100 South Railroad Avenue
Ashland, VA 23005Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ironhorserestaurant.com/
- Phone: (804) 752-6410
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am-2:30pm; Saturday Lunch 12:00pm-2:30pm; Dinner: Monday-Saturday: 5:30pm-10:00pm; Bar: Monday-Saturday: 11:30am-1:00am: Sunday Brunch 10:00am-2:30pm. Entertainment: The Ironhorse offers local and Richmond regional entertainment Tuesday, Friday and alternating Saturdays. Live music beings at 8:30pm Tuesdays and 9:00pm on the weekends, continuing until midnight. An eclectic mix of jazz, bluegrass, folk, New Orleans-barrelhouse piano and the occasional ensemble band perform on the bar stage.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Rusell Stone
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Ironhorse can provide on-site banquet dining for up to 25 guests in our private dining room. Custom menus may be created to suit guest specifications. The Ironhorse also can deliver custom designed, staffed cocktail receptions for up to 250 guests. Drop-off, off-site breakfast and lunch delivery is also available.
- Private Party Facilities: A la carte or buffet private dining for up to 24 persons may be arranged by reservation of our Calvert Room. Should your needs exceed the capacity of our private room, the restaurant's main dining room may be reserved by prior arrangement.
- Private Party Contact: Charles Cannon 8047526410
- Entertainment: The Ironhorse offers local and Richmond regional entertainment Tuesday, Friday and alternating Saturdays. Live music begins at 8:30pm Tuesdays and 9:00pm weekends, continuing until midnight. An eclectic mix of jazz, bluegrass, folk, New Orleans-barrelhouse piano and the occasional ensemble band perform on the bar stage.
- Special Events: Special Events: Seasonal celebration menus are offered throughout the year highlighting local farm produce from Hanover County and bi-monthly wine tastings.
- Cross Street: England Street
- Public Transit: The Ironhorse Restaurant is located at 100 South Railroad Avenue, on the corner of England Street (Rt. 54) and Railroad Avenue - conveniently, one block South of the Ashland Train Station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: On-street parking is easily available.
A word from The Ironhorse
With a two-story sign located on the busiest rail line in the East, The Ironhorse is an undeniable landmark in Ashland, VA. Since 1993, The Ironhorse has provided fine food and drink to locals, travelers and destination diners in the heart of Ashland. As Ashland has appointed itself “center of the universe”, The Ironhorse serves as the “restaurant at the center of the universe” where you’re always “welcome back.” The Ironhorse presents a seasonally changing, market-driven menu that features hand-cut steaks and fresh regional seafood, as well as chef-inspired nightly specials. Lunch (11:30-2:30) and dinner (5:30-10:00) are served Monday thru Saturday – with a light fare menu continuously available all day. Sunday brunch is served from 10-2:30. A welcoming Bistro on one hand, an inviting neighborhood pub on the other; Ironhorse also offers a family-friendly, casual fare menu. Dining reservations gladly taken.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Ironhorse - Best Restaurants in Ashland ›
The Ironhorse reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (21)scenic view (15)special occasion (12)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (8)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (6)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Iron HorseHappycamperDined on 11/12/2014I took a client to Iron Horse for lunch. It was a charming eatery that fit well into the historic town of Ashland. The food was prepared well and our waiter was attentive to all of our needs. I would recommend this restaurant as a great lunch spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CoachMacDined on 11/7/2014Excellent food, excellent service and fun ambience just off the train tracks.Special Features:
- Not our best visit . . .HartEats14Dined on 10/31/2014We have been to Iron Horse several times enroute to Hilton Head. We always make it a point to stop for dinner there as we've never had a bad meal and we enjoy watching the trains go by. This time, however, there was a large wedding rehearsal dinner going on, which made service very slow. Though the food was quite good, everything was lukewarm. We sent our coffee back for the same reason. It arrived back still barely warm. Hope our next visit is better.Special Features:
- Ironsides is worth its metalCindyDined on 10/28/2014The food was excellent and geared toward the lovely fall weather. The pumpkin soup was outstanding as was the Ahi Yellow fin Tuna. The waitress was a little ditzy serving us the wrong wine for the second bottle, mixing the two wines in our glasses and she kept forgetting what we ordered! However, she was extremely pleasant and apologetic.Special Features:
- VictoriaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014The food was great ad our waitress was fabulous! Tried a cheese that I loved and have already gone out to buy it at Fresh Market!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old favoriteHardtopleaseDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I were in town for Homecoming at Randolph-Macon. We coordinated with several friends and booked a table for seven and were not disappointed in the food! My wife and I split a Caesar Salad and we both had the Rib-eye Steak special, both were excellent. The salad had the perfect amount of dressing and the steaks were cooked and seasoned perfectly. It was a pleasant experience and a nice surprise after our last visit in November 2013 that wasn't quite so good, so the food has improved!Special Features:
- Friday night dinnerviihillschickDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I were in Ashland for one night. We stayed within walking distance of the Ironhorse so that was our choice. We had the goat stuffed mushrooms to start, pecan crusted chicken and pot roast as entree's and key lime pie for dessert. Pot roast was very tender. Chicken was very juicy and flavorful but very salty. The restaurant itself was very charming...an old store front but it was so loud we couldn't have a conversation without repeating every few words. Even hearing our waitress was very difficult. At 9pm the band started and while they were very good it made it even louder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Trip &Celebrating birthdayPromiseDined on 10/9/2014I found this restaurant on Opentable looked at the reviews and thought I would give it a try. When I arrived at 5:45 the place was somewhat empty, by 6:15 when I finally got my appetizer the restaurant started to fill up. I had the shrimp and grits it was ok, I wanted the sweet potato gnocchi but they said they where waiting for their shipment. I had the filet with whipped potatoes and cream spinach. The sauce was good but the steak itself had no flavor and the cream spinach was canned. The waiter I guess was new however, new or not he was very slow, apologetic, and nice. It took me two hours for and appetizer and entree. Ridiculous! The dessert was on the house - it was the best thing for evening. Not sure if I would visit againSpecial Features:
- Delightful!JanRNDined on 9/16/2014We brought my son for his 18th birthday. What a treat! We had never been, and will definitely eat here again. The service was impeccable. The food was amazing, and we loved watching the trains go by. We had a great experience.Special Features:
- Brunch and TrainssunsetdonVIPDined on 9/14/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants and we always enjoy lunch and dinner here. This was our first Sunday Brunch and it lived up to the standard we had come to expect. We both had omelets and they were excellent. The staff is very friendly and our waitress, Brittany, was on top of her game. This restaurant is also unique because it is within about 20 yards of the tracks that both Amtrak and several freight trains travel on a regular basis (there were two in the one hour we were there). There are also some train employees that occasionally eat there. But the food is always good and you can depend on good service and a quality meal for a very reasonable price. Our meal - omelets, coffee, salads - $34.Special Features:
- Great local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Full of charm and character, with excellent food at a reasonable price. Not huge menu, but what is offered is fresh and nice. Good variety provides something for everyone. Makes a welcome change from the chain restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ol' Fe Horse ain't what it used 2 BJannieDined on 9/5/2014The menu has changed since last time; it's less interesting & more generic. We enjoy meeting friends there for lunch who are traveling the I-95 corridor. Now, it's just okay. It is easy to find the first time, and fun with the trains almost in your lap, nice people, but the food is now merely adequate. Will still support it, rather than Big Box chains, as atmosphere is nice, and nice tables and restrooms.Special Features:
- Pretty decent experience overallMomoDined on 9/3/2014My boyfriend, father and my boyfriend'a 4 year old all ate here on a weds night. The decor is a mix of fancy and not so much. The white table cloths were nice but the paper over them was weird. I work in a 4 star restaurant and I think this place is trying to be fancier than it should be. I had the almond encrusted salmon which was delicious but the portion was small for a $24 meal. I would've liked larger side portions. My dad had the pork chops which were great and the portion was much larger. My boyfriend had one of the specials. Some type of beef tips that were also delicious. I was pleased to find they had a 3 item kids menu which made the kid happy with chicken tenders and fries. I'll go back next time we meet in Ashland to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?OHBoy614VIPDined on 9/2/2014Just happened to be getting off amtrak at the ashland train station. Wanted to have dinner, and saw this place on open table. Made a reservation and it couldn't have been better! The watermelon salad was outstanding and the service was top notch. Go out of your way to have a fine do in experience here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kids love it, food is great!jk1234Dined on 8/31/2014We go for Sunday brunch and the kids love sitting up front so they can watch the trains go by. The food is amazing. Usually we have a great experience so hoping this time was just a bit off, as the service was not good and took a long time for the food to come out. With small kids a long wait is never a good thing! But in the end the location and food was still worth it!Special Features:
- Not worth the money.WeDaMannDined on 8/30/2014First visit there and my wife and I went for lunch. The food was OK to poor. My wife's apple pie was cold in the center and no flavor in the crust. All that for $65 for lunch. Was worth about half that. Wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Bumpass10Dined on 8/29/2014Food was outstanding. Service outstanding (highly recommend Jeffrey) He made us comfortable & was very helpful. Enjoyed the band very much (Totally Unrehearsed Band) Great music! Very relaxing evening, listening to wonderful music after outstanding meal while sitting at the bar. Nice bar scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014The Ironhorse was such a great find for our family after a long day at Kings Dominion. The food selection was excellent, the specials were creative and house-made; we enjoyed everything from apps to dessert. Visit them, you'll be glad you did!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ednlynDined on 8/16/2014Our food was excellent. Great tile fish and beef cruet specials. Service was good with the exception of a forgotten wine order. Outdoor dining gave a neat view of the old Ashland downtown mainstreet but was noisey due to traffic.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerMariehenDined on 8/9/2014It was my husband's birthday and I was looking for a special place to have dinner. The Ironhorse restaurant was perfect! Everything from the table near the window to the delicious food and wonderful wait staff was excellent. I would definitely go back to this restaurant!Special Features:
- A great reason to go to AshlandRocknrobnDined on 8/5/2014We don't get up to Ashland enough but when we do the Ironhorse is always fun and always good food!Special Features:
- DiscriminateVIPDined on 8/2/2014Service very slow at the beginning. Water poured, menus presented, cocktail orders taken, told specials would be explained later. (Ended up much later). After at least 10 minutes and looks around, finally cocktails arrived. Food had a lovely presentation but a salad with 3 watermellon slices, blue cheese between layers and priced in double digits is a little expensive for the venue. Ashland is a lovely town and the railroad location has its charm, but this establishment needs to do some evaluation and adjustments.Special Features:
- Whistle Stop DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Just passing through Ashland for business and a personal commitment. We tried for lunch and enjoyed it so much, we returned for dinner. Experience exceeded expectations. Great food, reasonable price, attentive staff, and small town atmosphere - what more could you ask? Have notified Guy Fieri that Diners has to make an Amtrak stop and visit this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/1/2014We used this as a dinner break traveling along I95. What a find. Great food. Great service. We had the duck breast and salmon dinners and both were cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening amid the rainDiningMeister414Dined on 8/1/2014It was almost a scene from a novel - I ran across the street through the rain to get to the restaurant and when I turned the corner, I looked through the glass door and saw people gathered 'round the bar, smiling and chatting. As I entered, I was immediately enveloped in this cozy atmosphere. I was immediately shown to my table, where my dear friend of 40+ years awaited me. Wait staff very quickly appeared and provided us a great wine recommendation. She wasn't intrusive but was always available through the evening. She also provided us with samples of the two delicious soups of the day. My meal (salmon) was absolutely terrific, so visually appealing I almost hated to disturb it! And the dark chocolate dessert carried me off to heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 346 reviews are from the The Ironhorse reviews archive.
- Great DinnerTripDined on 7/26/2014Saturday night (ealry evening) food was imaginative (feta and watermelon salad) and presnetation was excellent. Prices were reasonable. Sevice was great, Laura was engaging and was well acquainted with choices and was very attentive to usewhile we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodAnneDined on 7/25/2014The specials are always interesting and delicious, as well as everything else on the menu.
- Local gemMisterLDined on 7/24/2014I love finding local places in our travels and we have had some wins and some losers. Iron Horse in Ashland Va is an absolute gem, cool location awesome food and we loved it! Not cheap but worth it. The Key Lime Pie is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!McannonDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I dined here for our 27th anniversary. The food was excellent as well as the service. I would recommend The Iron Horse to others and hope to return soon myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It isn't like Rome, but...StandardGuyDined on 7/17/2014We took a couple of out-of-town friends here for a visit. After listening all day to them trash Richmond with their obnoxious "Well, it isn't like Rome (or Malaga or ....) but...." drivel, the Ironhorse proved to be a relief. The food was fantastic. They can't get crab cakes where they live and the cakes worked their magic. The arrival of no less than four trains while we were dining reinforced the uniqueness of the setting and an attentive waiter completed the picture. It may be a long time before we have our friends back for another visit but we'll be going back to the Ironhorse frequently.Special Features:
- Nite on the townOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/15/2014Celebrated my wife's birthday here with our two adult children. Service was excellent - the food even better. It was the best dining experience we've had in a long time. We will dine here again, soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an adult restaurant should beLocalDined on 7/14/2014This is an excellent place for adults who enjoy good food and good company. There are a variety of menu choices and the restaurant changes this seasonally so there are always a few pleasant surprises. The food comes out at a nice pace, not rushed like some restaurants who want you in and out. The level of noise is appropriate with the options of restaurant dining and bar dining. It isn't loud and it isn't a sports bar. There were no crying children or rowdy children running around while unsupervised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real find!VBmomDined on 7/13/2014We were looking for a place to have a nice lunch as a family when I found the listing for The Iron Horse. The food was excellent and the locale was charming. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Ashland as a local gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time..hungryincotuDined on 7/12/2014On Saturday, we came in early because we were seeing a show at Ashland Coffee and Tea. We wanted to get in early, but wanted more to eat than sandwiches. The hostess was very welcoming and our server was excellent and a true professional. The cocktails were perfect and our 2 glasses of red wine were delicious and well poured. The food portions were disappointing: I had one of the specials-the beef short ribs. The meat was delicious, but the quantity was ridiculously small. The 'ribs' consisted of 2 beef tips that looked like were stolen from another plate. I don't know if the wine list changes often, but the choices for champagne were pretty sparse (I was looking for Moet Imperial). For $96.00 (+ $20.00 gratuity), we were still hungry.
- a relaxing neighborhood dining spotBesokissDined on 6/19/2014Enjoyed our recent visit to Ironhorse. It was a return after too long an absence. Delicious scallop crepes with quinoia and perfectly seasoned Swiss chard. Chicken cordon bleu was classic. We will be returning sooner rather than later to this quaint Ashland gem situated along the train tracks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good setting for a festive dinner!porchettaDined on 6/14/2014White tablecloths, cloth napkins, attentive servers, and excellent food and wine all combined to make a special dinner before we attended a fancy-dress ball at the nearby Arts Center. Two delicious soups: a chilled cream of pepper, and a hot pureed asparagus. Excellent pork loin entree suited this pork lover perfectly, and my husband's two crab cakes were perfect. The waitress helped the third member of our party choose a vegetarian entree, the generously sized black bean quesadilla. Alas, we were on our way to a dance and had no room for dessert, but another time we surely will try some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2014The dish I ordered did not taste as described on menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodHanoverianDined on 6/14/2014Nice staff. Good food. Enjoyable lunch experience.Special Features:
- Small town jeweluvamomDined on 6/5/2014Situated in the heart of downtown Ashland, this place has great food, drink and wonderful atmosphere as folks bike along the street and the train makes its way through the center of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014great lunch spot with outdoor seating, was a little loud with the trains roaring bySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.