The Indian Garden - Chicago
247 E Ontario
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
IndianPrice: $30 and under
The Indian Garden - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://indiangardenchicago.com/
- Phone: 3122804910
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:45pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Chef K. C. Padam
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout
- Catering: The Indian Garden caters for 35 to 100 people and are affiliated with most major Banquet Halls & Hotels in the downtown area. Indian Garden specializes in weddings, baby showers, birthdays, sweet sixteens and anniversaries. Everything is custom designed to the needs of the event; special dishes off the regular catering menu can also be requested.
- Private Party Facilities: The Indian Garden offers a huge space for private parties. These parties are usually held by reputed corporate clients. Custom made menus with top of the line service is their specialty.
- Private Party Contact: Maria Benadine 3122804910
A word from The Indian Garden - Chicago
DISCOVER CULINARY NIRVANA and great variety of Indian culture as experienced through her many regional cuisines-from Bombay and Delhi to Goa. The essence of Indian Cuisine lies in the variety of spices available and the aromas generated by their use. A visit to Indian Garden is a culinary voyage of discovery to the exotic tastes and textures of India and the warmth and hospitality of her people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Indian Garden - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (14)good for groups (13)great for lunch (10)romantic (8)neighborhood gem (5)special occasion (5)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- FoodDinersDined on 10/12/2014Was good and had potential to be better. The curry sauce was good but chicken meat bland. Needed seasoning or marinated a bit. Seems like it was prepared rushed. We were there early evening and 1st customers when they re-opened, so don.t know if that was the difference in being prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrowlasDined on 10/10/2014Decor is v.good. Pleasant service. Food is good. The stairs to the restaurant is quite a climb. (Elevator is inconvenient to use.)Special Features:
- Had a great lunch for 10 peopleBensonDined on 10/10/2014Who better to judge an Indian Restaurant then folks from India - a number of the people at the table were from India - and they judged this restaurant as having very good food. It was buffet style for lunch - lots of selection - great flavors. I would recommend this at the very least as a great place for lunch.Special Features:
- Vegetarian's wet dreamglobHermanDined on 10/4/2014Although the menu has the standard generous variety of meat offerings, the list of options for non-meat eaters is almost mind-blowing. The menu's organization of: appetizers - meat/vegetarian; entrees - meat/vegetarian; etc. is MUCH appreciated. Early evening dinner setting was very relaxed and atmospheric - great for sharing bites, which is mandatory, because THE FOOD IS EXCELLENT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food poor servicefoodbefreeVIPDined on 9/30/2014Food was excellent when finally arrived but unfortunately took a very long time to come on a night with very few people in the restaurant. They were generally not apologetic when we expressed our concerns. It's unfortunate but for that reason I don't think my wife and I--who live in the neighborhood--will go back despite the delicious food.
- Best Indian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/30/2014What an amazing restaurant. The lunch buffet was delicious! I loved everything! It is a bit pricey, but well worth it. The ambiance is wonderful and the group I was with felt very welcomed and comfortable. The spice was great, not too salty and had great taste. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Cuisine I've ever hadLookinforPizzainChiVIPDined on 9/13/2014I really love Indian food. I went with my s/o and it was a very nice evening. While I've rarely had Indian food I didn't like, this place was exceptional The food was delicious and the ambiance superior to other Indian restaurants I've been to. We had a number of appetizers, dishes and naan. All were very, very good. Loved the garlic naan. A couple of suggestions -- take a peak into the kitchen when you are seated. It's a cool view. Also, the lychee martini was tasty! The only thing I would suggest they change is the burning of incense. I LOVE incense; I just don't like it where I dine. Somehow it didn't waft into the area where we dined. It was only burned in the entry area. But I would prefer to smell the delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not spectacular, but good enough.rrr2605Dined on 9/9/2014Good balance between cost and benefits. The best is the mango thing (I don't recall its name now). They have a Coppola wine which is uta best, so you Will probably slip the wine list. If you are new in the Indian food, I'd recommend you share a couple dishes and try spicy and non-spicy food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern, expensive, bad serviceGuestDined on 8/28/2014I thought the restuarant decor and layout was modern and had the high-class feel to it, also had the high prices that goes with the high-end dine-out places, but at the end the food and service is what its all about and Indian Garden is not to be praised for their food and service, especislly for vegetarian selections. The head Indian server (old bald man) was so arrogant and not wanting to hear the customer's ask but wanted to push his way. Overall service was bad and made it an unenjoyable experience. Also the resturant is hard to find, and calling them will not make it any easier as they were not very helpful. I would say thumps down for this place - too bad since it did have a good enviornment.
- Excellent lunch buffetChicagoguy55Dined on 8/15/2014While pricier than most, the buffet here is excellent and worth the premium. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We'll prepared Indian cuisine, excellent service and good ambiance.Special Features:
- BrianVIPDined on 7/16/2014Not impressed with the food or service. Stairs were not much fun either.
- Great Indian foodPhillydivaDined on 7/1/2014Hidden upstairs on Ontario but worth looking for. A great experience. Indian decor adds to the atmosphere and the food was authentic and delicious. Highly recommend this restaurant. Good for groups with large portions to share many dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice authentic indian restaurantHappyDined on 6/28/2014I brought 5 vegetarian clients from India here and they all really enjoyed the food. One of the managers happened to also be from the same state as two of my guests so that was nice as well. I thought the good was great as well. This is not a lively place to bring a date but certainly a place to come with a group to catch up. It's not your typical downtown scene and you will for sure have native people serving you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 301 reviews are from the The Indian Garden - Chicago reviews archive.
- Very DisappointingDoctorBillDined on 6/22/2014The service was quite poor. They got our order wrong and gave us chicken tikka masala instead of the lamb dish we requested. The dish they claimed was chicken korma looked and tasted nothing like the chicken korma we've had a dozens of other excellent Indian restaurants in Chicago, New York, and Atlanta. It was full of tiny little bones, which they claimed is the "way we serve chicken korma" though I've never had a chicken curry with bones in it at any other Indian restaurant. And the "curry" tasted like brown gravy from a bottle. The lamb samosas were dry and tasteless. After we spoke with the waiter about the error and the disappointment with the food, he just shrugged his shoulders and walked away.
- FuzzyWuzzyVIPDined on 6/21/2014Wait staff needed to be more efficient and pay attention to the clientele. We waited 10 min before someone came to take our drink order and that was only after we asked.
- fantastic service above allOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2014The waiter was exceptional and this is not the first time I have had this experience. The food and ambiance are great.Special Features:
- Nothing greatIdliboyDined on 4/24/2014The food was ok- nothing fantastic. The spice level was not that great everng though we asked for heat. No chapatis?? only nan. Overll the food wak ok if you are in a pinch. Nice ambience, decent service. Would not go back unless I am desperat.
- Good food- priceyDelishDined on 4/19/2014Had reservation, but still waited a few minutes. Host is a nice guy. Had good knowledge of menu options. We had to stop a waiter to help us as were couldnot wait any longer for someone to arrive to take our order. Prices high but food good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!cbl4Dined on 4/19/2014The food and staff were amazing, I will be going back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesSecondTimerDined on 3/28/2014Consistently good food and reasonable prices. Easily my favorite Indian restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food and super service!ThanksDined on 3/28/2014My husband and I were in Chicago over the weekend and had a fun and relaxing dinner at the Indian Garden. The food was excellent, but what really "made it" was that kind and personable service by our Romanian waiter (arrived from the Timisoara area 8 months ago). He was very knowledgeable and helped guide us through the menu choices and made our meal fun.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/24/2014The food and service were incredible. I had the chicken marsala dish. It wad enough food. Very tasty. I will be back for more when I am in town.Special Features:
- Good ValueTwigsterDined on 3/16/2014This is a good alternative to all the pricy Steak Houses in the neighborhood. If you want a reasonably priced tasty Indian meal in a venue with a pleasant Asian decor, this is a good one.Special Features:
- Amazing Indian!strawberrypieDined on 3/14/2014The decor in this neighborhood gem is spot on. With lush fabric and melodic fountains, you're instantly transported to another land. The food was delicious and plentiful, the service friendly and prompt. My husband and I were delighted that they serve kashmiri naan, which is one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysDaveSDined on 2/23/2014We really like this restaurant. In this age of high noise levels, the restaurant is quiet and you can have a nice dinner and talk. The food is outstanding as always. We will be back time and time again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/20/2014We loved our time with Marios...he was fun, highly versed regarding the menu and made us feel very special. We'll be back, thanks to him!Special Features:
- Valentine's Day MissStValentinesDayDined on 2/14/2014Wasn't my first choice but after 1st choice went Out of Business and 2nd choice did a blanket cancellation of all reservations I went with Indian Garden. Thanks La Grand Vie and Bandera.... Even with reservations we needed to wait about 25 minutes and then the valet couldn't find multiple patron's cars. He actually drove up with random vehicles and asked "Is this your car?" We waited another 25-30 minutes in the restaurants cold hallway until our car arrived.
- A great place for the Indian foodShruaDined on 2/14/2014A great place for the Indian food lovers. The variety of dishes is very impressive, even at the lunch buffet and by far more so in the extensive menu. The cousin is reasonably authentic according to our many Indian friends. The staff is friendly and efficient. We had to wait 10-15 min even though we had reservations and one of us had a flight to catch, but then everything was very efficient and fast. No mater whether there are only two of you, or 20, it is a great place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place decoration and ambiancePabloDined on 1/10/2014Place decoration and ambiance was very good. Food and service on the other hand was average.Special Features:
- most of the food here werellllDined on 12/31/2013most of the food here were so so salty!!!! the chicken and lamb and curry...... seriously i wasnt satisfied... pls cook all the food mildly...... too salty ..........
- Great indian foof and ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/30/2013Is a great Indian restaurant, the decoration includes lots of Indian statues and things. Food great. They have Indian wines I wasn't aware there were anySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rasmalai and Kheer dessertsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2013Rasmalai and Kheer desserts are not authentic. I suggest avoiding them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Indian food was well preparedMartiDined on 12/14/2013The Indian food was well prepared and the ambiance was very comfortable. Attentive, but not pushy, service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Every Time!JASpitzDined on 11/30/2013This is our family's favorite Indian Restaurant, and it never disappoints. They grind their own spices fresh every time, and it makes a huge difference in the aromatic flavours of their curries. They will adjust seasoning for folks who like it less heat. This second floor gem has a lovely ambience. We had a large party there once for 30 people, and they gave us the back of the restaurant and were very helpful in planning the menu and arranging the room so we could mingle before sitting down. We often come for dinner before a movie at River East 21.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than Zagat statesSpringfieldDined on 11/28/2013It was better than the 21 Zagat gives it, particularly since we had the buffet. Food was authentic, well made with attentive staff. Price was 15.99 which was reasonable. The decor was GREAT! and very typical of a place in India and in my opinion very tasteful. In my opinion if I were to rate it based on Zagat 23 for food, 25 for decor (not 15) and 23 for service. So Zagat needs to send their surveyors to other countries to get it too!Special Features:
- Hadn't been to IG for awhileSartVIPDined on 11/27/2013Hadn't been to IG for awhile and forgot how good it is. There's nothing terribly unusual about IG's food, but whatever they do, they do very well. We had cottage cheese pakoras for openers - light and subtle. We shared a great shrimp dish and the vegetarian thali. All perfectly cooked and delicious. Owners and waitstaff were attentive and friendly. Prices are fair (though I thought $21.95 for the thali was a little high). The decor is attractive and comforting. All in all, if you're in the neighborhood and want Indian, you can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Tasty but slowSamiDined on 10/13/2013Indian Food is one of my favorite; reach spices and flavors. The only issue I had was with the very slow service. it took almost 20 minutes for a waiter to take our order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok diningLornaDined on 10/4/2013We went here with a table of four and were served stale papadums, the food obviously sat in the kitchen a while before being served, it had dried out on top. The service was slow and we were stopped on the way out because the waiter realized he charged us for a cheaper beer than we were given, the difference was one dollar, ridiculous!
- Good food, but...BinrahVIPDined on 10/3/2013The service was slow and we were greeted almost as if they could have cared less that we came to eat there. Fortunately the food was excellent and therefore the evening was enjoyable. I just the host showed a little more enthusiasm about our presence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.