The Italian Barrel
430 Barracks Street
New Orleans, LA 70116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
The Italian Barrel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.italianbarrel.com/
- Phone: 5045690198
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Samantha Castagnetti /Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Italian Barrel
Fine dining awaits you in our intimate dining area both indoors and outdoors as well as seating at our premier bar. Our marble-top bar greets you upon entry, you will find yourself in candle light looking at white linen tables that are positioned on beautiful wood and brick flooring surrounded by bottles of fine Italian wines. The Chef and Owner brings her city in Northern Italia to you via overnight shipments of imported Italian food and boast over 40 wines almost all are served by the glass- Authentic food is an understatement - this is the real thing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Italian Barrel - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
The Italian Barrel reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (74)special occasion (65)fit for foodies (63)neighborhood gem (60)notable wine list (49)great for outdoor dining (41)great for lunch (21)late-night find (11)scenic view (9)great for brunch (9)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- Italian BarrelPeteyDined on 8/28/2014Excellent food. Best veal parmigiana I have ever had including all my trips to Italy. Friendly and knowledgeable staff. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingjlgmwgVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great food. Great Italian wine list. I have been there multiple times and have never been disappointed. Very small and slightly cramped inside but is expanding dining area. Outdoor dining available but on the sidewalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpected find!kittenVIPDined on 8/25/2014Someone told me about this restaurant who lived in New Orleans for several years. I've been to NOLA a number of times and there are so many wonderful restaurants, but this tiny Italian place near the French market surpassed my expectations. The dining room is very small with only 7 tables but the food is fresh and fabulous and the service friendly and efficient!Special Features:
- JocomoDined on 8/23/2014Best Italian food in New Orleans. Highly recommend the porcini ravioli !!!!Very small restaurant with only 7 tables which is why we sat at the bar. I only wish Open table would have let me know our seats were at the bar when I made the reservation. It was our 16 anniversary and no matter how good the food was, sitting at the bar was not what I had in mind. I will go again because the food was great but not on a special occasion. They did give us the option to sit outside but August in Louisiana is not the best for outdoor dining. All in all good food, and atmosphere just wish I could have had a table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDined on 8/19/2014Great food. Great service. Loved it so much we are going back tonight. A small bit of Italy in New OrleansSpecial Features:
- New Orleans Best ItalianMississippiQueenDined on 8/9/2014Quaint and charming! Must make reservations to ensure seating. Fantastic bruschetta and the most amazing meat and cheese platter. Truffle ravioli the BEST! a must try!Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I brought my girlfriend for lunch on her birthday. The good was amazing and the service was too. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Embarrassment at the barrelglennbobDined on 8/6/2014We had been 2x before and was good. We brought friends. Food was terrible, hair in a Salad, red sauce was consistent with water. veal chop was a fat pad and potato crock was a cheese ball. The worse part was the service. After many complaints we never saw a manager. The waiter said in a quizicle way "there is nothing i can do about it. I said yes there is. tell the chef or manager to come out here. The only good was the wine. I don't believe i will go again. I left a note on the bill for them to call me about this experience. So far have not heard anything.Special Features:
- nice experience28anniversaryDined on 8/1/2014we visited Italian Barrel for our anniversary. food was very good and our server was knowledgeable and friendly. There were 4 of us and our food did not come out at the same time. Otherwise, a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will come back oftenLveitlbrlDined on 7/31/2014Always good food, great service, always open! *****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a tuneupLafayette1Dined on 7/28/2014I've been to this restaurant a few times since it opened and always liked its character as a reasonably authentic northern Italian restaurant. The food varies quite a bit and there could be a bit more of an emphasis on seafood given the New Orleans location. The mussels were good, the Bresaola salad was good. The Fusilli were a leaden mess with only a hint of proscuitto. The veal chop special was quite good. The bread was incredibly boring. Not sure if i'll go back.Special Features:
- RRfoodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014excellent choice for anytime dining. Great food, service and ambiance. A real hidden gem that feels very much like you're at someone's home. Take a seat at the very intimate bar for a quick snack and glass of wine.Special Features:
- Love this place!restaurantvicVIPDined on 7/25/2014We have been there several times and are never disappointed. One word of caution, always ask the price of the special. Sometimes it is quite high.Special Features:
- Hidden Gemgam3Dined on 7/24/2014A small restaurant that delivers a big meal. Wonderful ambiance, food, & service. This is a must if you like Italian food & want to eat in the FQ. It's an absolute must on the Italian food alone, however. I will definitely be a repeat dinerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect end to NOLA vacationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014The Italian Barrel was perfect for ending a three day vacation that had been filled with Creole food. Outstanding service, spectacular desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint little Italian restaurantTravelinbamafansDined on 7/19/2014Outstanding Italian cuisine from appetizer to the dessert. Definitely want to dine after sunset there with candlelight for a romantic evening. The staff was excellent, giving great suggestions for entree. Only negative was a lady behind us had an obnoxious loud laugh, in the small dining area. Was nice and quiet before she came in to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014All was great but the sorbet with white chocolate is the best in class for a light summer dessert. Thanks Italian BarrelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We have wanted to try it for some time. Very glad we did. Thoroughly enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous Italian gemDavidDDined on 7/16/2014When I think of New Orleans food, I don't normally think Italian but this place is definitely worth a visit. True, authentic Italian food in a quaint charming building. This will be a regular stop on future trips to NOLA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restuarantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014My wife and I had reservations for 9 but the host informed us that the tables were running behind. Through no fault of the restaurant, we ended up waiting for over an hour. We were in no hurry so we waited with a glass of wine. The staff really took good care of us and despite my objections, they made up for the wait with some complementary food and drink as well as the attention they showed us. They truly went above and beyond. Although I've not mentioned it yet, the food was outstanding and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. With the combination of excellent food and customer service, we will be back. We've told many of our friends about this place and all have enjoyed it. Can't wait to return. Thanks.Special Features:
- Happy birthday Paige And daddy MikeHappyBirthday3356Dined on 7/10/2014I must say this was one of our favorite places now to celebrate a birthday are any special event. Thank y'all for making it great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing little gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/9/2014Everything about our experience this evening was fantastic. The service was superb and the desserts were more than amazing! I loved every dessert so much that I consider them being an option for wedding desserts. I hope they'd be able to cater. The chef has obviously done a great job of thinking through details. I ordered the sea bass of the evening and it was delicious. Again, great date night and even taking a small number of clients to this amazing little gem in the French quarter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quaint visit to Northern ItalyitalianmamaDined on 7/6/2014The Italian Barrel was such a special treat. We felt so much at home in the warm, cozy Italian restaurant and felt we had traveled to Northern Italy for a great meal. The food was unsurpassed in New Orleans! Our waiter was from Venice, young and energetic and helped us with menu selections! The entire wait staff was so friendly and so efficient. We can't wait to go back to experience the ambiance and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little Italian placepicklesaregreenDined on 7/6/2014Great food, excellent service, and a really fun atmosphere. Small, but cozy. Best to go in a group of 4 or less-great for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedLizzyMeatsDined on 7/5/2014My grandmother is 100% Italian, right off the boat from Naples. Not much can rival her homemade meatballs, fettucine, and gravy in her little home in South Philadelphia. I was skeptical to try Italian food outside of Philly, but Italian Barrel's red sauce is absolutely delicious. Everything from the bruschetta, caprese salad to the truffle ravioli and penne pasta with italian sausage was pleasing to the pallette. I highly recommend this restaurant for Italians and non-Italians alike. Delicious. And the wait staff is adorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedTriniVIPDined on 7/5/2014BUT this time I was disappointed. I had the veal porcini and I did not find it flavourful. Service was very good as usual. I wish they would tailor their prices for the locals.Special Features:
- French Quarter cozyNOLAJOEVIPDined on 7/4/2014Great staff. Very cozy bar. Great street side tables to take in the quarter. The portions are huge. Split everything. Put this one in your rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ItalianBentheadsVIPDined on 7/3/2014For us this is still the most authentic Italian (not Italian-American!) restaurant in the New Orleans area. The chef/proprietor is from Verona and uses the finest ingredients, frequently imported, to achieve a true Italian quality of dining. Yes it is cramped and can be noisy but it is also quite attractive and they are expanding soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be backJwxyzVIPDined on 6/30/2014Have eaten here several times. Its convenient to our house in the FQ & the food is normally fabulous. The restaurant is TINY, so if you feel claustrophobic easily, this is not the place for you. My raviolis were dry & bland, and my sausage was cut up in little bits and overcooked. My partners food was fine. The check came and we were charged $9 for the side pasta, and $10 for the side of sausage! I could have ordered my usual lump crab pasta and come out cheaper! The curt service, the chef's lack of respect for her patrons (parking on the sidewalk at the entrance to her restaurant, then lingering for several minutes smoking out the window in her vehicle before leaving) and the price gouging on the sides really left a bad taste in our mouth.
- Big Easy ItalianDinningDonDined on 6/29/2014Awesome Italian food in the middle of the French Quarter. Service, very attentive! Make sure to make an OpenTable reservation as they only have about 6 tables inside. Second timer!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alway GoodCharlieHDined on 6/28/2014Have been to the barrel many times. It so awesome. Glad to hear they are expanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Olivia17Dined on 6/21/2014We have eaten at The Italian Barrel several times. It is a must, for us, when we are in New Orleans. A local find!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- see belowOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/21/2014We were very disappointed. Our last visit here had been a wonderful experience. We had a corner table near the bathroom and were bumped by everyone using the facilities. They were out of lasagna, which 2/4 diners wanted. Food took 2 hours and was served one entree at a time. We were not offered refills on wine. In a 3 hour time period, I was only able to get 2 glasses of wine. When we asked about the status of our orders, we were basically chided by the manager. Dinner should not take 3 hours! We will not return.Special Features:
- mother daughterJDbrownDined on 6/20/2014I took my 23 year old daughter to dinner for FestiGals! It was wonderful! I have been to the Italian Barrel a few times, but it was her first time. She loved it! We had wonderful service from a handsome waiter. She's ready to go back, and so am I!Special Features:
- Fabulous Food and ServiceLisaLasVegasDined on 6/20/2014Outstanding Italian Food in the French Quarter. Quaint restaurant with some of the best Italian Food I've had anywhere. The service is outstanding I we loved everything about our experience there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in Italian Barrel !2fordininginbigeasyDined on 6/15/2014We has reserved a table, as it was our anniversary dinner. Rerferred by our innkeeper at The Soniat House. Inside seating area small and intimate. The dinner was pricy and poor. The clam apetizer was not notable, and the filet mignon special was dry and tasteless. We were very disappointed. Our waiter however was excellent, and the restaurant slpit the two (2) dishes was asked (we had split (shared) the apetizer clams, and the entre and pasta dishes. still we were disappointed in the qulaity if the food generally. even though we had booked thru Open Table, no mention was made of our anniversary,but the wait staff was indeed excellent.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/15/2014Waitress was very inattentive and had a very flat affect. We've been many times and loved the restaurant....this time the food was not up to par and service was horrible. Doubt that we will return.Special Features:
- Father's Day treat!TCNOLAVIPDined on 6/15/2014Unbelievable food, terrific wines, delicious desserts, great service. We love to sit outside across from the US mint and around the corner from the French MarketSpecial Features:
- best italian in nolamurphyVIPDined on 6/14/2014bruschetta starter, pasta second, and veal entree make for a perfect meal enjoyable small wine list with familiar bottles from visits to Italy 7 cramped tables available by reservation made friends with the couple next to us and exchanged tastes of mealSpecial Features:
- My favorite Italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Italian Barrel is by far my favorite authentic Italian restaurant in NOLA. Excellent food, wine and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.