The Inn at Sugar Hill
5704 Mays Landing - Somers Point Rd
Mays Landing, NJ 08330Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Inn at Sugar Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.innatsugarhill.com/
- Phone: (609) 625-2226
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday 12:00pm - 4:00pm Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Larry Boylan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Inn's off-premise catering company, Carousel Catering has been hosting in home or office parties & hall weddings for the past ten years. Call Donna Kenney at 609-625-2021 for a custom quote & menu choices.
- Private Party Facilities: The main Inn boasts three intimate dining rooms graced with fireplaces, floral wallpaper & linen draped tables that accommodate from 12 to 32 guests. The entire inn can be reserved for 75 guests. Along the 200 foot bulkhead there are brick terraces that when tented can host receptions for up to 100 guests. Call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Margaret Boylan 6096252226
- Entertainment: Live entertainment every Friday in the Sunset Lounge 6:30pm till 10:30pm. Live piano music (standards) on Saturdays 6:30pm till 10:30pm. Live bands every Friday & Saturday nights from May to September, 6:00pm till 10:00pm at the Dockside Grill along the waters' edge.
- Special Events: Call Larry Boylan, owner / chef at 609-625-2226
A word from The Inn at Sugar Hill
The Courier Post recently honored the Inn with three & a half stars boasting, “Owner/chef Larry Boylan has put a kitchen full of thought into his waterside Inn at Sugar Hill.” That “thought” process has been ongoing for Boylan & his Inn for 22 years now, with no signs of letting up. “ I believe a good dining experience has the ability to not only nourish the body, but also nourish a persons’ soul… to be able to reach out & touch someone on that level is a high that gives me a lot of satisfaction & motivates me”, states Boylan. As an authentic Country Inn, the Inn at Sugar Hill has always strives to provide old world hospitality to both its’ dining & bed & breakfast guests. This philosophy has led to creating menus that reflect not only current culinary trends, but also respect the palates of those less adventurous. “Before I print a new menu I always look it over & say… what are my parents going to order & then… what are my teenage daughters going to like!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Inn at Sugar Hill - Best Restaurants in Mays Landing ›
The Inn at Sugar Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (26)special occasion (22)romantic (17)neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (11)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (5)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)good for groups (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- My Review of The Inn at Sugar HillSchuylerDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I went to The Inn at Sugar Hill to celebrate our 44th wedding anniversary. My daughter had given me a gift certificate to the restaurant for Mother's Day. The food was very good, service was great. We made two new friends of the people sitting next to us. Next time we want to try the dockside grill.Special Features:
- great viewPICKYDined on 8/23/2014food and service were okay==== view excellent. food -nothing bad, just fair,service was pleasantSpecial Features:
- eatupDined on 8/16/2014beautiful views and several small dining rooms make for a lovely spot. the staff was very friendly and the menu did have gluten free options noted - very helpful. the food was delicious and I appreciated the "bistro" plates -- slightly smaller entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Wonderful Venueelman1952Dined on 8/16/2014The food was excellent, the service attentive, the views wonderful. Definitely recommend for a romantic dinner or upscale lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014I think they only serve breakfasts to Inn guests and lunch only one day a week. Will stay at the Inn in the not too distant future. Even though the weather did not cooperate we had a wonderful evening. Hope to stop down at their water front bar and grill on our next visit. A beautiful view from our table on the enclosed porch.Special Features:
- NancynannersDined on 7/26/2014The Inn is in a lovely setting with beautiful views. The food was great, however the service and surrounding clientele left quite a bit to be desired. Service was sporadic. The guests at the other tables were loud, on cell phones and took away from the overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KPbkKPbkDined on 7/26/2014Food was very disappointing and menu on web and in restaurant differed.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014What a disappointment! Dined here with my husband and my mother. We were seated in an empty, too-cold room after a brief wait. The food was not what I had expected - especially after viewing the menu online. The pictures of the food are better looking than what one actually gets. First, the crab cakes - too much filler and that amateur-looking uniform coating of breadcrumbs (as if they'd come from a box of frozen crab cakes). Next, the stuffed shrimp - overdone and dry, not much flavor. The accompaniments: mashed potatoes that clearly looked as if they'd come from a machine and creamed spinach ($4.95 extra) that was mostly a white sauce. Our server must have been busy with tables in another room, as she was not very attentive.
- Great views, poor serviceEnjoyeatingoutDined on 7/12/2014While the views are great, the service was slow and there were no visits from the wait staff to check on us during the meal. The first time we received a visit to refresh our water was during our after-dinner cups of coffee. Even though it was not busy, we were seated in the dining room next to 2 tables of loud patrons -- it was a noisy setting. It was not busy but yet we were there almost 2.5 hours. On a good note, the bartender was friendly.Special Features:
- My Birthday DinnerJoanDined on 7/12/2014I have dined at this restaurant many times and still love it. My family also know how much I like it and treated me to dinner Sat. night. They were very impressed and I know they will come backSpecial Features:
- Always enjoy the Inn at Sugar HillshoresueDined on 7/3/2014We have always enjoyed the food and ambiance at the Inn at Sugar Hill. It is the perfect spot to go to avoid the shore crowds and know you are going to have a great meal.Special Features:
- CaroleBriDined on 6/27/2014This beautiful historic Inn in a lovely setting Mays Landing made our special occasion even more special. The Dockside Grille was a nice surprise. Had a good drink & enjoyed the music down on the water before walking up the up to the Inn for our dinner. Sat on the closed in porch & watched the sun go down as we ate. Great menu with lots to choose from. The crab bisque & the seafood were excellent choices for us. Wonderful experience that we look forward to having again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacewoodsDined on 6/24/2014Staff is friendly and very attentive. Food choices are good including some unusual dishes. Food was excellent. The view of the water from a window table was spectacular.Special Features:
- A huge disappointment.GhostmanDined on 6/21/2014Service was the worst. Food was mediocre at best. Small portions and tasteless. A disgrace. Need I say more..Special Features:
- Favorite dining spotBrabDined on 6/13/2014I love love this restaurant! Staff is warm and friendly. View is fantastic. Menu is great for my seafood loving husband but still very interesting and yummy for me as I do not eat seafood. We usually have to pick a restaurant for me or him. Here we both have an excellent meal!Special Features:
- Will Return Again!AES08Dined on 6/7/2014Loved the restaurant, it had a very cozy and warm feel to it. The only negative I would say is that it took a while for our meal to finally come out. But this was the first time we had been there, so maybe something happened where they were short staffed in the kitchen. I would still definitely go back again. Everything including the soup and bread was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Identity CrisisGilbertDined on 6/6/2014Anticipating a quiet, romantic dinner. Instead, we were disappointed to find that the outdoor dining area was not romantic and quiet but a loud bar scene with children running wild all over the area, playing football in the grassy areas. We decided to try the inside dining area instead. There was a beautiful romantic area outside at the main dining area but we were told that we could not be seated there. Instead, the hostess seated us in the bar area. The bar area was naturally loud and boisterous. The food was good and the service was fine but if you are dining at the Sugar Hill with the intention of having a quiet, romantic dinner then you will be very disappointed. Cross between "Land Shark Bar and Grill" and "Chuckie Cheese".Special Features:
- MUSIC & ROMANCEscoobycarylDined on 5/30/2014We had a lovely evening at the Inn. Food, oysters & spring roll appetizers, crab bisque soup, chicken, beef, and scallops for dinner,was excellent with exception of the lobster tail, dry and overcooked but scallop sauce helped it a great deal.We finished two their champagnes, a Perrier Jouet and a Dom,, they need to keep more on hand. Dessert was trio and carrot cake, delicious. We then enjoyed Justin Weiner playing music and singing on the water front. for a wonderful finish to the evening.Recommend this place to anyone!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014We arrived late but were still welcomed warmly. The dining room was quiet and we had a table by the window overlooking the water. Food was served hot and promptly. Cherry stone clams were great and the soup full of lumps of crab. We will certainly go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 240 reviews are from the The Inn at Sugar Hill reviews archive.
- A Perfect Delight!thebluemermaidDined on 5/7/2014Live in 30 mile radius and pass Sugar Hill all the time but never visited. Decided to bring my mom for lunch and we were so pleased with the food, the scenic view, the décor of the restaurant and especially the service. It was a delightful, delicious meal and we loved it and will most certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anonDined on 5/2/2014the limited but ever changing menu offers new experiences for the adventurous with reliable standards. The view and the building complete the experience.Special Features:
- We love this place!ChuckDined on 4/12/2014We come here evey year for our anniversary. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/14/2014Used to be a really good place. This time we had watered down crab bisque, burnt crab cakes made with way too much fillers and a steak that left a lot to be desired. Service very slow had to ask the bus boy for a second glass of wine. Waitress a little on the rough side. This used to be one if my favorite places. What happened?
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014I lived in Mays Landing all my life and never had dinner at Sugar Hill Inn. It was delicious I'm going to be a new regular customer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOut2eatDined on 3/8/2014One person ordered off the reg menu. Shrimp cocktail was not fresh but previously frozen. Lobster bisque soup did not appear to be homemade, but rather dockered from a can. They sub filet for sirloin & that was delicious. The scallops were small and over cooked. For the size they should've added a few more. The roasted potatoes were hard with no flavor, not really able to eat. The crab cakes were just ok. The bread pudding was small but taste was good. The carrot cupcake did not taste fresh but defrosted. Overall we felt as though we paid too much for a subpar meal. Not only would we not recommend this place I would go out of my way to tell people not to eat here.
- Very enjoyable mealLocalyokelDined on 3/8/2014Had a wonderful experience at this establishment. First time here. Enjoyed a great stout at the bar while waiting for our reservation time. (We got there about a half hour early) The appetizers, meals and dessert selected for the restaurant week meal were all excellent. All staff were very outgoing and helpful. We both have agreed that this place is a do-over! We will return.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining Experience!!GayleDined on 3/8/2014The dining experience at the Inn at Sugar Hill was outstanding!! We chose this restaurant for the Atlantic City Restaurant Week based on the available time for dinner and the menu selections. Most participating restaurantts offered dinner at 5:00 p.m. or later and this was perfect for an early dinner at 4:00 p.m. The menu selection was perfect where it offered a variety of choices. The ambience was great where we could enjoy our conversations and not disturb any other guests! Also, the service was outstatnding with servers who where very nice and attentive to our needs without us having to ask for anything!! I would highly recommend this restaurant to my family and friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fabulous!! PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2014Food was fabulous!! Portions were just right for lunch. Service could not have been any better! Now that we have tried the INN at Sugar hill during restaurant Week, we will be going there on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for lunch on a SaturdayjoylDined on 3/8/2014We went for lunch on a Saturday during A.C.Restaurant week. Everything was very good to excellent.I checked the lunch menus for almost all the restaurants outside of Atlantic City participating in the restaurant week and Sugar Hill had a much better selection than almost all the others.Many of the other restaurants had very limited menus consisting of sandwiches and salads with one or two appetizers and one dessert, but Sugar Hill's menu was more like a small dinner with a good selection of appetizers,entrees and desserts.We have eaten there before and I'm sure we will go back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week SurpriseJeanneDined on 3/8/2014Took the husband and two adult children for lunch during restaurant week. The view from our table on the lake was breathtaking. The food choices were very generous and the luncheon was delicious. We will be back. Exceptional service and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inn at Sugar Hill a find!PhilDined on 3/7/2014We recently had the opportunity to dine at The Inn at Sugar Hill in Mays Landing, NJ. Having lived in the area for over 10 years, we have wanted to try the restaurant several times and never did until this past week. We have found a new favorite! The food was very good (I had the Meyer Ranch steak and my spouse had the walnut crusted salmon) and the service was superb. Mary Pat, our server, was cordial and helpful, and the service was impeccable. We will certainly be there again, and will bring friends along as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding serviceFranXDined on 3/7/2014My wife and I both walked out after a spectacular meal praising the friendliness of everyone we encountered, staff and fellow diners alike. Great entertainment at the lounge with awesome view and overall great vibe of nice people out for a pleasant evening. We can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food, less than ok service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Neither of our waitresses had their act together. The bus boy was excellent though.
- Third time and the best-greatVans5049Dined on 3/7/2014Third time and the best-great server-great food--no disapointments-will go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding LunchbucaasaDined on 3/6/2014The Inn at Sugar Hill provided a great lunch. The view of the waterway is outstanding and provides a nice ambience during the meal. The service was excellent and the food was very tasty. The only problem was the tables are closely spaced. Therefore since every table was occupied, your neighbors conversation was distracting from the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good service,DJSIIIIDined on 3/5/2014Great food, good service, bar order- ordered Kettle One drink was not Kettle One. Dining room lighting was bright. otherwise had a great time. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic nightboorneDined on 3/5/2014The Inn at Sugar Hill has been a long time favorite or ours but it is just not what it once was. This is one of the most romantic places to eat be it by a fireplace or on the porch with a view to die for. Unfortunately the food and service have gone from one of the best in the area to just average. We were there for restaurant week and had the lobster raviolis, crab bisque, sirloin and desserts. While none were bad and some were very good it was just an average meal with nothing outstanding or memorable which use to be the norm here. This is still a special place for a romantic meal and many love the outside dining in the summer but just look for a good meal not a great meal.Special Features:
- nothing to specialLandrosDined on 3/5/2014Food was ok nothing to special that I haven't tasted before. Service was very good. Place needed a little updating. Was not a huge fan of wicker tables and I kept kicking the table legs because of no leg room.Special Features:
- AC Restaurant Week 2014LongportionDined on 3/5/2014We hadn't been to the Inn at Sugar Hill in a few years so we decided to go with another couple for lunch during AC Restaurant Week. We were not disappointed. Our table was in a cozy corner near the fireplace. All tables were full but you did not feel crowded and it was not noisy. Our waitress was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Appetizers of crab bisque were excellent with large pieces of crab hidden in the red soup. Also good were the caesar salad and tomato basil soup. For entrees two people had the crab cakes, one person had walnut crusted salmon and the last person dined on chicken francaise. There was little sharing, we all loved our own. Dessert of white chocolate pudding, carrot cupcake, and fresh fruit topped off the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Treat During AC Restaurant WeekFrogLadyDined on 3/5/2014Went for the lunch menu during Atlantic City's Restaurant Week. Between us we had the crab bisque and Caesar salad, the chicken francaise and meatloaf. All were very good. The vegetables were crisp-tender, the mashed potatoes obviously homemade. I realize RW is not the true picture of a restaurant, but this came through with flying colors. Good job, thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.