The Ivy Inn Restaurant
2244 Old Ivy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Ivy Inn Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ivyinnrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4349771222x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Daily: 5:00- 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Angelo Vangelopoulos
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Available for private on premise catering with no rental extras. Can cater off premise but will require rental of equipment. Menus tailored to fit you needs.
- Private Party Facilities: We have four indoor dining rooms and a tented garden patio that is used April through November. Any and all areas can be reserved for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Farrell Vangelopoulos 4349771222x
- Entertainment: No live entertainment
- Special Events: Available for special events. Wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, bridal lunches or brunches, business dinners.
A word from The Ivy Inn Restaurant
The Ivy Inn restaurant features locally-inspired seasonal American cuisine. Located in an historic house built originally in late 1700"s. Conveniently located about a mile west of the University of Virginia. Small family business that loves to support our incredible local farmers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Ivy Inn Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
The Ivy Inn Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (91)romantic (81)fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (43)notable wine list (35)great for outdoor dining (22)good for groups (15)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)hot spot (3)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Ivy Inn--What a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Quaint ambiance and attentive, friendly staff complement the chef's delicious menu ... do not miss this place when you're in Charlottesville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great ChoiceTexasflyerDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I enjoyed a leisurely dinner at this quaint restaurant. We enjoyed specialty cocktails and selected a fine wine for dinner. I opted for chilled watermelon gazpacho soup, heirloom tomato salad and a half order of house made ravioli pasta. My wife had squash soup, beet salad and half order of house made vegetarian linguine. We ended our delightful evening with cappuccinos and sharing dessert. All the food presentations were delightful and tasty. Rachel provided excellent service and the Chef sent out little surprises throughout the evening. Portions may be small for some but they were just right for us. The Ivy Inn was a memorial evening for us.Special Features:
- Great anniversary spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014My wife and I celebrated our 28th anniversary at The Ivy Inn last weekend. What a wonderful experience. The atmosphere was relaxed, the service excellent and the food exceptional! It surpassed our expectations.Special Features:
- Old Ivy is a classicOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014We had a private party of 15 upstairs in one of the converted bedrooms. Dinner was spectacular. Service was great! This is a quieter non-stripmall higher-end dining experience in a converted residence that really is special.Special Features:
- Excellent food, great service.Foodieman4009Dined on 8/24/2014Pleasant reception and nice alcove table for a special occasion. Foie gras was beautifully prepared as was the lamb and trout, all supported by a solid wine list. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eveningLoLoDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated our 20th anniversary at The Ivy, and it was lovely. The food was delicious, and the setting, with the many small rooms as opposed to one large room, was very intimate.Special Features:
- ILoveBrunchVIPDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary at the Ivy Inn this past weekend and could not have been more pleased with the experience. The food was incredible (I had the pork chop while my husband had the trout) and the service was awesome. At no point did I feel like I was being rushed out of the restaurant (in fact the treats sent out by the chef made me feel as if he wanted me to stay and continue enjoying the atmosphere as long as possible) and our server was absolutely delightful. I highly recommend the Ivy Inn for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Still wonderful 30 years laterdrewDined on 8/23/2014Still very good and romantic. Portions were plentiful and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are very appreciative!AshcroftDinersDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary here and could not have been more impressed. When I made the reservation, I knew I'd mentioned it was our anniversary, but didn't recall listing which one. Thanks to Old Ivy Inn, they reminded me-- because our menus were very kindly imprinted with "Happy 8th Anniversary!" Nice touch, and it kept getting better from there. We were treated to a complimentary flute of champagne and then our waiter, Alex, answered all of our questions and made a most superb recommendation to accommodate our entrees. From appetizer to entrée to dessert, every course was incredibly well prepared, served, and enjoyed. Old Ivy is now among our very-most favorites-- thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheCasualFoodieDined on 8/22/2014Dining at Ivy Inn is always fantastic. I love that the portions are small, but the flavors are vibrant and the food satisfying. The complimentary champagne, rolls, and after-dinner blondie were much appreciated, and I liked that our server took the time to tell us what ingredients went into various dishes. The building itself is also lovely - I love the creaking floors, the intimacy of the soft lighting. This is my favorite restaurant in Charlottesville. Thank you for this magnificent dining experience. I treated my friend from Chicago to dinner here, and she absolutely loved it.Special Features:
- a local favoritehedgehogDined on 8/17/2014This is one of the best local restaurants for this type of general menu at this level. It has been consistent over many years. The service is good and one is not rushed, the seating is comfortable, and the noise level is (most of the time) not off-putting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really nice experienceargus77hDined on 8/16/2014The service was impeccable, the dining room was nice (maybe a bit dated, but I didn't mind that), and the food was perfectly prepared. The only mis-step was that the portions of food were rather small. I don't want big, but these were notably tiny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite!SDvisitorDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I just returned from a special anniversary trip to the east coast. During our adventure, we stayed for two nights in Charlottesville; I wanted to orchestrate a special anniversary dinner...after completing an exhaustive on-line search of restaurants, I selected The Ivy Inn. Simply stated, it was the perfect choice! We were seated outside (with our permission), which was delightful. Our server (Robert) was excellent - well versed, personable, enthusiastic, and eager to insure our satisfaction. We ordered the shrimp-grits appetizer (Robert's recommendation), the mountain trout with scalloped potatoes, and peach crisp. Every item was fabulous - delicious and perfectly presented. It was exquisite...a truly memorable dinner!Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemslhmDined on 8/9/2014Food menu was varied and used local fresh ingredients. The food was well prepared. Service was attentive. I will make this a regular place for dinner and to take friends.Special Features:
- One Year AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014We've celebrated a lot of different occasions but were completely blown away by how much The Ivy Restaurant went above and beyond our expectations in giving us an amazing anniversary dinner. This is a night we won't forget and definitely makes us want to come back again! The food was perfectly prepared and the waitress was just the right amount of attentive and seemed to read our minds in terms of anything we may want. I would strongly recommend this place for any romantic special occasion; the noise is quiet so you don't have to yell to have a conversation. We didn't choose the outdoor seating but saw several people taking advantage. I'm so happy we chose this restaurant to celebrate our first of many milestones together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/7/2014lovely evening--no rush--met with old friend to catchup--last ones out probablySpecial Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/2/2014Definitely lived up to expectations. The food was cooked to perfection. The crispy skin on the duck breast... to the shrimp and grits. Just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice dinnerIssaDined on 8/2/2014We had a very nice dinner at The Ivy Inn Restaurant last Saturday. The service was well timed and pleasant. The food was very tasty and well prepared. We sat outside on the patio because we had our dog with us. It was comfortable and relaxing. I'd recommend this restaurants to anyone who wants a reasonable priced good meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and interesting menugirlsknowfoodDined on 8/1/2014Love this place. Only drawback is the decor is not up to the standard of the cuisine and service.Special Features:
- Great fineFoodie4everDined on 7/22/2014Skilled chef and great presentation. And very friendly and helpful wait staff...a. Very enjoyable eveningSpecial Features:
- Outstanding!!HoosTheFoodieDined on 7/20/2014Sunday night dinner for two, foods drinks and service all top notch! Highly recommend and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding diningtraveler62Dined on 7/17/2014The setting is uniquely appealing. My wife and I started with an incredible she crab soup. Entres of filet and crab cake were ample and delicious. Topped dinner off with a toffee and almond dessert to die for. One terrific dining experience made better by our waiter RobertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to recommendationsSteveGVADined on 7/17/2014Service was attentive. That's the best I can relate. Outdoor patio was pedestrian, lacking in any hint of panache. Food was too salty. Lacked fresh ingredients to make desired cocktails. Sausage in the gnocchi sure didn't taste like Andouille, but it was so diced up that I couldn't really identify it. Creme brûlée dessert was superb, as was the cappuccino. Bottom line is that we will try several other highly related restaurants in the Charlottesville area before we would think about a return visit to the Ivy Inn.Special Features:
- Ivy Inn -- a ClassicfoodistDined on 7/15/2014Using local ingredients and well-sourced seafood, the Ivy Inn offers a delectable menu that changes often (based on season and food availability) and delivers a refined mix of fresh flavors. Last night I had a delicious puréed and chilled sweet corn soup, poured over a complimentary mixture of black beans, avocado, tomatoes and fresh cilantro. My entree, the crab cake -- no filler -- was perfectly pan sautéed, and served over fresh local pole beans. My husband chose his and the local favorite, Rag Mountain Trout -- a mild white fish with extraordinary melt in your mouth flavor. Ivy Inn's historic setting and charming southern elegance adds to the dining experience as does its non-intrusive but attentive waitstaff.Special Features:
- Our 5 year AnniversaryannesandalgotodinnerDined on 7/11/2014New to Charlottesville, we celebrated our 5 year anniversary at the Ivy Inn. It was so special- the inn is quaint, the staff very friendly, and the food was delicious. I had noted it was our anniversary, so they customized the menu with Happy Anniversary for us to take home. They started us with a complimentary glass of champagne and helped us pick our meals. We split the Shrimp and Grits (yummy) that they spit for us. The crab cake and the potato pancake was great as well as the trout and polenta cake. We finished with some key lime pie- wonderful. The inn staff made us feel special and the food was amazing; all in all, a great choice. We plan on celebrating many, many more dinners there, for an event or not. Thank you.Special Features:
- Delicious DinnerDeliciousdinnersDined on 7/10/2014Everything we ordered was delicious. I had my favorite appetizer which I always order when available, foie gras. The whole grain toast and strawberry reduction were wonderful. My entrée was the crab cake which was out of this world.: jumbo lump crab with a great sauce and vegetables. Orange crème brulée for dessert. My husband had chilled corn soup, rack of lamb and profiteroles. The California wine however was very disappointing. We should have ordered a local Virginia wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OklaurVIPDined on 7/8/2014Linguine reminded me of ramen noodles. Husband enjoyed of his dinner. I likedy starter and dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfansDined on 7/8/2014Nice restaurant. Food was competently prepared and flavored. Restaurant is very hard to find. They need to do a better job of explaining how to get there to avoid guests being frustrated before they arrive. The staff acknowledged that they get the complaint about being "hard to find" a lot.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining Experience!MrsBAMDined on 7/5/2014I have been to a number of the highly rated restaurants in Charlottesville. This was by far the best we've been to so far. As a party of 4, we shared three appetizers, had three different entrees and three desserts. Each of them was outstanding! Our server, Jenny, was wonderful as well. I highly recommend this restaurant. Wish we had found it sooner and it is at the top of our list of restaurants to try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not greatLiLKidneysDined on 7/4/2014on our first visit to Charlottesville we went to Ivy on the strength of various reviews. It wasnt as good as the reviews. We met some locals the next day who told us it isnt what it used to be. the food was pretty good. the shrimp and grits appetizer was very tasty. the raved-about mushroom appetizer was so so. Partner had the famous trout dish, which was pretty good, but not knock your socks off. I had the bison, which was very good. Since we had such different main courses we went wine by the glass vice bottle. the various ones we tried were just okay. not a huge disappointment, but definitely not a special occasion restaurant for anyone willing to spend $150. there must be something better in the Cville area.Special Features:
- Wonderful 21st CelebrationLtCarpDined on 6/29/2014I wanted to take my daughter to a special, "new" place to celebrate her 21st B-day. A notable downtown gem is always are "go-to" place, but I wanted to give them a new experience. The Ivy Inn was exceptional. This was actually my third visit since January, and every time the quality of food and outstanding service has outweighed any place in Charlottesville. I commend the owner for the consistency in the quality of ingredients and creative flare of the menu choices. We will return again and again.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerR1108Dined on 6/28/2014Superb service in an old Inn. The food is locally grown, farm raised or fresh caught. Extensive wine menu, although a bit pricy. Our food was served hot and presented attractively on the plate and was enjoyable. The wait service was exceptionally attentive and helpful. I highly recommend this restaurant but would check out the menu before you go as the prices are a little on the high side. We will definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- Just deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014Had a wonderful steak that was cooked to perfection along with the Petite-Petit red wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceJoeGDined on 6/28/2014The food was fantastic! Creative, plentiful, and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely visit againVNLN4foodDined on 6/27/2014Lovely facility. Being a home/restaurant conversion, it has a quaint and homey atmosphere. Smallish rooms,friendly welcoming staff and our server was attentive but not intrusive. My crab cake was delicious, jumbo lump as it should be. My husband was not fond of a pasta dish he ordered, but it was replaced graciously and promptly, sign of successful management. Scrumptious Sticky Toffee dessert, highly recommend and not to share:) We had dinner the night before at The Old Mill Inn at the Boar's Head and The Ivy Inn scored way above in all categories: customer service, atmosphere and food. Our experience at the Ivy Inn was really a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate Dining ExperienceJayBDined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed well prepared food and attentive service in an intimate atmosphere. The shrimp and grits were excellent as were the trout and salmon. The cream puff desert was and excellent choice to complete a delicious dinner. This is another wonderful restaurant in a converted older home where you are able to share good food with friends in quiet, casual-elegant surroundings.Special Features:
- DjdtVIPDined on 6/27/2014First ate at the Ivy Inn around 1997, when we lived in Harrisonburg. Been to many NJ and NYC restaurants, this one is still our favorite.Special Features:
- Romantic Setting - DeliciousheartyDined on 6/22/2014We spent our anniversary dinner at The Ivy Inn and, once again, the food is terrific, the setting in an old house means you have plenty of space in a warm, intimate setting. The wait staff couldn't have been more helpful as my husband is gluten-intolerant and requires some special discussions/menu changes which they were most willing to accommodate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous waiter, fabulous foodWallisDined on 6/21/2014We read other reviews before making a reservation which were all favorable, so we knew it would be a good experience. Out waiter was a gem and very knowledgeable about food and wine. Two of us had trout which was the best piece of trout that we have ever had. Salads were fresh and interesting. Wine list was diverse with not the usual wines. Overall, this was one of the highlights for our weekend trip.Special Features:
- PasmalDined on 6/15/2014Very very good food. We were a party of 5 and we all found our food excellent. We may go back to Charlotesville just for this restaurant.