The Hungry I
71 1/2 Charles Street
Boston, MA 02114Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
The Hungry I
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hungryiboston.com/
- Phone: 6172273524
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday & Friday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sun 11am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Peter Ballarin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Small weddings and Rehersal diners of up to 34 people welcome; please call for information. Private Room available upstairs and we also have a patio for summer events.
- Cross Street: Mt. Vernon Street
- Public Transit: Charles St Red Line is the closest; Arlington St on the green line is also walkable.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking available; also Charles St and Boston Common Public parking lots are close by. Valet Service available nightly during dinner service; 3 doors past the restaurant on the corner.
A word from The Hungry I
Welcome to the Hungry I! Tucked just below street level on Beacon Hill's picturesque brownstone-lined Charles Street, the Hungry I is charming and intimate. Although small, it is quite cozy and very romantic. There's a true elegance to the Hungry I that comes from the surroundings, the food and the staff. A distinctively different place that makes every visit really special.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Hungry I - Best Restaurants in Beacon Hill ›
The Hungry I reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (28)neighborhood gem (21)great for outdoor dining (19)special occasion (16)fit for foodies (15)notable wine list (9)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- French food in CambridgeJSNJVIPDined on 10/5/2014Decent French food, quiet place and great service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- frenchseasideDined on 10/4/2014Ambience is romantic, intimate w seasonal w/ old world charm. The service is attentive, personal and quality, We dined on venison Au pouvre, a fresh salad and a squash soup which were tasty. At Hungry I, we could converse easily and create a memorable evening, finishing up w a stroll down Charles at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FRIENDLY RESTAURANTOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/28/2014I was very much pleased by the friendly service and friendly atmosphere. They were so kind to me to go out and find a cab for me on my late return.Special Features:
- Brunch European StyleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014Champagne Brunch. The ambiance is romantic with fresh flowers, beautiful music, the tables are set with fine China and you are immediately anticipating a culinary experience. The aroma of desserts baking in the ovens reinforces that this is a special dining experience. The staff is well versed in food prep and presentation. Each course is well timed so you have the opportunity to enjoy and savor what you are consuming. The chef is welcoming and happy to share his food experience with you.Special Features:
- Perfect date nightoutwithkimDined on 9/12/2014A quiet, romantic oasis in the center of all the night life activity of Charles st. Fantastic attention, quiet atmosphere and it surrounded by a beautiful low speed community. Food is great without a doubt. All of this is just steps from a romantic walk through the garden to digest before finishing off with a Guinness at the Sevens right next door. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True Dining ExperienceLoudDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful dinner, service, ambiance and food. A fabulous overall dning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and lovely patioAlwaysHungryDined on 8/28/2014The Hungry I has a tiny outdoor patio and even though it's surrounded by brick walls, you can see straight up to the stars, even in the city. The service and food were impeccable and the portions were perfectly sized. We made a reservation the morning of, for a decent time of 8:30pm. We arrived early and were seated immediately. Couldn't have been any better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice outside seating food is so soJoanneVIPDined on 8/28/2014We came here for the restaurant week and it's our first time here. I really like the ambient of the restaurant; the outdoor seating is very nice. However the food quality is really mediocre for how much they are charging. I am not sure I will come back again.Special Features:
- Luv luv luv your placePJMJRDined on 8/22/2014What a special night. Same as it has always been for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restuarant in boston!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014The food was delicious. The waiter was incredible. We had a great time. Great cozy restaurant in beacon hill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014I dined at the Hungry I nearly 15 years ago and it made such a lasting impression on me that I came back again during a recent Boston visit. My second experience was even better than the first. The food and the wine were world-class just like last time. But this time I had the good fortune to personally meet and chat with Peter the owner and some of his lovely staff. What gracious and lovely hosts they are! Restauranteurs in the true most old-fashioned sense. The kind of genuine care and warmth that they have for their guests is almost from a forgotten age. If your spirit is warm and gracious like the owners of I Hungry, and if you want something magical far-beyond simply another great meal, come to I Hungry.Special Features:
- C'est Bon!mikkakmifDined on 7/18/2014Le lapin c'est magnifique!!! L'ambience et cuisine sont super et les maitre d, garçon, et chef sont exactment qu'elle une restaurant français est ètre. Sorry for the poor French!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, lousy fooddeirVIPDined on 7/11/2014Hadn't been back to this Boston icon in years. We had the place to ourselves, and the quality of the food soon explained this. Bizarre salad, bland uninteresting entree, snotty service. Really unfortunate because the courtyard is magical.
- PeterDined on 7/9/2014Excellent choice for a quiet, romantic dinner. We ate in the courtyard and it was magnificent. The food was creative, well prepared, well presented and very flavorful. The service was attentive yet restrained, the staff was knowledgable, helpful and friendly. If you are a foodie and waould like a romantic dining experience, this is the place. We just returned from Paris and the Hungry I was on a par with most of the best that we experienced in France. Overall a fabulous experience and we will definately be back again and again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evoking memoriesBlindPigDined on 7/8/2014Will the sentimental prevail? We think so-- terrific 25th wedding anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dinner to rememberOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Entering through the little alley into their lovely, old-worldy bar and out onto the patio for dinner. The evening was lovely, service and hosts very friendly and willing to chat, food amazing and atmosphere wonderful. It was nice to go back after a number of years and reminded me of living on Beacon Hill when I first moved to Boston in the 80s.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed with Hungry I1DiningCoupleDined on 7/4/2014We have heard about this place for years and expected more… The service was very poor and the food average. The server was much too inexperienced for a restaurant at this price point. He poured just about the ENTIRE bottle of wine in our glasses at first pour; placed our plates half hanging off the table -- for no reason there was space on the table; and didn't realize we needed utensils following our appetizers. They were out of many menu items and did not have the wine we ordered from their list. We love to dine out and dine all over the world. The Hungry I seems to be resting on a reputation from years gone by perhaps due to the lovely room and patio (NOT the food or service). Boston has better options.
- The following 319 reviews are from the The Hungry I reviews archive.
- Authentic, intimate, and FrenchJustinDined on 6/20/2014I have ridiculously high standards so I only gave the food four stars. But, dining here is an experience. The beet gazpacho is fantastic. A beautiful evening, a kir royale and your smiling partner, perfect. The service is impeccable. But, the hanging plants and statues make the ambience truly magical.Special Features:
- less than averageonetimevisitorDined on 6/1/2014we were the only ones in the restaraunt i.e. obviously there was no need for booking at all. the food was good but nothing particularly good. eating at a chain might feel as good.
- On a WhimMattDined on 5/31/2014It was a Saturday night and I play music. Before the gig I started thinking that I'd be hungry by 8:30. So around 5:30 I was able to book a reservation for this place for two using open table for that night. It's a beautiful little place tucked in the lower level on Charles Street in Beacon Hill. Watch your head going in, there is even an ouch painted on the header. Great food, service, and wine. Also, the restaurant was quiet which is a rare find. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2014While the food was good, I thought it would be better. Not as much complexity to the cuisine as expected for the price. Dinner was over $100 without drinks, dessert or appetizers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatLuv2eatDined on 5/17/2014Great food. Romantic spot on historic Charles st. I had the venison and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still romantic, now better foodzadnorDined on 5/13/2014The Hungry i has always been one of the most charming rooms around, probably Boston's most romantic. On this visit, they upped their food game. Previously, the food was good but not up to the standards of the better restaurants in their price range. But this time the food was excellent. Venison was tender, flavorful with just the right sauce. Coq au vin was simply exquisite...one of the best I've had. This has always been one of our favorites restaurants based on the romantic ambience alone. If the food upgrade is maintained, it will be worth a visit for foodies, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place for Special OccasionSkipDined on 5/11/2014A very pleasant place to dine. Service was very good. Outdoor dining quite pleasant. Low noise level at brunch. Was advertised as one of Bonson's best restaurants. It was nice, but didn't fit into that category with respect to food - which was quite good, but not great. I'd go back again for dinner just to see what they serve and whether the restaurant does better on a less busy day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Service,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2014Great service, unmatched setting - tucked away, romantic, cozy, it was a great environment. The food was excellent, but nothing special. I had high expectations and was left feeling like I don't need to go back.Special Features:
- Would not returnJDMcKDined on 5/3/2014My daughter put it best - for a place that bills itself as romantic, she would say 'no' to anyone who proposed to her at this restaurant. Terrible service and lack of ambiance easily offset the passable food. Upstairs was nicer (we were on the below street level section) based on the reports of the people who used the restrooms.
- great foodHMFWICDined on 4/29/2014tremendous food and wine, great service. well located in BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Restaurant is a wonderful, romantic spot along Charles Street. Service was excellent, but the food was okay but pricey. My husband had the venison which he liked very much. I had the scallop and crab dish which was only average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemSharonVIPDined on 4/12/2014Fabulous dinner in a lovely, interesting setting. Three friends all had something different and fabulous. The venison ended up being the winner. My seafood dish was terrific as was my friend's steak. Chris, the manager was our excellent and entertaining waiter. Definitely ask for him. The owner came upstairs to say hello. Champagne cocktail was outstanding. I can't wait to go back. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely little placeEmiDahlDined on 3/28/2014This is a lovely little place, great for a romantic dinner with French flair. I think we aren't the perfect couple to rate the food here because we pretty much determined from this visit that while the food was excellent, maybe French food isn't our cuisine of choice - it wasn't quite hardy enough for us, some of it had very subdued flavors. But the staff was great, allowed us to take our time when we wanted it, and was friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to have a quiet ThursdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/26/2014Came here for restaurant week since the normal prices are a bit much. We both enjoyed out first and second course though I though the sides could be a little more interesting. Unfortunately my favorite part, dessert, was disappointing for both of us.Special Features:
- Don't understand the bad reviewsChampagneDined on 3/26/2014We had a lovely experience from soup to nuts...no pun intended! We were looking for that French je ne sais quoi and that's what we had. GREAT French wine selections, entrees cooked to order, beautiful flavor and properly prepared. Our server (the gentleman from Normandy) was a pleasure and very professional yet welcoming. He recognized our interest in French wines and French food and provided wonderful insights and conversation. Haters---hush up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKCatherineVIPDined on 3/22/2014Good for special occasion, but not worth your money. Do not get the Cod -- was way too salty. Venison was OK, dessert was OK. Service was excellent and it's a beautiful, private dining area.Special Features:
- Nice feel, we enjoyed it.LikeEatingandNotPickyDined on 3/22/2014We enjoyed our dinner there, primarily because it was quiet, romantic and had the perfect vibe for a night out with my wife. The food was good, but not great. The frogs legs in particular were just bland. We each had a cocktail and each was great. The venison, apparently the house specialty, was quite good. So, why only a 3? It was too expensive for what we got. I don't mind spending $250 on a meal for two - however, I do when it's not quite outstanding. I'm recommend for the ambience, but not for outstanding food.Special Features:
- A Fading Grand DamekertruffleVIPDined on 3/21/2014Sadly, Peter, the owner/chef, who's HungryI has been a Charles St. old-line Beacon Hill stalwart over the better part of 4 decades is aging. Badly. Like a duchess whose teeth aren't exactly that pearly white any longer. Actually, yellowing badly. With rouge applied messily on her withered cheeks, H.I. is fading. Fast. Boursin crepe? Really? I think of Boursin in the same brainspace as Mateus. And The Mamas and The Papas. Peter, step aside. Let' a young turk with old-school sensibilities but with au courant culinary skills take over. Dust off the mahogany high boys and invigorate that old girl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't live up to its ***reputationcupcakeDined on 3/21/2014quaint, lovely place. Full of atmosphere. Our main course was wonderful and an excellent-sized portion for Restaurant Week. The other courses weren't nearly as good, so the portion size was irrelevant.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014Service was excellent and friendly. There were very helpful in selecting wines.Special Features:
- Great starters,mediocre main dishesDaveSDined on 3/20/2014Thursday night was quiet, as expected and we were seated in their lushly appointed 2nd floor overlooking the interior courtyard. My wife eagerly devoured the pate appetizer, I lingered over my delicious vegetarian choice. Unfortunately, those were the highlights of the meal. My wife's steak au poivre was sliced very thinly with no internal room for a juicy rare treat between its seared sides. My mushroom strudel had so much spicing that the mushrooms were lost in the heat. Her pear tartin dessert was a whole poached pear with a few crusts scattered on the plate while my chocolate bread pudding contained so much cinnamon that the chocolate was lost. And that's not including swapping a 2011 Pinot for a $60 2009. Not a $100 dinner
- Entrees outshone the salads.HarborviewDined on 3/8/2014Entrees outshone the salads. Maybe should have gotten a traditional appetizer instead? But really it was because the entree was incredible!! I got the quail special and my husband got their venison, both were tremendous. Our waiter was helpful and appropriately attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy - very good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/4/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at the tiny little The Hungry I on Charles Street. The prices were higher than you'd expect in such a small place, but I guess that's necessary to keep going. All of the French food was very tasty. The interior is dark wood, with a live fire. Nice, low background music. Definitely a place to go if you're not going to worry about the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.