The Italian Barrel
430 Barracks Street
New Orleans, LA 70116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
The Italian Barrel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.italianbarrel.com/
- Phone: (504) 569-0198
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Samantha Castagnetti /Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Italian Barrel
Fine dining awaits you in our intimate dining area both indoors and outdoors as well as seating at our premier bar. Our marble-top bar greets you upon entry, you will find yourself in candle light looking at white linen tables that are positioned on beautiful wood and brick flooring surrounded by bottles of fine Italian wines. The Chef and Owner brings her city in Northern Italia to you via overnight shipments of imported Italian food and boast over 40 wines almost all are served by the glass- Authentic food is an understatement - this is the real thing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
The Italian Barrel - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
The Italian Barrel reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (77)neighborhood gem (70)romantic (61)special occasion (44)great for outdoor dining (38)notable wine list (34)great for lunch (22)late-night find (14)hot spot (12)scenic view (7)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- After the renovation/expansionTCNOLAVIPDined on 11/23/2014My Mom was in town for Thanksgiving and we wanted to go down to the Quarter for lunch and stroll around the French Market on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in New Orleans. This was the first time we've dined back at our FAVORITE restaurant in NOLA since they expanded their dining room (and kitchen). Sam did a great job keeping the charm and class of the original. The service continues to be outstanding and the cuisine is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/20/2014Service excellent. Food OK. But in NOLA, you would expect a high end Italian place to at least make its own pasta, right? Heck I can cook someone else's pasta. For this reason, if you want Italian in NOLA, I would look for a true Italian place that makes everything from scratch. This isn't it. But we liked our server...
- Great Italian In NOLAprufrockDined on 11/20/2014Outstanding renovation (and expansion). Excellent Italian food and wonderful service from Kendall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yearly TreatLynalainDined on 11/18/2014We visit New Orleans each year and make sure to dine at The Italian Barrel. The food is absolutely delicious and authentic. This year we were surprised to find the decor had changed. It is not as cozy and charming but I must say it is elegant and the charm is now more contemporary Italian........well done! Late lunch or dinner, it is a true dining pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MojoDined on 11/16/2014Small and quaint but noisy. Great food and service -1Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent meal in this small & comfy placeLiseDined on 11/16/2014Food & wine: spectacular Italian accompanied by excellent service & ambiance on a quiet Sunday afternoon. We will be back over Christmas with family!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completely renovated!LoriDined on 11/15/2014What a welcome surprise to see the "new look" for a wonderful old establishment in the French Quarter! the food was wonderful as always and now there is a much larger dining area with more light and space. It was a pleasant experience, cant wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Italian food in the French quarterCheckitoutDined on 11/14/2014Superb, authentic Northern Italian food in the French quarter, prepared by an Italian transplant from Verona. Fresh ingredients, delicately flavored, many of which have been imported from Italy – a treat for Italian food lovers. Good wine list. Newly expanded, the tasteful restaurant now sports a lovely bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bigger and better than everjgdeuxDined on 11/11/2014Due to the fact that a trip to this eatery is like stepping into a restaurant in northern Italy, Demand for seating has resulted in a larger and newer interior. The food is still so fresh and authentic. The cheese is divine and so is NicolaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic, fresh and flavorfulNOLAphileDined on 11/10/2014Athankss a lover of all things northern Italian, this was a wonderful find. Excellent wine list. Portions were plentiful. Service was a little scattered, but the group effort made it seamless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BYOBVieuxCarreDined on 11/8/2014We have eaten at the Italian Barrel since the week it opened and live a mere few blocks away. Through the years we have enjoyed each and every meal here. Samantha, the owner/chef, has done an incredible job. However, the other night our waitress was so incredibly rude, snippy and sarcastic that frankly she ruined our meal. She also waited on a table of friends of ours, 6 people, and each and every one of them had the same experience. She should not be working in a restaurant, period. (BTW, if you would like butter with your bread forget it - you must bring your own. BYOB. Ridiculous. Butter here is for cooking only and will not be served to the tables. Our "waitress" was very, very clear on that point.)Special Features:
- Always wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014Been here many times and it never disappoints! Recently renovated and significantly larger than the original size, however that doesn't take away from the personal touches they provide. Always spectacular dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold PastaFiorentinoDined on 11/5/2014Restaurant just had an expansion and now the pasta arrives cold maybe it will get betterSpecial Features:
- Even better than the first timecalgaryjetgirlDined on 11/3/2014My husband and I first vistited the Italian Barrel in 2011, our last trip to New Orleans. Our server Miles was terrific. He was there when you needed him, quick to refil water. I had the vodka penne with crab which was delicious! The serving was actually a little too big for me likely because it was a very rich dish but no complaints, it was perfect. My husband had the veal parm with linguine. He reallly enjoyed it and commented that the veal was nice and thin, moist and the breading was perfect. The sauce had the right level of tang, A+ all around. The wine menu has an nice selection of by the glass options if you aren't looking to order a bottle but the bottle choices and prices give a good selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming, cozy Italian placeCTfoodieDined on 11/2/2014Walking into the Italian Barrel, you feel like you've been invited into someone's home. The place, which had just been expanded/renovated, has a very warm, cozy feel to it, and our server made us feel very welcome. As for the food, it's very good. Our appetizers (seafood salad, prosciutto and melon) were excellent. And our entrees (lasagna, veal with porcini mushrooms, and the veal chop) were very good, too. Dessert (Tartufo) was a bit of a let down, as were our coffee drinks (very weak), and the bread at the start of the meal. Overall, a very good meal, but not a good value. Food was overpriced for what it is -- basically Italian comfort food. Would have preferred smaller portions with a smaller price tag.Special Features:
- great foodmelaDined on 11/2/2014Due to time change confusion on our part, we were eating during the staff change, so the service was a little off. However once our server started, she was excellent. The food was excellent also. The porcini ravioli was to die for....the brussel sprouts were fab...as was the bruschetta .the restaurant is small and rather noisy. Make reservations way ahead. There is no valet parking and not much parking in the surrounding area....so taxi or walk....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous renovationLizStelzDined on 11/1/2014This was our first time dining at Italian Barrel since they finished their renovation and expansion. The dining room is gorgeous and the space is wonderful. The food, as usual, was excellent and fresh. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Like being in ItalyPeterDined on 10/31/2014We have searched for food as good as we experienced in Italy since returning from Northern Italy. We found it at the Italian Barrel in NOLA. We discovered this New Orleans gem 5 years ago and in a city known for fabulous food, we always eat here at least once ever visit. The Italian chef/owner has a great Italian wine selection. And the food captures that allusive amazing freshness and flavor so easily found in Italy and so hard to find here in the States.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT!Cajun123VIPDined on 10/31/2014Always a lovely experience. Excellent food and service. Sam's hit a home run with the new added space. Beautiful, warm and inviting. Nita PSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place.DebbieDoesFoodDined on 10/30/2014Food is fantastic and the ambiance is romantic. The first time I went o was back two days later. Usually need a reservation because they usually have a full house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newly renovated and wonderful!ASL3Dined on 10/30/2014We've eaten at the Italian Barrel over the years but often found it too cramped and getting run down even though the food was always stellar. We went on the 30th which happened to be the first day they were open since completely expanding and finishing renovations. What a wonderful room with a lively bar, plenty of light from the many windows looking out onto the Quarter Streets. It had the same friendly staff (with a few additions to cover all the new tables) and fresh, delicious northern Italian food. The pastas hand made there, the seafood bountiful and the meats done perfectly. The chef has a wonderful touch with seasoning and sauces.Special Features:
- Every Meal CountsGoodFoodGoodLifeDined on 10/19/2014I wanted to like this place. I enjoy food from across the culinary spectrum. In fact, since I moved to NOLA, I had yet to eat at a restaurant where I could not say at least one nice thing. Until yesterday. The waitress explained it was because they were closing the next day. I understand the rationale, but given that they called me to ask whether I would show up, I thought they would show up as well. But they didn't. Of a menu of four pages, they had perhaps five items. As the waitress said, "We have chicken and some pasta. That's it." The waitress was rude to my date. The pasta was cold. The mozzarella was old. When it was time for dessert, she said, "Here's the bill. You don't want dessert, because we don't have any." Every meal counts.
- A nice surprise from the usualOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014We were recommended to go here by a shop owner on Magazine Street. Small place (but they're expanding). Food was outstanding and a nice change from what we had been eating and more of the usual NO places. It's a bit hidden away but certainly findable. Glad we went.Special Features:
- Great find!LuvmyOpentableDined on 10/14/2014While many suggested "notable" restaurants in New Orleans, we took a chance on a tiny place no one mentioned. What a wonderful little place to dine! It was quaint and cozy (7 tables inside) and absolutely delicious! I believe, the best meal we had during our stay! Well worth the walk from Canal Street. You can be sure I will make a reservation there if ever I'm in NOLA again! We were informed that they were expending in the coming weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that that changes nothing but the size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014Loved it - great menu - food is excellent! We were late in arriving -we had to wait for a table - was well worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jan01Dined on 10/10/2014Took 5 friends. Their first visit. They were all impressed with the whole dining experience. Don't need to go into detail. Everything was wonderful. They would all return and recommend to their friends. That's NC and Ohio. I'm from Mississippi.Special Features:
- First visit!SEBindyDined on 10/8/2014From out of town, and found this little gem online and decided to celebrate a birthday dinner there with friends. Great service, excellent bruschetta, amazing chocolate mousse. All fresh stuff! Thanks to the staff for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food too much a/cdebeVIPDined on 10/8/2014We always enjoy the delicious authentic food!! Two visits now we have had the same problem with the a/c blowing too hard on our table for two at the front. We had to go get jackets from the car! The waitress said we had to consider the kitchen. I think a/c should be added to the kitchen so the diners could be comfortable. Maybe a deflector could be added so the air goes up first and not directly on the guest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar SeatingGeoLaneDined on 10/4/2014This was my second visit to Italian Barrel with my husband. I made reservations over a week in advance via OpenTable for our first wedding anniversary. Despite the advance reservation, it seems we were penalized for reserving via web and seated at the bar by the door. We were next to the 'drama' of walk-ins being declined, constant phone calls, waiters hustling and occasionally venting. I would have preferred a table for our romantic evening. Our dinner was delicious. Next time I will call in for our reservations.Special Features:
- MUST VISIT - Italian BarrelCherylDined on 10/4/2014Quaint little restaurant with wonderful authentic Italian cuisine. Lovely atmosphere - haven eaten both inside and outside. Wait staff is attentive and the food is WONDERFUL!!! Make sure to save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little gem in the French Quartergah123Dined on 10/4/2014I stumbled upon this little quaint italian restaurant when I was looking at a map of the French Quarter on my phone, and I'm so glad I did. It is an extremely small establishment, probably only 8 tables or so inside, and a few more tables outside, but it was so cute and quaint, and unexpected that we really enjoyed it compared to some of the bigger more known restaurants in the French Quarter. The wine was great, and the food was fabulous. Glad we stopped by for a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Loved It!sharibabyDined on 10/2/2014Finally, a real Italian restaurant in New Orleans! Not Creole Italian but Italian! The wine list is great, the food was AMAZING. Penne w/Vodka Sauce was loaded with crabmeat and oh so yummy! Pumpkin Ravioli was to die for. Attentive service and a nice atmosphere in the tiny dining room made it a fantastic experience! Can't wait to repeat it!Special Features:
- Real Italian foodMangioneDined on 9/28/2014The vitello tonnato was excellent. I loved the mushroom ravioli with cream, and teh grilled veal shop with rosemary and asparagus was delicious.Special Features:
- Always a winner..........Cajun123VIPDined on 9/28/2014Never fails to amaze me with excellent food; wonderful service and a lovely ambience. The food is consistently delicious - pastas, carne or the ever-amazing sea bass......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing dinnerBradDined on 9/26/2014The food, the service, the decor. It was all amazing. The server was funny, informative, attentive. The food was good, slightly underseasoned for my taste but cooked well. Dessert was great. Regardless of any small critique I may have I will visit here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian RestaurantJennVIPDined on 9/23/2014This is by far the best Italian restaurant I have ever been to. I've eaten here four times and have never been disappointed!Special Features:
- Best Italian food in townWarehouseDined on 9/21/2014All the dishes I have tried here have been delicious. My friend had a veal chop and could not stop saying how delicious it was. All the pasta dishes here are awesome too. Very friendly staff too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceExpensiveDined on 9/19/2014Way too expensive .... Food was good but not that good, service was poor to fair, ambiance so so. Nothing notable about this restaurant exept it is wayyyy overpriced.Special Features:
- Great place!MangiamoDined on 9/15/2014The Italian Barrel has excellent food, drink, service and atmosphere. I highly recommend it. I love the small dining room and extremely knowledgable and friendly staff. They work together as a team and make sure everyone is taken care of. The chef creates some absolutely fabulous and authentic dishes. We all loved the entire experience. The only drawback is once it is full it is loud. Go early and go often.Special Features:
- LovelyTxtravelsDined on 9/11/2014Delicious food! We opted for the filets which were excellent with both the Gorgonzola and peppercorn sauce options. Brussels sprouts and olive plate also very good. Service was friendly and efficient. Many excellent wine options at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.