The Ivy Inn Restaurant
2244 Old Ivy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Ivy Inn Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ivyinnrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4349771222x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Daily: 5:00- 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Angelo Vangelopoulos
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Available for private on premise catering with no rental extras. Can cater off premise but will require rental of equipment. Menus tailored to fit you needs.
- Private Party Facilities: We have four indoor dining rooms and a tented garden patio that is used April through November. Any and all areas can be reserved for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Farrell Vangelopoulos 4349771222x
- Entertainment: No live entertainment
- Special Events: Available for special events. Wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, bridal lunches or brunches, business dinners.
A word from The Ivy Inn Restaurant
The Ivy Inn restaurant features locally-inspired seasonal American cuisine. Located in an historic house built originally in late 1700"s. Conveniently located about a mile west of the University of Virginia. Small family business that loves to support our incredible local farmers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Ivy Inn Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
The Ivy Inn Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (111)romantic (96)fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (53)notable wine list (45)great for outdoor dining (23)good for groups (18)scenic view (6)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We celebrated Judy's 39 birthday again; Great champagne, Hors d'oeuvres, main course, dessert and after dinner drinks! Great meal great service great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place with great serviceHershy1VIPDined on 9/26/2014Went for such a wonderful dinner -- so fabulous that I am writing this review (atypical for me).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectAvalynn42Dined on 9/22/2014We came here with our family after our elopement wedding on skyline drive...everything about the ivy inn was perfect for our wedding dinner. Every person in our group, including our 10 year old daughter- cleaned their plate. The food was truly outstanding, service spot on, soft music played in the background. They had us upstairs at a nice table for our group, and they included special touches and extras for our special occasion. My husband who is the harshest food critic and who is also very knowledgable when it comes to fine dining was sure to give his compliments to the chef as we left. Thank you ivy inn for making dinner on our special day absolutely perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversaray dinnerSwedeDined on 9/21/2014Enjoyed our dining here in celebration of our 40th wedding anniversay. The complimentary champagne was nice and special anniversary noted menu. The food was good, the pan seared duck foie gras just melted in the mouth as an appetizer plus entrees of trout and my wife had the seafood pasta dish. Atmosphere on the second floor was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food In ALL of C-ville!ChristyDined on 9/20/2014We were a party of four on our first visit to Ivy Inn and it certainly won't be our last. We were scoping out this venue for our son's rehearsal dinner. After dinner, we decided it was at the top of our list. It will be very difficult to narrow down our choices when it comes to menu planning. A really lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average dinnerhungrytravelerDined on 9/18/2014This was our third visit to the Ivy Inn. We decided to stray from our usual dishes (rack of lamb and steak) and tried something new. The flounder was very good, but the seafood pasta was only OK. We will come back, but will stick with the lamb and stead next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Incredible!BeeRichardVIPDined on 9/18/2014First time at the Ivy. Service was impeccable and food was incredible. The shrimp and grits are an absolute necessity to try…and they will surely become a favorite. Prices are very reasonable. We're are not local to the area but wish we were so the Ivy would be one of our regular place to dine.Special Features:
- 5 StarsFood4fayDined on 9/18/2014This was quite a surprise, a truly wonderful restaurant. Also outstanding service. We've been going to Charlottesville for years and have been missing this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charlottesville gemBimmer69guyDined on 9/16/2014The ambiance ,service, and food were outstanding. Our waiter,Simon, had a large number of customers but was still very attentive and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic PleasureRicoDined on 9/13/2014Very impressed with the service and food. Some might have considered the pace of the meal slow, but it was perfect for a group of 6 that wanted to chat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful space, fine meal, flawsgastronautDined on 9/12/2014After walking 30 minutes from 10th Street, we decided to dine on the Patio and relax -- the staff accommodated us handily. Attentive but not overbearing service, and our menus had my S.O.'s birthday wish on the top, a nice touch. We started with a couple good cocktails before moving to dinner. I followed with locally sourced pork -- I miss the tasty pork that's not afraid of a bit of fat, and was assured it wasn't the flavorless product at most places; it was flavorful, but to my taste, a bit over-cooked and ... stringy. I would have preferred it verging on pink and definitely more moist. When the red wine arrived, it was a very warm room temperature -- like the bottles were stored in a hot kitchen, so we asked for an ice bucket to chill.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceDrSyrahDined on 9/6/2014Everything was right: The food, the service, the ambiance. And a great winelist! A true gem in Charlottesville.Special Features:
- Perfect for a celebrationusma81Dined on 9/6/2014Crispy Fried Halloumi Cheese appetizer was fabulous as well as the Bibb lettuce salad that had a topping of very large crispy onion rings. Seafood Linguine and the Bison main courses were divine. Favorite dessert was the Sticky English Toffee Pudding, very tasty sweet. Unique bar drinks was a nice start to the celebration. We will be back!Special Features:
- DizpDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful dinner and enjoyable experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencepeterDined on 9/6/2014With my partner we visited Thomas Jefferson's Monticello last weekend. After the whole day of exploring and learning about history we decided to treat ourselves to a nice dinner in Charlottesville. The Ivy Inn Restaurant caught our attention immediately so we made a reservation there. It was a great decision. The experience was impeccable, starting with the cozy and warm atmosphere of the house, followed by an amazing service, all the way to the delicious meal that we enjoyed very much. The Ivy Inn Restaurant definitely deserves 5 stars!Special Features:
- Fabulous experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014My husband and I are new to the area and enjoy fine dining. The Ivy Inn did not disappoint. We had an absolutely delicious meal from appetizer to dessert, to the wine we ordered. The shrimp and grits appetizer is a must order! Service was impeccable and the setting was charming. I am sure we will be back soon.Special Features:
- We enjoyed itSpringrollDined on 9/4/2014The restaurant is a lovely venue. Very charming house/inn setting. Food is delicious and our service very nice. I would come back again for sure. The shrimp and grits appetizer is my favorite, next time I would have it as my entree. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Still in good formJagmanDined on 9/3/2014The Ivy Inn continues to put out great meals night after night. The signature appetizers are the am fog mushrooms and the shrimp&grits. They are both outstanding. Entrees are created with care and the chef has no problems with substitutions. Overall, a very fine dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/2/2014This was the second time we visited the Ivy Inn and the experience was excellent on both occasions; outstanding food and service. We brought relatives from out of town and they enjoyed the dinner as much as we did. Great place for excellent dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ivy Inn--What a gem!BULLZEYEDined on 8/30/2014Quaint ambiance and attentive, friendly staff complement the chef's delicious menu ... do not miss this place when you're in Charlottesville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great ChoiceTexasflyerDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I enjoyed a leisurely dinner at this quaint restaurant. We enjoyed specialty cocktails and selected a fine wine for dinner. I opted for chilled watermelon gazpacho soup, heirloom tomato salad and a half order of house made ravioli pasta. My wife had squash soup, beet salad and half order of house made vegetarian linguine. We ended our delightful evening with cappuccinos and sharing dessert. All the food presentations were delightful and tasty. Rachel provided excellent service and the Chef sent out little surprises throughout the evening. Portions may be small for some but they were just right for us. The Ivy Inn was a memorial evening for us.Special Features:
- Great anniversary spot!IvydinerDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I celebrated our 28th anniversary at The Ivy Inn last weekend. What a wonderful experience. The atmosphere was relaxed, the service excellent and the food exceptional! It surpassed our expectations.Special Features:
- Food with a historyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014Great little restaurant with a historical background. Service was great. We enjoyed everything from drinks to dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Ivy is a classicOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014We had a private party of 15 upstairs in one of the converted bedrooms. Dinner was spectacular. Service was great! This is a quieter non-stripmall higher-end dining experience in a converted residence that really is special.Special Features:
- Excellent food, great service.Foodieman4009Dined on 8/24/2014Pleasant reception and nice alcove table for a special occasion. Foie gras was beautifully prepared as was the lamb and trout, all supported by a solid wine list. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eveningLoLoDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated our 20th anniversary at The Ivy, and it was lovely. The food was delicious, and the setting, with the many small rooms as opposed to one large room, was very intimate.Special Features:
- ILoveBrunchVIPDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary at the Ivy Inn this past weekend and could not have been more pleased with the experience. The food was incredible (I had the pork chop while my husband had the trout) and the service was awesome. At no point did I feel like I was being rushed out of the restaurant (in fact the treats sent out by the chef made me feel as if he wanted me to stay and continue enjoying the atmosphere as long as possible) and our server was absolutely delightful. I highly recommend the Ivy Inn for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Still wonderful 30 years laterdrewDined on 8/23/2014Still very good and romantic. Portions were plentiful and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are very appreciative!AshcroftDinersDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary here and could not have been more impressed. When I made the reservation, I knew I'd mentioned it was our anniversary, but didn't recall listing which one. Thanks to Old Ivy Inn, they reminded me-- because our menus were very kindly imprinted with "Happy 8th Anniversary!" Nice touch, and it kept getting better from there. We were treated to a complimentary flute of champagne and then our waiter, Alex, answered all of our questions and made a most superb recommendation to accommodate our entrees. From appetizer to entrée to dessert, every course was incredibly well prepared, served, and enjoyed. Old Ivy is now among our very-most favorites-- thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheCasualFoodieDined on 8/22/2014Dining at Ivy Inn is always fantastic. I love that the portions are small, but the flavors are vibrant and the food satisfying. The complimentary champagne, rolls, and after-dinner blondie were much appreciated, and I liked that our server took the time to tell us what ingredients went into various dishes. The building itself is also lovely - I love the creaking floors, the intimacy of the soft lighting. This is my favorite restaurant in Charlottesville. Thank you for this magnificent dining experience. I treated my friend from Chicago to dinner here, and she absolutely loved it.Special Features:
- a local favoritehedgehogDined on 8/17/2014This is one of the best local restaurants for this type of general menu at this level. It has been consistent over many years. The service is good and one is not rushed, the seating is comfortable, and the noise level is (most of the time) not off-putting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really nice experienceargus77hDined on 8/16/2014The service was impeccable, the dining room was nice (maybe a bit dated, but I didn't mind that), and the food was perfectly prepared. The only mis-step was that the portions of food were rather small. I don't want big, but these were notably tiny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2014the food was all absolutely wonderful. service was fabulous. nice wine selection. sure, it's a little pricey - but well worth it! definitely will returnSpecial Features:
- Exquisite!SDvisitorDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I just returned from a special anniversary trip to the east coast. During our adventure, we stayed for two nights in Charlottesville; I wanted to orchestrate a special anniversary dinner...after completing an exhaustive on-line search of restaurants, I selected The Ivy Inn. Simply stated, it was the perfect choice! We were seated outside (with our permission), which was delightful. Our server (Robert) was excellent - well versed, personable, enthusiastic, and eager to insure our satisfaction. We ordered the shrimp-grits appetizer (Robert's recommendation), the mountain trout with scalloped potatoes, and peach crisp. Every item was fabulous - delicious and perfectly presented. It was exquisite...a truly memorable dinner!Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemslhmDined on 8/9/2014Food menu was varied and used local fresh ingredients. The food was well prepared. Service was attentive. I will make this a regular place for dinner and to take friends.Special Features:
- One Year AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014We've celebrated a lot of different occasions but were completely blown away by how much The Ivy Restaurant went above and beyond our expectations in giving us an amazing anniversary dinner. This is a night we won't forget and definitely makes us want to come back again! The food was perfectly prepared and the waitress was just the right amount of attentive and seemed to read our minds in terms of anything we may want. I would strongly recommend this place for any romantic special occasion; the noise is quiet so you don't have to yell to have a conversation. We didn't choose the outdoor seating but saw several people taking advantage. I'm so happy we chose this restaurant to celebrate our first of many milestones together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/7/2014lovely evening--no rush--met with old friend to catchup--last ones out probablySpecial Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/2/2014Definitely lived up to expectations. The food was cooked to perfection. The crispy skin on the duck breast... to the shrimp and grits. Just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice dinnerIssaDined on 8/2/2014We had a very nice dinner at The Ivy Inn Restaurant last Saturday. The service was well timed and pleasant. The food was very tasty and well prepared. We sat outside on the patio because we had our dog with us. It was comfortable and relaxing. I'd recommend this restaurants to anyone who wants a reasonable priced good meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and interesting menugirlsknowfoodDined on 8/1/2014Love this place. Only drawback is the decor is not up to the standard of the cuisine and service.Special Features: