The Hungry Cat - Santa Monica Canyon
100 W. Channel Rd.
Santa Monica, CA 93101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Hungry Cat - Santa Monica Canyon
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thehungrycat.com/
- Phone: (310) 459-3337
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:30 - 11:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm- 10:00pm
Saturday & Sunday 11-3
Mon - Fri 5-5:30
Saturday - 3-5:30
Sunday - 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Monday to Friday
5:00pm to 7:00pm
1/2 off specialty cocktails, draft beer and $6 House White and House Red Wine
$8 specialty cocktails (including Bloody Marys), 1/2 off draft beer and $6 House White and House Red Wine
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: David Lentz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering, please call 310.459.3337 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Events: Private dining room available. Please send your inquires to email@example.com
A word from The Hungry Cat - Santa Monica Canyon
The Hungry Cat Santa Monica Canyon, our third location, sits on the PCH with amazing views of the Pacific Ocean. Chef/owner David Lentz & crew continue to focus on high quality fish paired with the best locally sourced ingredients, often from nearby farmer's markets. The 13 seat raw bar showcases Pacific and Atlantic oysters, Santa Barbara sea urchin, raw and marinated fish dishes, crab and lobster.Continued
The market-inspired bar specializes in seasonal cocktails, craft brews and a wine list geared toward seafood.
The Hungry Cat Santa Monica Canyon is open daily serving dinner.
Valet Parking is available!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Hungry Cat - Santa Monica Canyon reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (17)special occasion (15)romantic (13)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (6)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (5)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/21/2014The food is good, but nothing to write home about. I've had better oysters at other places. I asked for my burger medium rare and it came well done. The waiter didn't seem to know much about the food or the beer or wine. Overall the experience was okay, but this is my third time eating at this location and I've always been a little disappointed. However, I have eaten at the Santa Barbara location and it was very good.
- Unbelievable food but you pay for Health planSteveDined on 11/14/2014the food here was absolutely unbelievable. Some of the best food I've ever eaten. The service was great as well. Also had one of the best variations on a whiskey sour ever as well. However we experience the weirdest thing ever. When we got our check we had a line item it said healthy California. This was a 3 percent tax that the restaurant imposed so that the patron will pay for the restaurant's staff to have a fully payed health care plan.really?. I'm all for everyone having a health plan but what should the Patriots be paying for? Should I be helping them pay their rent? Should I help them with their food cost? we spoke to the manager about it and he tried to explain it but I still have a hard time accepting this. I think the restaurant should bear the cost of getting their employees a food pay for health planSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Food was a major disappointment. Short ribs, were all fat, lobster roll was heavy with mayo, and soup with crab was so thick, more like a pasty stew and over seasoned. Oyster's were great, lastly they serve martini's in an Manhattan glass, pretty tacky. Prices are very high for the quality, and the fact that they want the diner's to pay their employees medical insurance is ridiculous, especially at the prices they charge for average food.
- Inconsistent experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/3/2014I went a few weeks ago w a girlfriend...had a great time. Food was good, service was good. So I suggested to another group of my friends we go, and it was a very different experience. Food was still good, but service was spotty, to the point where all of my friends said they would never go back. So that's that.
- Monday night Oysters Half Price!LuncherVIPDined on 10/27/2014Took out of town guests here - I forgot about the Monday night half price special on oysters. The food is always good, as is the service. It is noisy but fun. Highly recommend for a delicious seafood dinner - easy to get to and valet parking!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Everything on the seafood tower was below average and the service was not very good. The food took a very long time and no one came by to refill our water or wine. A disappointing experience.
- cajunfoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Yummy! Casual, like the open atmosphere. Very beach decor casualSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flawless NightDavidDined on 10/8/2014We like coming into the Hungry Cat for the drinks, the food, the service and the ambiance. Some of the best food you'll ever get your hands on. Amazing raw bar with the best shrimp cocktail we've ever had. The bar does all fresh squeezed juices and interesting riffs on classic cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time delightEnjoyfinediningDined on 10/2/2014Easy to drive right by the valet, but once settled the place was great. Very attentive service, excellent fresh oysters, interesting (although not amazing) custom cocktails, fabulous swordfish, and light banana bread pudding (which I would not typically order but did on the recommendation of the waiter)Special Features:
- Tasted like Cat FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014The service started as terrific with flair and character BUT then it disappeared. We don't know if the waiter was sharing another gig at one of the too many establishments on Channel Road but he was GONE. The fried chicken sandwich was HORRIBLE. The chicken was not very good and the bread might have been left over from the one of many restaurants that has been at the same location over the years. The rest of the food was equally poor. Not a very good showing at all.
- Dinner Trumps Brunch at Hungry CatMamaVIPDined on 9/27/2014Dinner is the meal to order at HC Santa Monica Canyon. The restaurant was so quiet that there wasn't anyone behind the oyster bar. The oysters we ordered were delicious but someone was brought out of the kitchen to shuck them. Crab cake Benedict was delicious. Our server was very pleasant. Love this place for dinner. For brunch, I'll stick with Tavern.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New OutpostYumsterVIPDined on 9/19/2014Outstanding from start to finish! As a long time fan of Hwood location I was confident bringing a colleague here. His comments ranged from "wow the decor here is really cool", to "this is the best uni I've ever had" then "can I get their business card". The newest location is outstanding and we will back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came for the Blue Crabs, much more!TpayneDined on 9/7/2014Great Service, Short walk through the tunnel right to the beach. The Corn, Ribs, Heirloom Salad and the Chicken were great. Very extensive F&B menu.Special Features:
- A great localDmh2530VIPDined on 9/4/2014Just the best place to be if you live in the Canyon as we do It's the neighborhood place we've always cravedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ErikaErikaVIPDined on 8/31/2014Fantastic food, zero thought when seating diners, tried to get out as quickly as possible, unfortunately. worth coming back for the lobster roll alone.Special Features:
- Nantucket on the west coastkjlllVIPDined on 8/30/2014Delightful decor w a casual and hip vibe. Starting with the peel and eat shrimp(delicious) and fried green tomato tuna tartar(yum) the food was fit for foodies! Drink menu was clever and wine list was small but wonderful. We will go back!Special Features:
- Happy But Loud CatBadgersrockVIPDined on 8/23/2014After a enduring the worst traffic on PCH we could recall, our mood improved 1000% due to a very enthusiastic and welcoming wait person. We ordered a dozen blue point oysters and two glasses of wine. We received the wrong oysters and 1 glass of wine. Both were eventually rectified and very tasty. The mignonette sauce was too piquant, the red sauce was good though a small dish with freshly grated horseradish would have been good. The salmon accompanied by potato gratin, roasted tomatoes was perfectly cooked. The lobster came on a delicious challah roll accompanied by piping hot French fries. The lobster was perfectly cooked and the dressing was flavorful. A fun but very loud place. The next cat for us will be in Santa Barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing SeafoodSadiaSatoDined on 8/18/2014This is my second time to this restaurant and both time have been excellent. I love the spices that the chef uses. The Softshell crab dish with forbidden rice was the best I've ever had. The Tuna with Morrocan spices was so flavorful! My husband ordered the Lamb and Clams and it was so full of flavor. I really can't wait to come back here. And one more thing... The wait staff was so attentive and so right on on recommending dishes. Thank you for the wonderful service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near the beachFoodmavenVIPDined on 8/10/2014special Maryland crab fest was fun. Food was good but not great,esp the soft shell crab po'boy which was mostly bread and tomatoes, Drinks were great. I have eaten there before, and food was much superior, i guess on a special night you should stick with the specialsI would recommend this to a friend.
- very fresh seafoodSandyrkVIPDined on 8/4/2014I have eaten at this restaurant several times. It can be inconsistent, but on this recent visit, the seafood was extremely fresh and well-chosen. A definite step up. Also love the small plates approach on much of the menu, so that a group can share. We were very happy with the overall experience, although the wait staff is inconsistent and doesn't always get the order right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingrmikeVIPDined on 8/4/2014We go to Hungry Cat at least 2 times a month on Mondays for 1/2 off oysters. Most of the evenings the food and service are great but on Aug 4th, we had a very disappointing experience. The server was either in your face talking way to much, or no where to be found. He brought bottled water when we just wanted regular tap water, the crackers for the Uni were completely stale, every batch he brought was equally as stale. He forgot to order a cheese plate for the two diners not eating oysters, the oysters were never described as to what they were, the special pasta was not cooked and the crab and sauce were watery. The wait times for drinks and food were almost unbearable. If we weren't there for a celebration we would have left.
- The following 464 reviews are from the The Hungry Cat - Santa Monica Canyon reviews archive.
- We love the Hungry CatFlirtwithFoodDined on 7/26/2014Been to Hollywood and Santa Barbara locations and I marvel that the food can be so consistently good at each place. Flavors are vibrant and fresh and always innovative and nuanced in their combinations. Wine choices and cocktails are stellar. We both had the cucumber gimlet -- a perfect choice for a hot summer night and a generous glass. One of the best restaurants in Los Angeles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks & fun foodDinersDined on 7/25/2014Break out of the norm & enjoy Hungry Cat.... A bit pricy but comes with the location. Great to take another couple out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBoilWaterVIPDined on 7/22/2014Been here several times in past years and also many times at the Hollywood location. Cocktails, anything that is raw or uncooked is at a much higher level than the Cookes food. Hollywood is so much better and even this place uses to be much better. Probably won't come back again.
- Noisy CatChiliCheeseFriesDined on 7/21/2014Drawn to Hungry Cat for Monday night half-off oysters, which did not disappoint. All of the food was delicious, but service was very slow. For the price of the menu, I expected more attentive service. The waiter didn't even give us the specials, but maybe he was having an off night. It's also quite noisy. The restaurant is all smooth surfaces and the tables are very close together, so don't expect a quiet candlelit evening. Do expect well-executed, tasty food, from the appetizers to the desserts. They have a varied but concise menu so you're bound to find something you like.Special Features:
- Poor serviceGraMedinaDined on 7/19/2014Our waiter was never around. The food took forever to get to the table. Utensils kept coming much later than the food. Our table was never cleaned. I had to get up and get the manager to come and clean it for us. He never bothered asking how everything was going.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014Enjoyed our meal here and had the DINE LA special 3 course meal. Halibut was nicely done with lots of chopped veggies and generous portion. My friends liked the albacore tuna as well. Bread pudding with carmel and peanuts were to die for. Way better than the lemon tart. Slightly slow service but not too bad for a Saturday night. I'd go back for the fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- la week-reular menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/17/2014the la week menu sounded good-first course was fine-tuna over cooked on second course-shortbread cookies stale at the end- regular menus looked wonderful-again first course of soup was good-chicken not cooked on second course-maybe second team was on-if so need to be trained better
- Great food, service not so suremdrivelDined on 7/16/2014The food is impeccable. We were there for dineLA and the menu was great all the way thru. Service was polite but slow. We called it 'Euripean'. What I question is the waiter leaving the cost of dessert on the bill when it was included in the dineLA cost. The first course was correctly handled. This makes me question whether this was an accident or 'accidentally on purpose'. Perhaps I'm overly suspicious. Worth going but watch your bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for date nightLukeDined on 7/11/2014Great food. Cozy but vibrant atmosphere. Have had two good dates here with my girlfriend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Slow Raw BarSethVIPDined on 7/5/2014We enjoyed our meal, as the clams, oysters, mussels and shrimp we ate from the raw bar were very fresh and terrifically seasoned. The only negative was that it took 45 minutes from the time we ordered our shellfish for it to arrive at our table. It was a holiday weekend Saturday night, so maybe they were short staffed. The cocktails were creative and exceptional. The dessert choices were lacking. Our server new the food and menu well. The manager stopped by more than once to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. We will definitely try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique seafood spot4barrygVIPDined on 7/2/2014Enjoyed our celebration. Although the menu is limited, we each enjoyed our meal. The service was very good but not 5 star. Same for the entire experience. One of our guests absolutely loved it. Definitely worth a try. Like I mentioned, it's a unique/different seafood dinner spot. Check the menu to see if it sounds right for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maryland CrabsJillersVIPDined on 6/29/2014We went for the special Maryland crabs. They were very small. Our server told us they had run out of the bigger (male) crabs by the time we got there for our reservation at 7:15 pm. She said the best time to come would have been 2 pm when they opened. Oh well. It was still a fun experience but we really didn't get much crab meat.Special Features:
- Crabs at the beachAnaveragejoeDined on 6/29/2014OMG! Crabs were more than horrific! I am from the Chesapeake Bay and these were the tiniest, spider like crabs I have ever seen but forget that, most of them were bad and really smelled, we had to have them taken off the table. If you cook a dead crab, that is what it smells like. The few that didn't smell were all full of water the crab meat was just plain mush. The only reason I will go back there is because one of the managers, Manny was so gracious to us that I promised I would try other food. They definitely have good service from the hostess and servers to the bus boys, but Hon, forget about the steamed blue crabs! I had made reservations for all three of their crab days and cancelled as soon as I got home. Too bad, so sad.
- Lobster Roll - no worth gettingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014I have been here several times and was craving a lobster roll. I have always enjoyed the food and had seen the lobster roll. I am a New Englander. I was so disappointed with the lobster roll. The herb aioli was so over powering that you didn't even know that you were eating lobster and the roll was so buttery that it was greasy. I will go back but never again will I get the lobster roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left Hungry Like the CATSorahDined on 6/22/2014Lovely menu and seemingly fresh food destroyed by too much grease. Paid $25.00 for the soft shell crab on menu of Sunday Brunch. frys where greasy, soggy and BAD. Soft Shell Crab could have been incredible but was also greasy and soggy. Come on-Get your grease cleaned up and stop destroying what would have been great! Husband had fried chicken. Sorry but U goofed on that one too!Special Features:
- AllanDined on 6/21/2014Awesome service and amazing food! The exterior of the restaurant made me hesitant, but inside was worth it.Special Features:
- InnovativebiondoDined on 6/19/2014Very good food - and different! we THOROUGHLY ENJOYEDSpecial Features:
- FL LadyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014The Hungry Cat was really a fun, delicious place. The cocktails were creative and so tasty. The menu is not extensive but the selections were varied. My halibut dish was delicious and everyone in our party enjoyed his meal. The wine list is very good. Our service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nick7677Dined on 6/15/2014Service this time wasn't the best I've had here and the white wine was served room temp. I think somebody forgot to put it in the fridge in time or maybe they had run out since it was a holiday. Server couldn't describe the differences with the Oysters they were serving that night but did come back after she spoke to the raw bar chef.Special Features: