165 Center Street
Jackson, WY 83001Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theindianjh.com/
- Phone: 3077334111
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Thai, Indian
- Executive Chef: Sununta Haworth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from The Indian
The Indian Room invites you to enjoy the finest Indian cuisine in Jackson Hole. Owned and Operated by local residents. The Indian provides you with an authentic Indian meal. Chef Sununta Haworth and her amazing team of chefs strive to give you a culinary experience unlike anything you’ll find in Jackson Hole. The restaurant is themed after a British officers club, giving you a place to relax and enjoy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Indian - Best Restaurants in Jackson ›
The Indian reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (27)hot spot (19)special occasion (14)romantic (13)vibrant bar scene (8)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Curry your flavor at The IndianLovtodinoutDined on 10/4/2014Nice welcome to my favorite place for curry.I usually get the lamb but this time enjoyed the large scampi.Always enjoy the onion appitier and the two delicious dips.my friends relished their fried duck and the lamb.All seasoned perfectly and delicious!Thanks for currying our flavor!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014The food was good. The waitress was very cheery, yet my sense was she was burdened with too many tables. Her return to our table wasn't often untimely. Though to redeem her, we took longer than usual to decide what we wanted for entrees because we were engaged in so much conversation. Unfortunately, the only bad taste I came away with was their charge of $4.00 for a 1 -2 oz. additional side of Raitta. It's yogurt! If they had served enough Raitta with the particular dish it came with we would not have needed to order an additional side of it. Then to be charged $4.00!Special Features:
- Inexperienced serversCorbie1224VIPDined on 9/23/2014Our server gave us wrong info re: one dish, but the restaurant made up for it by augmenting what we already had. Food was very goodSpecial Features:
- Ok food/ good serviceLuv2eatDined on 9/18/2014Food was OK. I wish there was a brown rice option and that the Indian bread came with the food and was not "extra."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceMandyDined on 9/12/2014As usual the food was excellent, but we waited 30 minutes to be seated. After ordering, it took 45 minutes to get any food and our waitress never came to check on us or apologize for it taking so long. We had no water and we were starving by the time our food got to the table at 9pm, 1 1/2 hours after our reservation time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BACA1Dined on 9/12/2014Good food and atmosphere. The medium spice level was warm. Enjoyed the service.Special Features:
- Will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/5/2014This was my first visit to The Indian and as a local, I plan on returning. It was a very busy night and our food took longer than is reasonable but our waiter communicated with us so that is always appreciated. I had an Indian fried rice dish with prawns and I would have it again. I feel that the pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd serviceJxsnLocalsDined on 8/29/2014First, the food was great. It's nice to have another option in Jackson. Just know: 2 was HOT and I like hot. And now, the service. Hmmmm- it oscillated between rude and impatient to hystical. We kept thinking we were being filmed/punked to see how we would respond. Due to the strangeness of it, I'm going to chalk it up to a bad day and try again. We'll let know!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!LovevegDined on 8/27/2014The mussels and prawn appetizer is the absolute best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Our waiter was way to busy to give us any personal service. Seemed annoyed when asked questions. Food runner way more personable. Never even a follow up, how is your dinner ! Another drink not a chance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food yes, Service NOTetonDinerDined on 8/24/2014I know it's getting harder and harder to find qualified wait staff, but this was truly bad. It started with the hostess who said to follow only to leave us stranded and backin tracking out to the entry. Next time only got 2 menus. Our server was trying to help other servers, but right in the middle of taking our drinks orders? Without even an excuse me? Clearly the table next to ours was more important. Got that all sorted and our pappadam came out with all of our sides. I'm sorry, but I've actually been to India and the idea is to place rice in the center of a plate (these were way too small) and ring the rice with curry and various veg. By the time our main came all the sides were cold. It was a shame because the food was very good.Special Features:
- Curry your flavorLovtodinoutDined on 8/24/2014Excellent selection of curry to fit your palate when it comes to spice .I would recommend this to a friend.
- chiquitaDined on 8/23/2014I would go back as its the only place like this in Jackson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian FoodLindyDined on 8/21/2014Food was very good and wonderful variety. The decor was perfect for an Indian restaurant, and one would think they were dining in an urban community. Service needs a little help, but staff was friendly.Special Features:
- Delicious dining Superb serviceGourmandDined on 8/18/2014Again we enjoyed the mussels with naan. Request spoons to share the sauce it is so good! The naan was good also...better than last time. We saved the coconut milk curry (sauce) for later enjoyment. Murg Makhani or the butter chicken was delicious. The right amount of warmth and very tasty. It could have had more cashews!! The Palak Paneer didn't have much flavor. It was like blender spinach with a few pieces of chicken in it. Added the coconut milk curry to it and some of the butter chicken sauce and found it to be very tasty....just couldn't get past the green spinach puree. I know...curry...puree not leaves of spinach. Can't remember the name of the dessert but it was wonderful...sort of a cheesecake recommended by waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT- THE BEST IN JACKSON FARgreatsushiVIPDined on 8/13/2014GREAT FOOD-- GREAT DECORATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS SO COOL INSIDE I FELT LIKE I WASNT IN JACKSON- I LOVE THE BAR AND THE TIGER SIGN - THE WAITERS WERE GREAT THE NAN WAS DELICIOUS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first visit83001Dined on 8/9/2014good good and service, nice addition to JH will returnSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/8/2014Service was worse than poor and the kitchen could not time anything right. My appetizer was cold, when it was supposed to be hot. I sent it back and it back cold the second time. My friends had clams in a sauce. They brought it and the watress opened the pot to find no sauce, so it went back to the kitchen. When returned, the sauce was exquisite, but there only 6 clams and one was empty. Even worse, the pot contained 2 shrimp at the bottom - nowhere on the menu did it say that shell fish were included. Fortunately, I can eat shrimp, but if it had been crab, lobster or crayfish I would have gone into antifilactic shock instantaineously from eating the sauce. Wine list is very limited and they were out of the bottle we ordered.
- Indian In JacksonJacksonJosieDined on 8/6/2014Good Indian food especially for Jackson. Only real problem is the lights at the table need to be a bit brighter in order to read the menu.Special Features:
- Portions large, plates & menu smallsonophobiaDined on 8/4/2014The three (out of a total of six) main courses we tasted were all very good to excellent, and the portions were large. The appetizers we tried were OK. The menu offers only a very limited selection. The restaurant seems to save on plates (too small for a typical Indian meal of several shared curries plus rice) and flatware (only forks are handed out). The decor is interesting, but the booths, with their sharp corners and edges, are hard to enter and exit.
- Great local indian foodSunbeamDined on 8/3/2014Wonderful food in a great setting The service is a bit slowSpecial Features:
- Great night!JHLoverVIPDined on 8/1/2014They were willing to do anything to make us happy. They moved us to a booth which was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous find in JacksonspudgirlDined on 7/26/2014The food is absolutely fabulous. Has friends from LA that are foodies and love great Indian food. This one hit their 5 star list. The scallops apetizer is to die for. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and bland food.Foodie75Dined on 7/22/2014I've eaten Indian food for years now. This is the worst Indian food ever. Bland and flavorless. They are charging too much. 2 samosas for $8 !!!!..... Ridiculous. The rice was bland and dry. Naan was microwave kind. Never ever going here again. We had to go eat at another place after wasting $85 at this. Complete waste of money and time. Now they have decorated the place well ( British India ). That's the only good thing.
- Just delightfulDenSalDined on 7/21/2014Excellent food and a great waitress. The booths are cozy and semi-private. A great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Cuisine in Jackson :)WyomingCowboyDined on 7/19/2014OK, I know that doesn't say much...as it is the only Indian cuisine in Jackson, except for a couple of imitators. But we have traveled to India, and had authentic Indian foods, and this is pretty close to the real thing. Only issue we had is that the spiciness varies nightly...I think they are still working on the right mix. But no matter the mix, it is good. For example, some nights you can order a "2" out of 3 on spice and it will blow your socks off. Last visit, a "2" was not even memorable for its spiciness. I suppose some folks might be complaining. Butter chicken is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an unexpected pleasureskihikefishdineDined on 7/16/2014One doesn't expect to find good Indian cuisine in Wyoming, but here you will. We really enjoyed The Indian. Unfortunately I did not write down the dishes we had, but all were well prepared and flavorful. We will certainly dine at The Indian again the next time we are in Jackson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to have some diversity in JHOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/15/2014This restaurant is a great addition to the food scene in JH. Excellent food, ambiance and welcoming atmosphere.Special Features:
- Curry your FlavorLovtodinoutDined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed meeting Ryan,who took us to our table.We all had different curry that we each enjoyed.Our waiter,Kevin was very helpful with our selection and amount of spice,as well as allergy issues.Really delicious curry and great ambiance in knockout atmosphere !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much better, but skip Thai menuJacksonFoodieDined on 7/12/2014My last review of The Indian was pretty scathing as we waited almost an hour for our food and I was served entirely raw chicken. This time we still waited FAR too long despite a later reservation (at least 45 minutes). But their Indian menu is just SO GOOD! That said, this is the second time my wife has ordered off of the Thai side of the menu to great disappointment. Stick with the Indian side of the menu and be ready to wait. IMO, the food is well worth it.Special Features:
- Awesome. Just understaffedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Feel we found them on an "off" night with respect to staffing. Otherwise, the place was awesome. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- average foodDanWDined on 7/3/2014OK, but not what I would call outstanding Indian food. Owner also has Teton Thai in Driggs ID, which is incredibly good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreYancyDined on 6/29/2014We loved the atmosphere of this restaurant. It's very well done. However, when we walked in, two people (including the owner or manager, I believe) walked by us, completely ignoring us -- finally the bartender came over and seated us. The food was good -- but not any better than a run-of-the-mill Indian restaurant in a strip mall. The wine list was a joke. The server forgot our appetizer, forgot that we ordered garlic naan (instead of plain), corrected my pronunciation of raita, and generally rushed us right out of there (didn't even ask if we wanted dessert). He was trying to clear our plates numerous times while we were still eating (and the place was NOT busy). Bottom line: many much better choices in Jackson.
- The following 38 reviews are from the The Indian reviews archive.
- The Spice of LifeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014The spice of life is alive and well at the Indian. My family and I ordered samosas and malay beef satay to begin. The food was well-seasoned and perfectly prepared. My favorite element of the evening were the various sauces and chutneys. Each has a distinctive, fresh flavour and compliments the dish superbly. Our server was knowledgable about the menu and very attentive. The Lamb Vindaloo was the favorite at the table though it was difficult to decide which was best of the Butter Chicken and the Tikka Masala. To finish we shared the best carrot dessert ~ shredded and poached in ghee seasoned with cinnamon and cardamom, sprinkled with cashews. I look forward to having more family and friends visit to show them my favorite new spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly served Indian curryLovtodinoutDined on 6/21/2014Warm welcome at the door.Great to see friends at the bar as you pass by! nice selection of wine and exotic drinks like Tigers paw that was made with almond milk and Irish whiskey.Good selection of curry to choose from duck,chicken,lamb,shrimp,or vegetable.The individual curries with your choice of how hot, are served individual tandoors, your own bowl,with a side of rice.The Naan bread is a good accompaniment .For curry this is the place that curries your favor !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!VintageDined on 6/13/2014The food was outstanding. Got a chance to taste the duck and the lamb it was fantastic. The return visit will be very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No need to leave Jackson for foodJacksonGDined on 6/13/2014The Indian makes my eating experiences complete in Jackson - well, except for good Chinese food. The food and cocktails were delicious, and I was excited to take foodie friends from Europe there, and they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAP54Dined on 6/8/2014Wonderful new restaurant in Jackson. Fabulous cocktails involving ginger lime etcSpecial Features:
- SlowCampersDined on 6/6/2014I took my wife here for her birthday. We had a reservation We were greeted quickly and seated. We had plenty of time to review the menu by the time we were first greeted by our server. No specials were offered nor were we offered any advice or special information about the menu. My wife ordered chai tea and was served some chai vodka. It was fixed promptly, except that the chai was served in a tea cup, tea bag steeping with no milk. Weird. The chai was awful. Our food arrived literally 30 minutes after we ordered it. Our server apologized by saying that we were behind a "9 top". Our bad. Call and ask if a 9 top will be ahead of you. Food was really good. Service, not good. Lucky for them it's the only Indian food in Jackson.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New Jackson ClassicDrictorFoodiesDined on 6/4/2014Ryan Haworth has done it again. Like his Teton Thai in Driggs, The Indian combines lovely, comfortable design with friendly service and very good food. The Indian is one of the new handful of visionary, must-try Jackson restaurants. The menu is simple, and the food a work in progress. The Butter Chicken and naan were as good as any we've had, while the vegetarian entrees still needed a little work. Ryan is an artist with a clear vision, so there's no doubt he'll soon get everything exactly right. The portions are generous, and while the prices might seem a tad higher than your neighborhood Indian joint, they're quite fair given the Jackson Hole location. The cocktail list is impressive, and we've heard the bar scene is lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.