The Inn at Baldwin Creek & Mary's
1868 North Route 116
Bristol, VT 05443Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Inn at Baldwin Creek & Mary's
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://baldwincreek.net/
- Phone: 8024532432x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00-1:00
Dinner Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5:00pm-8:00pm
Dinner Friday and Saturday: 5:00-9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef-Owner Doug Mack
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please email for our catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Three various sized dining rooms available for private dining. Groups in size from 8-50.
We also have a 1800's historic Red Barn for catering from June-October. The Barn seats up to 72 guests. Add the outdoor patio and add a tall tent just outside the Barn and groups of up to 150 are comfortably accommodated.
- Private Party Contact: Linda Harmon 8024532432x
- Special Events: Weddings and special catered events, on-site and off-site, are available.
A word from The Inn at Baldwin Creek & Mary's
"A visit to Vermont and missing Mary's is like visiting Paris and missing the Eiffel Tower" -Vermont MagazineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Inn at Baldwin Creek & Mary's - Best Restaurants in Bristol, VT ›
The Inn at Baldwin Creek & Mary's reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (27)fit for foodies (24)romantic (18)great for brunch (13)scenic view (12)good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for outdoor dining (9)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Always WonderfulBobDDined on 8/17/2014We've been going to Mary's for a couple of decades now. We first started when it was that little gem on Main Street, Bristol, and followed Doug and Linda as it blossomed into the wonderful garden it is now. Doug never ceases to come up with new and exciting dishes (though, to my daughter's delight they still keep their signature garlic soup on the menu). The ambiance is one of a cozy welcoming home, I always feel at peace there whatever room we are seated in. For this particular occasion we were celebrating our birthdays (all during the summer when each of the three of us had been on a different continent) as well as our wedding anniversary. Where else would we choose for such a special meal than Mary's? The food and service was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, expensive cocktailsNHK14Dined on 8/16/2014Wonderfully rich lobster poutine, tasty mussels in sauce, and fresh garden veggies with pasta were all very delicious. The homemade bread is also fantastic, with a hint of sweetness. My only disappointment was the cost of cocktails. I would expect to pay $10-12 in a city, but not in Bristol, VT, particularly with the small size of some. Service was great. Nice country feel.Special Features:
- Amazing!vtgold13Dined on 8/15/2014My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. We loved everything about the night- we decided to go back every year or more! This is my new favorite place!Special Features:
- not quite what I expectedcvufdinerDined on 7/31/2014We went to Mary's to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We ordered an appetizer and a cocktail which was brought in a timely fashion. At that time we ordered dinner. We were long done with our drinks and apps and realized that our waitress had taken the wine list. We got one from another waitress. With our waitress still non-present, she suddenly showed up with our dinner and we asked if we could order some wine. My husband's dinner was good, but mine was a huge pile of uncooked zucchini with a small amount of pasta, sausage and cherry tomatoes. The waitress asked if I like zucchini, which I do, or I would not have ordered it, but not so much and not uncooked. Not worth the price of the dinner in quality, or service.
- Cozy & DeliciousCozy2dishDined on 7/23/2014Our dining experiences are always enjoyable at Mary's for atmosphere, service quality, and awesome pairing of local farmers with your seasonal menus. The combination of venison and blueberries was delicious and the offering of a tasty venison appetizer earlier was a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteLouSDined on 7/20/2014Mary's holds a special place in our hearts. Warm and welcoming, local slow food done right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grandma's BirthdayDocandProfDined on 7/12/2014Took Grandma here for her birthday. Surprisingly quiet for a friday night. Always great food. Were in a room all by ourselves. Think they put us there cuz they knew Grandma gets a little rowdy after that 1st glass of champagne.Special Features:
- Mary's is always a treat!Eire33Dined on 7/5/2014This is our second year celebrating our wedding anniversary at Mary's. We love the food, the service is terrific and the atmosphere is soothing and relaxing. This visit, we enjoyed the Summer Salad, grilled Romaine salad and oysters as the prelude to a beautiful piece of salmon (my husband) and a fabulous pasta dish for me-rich and delicious with ricotta and basil. We each had a dessert featuring LuLu's ice cream - so delicious! We were also treated to a small split of Champagne on the house, which was a delightful gesture. I would heartily recommend Mary's to families and couples as all are treated so well and it is just a gem of a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014Food was "fine"; menu too eclectic; every entree had been "fussed with" too much. A beer each; one had salad; one had cup of soup; bottle of medium-priced wine; two entrees; total was almost $140, without tip. NOT worth it. Could have dined @ Pauline's, same dinner, twice for that price.
- A non-foodie's commentServeMeWellDined on 6/20/2014Food for me is like coal in a furnace; I consume it so that it will provide energy to my body. I care about ambiance and service. Both ambiance and service excelled at Mary's! The setting is beautiful, both interior and exterior. An old inn, its guests (both overnight and more temporary than that) are treated royally. Everything is possible; nothing is too difficult. The service excelled in competence, pleasantness, and professionalism. Oh, and the food was magnificent, even to a non-foodie. It was prepared just right; the variety was superb; and the mix of flavors was subtle and profound. We celebrated an anniversary there, but any excuse to dine at Mary's will do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DinnerLarryjgDined on 6/15/2014The chef seems to have a knack for matching subtle tastes. The emphasis on subtle. We all noticed that certain flavors that we were expecting, from having the read the description in menu, did not jump out. Even in the "world famous" creamy garlic soup, which was by the way delicious, the flavor of garlic, which was very much present, did not slap you in the face. We found the same with most of the dishes we had, and although at the end, remarked on what a wonderful meal, the word subtle, describes the well paired flavors best. Our son, the culinary student, currently working at a catering establishment in Burlington, was very enthusiastic about the "poached fried egg". Wonderful flavor, and amazing consistency!Special Features:
- Bday dinnerJennyDined on 6/15/2014Always a good meal but this time not much on the menu for entrees and prices seemed higher.Special Features:
- Father's day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014The had a seafood omelet but I had really wanted eggs benedict. I asked for a seafood benedict and it was the best ever! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Candlelight DinnerLightsOutDined on 6/12/2014We arrived to a no power evening at Mary's. they had spread candles across the tables and were relaxed and light about the lack of power. They had a generator that didn't fire. WE enjoyed lovely wine and local beers with our lucious oysters and warm bread. The summer menu is fun and delicious. Steak, salmon cooked gently and a lobster roll! Great fun. Too bad it was not an evening to enjoy the out door terrace.Special Features:
- Green Mountain GemvermontritaDined on 6/11/2014Baldwin Creek was fantastic again. We had dinner this time. The menu choice are wide and so appealing that the only problem for us was choosing what to order. The food was just right for flavor, preparation and presentation. We had appetizers, 4 dinner entrees and desert. They could NOT have been better. Service was friendly, prompt and thorough. Whenever we get to this part of Vermont we dine at Mary's place and have never,ever been sorry about our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MartyDined on 6/4/2014There are good reasons why this was not our first visit to Mary's!Special Features:
- Idyllic Vermont foodie destinationPurslanePercyDined on 5/30/2014We "found" Mary's more than twenty years after we'd enjoyed meals at its earlier location in downtown Bristol. In about 1992 we went there and saw that it was closed. Not until yesterday did we learn that in 1994 they moved to an old farmhouse about 5 miles away. We stopped there for dinner and had the same glorious cream of garlic soup we'd enjoyed two decades ago together with extraordinary main courses. The craft beer on tap was such that we decided to stay the night, and luckily a room was available. Tasteful, clean, quiet, delightfully soft bed, all the trimmings. Breakfast in the morning was once more spectacular. Thanks Linda, Mack and family. GGDSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marys at Baldwin CreekFreshdineDined on 5/11/2014Our recent brunch at Mary's continued their tradition of serving consistently great dishes, while adding some fun and innovation. The atmosphere is unusually relaxed for such a fine establishment. Wandering outdoors to check out the creek, or see the hoophouses where your salad comes from simply adds to the pleasure.Special Features:
- from BurlingtonTempleDined on 5/11/2014Well worth the drive. Will try to do it more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice country atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2014Pleasant old country inn atmosphere. Great garlic soup, but really heavy stuff. Excellent broccoli/cheese appetizer. Swordfish special - the heavily creamed pasta was too rich and overpowering for the fish. Arctic char was OK, but not the same type you see in most fish stores. Looked and tasted different.I would recommend this to a friend.
- a special brunchmmmmDined on 5/4/2014Going to Mary's is an experience we always anticipate and we are never disappointed. The maple bacon doughnut holes were delicious.Special Features:
- Hidden gemScottdagoalieDined on 5/3/2014Our experience at Mary's was amazing ! Never before have my Wife and I felt so welcomed by a waitstaff or by the general atmosphere . From the time that we walked into Mary's restaurant until we left 2 hours later, we felt appreciated . The food on the other hand was amazing. It could not have been fresher or tastier. The cream of garlic soup had such an amazing reputation , my only regret was that I didn't order enough . I noticed on the menu that it was available to go, so I know what I'm buying my family for Christmas this year! The ambience was comforting and relaxing. There were several other groups there at the time and it never seemed crouded . This is our new go-to place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice country diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014We went to Mary's for our anniversary dinner. It was our first time there. It's a beautiful old farmhouse converted to a restaurant and inn. We did not stay at the inn. Aside from the rainy night, everything was fantastic. I had the scallops over a bed of puréed cauliflower and my husband had the vegetable lasagne. Both were cooked perfectly. Many local craftsman beers on tap. Dessert was a to-die-for chocolate brownie sundae. We can't wait to try out their brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 145 reviews are from the The Inn at Baldwin Creek & Mary's reviews archive.
- 1st Time At Mary's ~ Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014Love the 'Farm To Table Concept'. We had Stuffed French Toast and Eggs Benedict. The Eggs Benedict was good. However the Stuffed French Toast was nothing to write home about so to speak. Tasted like toast dipped in too much egg, non of the traditonal hint of cinnamon & vanilla.The stuffed part was Banana, Walnut, Chocolate and arrived looking like pudding mixture oozing out. And would have likely tasted better had it been real pudding.Or better yet, fresh slices of banana, chopped nuts with melting chocolate chunks.The fruit cup starter was nice, hard to come by super fresh fruit this time of year so we'll let the quirks about that slide. The Cream Of Garlic Soup appitizer was EXCELLENT!Special Features:
- Wonderful little restaurantSRR63VIPDined on 4/19/2014We spend a good amount of time in Vermont and are always looking for nice places to eat. The meal we had at Mary's on Saturday night was amazing. We tried the mussels, calamari and garlic soup for apps. All delicious! For main courses we had the mushroom risotto, vegetable lasagne, vermont burger and the chicken breast with maple mustard glaze Each of us were very happy with our choice. Sadly we had no room for desert! This is a little gem of a restaurant and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2014Mary's is our family's most favorite spot for a special night out. The food always prepared to perfection...lots of local selections and wonderful variety. It is the best find in northern Vermont, where fine dining is a found in many establishments and excellent chefs abound.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTaushaDined on 4/12/2014I've been to Mary's a number of times and had excellent meals. However, I was very disappointed in the entire experience Saturday night. It was my mother's birthday and I had called a week before to arrange for a special cake to be made. In my conversation with the pastry chef, she asked what I would like written on the cake and I told her "Happy Birthday Mary!". Not only did we have to wait a half hour after we were finished eating for the cake to be ready, but then it came out with nothing written on it. Additionally, they had a rib eye special for the evening which my mother and I were very excited about, but even though we were there at 6 pm, they were already sold out of it. I ordered my burger medium-rare, it came out medium-well.
- Doug and Linda have been operatingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2014Doug and Linda have been operating Mary's Restaurant and one of two locations for 30 years or more but you would never know it by the way Linda greets you at the door as if this is all fresh and new and the menu that Doug constantly up dates and improves with every passing year. The food is sourced locally if not grown right on their property and is prepared with flare and always plated beautifully. And of course the flavors that Doug brings to each dish ....... remarkable. If you live locally and have not yet tried Mary's , shame on you. If you are just passing through you have to check out what the locals in the know have been enjoying for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsEnjoyTuscanyDined on 2/21/2014This restaurant is consistent in both the diversity of menu and quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful place to eatGr8FoodDined on 2/1/2014This place was wonderful to dine after graduation. The food was delicious and the ambience was just breathtaking, from the entry way all the way until our table. Our waitress was the kindest I have ever encountered. Definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mary's Rocks!carpentermanDined on 1/25/2014Our dinner at Mary's was, as always, excellent. The atmosphere was pleasant and the waitstaff attentive without being overbearing. The garlic soup is amazing and the chocolate bar was terrific. Mary's is and has been our favorite spot for a special dinner.Special Features:
- Always a special experienceEllieBDined on 12/24/2013For the last several years a group of us have made an annual event of the Christmas Eve buffet at Mary's. Once again this year, Doug and Linda did not disappoint. We enjoyed being seated by the fire in the garden room, and the food exceeded expectations, especially the quinoa crusted salmon. Doug and Linda are always welcoming, and we feel like friends rather than patrons. We feel so fortunate to have this outstanding establishment just a short drive away.Special Features:
- Very disappointing....vtgemsDined on 12/7/2013We were somewhat disappointed in the food, I've always heard it fabulous and it seemed very bland and a bit disappointing that you serve French fries instead of something a bit more "refined" like new red roasted potatoes or something similar. The noise level was off the charts, there was a holiday party going on, perhaps the restaurant should confine the parties to a different part of the restaurant during regular hours?Special Features:
- Great findCludmdDined on 12/1/2013Afternoon high tea was wonderful. We'll definitely return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving DinnernativnyerDined on 11/28/2013This restaurant served a special Thanksgiving buffet for the holiday and was filled with families. There were delicious hors d'ouerves in the reception area for those to enjoy before being seated. The cream of garlic soup was wonderful. Desserts were abundant and the pumpkin roulade a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperiencePatriciaDined on 11/22/2013My family and I really enjoyed our experience at the Inn at Baldwin Creek & Mary's. The food and the menu was very good. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Gracious hospitalityEllieBDined on 11/20/2013Husband and I always feel welcome at Mary's. We start at the bar, and Chef Doug comes from the kitchen to say hello and talk about hockey (with my husband) and photography (with me) and a bit about food, of course. It feels as if we're friends rather than patrons. The food is invariably delicious. Husband had the hamburger and beer special. He enjoys a fine burger, and Mary's doesn't disappoint. I started with kale salad sprinkled with candied walnuts and shaved gouda and then had the gnocchi, a generous appetizer. With homemade bread fresh from the oven, I was delightfully satisfied. But there's always room for a scoop of Lulu's ice cream, and you can't do better than salted caramel. Every visit to Mary's feels like a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food - Cozy Hidden GemVTJessDined on 11/2/2013We have been to this restaurant a number of times and it has never disappointed. Located in a cozy Vermont Inn, you might not even know it's there, but is absolutely worth a visit. Warm, welcoming atmosphere. Excellent cocktails! Seasonal menu highlights the best Vermont has to offer. There is a garlic soup that has been on the menu since the restaurant opened - you must try! Romantic, comfortable, a true Vermont foodie experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place, Worth a visitChrisHDined on 10/25/2013Overall a nice place. Beautiful farmhouse and great ambiance. Food is good, but nothing exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food disappointingSuzanVIPDined on 10/12/2013Had dinner on a very busy Saturday night. Waitress was very nice but talked too much and built up our expectations of food and dinners -exceptional, unbelievable, etc etc. Food was mediocre. Fish was dry, steak was overcooked, ribs were greasy, fatty and terrible. Heard great things about restaurant. May have been just been an off night.