The Italian Barrel
430 Barracks Street
New Orleans, LA 70116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
The Italian Barrel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.italianbarrel.com/
- Phone: 5045690198
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Samantha Castagnetti /Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Italian Barrel
Fine dining awaits you in our intimate dining area both indoors and outdoors as well as seating at our premier bar. Our marble-top bar greets you upon entry, you will find yourself in candle light looking at white linen tables that are positioned on beautiful wood and brick flooring surrounded by bottles of fine Italian wines. The Chef and Owner brings her city in Northern Italia to you via overnight shipments of imported Italian food and boast over 40 wines almost all are served by the glass- Authentic food is an understatement - this is the real thing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
The Italian Barrel - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
The Italian Barrel reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (66)neighborhood gem (62)fit for foodies (60)special occasion (48)great for outdoor dining (32)notable wine list (30)great for lunch (16)great for brunch (9)late-night find (8)hot spot (8)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- Every Meal CountsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014I wanted to like this place. I enjoy food from across the culinary spectrum. In fact, since I moved to NOLA, I had yet to eat at a restaurant where I could not say at least one nice thing. Until yesterday. The waitress explained it was because they were closing the next day. I understand the rationale, but given that they called me to ask whether I would show up, I thought they would show up as well. But they didn't. Of a menu of four pages, they had perhaps five items. As the waitress said, "We have chicken and some pasta. That's it." The waitress was rude to my date. The pasta was cold. The mozzarella was old. When it was time for dessert, she said, "Here's the bill. You don't want dessert, because we don't have any." Every meal counts.
- A nice surprise from the usualOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014We were recommended to go here by a shop owner on Magazine Street. Small place (but they're expanding). Food was outstanding and a nice change from what we had been eating and more of the usual NO places. It's a bit hidden away but certainly findable. Glad we went.Special Features:
- Great find!LuvmyOpentableDined on 10/14/2014While many suggested "notable" restaurants in New Orleans, we took a chance on a tiny place no one mentioned. What a wonderful little place to dine! It was quaint and cozy (7 tables inside) and absolutely delicious! I believe, the best meal we had during our stay! Well worth the walk from Canal Street. You can be sure I will make a reservation there if ever I'm in NOLA again! We were informed that they were expending in the coming weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that that changes nothing but the size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014Loved it - great menu - food is excellent! We were late in arriving -we had to wait for a table - was well worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jan01Dined on 10/10/2014Took 5 friends. Their first visit. They were all impressed with the whole dining experience. Don't need to go into detail. Everything was wonderful. They would all return and recommend to their friends. That's NC and Ohio. I'm from Mississippi.Special Features:
- First visit!SEBindyDined on 10/8/2014From out of town, and found this little gem online and decided to celebrate a birthday dinner there with friends. Great service, excellent bruschetta, amazing chocolate mousse. All fresh stuff! Thanks to the staff for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food too much a/cdebeVIPDined on 10/8/2014We always enjoy the delicious authentic food!! Two visits now we have had the same problem with the a/c blowing too hard on our table for two at the front. We had to go get jackets from the car! The waitress said we had to consider the kitchen. I think a/c should be added to the kitchen so the diners could be comfortable. Maybe a deflector could be added so the air goes up first and not directly on the guest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar SeatingGeoLaneDined on 10/4/2014This was my second visit to Italian Barrel with my husband. I made reservations over a week in advance via OpenTable for our first wedding anniversary. Despite the advance reservation, it seems we were penalized for reserving via web and seated at the bar by the door. We were next to the 'drama' of walk-ins being declined, constant phone calls, waiters hustling and occasionally venting. I would have preferred a table for our romantic evening. Our dinner was delicious. Next time I will call in for our reservations.Special Features:
- MUST VISIT - Italian BarrelCherylDined on 10/4/2014Quaint little restaurant with wonderful authentic Italian cuisine. Lovely atmosphere - haven eaten both inside and outside. Wait staff is attentive and the food is WONDERFUL!!! Make sure to save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little gem in the French Quartergah123Dined on 10/4/2014I stumbled upon this little quaint italian restaurant when I was looking at a map of the French Quarter on my phone, and I'm so glad I did. It is an extremely small establishment, probably only 8 tables or so inside, and a few more tables outside, but it was so cute and quaint, and unexpected that we really enjoyed it compared to some of the bigger more known restaurants in the French Quarter. The wine was great, and the food was fabulous. Glad we stopped by for a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Loved It!sharibabyDined on 10/2/2014Finally, a real Italian restaurant in New Orleans! Not Creole Italian but Italian! The wine list is great, the food was AMAZING. Penne w/Vodka Sauce was loaded with crabmeat and oh so yummy! Pumpkin Ravioli was to die for. Attentive service and a nice atmosphere in the tiny dining room made it a fantastic experience! Can't wait to repeat it!Special Features:
- Real Italian foodMangioneDined on 9/28/2014The vitello tonnato was excellent. I loved the mushroom ravioli with cream, and teh grilled veal shop with rosemary and asparagus was delicious.Special Features:
- Always a winner..........Cajun123VIPDined on 9/28/2014Never fails to amaze me with excellent food; wonderful service and a lovely ambience. The food is consistently delicious - pastas, carne or the ever-amazing sea bass......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing dinnerBradDined on 9/26/2014The food, the service, the decor. It was all amazing. The server was funny, informative, attentive. The food was good, slightly underseasoned for my taste but cooked well. Dessert was great. Regardless of any small critique I may have I will visit here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian RestaurantJennVIPDined on 9/23/2014This is by far the best Italian restaurant I have ever been to. I've eaten here four times and have never been disappointed!Special Features:
- Best Italian food in townWarehouseDined on 9/21/2014All the dishes I have tried here have been delicious. My friend had a veal chop and could not stop saying how delicious it was. All the pasta dishes here are awesome too. Very friendly staff too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceExpensiveDined on 9/19/2014Way too expensive .... Food was good but not that good, service was poor to fair, ambiance so so. Nothing notable about this restaurant exept it is wayyyy overpriced.Special Features:
- Great place!MangiamoDined on 9/15/2014The Italian Barrel has excellent food, drink, service and atmosphere. I highly recommend it. I love the small dining room and extremely knowledgable and friendly staff. They work together as a team and make sure everyone is taken care of. The chef creates some absolutely fabulous and authentic dishes. We all loved the entire experience. The only drawback is once it is full it is loud. Go early and go often.Special Features:
- LovelyTxtravelsDined on 9/11/2014Delicious food! We opted for the filets which were excellent with both the Gorgonzola and peppercorn sauce options. Brussels sprouts and olive plate also very good. Service was friendly and efficient. Many excellent wine options at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and outstanding serviceStephaniedinnerreviewsDined on 9/11/2014After reading several good reviews and really wanting Italian food, we decided to give Italian Barrel a try. We were pretty impressed. It is a very small restaurant so make sure to have reservations. The servers pay attention to detail, which often doesn't happen anymore. We got the cheese plate with honey and polenta tasting for starters. I loved the truffle honey with the cheese. It took me back to our trip to Croatia for truffle season. My husband ordered the Arabiata pasta and it was definitely the favorite for us. I had the gnocchi with meat sauce and it was good but the gnocchi seemed a little pasty, like it was undercooked. All in all, a good experience. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!LadyBirdDined on 9/9/2014Four for lunch. We drove from Baton Rouge because of the rave reviews the restaurant had earned. Each of us had the Penne Alla Vodka. Jumbo Lump Crabmeat in a velvety vodka sauce tossed with penne pasta. Was very good. The owner came and talked with us and when she found out we all ordered the same thing she sent us 4 Porcini & Truffle Ravioli. Fresh pasta with porcini mushrooms & truffle topped with creamy white wine sauce & a splash of extra virgin white truffle olive oil so we could try. Hands down the best! Wish I had ordered it. I will definitely order when we go again. Very small establishment but they are expanding. Definitely worth the trip from Baton Rouge.Special Features:
- Great little spot.jkross454VIPDined on 9/6/2014Veal Chop and Chilean Sea Bass are outstanding. Friendly wait staff, cozy, and romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitMarkGVIPDined on 9/6/2014My fiancée and I had heard from numerous friends about the Italian Barrel. We finally made it here and it was fantastic. The prosciutto and cantaloupe appetizer was fresh and flavorful as was the Insalata Di Mare. We shared the gnocchi with gorgonzola white sauce and the pumpkin ravioli. Food and service were great. We can't wait to return.Special Features:
- All great except the cold staffOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014The place came highly recommended to me, despite my reluctance to have italian food in New Orleans. The place was charming. Loved the atmosphere and the food was very good. While the service was good in terms of timing, the staff (from check in to waitress) does not offer the southern hospitality that you find in other restaurants in that great city. They almost seemed annoyed. I have read the same from other reviewers..............their is a little too much attitude, and the food isn't exceptional enough to overcome that. Don't think I will return.Special Features:
- Are we in Italy?jgdeuxDined on 9/4/2014when i eat there, it feels as if i am dining somewhere in Italy. The cozy place at the end of the French Quarter provides quality Italian food hard to find on this side of the Atlantic. The cheese is incredible. The dishes are inventive. Enjoy.Special Features:
- AuthenticGoldiVIPDined on 9/4/2014The food is authentic Italian and very good. The service is efficient and very friendly. What a great find. Reservations are a must as The Italian Barrel is a very tiny restaurant. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very desapointing experiencePMiamiDined on 8/31/2014Our expectations were very high, but what was supposed to be a very pleasant night became a confused and desapointing experience: we made a reservation but they didn't have a table ready; we had to stay at the bar! No problem, it could even have been interesting, if was not for the presence of a group of clients that were waiting for their table. The waitress was just able to control them, and we had them on our back all the time, making lots of noise and disturbing our moment. The food is good, but nothing amazing.
- Italian BarrelPeteyDined on 8/28/2014Excellent food. Best veal parmigiana I have ever had including all my trips to Italy. Friendly and knowledgeable staff. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingjlgmwgVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great food. Great Italian wine list. I have been there multiple times and have never been disappointed. Very small and slightly cramped inside but is expanding dining area. Outdoor dining available but on the sidewalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpected find!kittenVIPDined on 8/25/2014Someone told me about this restaurant who lived in New Orleans for several years. I've been to NOLA a number of times and there are so many wonderful restaurants, but this tiny Italian place near the French market surpassed my expectations. The dining room is very small with only 7 tables but the food is fresh and fabulous and the service friendly and efficient!Special Features:
- JocomoDined on 8/23/2014Best Italian food in New Orleans. Highly recommend the porcini ravioli !!!!Very small restaurant with only 7 tables which is why we sat at the bar. I only wish Open table would have let me know our seats were at the bar when I made the reservation. It was our 16 anniversary and no matter how good the food was, sitting at the bar was not what I had in mind. I will go again because the food was great but not on a special occasion. They did give us the option to sit outside but August in Louisiana is not the best for outdoor dining. All in all good food, and atmosphere just wish I could have had a table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDined on 8/19/2014Great food. Great service. Loved it so much we are going back tonight. A small bit of Italy in New OrleansSpecial Features:
- New Orleans Best ItalianMississippiQueenDined on 8/9/2014Quaint and charming! Must make reservations to ensure seating. Fantastic bruschetta and the most amazing meat and cheese platter. Truffle ravioli the BEST! a must try!Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I brought my girlfriend for lunch on her birthday. The good was amazing and the service was too. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Embarrassment at the barrelglennbobDined on 8/6/2014We had been 2x before and was good. We brought friends. Food was terrible, hair in a Salad, red sauce was consistent with water. veal chop was a fat pad and potato crock was a cheese ball. The worse part was the service. After many complaints we never saw a manager. The waiter said in a quizicle way "there is nothing i can do about it. I said yes there is. tell the chef or manager to come out here. The only good was the wine. I don't believe i will go again. I left a note on the bill for them to call me about this experience. So far have not heard anything.Special Features:
- nice experience28anniversaryDined on 8/1/2014we visited Italian Barrel for our anniversary. food was very good and our server was knowledgeable and friendly. There were 4 of us and our food did not come out at the same time. Otherwise, a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will come back oftenLveitlbrlDined on 7/31/2014Always good food, great service, always open! *****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a tuneupLafayette1Dined on 7/28/2014I've been to this restaurant a few times since it opened and always liked its character as a reasonably authentic northern Italian restaurant. The food varies quite a bit and there could be a bit more of an emphasis on seafood given the New Orleans location. The mussels were good, the Bresaola salad was good. The Fusilli were a leaden mess with only a hint of proscuitto. The veal chop special was quite good. The bread was incredibly boring. Not sure if i'll go back.Special Features:
- RRfoodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014excellent choice for anytime dining. Great food, service and ambiance. A real hidden gem that feels very much like you're at someone's home. Take a seat at the very intimate bar for a quick snack and glass of wine.Special Features:
- Love this place!restaurantvicVIPDined on 7/25/2014We have been there several times and are never disappointed. One word of caution, always ask the price of the special. Sometimes it is quite high.Special Features: