The Island House Restaurant
17 Atlantic Ave
Wachapreague, VA 23480Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Island House Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theislandhouserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7577874242
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Thursday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Charles Thain
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let us cater your special off-premise event. Chef Charles Thain has built a great reputation for excellent food from casual fare to your most formal event. Call (757) 787-4242 and sit down with us to plan your next event!
- Private Party Contact: Nick McCrea 7577874242
- Entertainment: Live entertainment on weekends. Give us a call to inquire!
- Special Events: Voted 2011 "Best Seafood Restaurant" and "Best Crab Cake" by readers of Shore Secret's Magazine!
A word from The Island House Restaurant
The Island House Restaurant overlooks the seaside waterfront of Virginia's Eastern Shore. Enjoy one of America's most beautiful wildlife estuaries while sipping local wines and fresh local seafood in the quaint seaside village of Wachapreague. If you've never ventured off of Hwy 13, you don't want to miss it!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Island House Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Wachapreague ›
The Island House Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (14)great for outdoor dining (11)special occasion (11)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (7)fit for foodies (6)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)romantic (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- 1sttimeDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful food, service went beyond expected. Met us at door with wheelchair for handicapped guest. Will go back soon to try other wonderful sounding selections from menu. Desserts fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sure SHORE thing!ashoretreasureDined on 8/28/2014We don't have many choices of RELIABLE eateries on the Eastern Shore. Ever since we took a chance on returning to the Island House after being bought my a new owner, it is now our number 1 place to dine. We have constant guests and for a while there, the only RELIABLE and CONSISTENT restaurant was Wendy's and then even that place was questionable. . . So now, hands down - ISLAND HOUSE!! Thank you new owners for bringing back class to our small part of the world. Great service, wonderful wait staff, attentive owners, yummy food with REAL local options - it's just a winner in our book!!Special Features:
- Wonderful seaside diningTravelerDined on 8/21/2014We loved the outside balcony sea side. Food was good and plentiful. Quick friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TasteJFreviewDined on 8/16/2014Food was very bland, lacked flavor and seasoning. Drinks were ok. Dessert was nothing special.
- Great food great nightmartidollDined on 8/16/2014Was a wonderful meal and always great service and great attention to detail. Thanks so much!Special Features:
- Seaside findBamagirlDined on 7/31/2014Great seafood restaurant with multiple selections of fresh catch of the day. The gift shop is totally worth the trip with a beautiful selection of hand painted wine glasses. My friends and I have collected one with each visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L. H. "Chip" Bridges IIILhbridges3rdDined on 7/7/2014Great view of the water and marsh. The crab cakes were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views, wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014I'm not really a seafood type of person, yet this place had me eating (and loving) calamari and clam strips. My husband ordered the chef's special steak and our son (who is sooooo picky) ordered a menu special named after the town. All of the food was amazing and everyone went home happy. We were too stuffed for dessert, though. The staff was very friendly and gave us info on sites to see before we left town. Can't wait to go back again soon!Special Features:
- The following 22 reviews are from the The Island House Restaurant reviews archive.
- Outstanding choice for Wachapreagueluv2fishDined on 5/2/2014The Island House has great food, exceptional service and worth returning to over and over again. The owner is committed to providing excellent dining experiences to his patrons and it shows. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steve PSteveDined on 4/11/2014We've been before new ownership and after before our recent visit. The food has been ok most of the time; excellent once or twice; but fairly mediocre more than once. The drinks are very small and overpriced. I realize that our last visit with my visiting family from NY was on a Friday night, but the noise level was unnerving. It was very difficult to have conversation without leaning and yelling. I personally don't care for the "cafeteria style" setup of the restaurant. We had discussed going to either the Shanty in Cape Charles, Aqua in Cape Charles or the Island House. We chose the Island House strictly because of the shorter drive from our home in Jamesville, since our family/visitors had a long drive to Hilton Head the next morning.Special Features:
- Valentines Day MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Wish that they had more of a selection for the Valentines Day menu. Too gourmet for us Eastern Shore local folks. The meal was good, just not what we had expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with a wonderful viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014We started with the Oysters Parramore, WONDERFUL as are the fried oysters. On special were Lamb Chops with a mustard shallot sauce that were grilled to perfection. The crab cakes were filled with meat and served with a "Bloody Mary Gazpacho". Both served with roasted asparagus & mashed potatoes. Another pick was the fried flounder platter. The outside was crispy & golden yet tender on the inside. The broiled scallops were another great choice. The prep. choices being fried, broiled, blackened or bronzed. For dessert we chose the Chocolate bread pudding rich & delicious puts it mildly. Our server was friendly, tidy, well informed & professional. We heard the chef had just come on board....We say Keep up the great work & we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Eve DinnersuzyqDined on 12/31/2013The atmosphere and service was fine and entertaining. The raw oysters were filled with chips of shells and the main course of crab imperial was dry and tasteless. It's a shame we ordered the crab imperial because the people in an adjacent table said their meals were great, they had the prime rib. We were very disappointed, the cost of the meal was over $100 for 2 and neither of us could finish our meal and the waitress heard our complaints, but did nothing to help. We would eat their again, but would definitely complain next time directly to the manager, since the waitress was no help. We would have appreciated a different meal selection, but nothing was offered be our waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Birthday Dinner for TworockyDined on 11/22/2013I took my honey there for his birthday. We enjoyed a delicious seafood dinner at a table near the window where we had a nice view of the boats on the water. It was a very romantic birthday dinner and we had great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed food qualityDukeDined on 10/15/2013We had a group of eight golfers and made reservations on line. Table was ready when we arrived although it wasn't really necessary on a Tuesday night in October. Service was very good but the food was good and bad. Fried oysters and broiled sea scallops were very good. Crab cake was worst I have ever had and left over half of it on the plate. Broiled fish was not very tasty but I finished it. Really thought it would be very good seafood and was disappointed. Would not go back on another golf trip.Special Features:
- Nice place for dinnerMikeyDined on 8/10/2013There are so few good restaurants in the area, this gem was a great find !. The owners and staff were very friendly and made sure everything was to our satisfaction. The Broiled Scallops were OUTSTANDING. Lots of local and homemade items.Special Features:
- ConvenientOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2013The Island House Restaurant is convenient if you're in Wachapreague. We stay at the Wachapreague Inn, right across the street, so we usually end up eating there, But the food and service are average. Don't go out of your way to eat there, but if you're in Wachapreague, you might as well eat there.
- Great seafood restaurantKenIsHappyDined on 7/24/2013We always make a point of having lunch or dinner when we visit the lower Eastern Shore of Virginia. Very nicely situated on the water facing Parramore Island. The seafood is heads above the rest. Great service from Kaity at window table 15.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeFoodieVIPDined on 7/24/2013Nice setting, great seafood and side dishes all with friendly service. Worth the driveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointed in theStweisDined on 7/24/2013A bit disappointed in the menu. This resturant is located on the water in an area famous for fresh fish, almost all the items were fried. Good but nothing special.Special Features:
- Best Fried OystersAMvandenHurkVIPDined on 7/7/2013This is a gem if you are willing to jump of Route 13 and visit this small hamlet on the ocean. Best crab cakes and fried oysters you can get on the Shore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great as wellpartyof4Dined on 7/6/2013The food was great as well as the view. The only complaint was that the a/c vents were in the wall under our table and we were freezing. We tried closing the vent but air still came through both. We were able to hang a purse on the corner of the table to block one vent and cut down on the air. We also ended up switching seats with our husbands since they both are usually bothered by cold air less. Unfortunately, by the end of our meal, they even complained. Perhaps plastic shields to direct the a/c down toward the floor instead of directly on the person would be a consideration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable girlfriends' dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2013The fantastic view of Eastern Shore marshes brings people to the Island House, but charter fishing, tourists, and locals keep this restaurant going. It has to serve a lot of varied tastes in food and atmosphere. Service was better than in the past, but servers need to be available and not checking in every 5 minutes. Bar service for us was poor that evening - drink order was slow and the evening's special drink had to be sent back . The food was very good, with ample portions of fresh vegetables and seafood, served in a standard fashion without flair to the plating. Entree off the printed menu + small side salad + 1 glass of wine + split dessert + coffee + 20% tip = $44.00 for one person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Island House - a hidden gemCinnnnnnnnnnnDined on 5/17/2013I told thw owner that I was glad that he is a member of Open Table otherwise we may not have visited. There are billboard ads on Route 13 but you tend to trust postings on Open Table. Fried flounder (delish), broiled crab cake(delish), shrimp/oysters (delish), sweet potatoe puff biscuits ("can you bring us some more"), all fresh, service was good, view was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood - founder andDaveMDined on 5/16/2013Great seafood - founder and crab dishes served alongside the back bays - love this place. It's not for everyone in that it's pretty remote but where else can you fish all day, come in, dock the boat, walk 50 yards and take a shower, then eat a great meal in another 50 yards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meeting placeOCBillDined on 5/4/2013This was the half way spot for my husband and I (from Ocean City) to meet my daughter and her husband (from Virginia Beach) to celebrate my husbamd's birthday. We had never been to the Island House, but it was a wonderful place to celebrate. Good food and a wonderful waitress named Megan made it a special occasion indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FindMunroeDined on 4/28/2013If you really enjoy fresh delicious food, this is the place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely the best restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/18/2012Definitely the best restaurant in Delmarva peninsula, halfway between Philly and Ocracoke Island, NC. I have spent several years looking for the definitive stop-over for lunch, trying several restaurants in Crisfield, MD and Ocancock, VA. I would definitely go there again in 2013!Special Features:
- The food was awsome as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/21/2012The food was awsome as always. We love Chef Charles. .Special Features:
- We stopped at Island HouseLeahJVIPDined on 3/30/2012We stopped at Island House on our way from Philadelphia to Norfolk after seeing them on Open Table. The staff at Island House are friendly and accommodating. The location is rustic and charming and just next door to the Wachapreague Marina. The fried seafood platter was fresh and delicious and everyone enjoyed the sweet potato puffs as an appetizer. We were also pleasantly surprised to see they had a full bar and offered specialty drinks. We would definitely recommend Island House!Special Features: