The Irish House
1432 St. Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Irish House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theirishhouseneworleans.com/
- Phone: 5045956755x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sat/Sun: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Bar: Daily: 3:00pm-5:00pm/10:00pm-close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American, Irish
- Executive Chef: Matt Murphy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Call The Irish House to find out about our catering options.
- Entertainment: Coming Soon: Irish Musicians in our upstairs bar!
- Special Events: Located right off the St. Charles streetcar line and only minutes away from Downtown New Orleans, The Irish House is the perfect place for any private event. This pub and restaurant offers a variety of gorgeous spaces rich with Irish character & wooden floors worn smooth by everything from traditional Irish Ceilis to board meetings, from rowdy World Cup parties to baby showers, from holiday parties to wedding ceremonies. Our staff exude the natural warmth and good-hearted ambiance of the Irish, and are sure to keep your stomachs, and pints, full to your heart’s content.
A word from The Irish House
The Irish House is an Irish Gastro Pub by Chef Matt Murphy. Chef Matt uses his Irish culinary roots to create elegant food featuring fresh, seasonal ingredients. You can also enjoy light Irish fare in our pub, where we feature 12 beers on tap, a large selection of Irish beers, a carefully selected wine list, and television coverage of all of the biggest Rugby & Soccer matches. Coming soon: Irish musicians in our upstairs bar, Irish souvenirs in our old fashioned shoppe, and Irish Tea in our Tea Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Irish House - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
The Irish House reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (14)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (11)great for brunch (9)fit for foodies (8)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (6)romantic (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- A horrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014We came because we wanted some Irish food and found this place. We were incredibly disappointed, starting with the service. Our callous server continued to rush us through our meal, despite the fact that the place was nearly empty. The only thing worse than the service was the food. The mixed drink from the bar was undrinkable; the bread was hard and tasteless; and the entrees were bland.
- DisappointedsharibabyDined on 10/3/2014The service was very good but the food was just mediocre. Shepperd's Pie was oily and watery at the same time. Chicken dish was under cooked, sent back and returned over cooked and plated very unattractively. This place was really a disappointment.
- Great Food. Great BeerHere4thebeerDined on 9/27/2014Easy parking. Great live music. There is always something interesting on tap. Food was spot on. Definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Time!!!!!PeccantDined on 9/25/2014Great place, great staff, GREAT FOOD! I even brought family from upstate New York who have been going to Irish Pubs all their livesand they gave this play Two Thumbs WAY WAY UP!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit and will not be our last. We had reservations for 5:30 on a Saturday because we weren't interested in the 7 pm band. No need for reservations at that time. Football games were on but no sound so we were able to have pleasant conversation without yelling. The food was good - shepherd's pie, Irish breakfast and fish and chips. Decor is warm and inviting. Great beer selection as you would expect. Parking was not a problem and the restaurant is on the streetcar line for those using public transportation. Next time we'll go later in the evening to enjoy the provided entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good nightHope4futureDined on 9/19/2014Irish House was a favorite for us. Even had our daughter's rehearsal dinner there. The food was excellent for that. However, this particular night, the food was not good. Crab cake appetizer was cold, sent back and came back still cold. Risoto dish was bland and also cold. One in our party got the short rib dinner and arrived all fat. Not a piece of meat on it. Someone wasn't checking items sent out from kitchen. He sent it back and ordered Fish and Chips instead. Fish and Chips for two in our party were overly greasy. Only one was happy with her meal, Shepard's pie. Hope they get the issues resolved because it's a fun place.Special Features:
- Our special placeloveIrishDined on 9/7/2014I often take my wife here for romantic dinners. Love the extensive beer and whiskey lists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I enjoy the Irish House. Their food is upscale pub quality. They have great drink specials. They often have live music. My only complaint was my reservation was at 10pm, and we felt VERY rushed. The kitchen staff came out around 10:30 and started talking loudly about how they were closed. Out apps came out with the entrees in an effort to rush us. I just feel that if you allow a 10pm reservation, you should accommodate that and not rush diners or make them feel unwelcome. If the staff is not on the same page it affects what would otherwise be a lovely meal.Special Features:
- Almost thereJodyDined on 8/1/2014I felt it was right on the verge of being great, and not so good. My wife had the best soup I've ever tasted, while on the other hand, the tart we had for an appetizer was cold in the middle. She also ordered the risotto. On the flavor scale, it was a 10, however, it was slightly larger than an appetizer portion, and there was no protein on the plate. A few shrimp on top would have made all the difference. In contrast, my lamb shank was huge and I loved it. Same thing with dessert. Her apple tart had zero sugar in it. We both thought it was really weird. My toffee pudding was delicious. All in all, I loved it, she didn't. Maybe just an off night. Enough positive for a second shot, will definitely give it another go sometime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Fish & ChipsLesPocheVIPDined on 8/1/2014Love the Fish & Chips-very authentic. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- rewolf52VIPDined on 7/26/2014Great concept for an Irish pub/restaurant. GREAT BEERS. The Irish stew was over cooked and totally over salted. I am hoping it was just a bad night for stew. The person sitting at the table next to mine said the same thing. "too salty and the beef over cooked". Maybe it was yesterday's stew. You can put a potato in a stew and cook it. That will remove the salt. But if you are Irish you should know that. Music good downstairs. Wait staff pleasant but a little slow with the orders and attention. thanksI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!truebluebethDined on 7/20/2014Went there for my daughter's birthday and had a great time. Food was great, the service exceptional and the 2 for 1 Mimosa's didn't hurt! We managed to go out for brunch for under $100 before the tip and that was with 6 adults.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!StephanieAnnDined on 7/19/2014My family and I LOVED this place! The food is FABULOUS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTableUserVIPDined on 7/2/2014irish breakfast was amazing but the shepherd's pie was so bland and unappealing in both taste and texture that I had to rate the food down.... place is too expensive for the actual quality of the food. servers are friendly and welcoming though.
- The following 257 reviews are from the The Irish House reviews archive.
- SO NOISYEllmaxxDined on 6/22/2014Really have to listen closely and talk loudly. Service is fair, not much on checking back to see if you need anything. This seems to be an ongoing problem and needs to be addressed! However,that being said, I will continue to go back because I like the food that much. Authentic Irish (english) dishes with a new Orleans touch. I even liked the black (blood) pudding served with the Irish breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday NightMichelleVIPDined on 6/2/2014The Irish Harp Ensemble was a great addition to some delicious food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/1/2014I have been eating here for years and this is the first time food has been average at best. Just 4 weeks ago I gave everything 5 stars but not today. There were only a few other tables on a Sunday morning. Breakfast foods were not tasty as usual. Hostess was not friendly at all. Our waitress however was very nice. I hope things get back on track.
- Nice, Relaxed Dinner for a GroupjenniefoodieDined on 5/25/2014We came for a Sunday Brunch with a big group. There was a good variety on the menu to satisfy all of our various tastes, there wasn't much of a crowd, and the quality was a bit above average. It was a great choice for visiting the city as the streetcar was just about a block away and we were able to use this as a starting point for exploring the city.Special Features:
- Nice but watch it at the bar!RegularRCdinerDined on 5/24/2014Nice restaurant but the singer in the bar irritated my wife with two of His off-color jokes. We hail across the Bayou from Jacksonville, FL and Tim Tebow and a couple of other topics discussed by the singer did not elevate our bar scene. The food was good and generously portioned, unfortunately the wait staff did not rush to refill any drinks. All in all a good time at the Irish House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceStrick3Dined on 5/18/2014I have been to the Irish House for brunch two times now, and both times I have been disappointed with the service. The first time our server would disappear for long periods of time and was unapologetic that it took 30 minutes to get our drinks. This past time,our server was so rude it was offensive. The meal started off poorly when the first thing he said to us was that our table was "difficult to serve" due to the size of the table. After we ordered drinks, we watched them sit at the bar for 15 minutes while our waiter chatted with another server next to him. Then he lied to us and said they were "being made" when they were in our plain view. He also made rude comments throughout the meal. The food was good, but the service was terrible.Special Features:
- Misleading website and listed menusSuzAndEdDined on 5/16/2014Terrible experience to search for a restaurant w a glutenfree menu, find one w a website that included a lengthy specific gf menu, travel to get there w a party of 7, only to find their "website needed updating." Wait staff was rude, dinners arrived at 9:30 (we arrived at7:30) and I ended up eating the PB sandwich on gf bread that I'd stuck in my purse "just in case." Lousy meal, noise levels made it hard to converse. Stay FAR AWAY!
- Not a pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014The food was terrible. Most entrees were missing the items identified on the menu. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014It's great for a crowd of all ages for special occasions (we did Mother's Day). Everyone was very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Irish pub food decentBiloxidineDined on 5/10/2014Great atmosphere okay service and poor food!! Ordered the fried cheese app it was two slices of cheese that were okay but didn't knock socks off, and topping was horrible. Sheeppards pie was small and not the greatest I've had box Shepard pie better!! Don't waste your money!!Special Features:
- Would Go BackAuntMonkey6Dined on 5/10/2014They were very accomadating for a group of 15. The food was really good and several of us want to go back and try other things on the menu. Kid friends also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irish CharmRADBIRDDined on 4/22/2014Wonderful atmosphere, wait staff fine but lacks knowledge of beers and ales. Chef was excellent. I have a food allergy and Chef came out and made suggestions and substitutions to my meal. What a personal touch. Food was very good with fine presentation. Recommended!!Special Features:
- Easter BrunchDragonmom24Dined on 4/20/2014We had 5 dining at 12:30 on Easter Sunday. The restaurant was very busy, but we had timely service. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great get together spotTomcatDined on 4/18/2014Great place for family and friends to celebrate special occasions. Reasonably Priced and fun foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab CakesOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/16/2014The crab cake was more than delicious. Everything was great but the crab cake was the shining star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Brunch ExperienceKolleen1977Dined on 3/23/2014In honor of St. Patrick's Day, my book club chose The Irish House to meet and discuss the book we selected by the Irish author, Oscar Wilde. We had a wonderful afternoon at The Irish House - can't wait until we visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a disappointment!prestoseDined on 3/20/2014We were so disappointed in every aspect of the evening. We had been there once before for an Irish Coffee and liked the place, so we made plans to return on our next trip. The service was indifferent, and the food was nothing special. I had expected so much more from Chef Murphy's restaurant.
- Something differentrbmlsu93Dined on 3/14/2014Great place to hang out with friends. Food is a nice change of pace from traditional New Orleans cuisine. Shepherd's pie was excellent. Server was very friendly but slow. It was a busy night. Was not a buzz kill and we were not in a rush so it was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service DisparityUptownJohnVIPDined on 3/14/2014The food here is very good. I am a bit of a French fry critic and I will have to say these pass the test with flying colors. I am sure they are home made. The fish (in the fish in chips) are a decent size and aren't covered in breading. Now - let's turn to the disappointing part. The service at this restaurant has always been an issue. We arrived at 630pm on the Friday before St. Patrick's day, not super busy yet but lively. We were put a table immediately only to have our server walk around us, never acknowledging us, or even looking at us for that matter. I ask for a different server immediately and was quickly asked by the hostess if we want a drink. Manager came and spoke to us...seemingly everything was put back into order.I would recommend this to a friend.
- From brucymowa46Dined on 3/1/2014We had a great time. The food was great, Irish House favorites; fish and chips for me and bangors and mash for Susan. The servers were great, we talked to several staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have enjoyed will return howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014I have enjoyed this restaurant before and I will return. However, there were major inconsistencies that I feel at the end of the meal I was not happy with the experience. My partner and I both ordered the the chef's valentines day special. which started off with a salad with strawberries but hardly any dressing in proportion to the size of the salad. I found the choice of bbq meatloaf a bit odd for the second course but it was prepared well. Both pieces of salmon that I received for my main dish were visibly overcooked on one edge and I was expecting more lump crab meat. But the creme brule was excellent. I understand that this is one of the busiest days of the year but I feel they could step up there expo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PORTION LITEHAPSDined on 2/14/2014WHILE THE FOOD WAS GOOD THE PORTION SIZE, FOR THE MONEY, WAS SMALL. SERVICE NOT UP TO STANDARDS FOR WHAT YOU WOULD EXPECT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place great foodBillyBurkDined on 2/14/2014This chef is high caliber, and the decor is phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bait & SwitchNativeNOLADined on 2/14/2014My wife and I ate here for Valentines. I had gone online to see the menu and it had a great selection to choose from. I. Knew that I wanted to try thr Lamb Shank, when I looked the menu after being seated that it was a much more abbreviated menu than the one online. I settled for the Pork Cheeks and they were fantastic. My wife ordered the salmon dinner but was a little disappointed. She said the salmon was tasty, but the grilled vegetables and beet reduction that the salmon was sitting on was a little different. The farmer cheese appetizer was great. The singer was enjoyable, but not sure I would clarify the restaurant as romantic. All in all it was a very nice dinning experience. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly great food and musicLuvnolaDined on 2/14/2014We ordered a variety of appetizers, all if which were very good. The pork cheeks and potato and leek soup were outstanding. It was Valentines Day and the restaurant was packed. Two of us decided to order an entree at full price from the prize fix menu. Bad mistake. What we received were very small portions of tasteless veal sliced as thin as bologna. The accompaniments were small portioned but delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irish House on St Vals DaybobogDined on 2/14/2014Came for St. Valentine's Day early dinner. The first thing that happened is my spoon was dropped on the floor. None of the wait staff offered to pick it up or replace it. Nor were very attentive on refilling our glasses. We thought we would try the smoked oysters – could not eat them. Way to smokey. The rest of the meal was okay. Usual Irish House fare.Special Features: