Friendly, courteous staff. Relaxing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal on our 3week road trip!MorcellaDined on 9/30/2014This is a beautiful old home and very inviting. We were seated upstairs. There were two other tables seated and eventually all were full...on a weeknight! We were still able to have our own quiet conservations. Our servers were wonderful and we a appreciated their suggestions when asked. The food was the best we have had on this trip. I Had the Duet of Lamb, my husband the Flounder. We shared our delicious selections and each was well prepared and flavorful. The chocolate pudding suggested by our server was also smooth, great chocolate flavors and the biscotti of Macadamia and coconut was an added treat. We brought a bottle of wine we bought in a local speciality wine shop. The corkage was $15, very fair!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstandingEatwellDined on 9/30/2014Ivy Inn is one of our favorite restaurants. The dinner menu is always varied and excellent. Service is personal and welcoming, and individual touches are provided if requested. Over the years, we have always had a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningMikeDined on 9/28/2014We celebrated Judy's 39 birthday again; Great champagne, Hors d'oeuvres, main course, dessert and after dinner drinks! Great meal great service great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place with great serviceHershy1VIPDined on 9/26/2014Went for such a wonderful dinner -- so fabulous that I am writing this review (atypical for me).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectAvalynn42Dined on 9/22/2014We came here with our family after our elopement wedding on skyline drive...everything about the ivy inn was perfect for our wedding dinner. Every person in our group, including our 10 year old daughter- cleaned their plate. The food was truly outstanding, service spot on, soft music played in the background. They had us upstairs at a nice table for our group, and they included special touches and extras for our special occasion. My husband who is the harshest food critic and who is also very knowledgable when it comes to fine dining was sure to give his compliments to the chef as we left. Thank you ivy inn for making dinner on our special day absolutely perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversaray dinnerSwedeDined on 9/21/2014Enjoyed our dining here in celebration of our 40th wedding anniversay. The complimentary champagne was nice and special anniversary noted menu. The food was good, the pan seared duck foie gras just melted in the mouth as an appetizer plus entrees of trout and my wife had the seafood pasta dish. Atmosphere on the second floor was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food In ALL of C-ville!ChristyDined on 9/20/2014We were a party of four on our first visit to Ivy Inn and it certainly won't be our last. We were scoping out this venue for our son's rehearsal dinner. After dinner, we decided it was at the top of our list. It will be very difficult to narrow down our choices when it comes to menu planning. A really lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average dinnerhungrytravelerDined on 9/18/2014This was our third visit to the Ivy Inn. We decided to stray from our usual dishes (rack of lamb and steak) and tried something new. The flounder was very good, but the seafood pasta was only OK. We will come back, but will stick with the lamb and stead next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Incredible!BeeRichardVIPDined on 9/18/2014First time at the Ivy. Service was impeccable and food was incredible. The shrimp and grits are an absolute necessity to try…and they will surely become a favorite. Prices are very reasonable. We're are not local to the area but wish we were so the Ivy would be one of our regular place to dine.Special Features:
- 5 StarsFood4fayDined on 9/18/2014This was quite a surprise, a truly wonderful restaurant. Also outstanding service. We've been going to Charlottesville for years and have been missing this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.