The Irish Inn at Glen Echo
6119 Tulane Ave
Glen Echo, MD 20812Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Irish Inn at Glen Echo
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.irishinnglenecho.com/
- Phone: (301) 229-6600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 5pm;
Weekend Brunch: 11:00am - 5pm (breakfast dishes until 2:30pm);
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Pub/Patio open all day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American, Irish
- Executive Chef: Ted Hughes
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off site catering and large to-go catering options available
- Private Party Facilities: Six private dining rooms for parties of 6-100 people. The Irish Inn offers sit down, cocktail and buffet events for groups of all sizes...perfect for Weddings, Birthdays, Office Functions, Baby Showers, Bridal Showers, Funeral Receptions, Anniversaries, Rehearsal Dinners.
- Private Party Contact: Barry Nolan 3012296600x
- Entertainment: Live Traditional Irish Music on Mondays 7pm-10pm , Live Jazz Music on Sundays 5:30pm-8:30pm, The 19th Street Band every other Wednesday - see website for dates. www.irishinnglenecho.com
Live Jazz on Sundays 5.30pm-8.30pm
See website for upcoming events
- Special Events: Check out our website for upcoming holiday menus and special opening hours
- Cross Street: MacArthur Blvd
- Public Transit: 5 minute walk from Glen Echo bus stop
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Irish Inn offers a large private parking lot just off Mc Aurthur Blvd & Tulane Ave. They also offer Complimentary Valet Wed - Fri Nights, All day Sat & Sun, and all holidays. Complimentary Valet for large events is also provided. Parking is always easy.
A word from The Irish Inn at Glen Echo
The Irish Inn at Glen Echo has plenty of history...from a family home in the 30's to a biker bar in 80's..The Inn at Glen Echo in the 90's...It's seen it all. This country Bar & Restaurant has a neighborhood feel, only a short distance from DC and Bethesda. Re-Opened in 2003 as The Irish Inn at Glen Echo offers great food, wine and atmosphere in a quaint setting. The upscale casual menu offers fresh seafood, hearty meats and the best Irish fare guaranteed. Whether you're in the mood for a delicious Lamb Chops or Steaks or a Traditional Shepherd's Pie....or a Jumbo Lump Crab Cake or our Daily Fresh Catch, The Irish Inn has it all. The Irish Inn combines a traditional Irish Pub with a white table cloth restaurant, complimentary valet and 6 private dining rooms, perfect for any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Irish Inn at Glen Echo - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
The Irish Inn at Glen Echo reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)great for outdoor dining (51)great for lunch (48)great for brunch (36)special occasion (27)good for groups (26)romantic (24)kid-friendly (18)fit for foodies (12)scenic view (11)vibrant bar scene (10)notable wine list (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)Show More
- Great as everJoannaDined on 11/15/2014We are frequent diners at the Inn. The staff always make us feel welcome and the food is great. It is one of the few places in this part of town but the good news is that you do not have to compromise by staying local. Most things on the menu are excellent. The fish and chips and shepherd's pie are first rate and the new short rib sandwich is a great addition. I did find the stew a little sweet when I tried it recently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glen Echo MemoriesEandLsearchingDined on 11/9/2014We used to come to Glen Echo Park when we were kids. Every time we visit The Irish Inn we are transported back to a much more pleasant time. We love the fact that if we're in the mood for drinks and a good bar scene we can eat in the bar. When we're in the mood for a quieter place we asked to be seated upstairs. Either way, we know the food is going to be great, the cocktails potent, and the service friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noiseHoovDined on 11/7/2014Noixe level was so high, my friend and I could hardly hear each other across the table. Tables are too close together.
- Terrific everytimeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/6/2014Brought a couple of gals from work that drive by everyday on their way home. They were so pleased to finally try to local find. The service was spot on and the food was excellent and prepared perfectly. Thanks for not letting me down .Special Features:
- liv2dineDined on 11/3/2014The Irish Inn is our local go-to restaurant. It is fun and lively in the bar. Especially when the music is playing. I enjoy their salads and all of the entrees I've tried over the years. Our guests have been pleased too. We have used a small room for about 8 people for a birthday party and that was very private and comfortable. In warm weather, the outside porch has a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 8OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014We had a wonderful dinner with 8 people on Saturday November 1st. We tend to be a loud group, so being in the room upstairs somewhat by ourselves, was very helpful!! Our server, Valerie, was fantastic and the food was excellent. Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irish Inn Near C&O Canal TowpathOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014The food, service and ambiance are great. The tables are close together and the prices are moderate-to-high. It's a cozy spot, offering good food and drinks, excellent brunch. And it's near a footpath that wanders down to the C&O canal towpath. It's near the Clara Barton historic site, and it's adjacent to Glen Echo with its arts and crafts, dancing and recreation venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably greatJoannaDined on 11/1/2014It is nice to have traditional brunch options to choose from as well as more standard lunch fare. The inn is charming and the food is reliably good. Our companions had never been and loved the Shepherd's Pie.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/28/2014Too busy to pay attention to a separate request for a first floor table to accommodate a handicapped person. Otherwise, OK. Ted MorganSpecial Features:
- Best Fish TacosFoodie4everDined on 10/24/2014The Irish Inn at Glen Echo is the definition of a neighborhood restaurant - friendly staff, casual but elegant surroundings and great food. Definitely the best fish tacos In the DC area. And, you can take in Glen Echo park before/after lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new menu items need workirishinnmateVIPDined on 10/24/2014My friend and I both found the crab bisque way too salty. The short rib sandwich was too dry and bland. Both are new on the menu and the new chef needs to work on them or take them off the menu. The calamari was as good as always. On an earlier visit we found the gaspacho was way too spicy. The kitchen needs to ease up on the seasonings. The short rib sandwich would be better if served open faced and without cheese which didn't melt. Cold slaw's would be a good addition to the entre. I will return to the Irish Inn and I hope my comments will help make it better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very comfortable 'pubby' atmospherebmorefanDined on 10/22/2014Irish Inn is my favorite place for good food and casual 'hey, stay as long as you like' atmosphere. In warm weather, the deck is best place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for brunchDonnaDined on 10/19/2014Lovely restaurant with many rooms. Very nice for weekend brunch. Quiet enough to have a conversation without raising your voice. Nice outdoor seating area for warm weather. Free valet parking which I advise because the parking lot is tricky when crowded. Love the Salmon Benedict.Special Features:
- A very nice neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/9/2014We live close by and love visiting The Irish Inn for lunch and dinner. The food is excellent and the service always fast and friendly. We just made our reservation for Thanksgiving there. We've heard they have a wonderful meal for thanksgiving. Although we will be there before that!! We also love sitting outside, it feels like your in the Irish countryside.Special Features:
- zero starsVernonStreetVIPDined on 10/3/2014Had reservation. Sat down in time for an hour-long meal. Restaurant not at all busy. Waiter slow to take order. Still enough time. It's coming. It's coming. He said. Followed by the theater of bring out steak knives, mumbling something about they're cutting the lamb, and still nothing 15 minutes later. Finally, without any other place to go, we got up, asked for the manager ~ who was clueless ~ and left. The kicker. We've been coming here for years to get a pre~fast meal. This year, because of incompetence and indifference, my fast lasted more than 28 hours. No way. No how. Avoid. I must not have gotten the memo. On a beautiful Friday night, patrons were spread pretty thin.
- Perfect lunch venueLunchandmoreDined on 9/30/2014I grew up in the area and come back often to visit. Glen Echo is so much a part of my past and it is so nice to have a wonderful a Inn to meet old friends and reminisce. It is icing on the cake that the food and ambiance is so great!Special Features:
- Perfect for Conversation and DiningJillTraveler75Dined on 9/24/2014This is just the place to bring a friend for a delicious and elegant place to catch up with each other. We ate in the enclosed "porch area" which was especially nice and quiet. We each ordered a soup and the same delicious mushroom and polenta ragu, then tea. The food was wonderful, inventive, and satisfying. The service was helpful and not intrusive. The price was quite fair - less expensive than we had imagined.Special Features:
- Oops...where's my reservation!WineYahooVIPDined on 9/14/2014We arrived for our 1pm Brunch reservation at 12:50pm , only to find that the Inn did not have it. Barry, the host, was very diligent in searching for reservation, but alas, no luck. The 2 couples in front of us, without reservations, were seated first. We went to the bar while we awaited for a table to open up. Brunch was good Irish fare, waitstaff very busy (Redskins' Sunday)but very congenial and a beautiful day to take in the porch.Special Features:
- Irish Inn - Fab for GatheringPJDoubleU2Dined on 9/13/2014I have celebrated my birthday at the Irish Inn at Glen Echo twice in the past few years and had a most enjoyable experience. The food is terrific and the staff so considerate. One night at the bar, a group of us inquired about a gaelic proverb to the waitress; not only did she help us, she provided us a host of gaelic expressions and helped us in our pronunciation. Definitely, a place to relax and enjoy. And the choice of live music is always fitting with the setting & crowd. Great establishment, Christy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Date NightAlb2DCDined on 9/10/2014It was probably 15-20 minutes before we were greeted by a server that we only ever saw once. We gave him our drink, app, and entree order all at once. My gazpacho was delish, my husband's fish soup, smelled like fish... He didn't like it. The rack of lamb was quite good, his Reuben lacked flavor and character. All of the food came out on time. Desert: we had the strawberry pavlova and the banoffi, both were fabulous. We sat by an interesting gent named Ferris who made our evening more delightful. He was quite a character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb dinnerGKO1Dined on 9/7/2014We took friends to this inn to celebrate a special occasion. We could not have done better. Superb food, enjoyable quiet ambiance, outstanding service combined to make this an enchanted evening. Quality and quantity of food and drink fully justified the tab - which we paid gladly. We added a large tip - which was well earned. We enjoyed tasty flatbread for hors d'oeuvres. Sockeye salmon - the seafood special - was superb, so were the "chicken schnitzel" ( a new one on us ) and the lamb - absolutely the finest in memory, and lots of it. The breads were excellent - we just love good bread. The wine, from a lesser known region in CA, was among the finest we remember - a great value. Breadpudding with Bailey's ice-cream topped it off.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice little pubBrian57Dined on 9/6/2014I love Irish Pubs and this place didn't disappoint. It's a little pricey or some of their dinner entrees but it's in a great location and is a nice establishment so I don't think it's over priced - just appropriate for the location. I like how they have dining in both the pub and the restaurant area - if you're fresh off a hike along the C&O canal, or coming back after a Nats or Caps game, it's great stop over, and their dining area features a nice ambiance with white table linens and candle lit tables. parking is done mostly by a valet but there are self-park spots as well. Great beer and wine selection - many of the servers are from Ireland (if not all), so that adds to the ambiance. The food is very good - some good comfort food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glen Echo Treasure SpotHealthyFoodLOverVIPDined on 8/28/2014If you need a quiet area for dining, the host will find you the perfect table away from the happy din, in one of the Inn's more private areas. Always a treat to dine here, but especially for lunch when the generous basket of scones is a regulare part of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it is a totally delightful place !afanDined on 8/26/2014the ambiance and friendliness of the staff is warm and wonderful. Food is very fresh and cooked expertlySpecial Features:
- Great locationJimHDined on 8/25/2014The food was good not great but the people and the outdoor dinning were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irish Inn at Glen EchoJobenDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful spot, we should have left the hotel early to visit the region a bit. Beautiful welcome, great food, wonderful employees, quite busy. The evening was beautiful from start to finish thanks to Christie! I would certainly go back.Special Features:
- One Of My Favoritesseahorse21Dined on 8/18/2014As usual, we had a wonderful experience. I love the Irish Inn. Food, atmosphere and service are always top-notch whether it be brunch, dinner or music in the bar. Always a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overall experienceWadeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Nice experience and a pleasant atmosphere. Old, well maintained establishment.Special Features:
- DisappointedMikeDined on 8/9/2014The Menue on the open Table is not the same as the Menue in he Resturant . The waiters brought the main course before we finished our salads!! They had yo take it back to the kitchen . Rather disappointed in the service. One of the Msin did dishes did not include what the Menue promised. No pasta!!!Special Features:
- a fun place to enjoy dinnerPattyDined on 8/9/2014While sad that we couldn't get a dinner reservation, we arrived at 5:00 p.m. to capture an outside table and did so. Our waiter was terrific and we enjoyed a dinner with four adults and two of our Grands. The food was fine and it was a comfortable evening of dining. The Irish Inn is one of my husband's favorites so a perfect place for his birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Worth a trip out MacArthurtgindcVIPDined on 8/9/2014Wanted something different for lunch on a beautiful Saturday, so the two of us rode our scooters a few miles out on Macarthur to brunch at this place. The food was delicious...my corned beef hash with poached eggs and his fish and chips were just great. No specials on brunch beverages, but the bloody mary was also good. We split the bread pudding, which was more pudding-y than lots of places. Sat on their patio, which was fine but not particularly pretty. Would be easy to dress it up with lots more flowering plants or even coleus. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidRTS2VIPDined on 8/8/2014Visited the Irish Inn for the first time in years. It was great. Big crowd outside but inside it was quiet and romantic. Nice dinning room, well spaced tables, well decorated, comfortable. The server was informed and unobtrusive. Food was delivered in a properly timed manner. No rush,but no delay either. The food was good, fresh, properly prepared and hot when brought to the table. The prices were fair and reasonable. The menus offerings are limited, nothing terribly exciting but everything is well prepared with fresh tasting ingredients. All in all the Irish Inn is a solid neighborhood restaurant. Great for date nights. Easy parking. Worth a visit.Special Features:
- Fun placelookin4goodfoodDined on 8/4/2014Had an early dinner instead of a traffic-filled commute home. Burger was great! We ate outdoors under roof which was very pleasant, except when the arrival of the trash truck made quite a racket for 5 minutes in our line of sight.Special Features:
- MelCVIPDined on 8/3/2014The head manager took terrific care of us. He provided extremely responsive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Positive ExperienceWadeVIPDined on 7/30/2014Service and atmosphere along with food were "good", overall positive experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Exceptional place for good food & atmosphere. My only negative comment was the lack of direction & spaces for parking. There was virtually none when I drove up @ 12:30 pm (understandable for a popular restaurant). But, I finally did learn that a field was available for parking despite a sign saying valet parking only. I was able to park there w/no problem. I think w/ a restaurant as popular (deservedly so) as the Irish Inn, more attention needs to be given to those needing parking spots. Thanks PatSpecial Features:
- The following 723 reviews are from the The Irish Inn at Glen Echo reviews archive.
- Great find, and a little unusualBetsyDined on 7/23/2014The Irish food was delicious, better than we had in Ireland! Thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon in the ParkkdubDined on 7/20/2014We were headed to Glen Echo Park to ride the carousel so this was an excellent location. The menu online looked good and perhaps had options to suit everyone...except a vegetarian. It was a Sunday so the brunch menu was available along with lunch food. I didn't want anything heavy so I ordered a Greek salad. It was more like a toss salad with very small bits of feta and olives along with some cherry tomatoes and peppers. Really not like anything I would categorize as a Greek salad. My nephew enjoyed his fish tacos and his wife the french toast. My partner ended up with granola as the choices for a vegetarian were very limited. Non of the sandwiches or entrees on the menu gave a nod to folks who don't eat meat or fish. Too bad.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014lovely venue. we had an outdoor reservation that looked lovely but it was too hot so we chose to stay inside. the restaurant was already reserved so we had the only choice to sit in the bar. all was ok but that's where they put the families with kids and the noise level was annoying. part of the reason was the tables in the bar area are too close together. other than that the waitress couldn't have been more attentive, the food was great, the scones were a wonderful treat and we didn't feel rushed. will definitely go back but would prefer outside or in the actual table areaSpecial Features:
- excellentutuathailVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food is exceptional and the ambience genteel. Service at the Irish Inn is friendly yet professional and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.