The Irish House
1432 St. Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Irish House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theirishhouseneworleans.com/
- Phone: 5045956755x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 8:00am - 11:00am
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American, Irish
- Executive Chef: Matt Murphy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Call The Irish House to find out about our catering options.
- Entertainment: Coming Soon: Irish Musicians in our upstairs bar!
- Special Events: Located right off the St. Charles streetcar line and only minutes away from Downtown New Orleans, The Irish House is the perfect place for any private event. This pub and restaurant offers a variety of gorgeous spaces rich with Irish character & wooden floors worn smooth by everything from traditional Irish Ceilis to board meetings, from rowdy World Cup parties to baby showers, from holiday parties to wedding ceremonies. Our staff exude the natural warmth and good-hearted ambiance of the Irish, and are sure to keep your stomachs, and pints, full to your heart’s content.
A word from The Irish House
The Irish House is an Irish Gastro Pub by Chef Matt Murphy. Chef Matt uses his Irish culinary roots to create elegant food featuring fresh, seasonal ingredients. You can also enjoy light Irish fare in our pub, where we feature 12 beers on tap, a large selection of Irish beers, a carefully selected wine list, and television coverage of all of the biggest Rugby & Soccer matches. Coming soon: Irish musicians in our upstairs bar, Irish souvenirs in our old fashioned shoppe, and Irish Tea in our Tea Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Irish House - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
The Irish House reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (20)great for brunch (17)kid-friendly (13)great for lunch (11)special occasion (10)fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Almost thereJodyDined on 8/1/2014I felt it was right on the verge of being great, and not so good. My wife had the best soup I've ever tasted, while on the other hand, the tart we had for an appetizer was cold in the middle. She also ordered the risotto. On the flavor scale, it was a 10, however, it was slightly larger than an appetizer portion, and there was no protein on the plate. A few shrimp on top would have made all the difference. In contrast, my lamb shank was huge and I loved it. Same thing with dessert. Her apple tart had zero sugar in it. We both thought it was really weird. My toffee pudding was delicious. All in all, I loved it, she didn't. Maybe just an off night. Enough positive for a second shot, will definitely give it another go sometime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Fish & ChipsLesPocheVIPDined on 8/1/2014Love the Fish & Chips-very authentic. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- rewolf52Dined on 7/26/2014Great concept for an Irish pub/restaurant. GREAT BEERS. The Irish stew was over cooked and totally over salted. I am hoping it was just a bad night for stew. The person sitting at the table next to mine said the same thing. "too salty and the beef over cooked". Maybe it was yesterday's stew. You can put a potato in a stew and cook it. That will remove the salt. But if you are Irish you should know that. Music good downstairs. Wait staff pleasant but a little slow with the orders and attention. thanksI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!truebluebethDined on 7/20/2014Went there for my daughter's birthday and had a great time. Food was great, the service exceptional and the 2 for 1 Mimosa's didn't hurt! We managed to go out for brunch for under $100 before the tip and that was with 6 adults.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!StephanieAnnDined on 7/19/2014My family and I LOVED this place! The food is FABULOUS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTableUserVIPDined on 7/2/2014irish breakfast was amazing but the shepherd's pie was so bland and unappealing in both taste and texture that I had to rate the food down.... place is too expensive for the actual quality of the food. servers are friendly and welcoming though.
- SO NOISYEllmaxxDined on 6/22/2014Really have to listen closely and talk loudly. Service is fair, not much on checking back to see if you need anything. This seems to be an ongoing problem and needs to be addressed! However,that being said, I will continue to go back because I like the food that much. Authentic Irish (english) dishes with a new Orleans touch. I even liked the black (blood) pudding served with the Irish breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday NightMichelleVIPDined on 6/2/2014The Irish Harp Ensemble was a great addition to some delicious food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/1/2014I have been eating here for years and this is the first time food has been average at best. Just 4 weeks ago I gave everything 5 stars but not today. There were only a few other tables on a Sunday morning. Breakfast foods were not tasty as usual. Hostess was not friendly at all. Our waitress however was very nice. I hope things get back on track.
- Nice, Relaxed Dinner for a GroupjenniefoodieDined on 5/25/2014We came for a Sunday Brunch with a big group. There was a good variety on the menu to satisfy all of our various tastes, there wasn't much of a crowd, and the quality was a bit above average. It was a great choice for visiting the city as the streetcar was just about a block away and we were able to use this as a starting point for exploring the city.Special Features:
- Nice but watch it at the bar!RegularRCdinerDined on 5/24/2014Nice restaurant but the singer in the bar irritated my wife with two of His off-color jokes. We hail across the Bayou from Jacksonville, FL and Tim Tebow and a couple of other topics discussed by the singer did not elevate our bar scene. The food was good and generously portioned, unfortunately the wait staff did not rush to refill any drinks. All in all a good time at the Irish House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceStrick3Dined on 5/18/2014I have been to the Irish House for brunch two times now, and both times I have been disappointed with the service. The first time our server would disappear for long periods of time and was unapologetic that it took 30 minutes to get our drinks. This past time,our server was so rude it was offensive. The meal started off poorly when the first thing he said to us was that our table was "difficult to serve" due to the size of the table. After we ordered drinks, we watched them sit at the bar for 15 minutes while our waiter chatted with another server next to him. Then he lied to us and said they were "being made" when they were in our plain view. He also made rude comments throughout the meal. The food was good, but the service was terrible.Special Features:
- Misleading website and listed menusSuzAndEdDined on 5/16/2014Terrible experience to search for a restaurant w a glutenfree menu, find one w a website that included a lengthy specific gf menu, travel to get there w a party of 7, only to find their "website needed updating." Wait staff was rude, dinners arrived at 9:30 (we arrived at7:30) and I ended up eating the PB sandwich on gf bread that I'd stuck in my purse "just in case." Lousy meal, noise levels made it hard to converse. Stay FAR AWAY!
- Not a pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014The food was terrible. Most entrees were missing the items identified on the menu. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014It's great for a crowd of all ages for special occasions (we did Mother's Day). Everyone was very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Irish pub food decentBiloxidineDined on 5/10/2014Great atmosphere okay service and poor food!! Ordered the fried cheese app it was two slices of cheese that were okay but didn't knock socks off, and topping was horrible. Sheeppards pie was small and not the greatest I've had box Shepard pie better!! Don't waste your money!!Special Features:
- Would Go BackAuntMonkey6Dined on 5/10/2014They were very accomadating for a group of 15. The food was really good and several of us want to go back and try other things on the menu. Kid friends also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 246 reviews are from the The Irish House reviews archive.
- Irish CharmRADBIRDDined on 4/22/2014Wonderful atmosphere, wait staff fine but lacks knowledge of beers and ales. Chef was excellent. I have a food allergy and Chef came out and made suggestions and substitutions to my meal. What a personal touch. Food was very good with fine presentation. Recommended!!Special Features:
- Easter BrunchDragonmom24Dined on 4/20/2014We had 5 dining at 12:30 on Easter Sunday. The restaurant was very busy, but we had timely service. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great get together spotTomcatDined on 4/18/2014Great place for family and friends to celebrate special occasions. Reasonably Priced and fun foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab CakesOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/16/2014The crab cake was more than delicious. Everything was great but the crab cake was the shining star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Brunch ExperienceKolleen1977Dined on 3/23/2014In honor of St. Patrick's Day, my book club chose The Irish House to meet and discuss the book we selected by the Irish author, Oscar Wilde. We had a wonderful afternoon at The Irish House - can't wait until we visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a disappointment!prestoseDined on 3/20/2014We were so disappointed in every aspect of the evening. We had been there once before for an Irish Coffee and liked the place, so we made plans to return on our next trip. The service was indifferent, and the food was nothing special. I had expected so much more from Chef Murphy's restaurant.
- Something differentrbmlsu93Dined on 3/14/2014Great place to hang out with friends. Food is a nice change of pace from traditional New Orleans cuisine. Shepherd's pie was excellent. Server was very friendly but slow. It was a busy night. Was not a buzz kill and we were not in a rush so it was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service DisparityUptownJohnVIPDined on 3/14/2014The food here is very good. I am a bit of a French fry critic and I will have to say these pass the test with flying colors. I am sure they are home made. The fish (in the fish in chips) are a decent size and aren't covered in breading. Now - let's turn to the disappointing part. The service at this restaurant has always been an issue. We arrived at 630pm on the Friday before St. Patrick's day, not super busy yet but lively. We were put a table immediately only to have our server walk around us, never acknowledging us, or even looking at us for that matter. I ask for a different server immediately and was quickly asked by the hostess if we want a drink. Manager came and spoke to us...seemingly everything was put back into order.I would recommend this to a friend.
- From brucymowa46Dined on 3/1/2014We had a great time. The food was great, Irish House favorites; fish and chips for me and bangors and mash for Susan. The servers were great, we talked to several staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have enjoyed will return howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014I have enjoyed this restaurant before and I will return. However, there were major inconsistencies that I feel at the end of the meal I was not happy with the experience. My partner and I both ordered the the chef's valentines day special. which started off with a salad with strawberries but hardly any dressing in proportion to the size of the salad. I found the choice of bbq meatloaf a bit odd for the second course but it was prepared well. Both pieces of salmon that I received for my main dish were visibly overcooked on one edge and I was expecting more lump crab meat. But the creme brule was excellent. I understand that this is one of the busiest days of the year but I feel they could step up there expo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PORTION LITEHAPSDined on 2/14/2014WHILE THE FOOD WAS GOOD THE PORTION SIZE, FOR THE MONEY, WAS SMALL. SERVICE NOT UP TO STANDARDS FOR WHAT YOU WOULD EXPECT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place great foodBillyBurkDined on 2/14/2014This chef is high caliber, and the decor is phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bait & SwitchNativeNOLADined on 2/14/2014My wife and I ate here for Valentines. I had gone online to see the menu and it had a great selection to choose from. I. Knew that I wanted to try thr Lamb Shank, when I looked the menu after being seated that it was a much more abbreviated menu than the one online. I settled for the Pork Cheeks and they were fantastic. My wife ordered the salmon dinner but was a little disappointed. She said the salmon was tasty, but the grilled vegetables and beet reduction that the salmon was sitting on was a little different. The farmer cheese appetizer was great. The singer was enjoyable, but not sure I would clarify the restaurant as romantic. All in all it was a very nice dinning experience. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly great food and musicLuvnolaDined on 2/14/2014We ordered a variety of appetizers, all if which were very good. The pork cheeks and potato and leek soup were outstanding. It was Valentines Day and the restaurant was packed. Two of us decided to order an entree at full price from the prize fix menu. Bad mistake. What we received were very small portions of tasteless veal sliced as thin as bologna. The accompaniments were small portioned but delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irish House on St Vals DaybobogDined on 2/14/2014Came for St. Valentine's Day early dinner. The first thing that happened is my spoon was dropped on the floor. None of the wait staff offered to pick it up or replace it. Nor were very attentive on refilling our glasses. We thought we would try the smoked oysters – could not eat them. Way to smokey. The rest of the meal was okay. Usual Irish House fare.Special Features:
- A great dining experience!BikilaDined on 2/3/2014My friends and I had a wonderful dining experience. Then we attended a play upstairs which was also delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun ambienceDesignergirlVIPDined on 2/1/2014The food was very good and the menu had lots of great choices! Something for everyone's taste, I think. Our food was slow to arrive and the staff apologized several times. No effort to compensate with a dessert though:( It is an attractive dining room- lots of Irish memorabilia. Live singer was drowned out by the exceptionally noisy room. You really cannot have a comfortable convo at times. The location is convenient and there's parking which is a good feature. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irish House consistently goodFaust46Dined on 1/30/2014I hadn't been back to the Irish House in over a year, but when Amazon Local offered a deal, I snapped it up. I invited my sister and brother-in-law to go, since they hadn't eaten there, and all of us enjoyed the food. I got my usual roasted chicken soup and the scallops entree and both were excellent. My brother-in-law got the short ribs and pronounced them the perfect comfort food, and my sister got the salmon with colcannon - her only issue was that the greens mixed in the potatoes was cabbage, not kale, but that is one variation on colcannon, so her preference for kale is not a fault in their choice of greens. And we all enjoyed the signature sticky toffee pudding - decadently delicious, as ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food and ambience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/26/2014The staff was so helpful and accommodating. The food is delicious and the ambiance is lovelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irish House is Great!TonyDined on 1/25/2014I took my girlfriend out for our dating anniversary, and Irish House was amazing. I had a braised short rib that was delicious and fell off the bone. The same can be said for my girlfriend's lamb shank. The restaurant was packed, and now I know why.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Irish FoodLesPocheVIPDined on 1/25/2014Our daughter joined us on our second visit here. She proclaimed the fish & chips very authentic, as she had eaten them when in Ireland 2 years ago. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2014The atmosphere was great. Lively & fun, but the food was nothing special. Bland crab cake & the beer battered fish was just bad . Dinner menu had few options. Not a steak offered or even Irish stew or shepherds pie, etc. fun place , yes, but we went to eat good food. Don't understand what this place was packed.Special Features:
- disappointmentnateDined on 1/24/2014We were disappointed in the quality and preparation of the food. My wife had short ribs an $25.00 and it was like a stew with heavy gravy and the meat distributed through the gravy. It could have just as well been over cooked chuck roast. I had the redfish and was also disappointed in the preparation. I'm not so sure it was really redfish. It looks like they may have a decent happy hour but we didn't arrive in time for that