The Italian Barrel
430 Barracks Street
New Orleans, LA 70116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
The Italian Barrel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.italianbarrel.com/
- Phone: 5045690198
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Samantha Castagnetti /Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Italian Barrel
Fine dining awaits you in our intimate dining area both indoors and outdoors as well as seating at our premier bar. Our marble-top bar greets you upon entry, you will find yourself in candle light looking at white linen tables that are positioned on beautiful wood and brick flooring surrounded by bottles of fine Italian wines. The Chef and Owner brings her city in Northern Italia to you via overnight shipments of imported Italian food and boast over 40 wines almost all are served by the glass- Authentic food is an understatement - this is the real thing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Italian Barrel - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
The Italian Barrel reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
romantic (70)fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (59)special occasion (58)notable wine list (45)great for outdoor dining (38)great for lunch (16)late-night find (11)great for brunch (8)hot spot (7)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- Great place!MangiamoDined on 9/15/2014The Italian Barrel has excellent food, drink, service and atmosphere. I highly recommend it. I love the small dining room and extremely knowledgable and friendly staff. They work together as a team and make sure everyone is taken care of. The chef creates some absolutely fabulous and authentic dishes. We all loved the entire experience. The only drawback is once it is full it is loud. Go early and go often.Special Features:
- LovelyTxtravelsDined on 9/11/2014Delicious food! We opted for the filets which were excellent with both the Gorgonzola and peppercorn sauce options. Brussels sprouts and olive plate also very good. Service was friendly and efficient. Many excellent wine options at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and outstanding serviceStephaniedinnerreviewsDined on 9/11/2014After reading several good reviews and really wanting Italian food, we decided to give Italian Barrel a try. We were pretty impressed. It is a very small restaurant so make sure to have reservations. The servers pay attention to detail, which often doesn't happen anymore. We got the cheese plate with honey and polenta tasting for starters. I loved the truffle honey with the cheese. It took me back to our trip to Croatia for truffle season. My husband ordered the Arabiata pasta and it was definitely the favorite for us. I had the gnocchi with meat sauce and it was good but the gnocchi seemed a little pasty, like it was undercooked. All in all, a good experience. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!LadyBirdDined on 9/9/2014Four for lunch. We drove from Baton Rouge because of the rave reviews the restaurant had earned. Each of us had the Penne Alla Vodka. Jumbo Lump Crabmeat in a velvety vodka sauce tossed with penne pasta. Was very good. The owner came and talked with us and when she found out we all ordered the same thing she sent us 4 Porcini & Truffle Ravioli. Fresh pasta with porcini mushrooms & truffle topped with creamy white wine sauce & a splash of extra virgin white truffle olive oil so we could try. Hands down the best! Wish I had ordered it. I will definitely order when we go again. Very small establishment but they are expanding. Definitely worth the trip from Baton Rouge.Special Features:
- Great little spot.jkross454VIPDined on 9/6/2014Veal Chop and Chilean Sea Bass are outstanding. Friendly wait staff, cozy, and romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitMarkGVIPDined on 9/6/2014My fiancée and I had heard from numerous friends about the Italian Barrel. We finally made it here and it was fantastic. The prosciutto and cantaloupe appetizer was fresh and flavorful as was the Insalata Di Mare. We shared the gnocchi with gorgonzola white sauce and the pumpkin ravioli. Food and service were great. We can't wait to return.Special Features:
- All great except the cold staffOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014The place came highly recommended to me, despite my reluctance to have italian food in New Orleans. The place was charming. Loved the atmosphere and the food was very good. While the service was good in terms of timing, the staff (from check in to waitress) does not offer the southern hospitality that you find in other restaurants in that great city. They almost seemed annoyed. I have read the same from other reviewers..............their is a little too much attitude, and the food isn't exceptional enough to overcome that. Don't think I will return.Special Features:
- Are we in Italy?jgdeuxDined on 9/4/2014when i eat there, it feels as if i am dining somewhere in Italy. The cozy place at the end of the French Quarter provides quality Italian food hard to find on this side of the Atlantic. The cheese is incredible. The dishes are inventive. Enjoy.Special Features:
- AuthenticGoldiDined on 9/4/2014The food is authentic Italian and very good. The service is efficient and very friendly. What a great find. Reservations are a must as The Italian Barrel is a very tiny restaurant. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very desapointing experiencePMiamiDined on 8/31/2014Our expectations were very high, but what was supposed to be a very pleasant night became a confused and desapointing experience: we made a reservation but they didn't have a table ready; we had to stay at the bar! No problem, it could even have been interesting, if was not for the presence of a group of clients that were waiting for their table. The waitress was just able to control them, and we had them on our back all the time, making lots of noise and disturbing our moment. The food is good, but nothing amazing.
- Italian BarrelPeteyDined on 8/28/2014Excellent food. Best veal parmigiana I have ever had including all my trips to Italy. Friendly and knowledgeable staff. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingjlgmwgVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great food. Great Italian wine list. I have been there multiple times and have never been disappointed. Very small and slightly cramped inside but is expanding dining area. Outdoor dining available but on the sidewalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpected find!kittenVIPDined on 8/25/2014Someone told me about this restaurant who lived in New Orleans for several years. I've been to NOLA a number of times and there are so many wonderful restaurants, but this tiny Italian place near the French market surpassed my expectations. The dining room is very small with only 7 tables but the food is fresh and fabulous and the service friendly and efficient!Special Features:
- JocomoDined on 8/23/2014Best Italian food in New Orleans. Highly recommend the porcini ravioli !!!!Very small restaurant with only 7 tables which is why we sat at the bar. I only wish Open table would have let me know our seats were at the bar when I made the reservation. It was our 16 anniversary and no matter how good the food was, sitting at the bar was not what I had in mind. I will go again because the food was great but not on a special occasion. They did give us the option to sit outside but August in Louisiana is not the best for outdoor dining. All in all good food, and atmosphere just wish I could have had a table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDined on 8/19/2014Great food. Great service. Loved it so much we are going back tonight. A small bit of Italy in New OrleansSpecial Features:
- New Orleans Best ItalianMississippiQueenDined on 8/9/2014Quaint and charming! Must make reservations to ensure seating. Fantastic bruschetta and the most amazing meat and cheese platter. Truffle ravioli the BEST! a must try!Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I brought my girlfriend for lunch on her birthday. The good was amazing and the service was too. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Embarrassment at the barrelglennbobDined on 8/6/2014We had been 2x before and was good. We brought friends. Food was terrible, hair in a Salad, red sauce was consistent with water. veal chop was a fat pad and potato crock was a cheese ball. The worse part was the service. After many complaints we never saw a manager. The waiter said in a quizicle way "there is nothing i can do about it. I said yes there is. tell the chef or manager to come out here. The only good was the wine. I don't believe i will go again. I left a note on the bill for them to call me about this experience. So far have not heard anything.Special Features:
- nice experience28anniversaryDined on 8/1/2014we visited Italian Barrel for our anniversary. food was very good and our server was knowledgeable and friendly. There were 4 of us and our food did not come out at the same time. Otherwise, a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will come back oftenLveitlbrlDined on 7/31/2014Always good food, great service, always open! *****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a tuneupLafayette1Dined on 7/28/2014I've been to this restaurant a few times since it opened and always liked its character as a reasonably authentic northern Italian restaurant. The food varies quite a bit and there could be a bit more of an emphasis on seafood given the New Orleans location. The mussels were good, the Bresaola salad was good. The Fusilli were a leaden mess with only a hint of proscuitto. The veal chop special was quite good. The bread was incredibly boring. Not sure if i'll go back.Special Features:
- RRfoodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014excellent choice for anytime dining. Great food, service and ambiance. A real hidden gem that feels very much like you're at someone's home. Take a seat at the very intimate bar for a quick snack and glass of wine.Special Features:
- Love this place!restaurantvicVIPDined on 7/25/2014We have been there several times and are never disappointed. One word of caution, always ask the price of the special. Sometimes it is quite high.Special Features:
- Hidden Gemgam3Dined on 7/24/2014A small restaurant that delivers a big meal. Wonderful ambiance, food, & service. This is a must if you like Italian food & want to eat in the FQ. It's an absolute must on the Italian food alone, however. I will definitely be a repeat dinerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect end to NOLA vacationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014The Italian Barrel was perfect for ending a three day vacation that had been filled with Creole food. Outstanding service, spectacular desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint little Italian restaurantTravelinbamafansDined on 7/19/2014Outstanding Italian cuisine from appetizer to the dessert. Definitely want to dine after sunset there with candlelight for a romantic evening. The staff was excellent, giving great suggestions for entree. Only negative was a lady behind us had an obnoxious loud laugh, in the small dining area. Was nice and quiet before she came in to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014All was great but the sorbet with white chocolate is the best in class for a light summer dessert. Thanks Italian BarrelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJST66Dined on 7/18/2014We have wanted to try it for some time. Very glad we did. Thoroughly enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous Italian gemDavidDDined on 7/16/2014When I think of New Orleans food, I don't normally think Italian but this place is definitely worth a visit. True, authentic Italian food in a quaint charming building. This will be a regular stop on future trips to NOLA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restuarantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014My wife and I had reservations for 9 but the host informed us that the tables were running behind. Through no fault of the restaurant, we ended up waiting for over an hour. We were in no hurry so we waited with a glass of wine. The staff really took good care of us and despite my objections, they made up for the wait with some complementary food and drink as well as the attention they showed us. They truly went above and beyond. Although I've not mentioned it yet, the food was outstanding and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. With the combination of excellent food and customer service, we will be back. We've told many of our friends about this place and all have enjoyed it. Can't wait to return. Thanks.Special Features:
- Happy birthday Paige And daddy MikeHappyBirthday3356Dined on 7/10/2014I must say this was one of our favorite places now to celebrate a birthday are any special event. Thank y'all for making it great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing little gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/9/2014Everything about our experience this evening was fantastic. The service was superb and the desserts were more than amazing! I loved every dessert so much that I consider them being an option for wedding desserts. I hope they'd be able to cater. The chef has obviously done a great job of thinking through details. I ordered the sea bass of the evening and it was delicious. Again, great date night and even taking a small number of clients to this amazing little gem in the French quarter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quaint visit to Northern ItalyitalianmamaDined on 7/6/2014The Italian Barrel was such a special treat. We felt so much at home in the warm, cozy Italian restaurant and felt we had traveled to Northern Italy for a great meal. The food was unsurpassed in New Orleans! Our waiter was from Venice, young and energetic and helped us with menu selections! The entire wait staff was so friendly and so efficient. We can't wait to go back to experience the ambiance and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little Italian placepicklesaregreenDined on 7/6/2014Great food, excellent service, and a really fun atmosphere. Small, but cozy. Best to go in a group of 4 or less-great for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedLizzyMeatsDined on 7/5/2014My grandmother is 100% Italian, right off the boat from Naples. Not much can rival her homemade meatballs, fettucine, and gravy in her little home in South Philadelphia. I was skeptical to try Italian food outside of Philly, but Italian Barrel's red sauce is absolutely delicious. Everything from the bruschetta, caprese salad to the truffle ravioli and penne pasta with italian sausage was pleasing to the pallette. I highly recommend this restaurant for Italians and non-Italians alike. Delicious. And the wait staff is adorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedTriniVIPDined on 7/5/2014BUT this time I was disappointed. I had the veal porcini and I did not find it flavourful. Service was very good as usual. I wish they would tailor their prices for the locals.Special Features:
- French Quarter cozyNOLAJOEVIPDined on 7/4/2014Great staff. Very cozy bar. Great street side tables to take in the quarter. The portions are huge. Split everything. Put this one in your rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ItalianBentheadsVIPDined on 7/3/2014For us this is still the most authentic Italian (not Italian-American!) restaurant in the New Orleans area. The chef/proprietor is from Verona and uses the finest ingredients, frequently imported, to achieve a true Italian quality of dining. Yes it is cramped and can be noisy but it is also quite attractive and they are expanding soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be backJwxyzVIPDined on 6/30/2014Have eaten here several times. Its convenient to our house in the FQ & the food is normally fabulous. The restaurant is TINY, so if you feel claustrophobic easily, this is not the place for you. My raviolis were dry & bland, and my sausage was cut up in little bits and overcooked. My partners food was fine. The check came and we were charged $9 for the side pasta, and $10 for the side of sausage! I could have ordered my usual lump crab pasta and come out cheaper! The curt service, the chef's lack of respect for her patrons (parking on the sidewalk at the entrance to her restaurant, then lingering for several minutes smoking out the window in her vehicle before leaving) and the price gouging on the sides really left a bad taste in our mouth.
- Big Easy ItalianDinningDonDined on 6/29/2014Awesome Italian food in the middle of the French Quarter. Service, very attentive! Make sure to make an OpenTable reservation as they only have about 6 tables inside. Second timer!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.