The Hungry Cat - Santa Monica Canyon
100 W. Channel Rd.
Santa Monica, CA 93101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Hungry Cat - Santa Monica Canyon
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thehungrycat.com/
- Phone: 3104593337x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:30 - 11:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm- 10:00pm
Saturday & Sunday 11-3
Mon - Fri 5-5:30
Saturday - 3-5:30
Sunday - 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Monday to Friday
5:00pm to 7:00pm
1/2 off specialty cocktails, draft beer and $6 House White and House Red Wine
$8 specialty cocktails (including Bloody Marys), 1/2 off draft beer and $6 House White and House Red Wine
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: David Lentz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering, please call 310.459.3337 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: Private dining room available. Please send your inquires to Tim Staehling : email@example.com or Manny Castillo at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from The Hungry Cat - Santa Monica Canyon
The Hungry Cat Santa Monica Canyon, our third location, sits on the PCH with amazing views of the Pacific Ocean. Chef/owner David Lentz & crew continue to focus on high quality fish paired with the best locally sourced ingredients, often from nearby farmer's markets. The 13 seat raw bar showcases Pacific and Atlantic oysters, Santa Barbara sea urchin, raw and marinated fish dishes, crab and lobster.Continued
The market-inspired bar specializes in seasonal cocktails, craft brews and a wine list geared toward seafood.
The Hungry Cat Santa Monica Canyon is open daily serving dinner.
Valet Parking is available!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Hungry Cat - Santa Monica Canyon reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (26)good for groups (16)hot spot (14)romantic (11)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (6)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- ErikaOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/31/2014Fantastic food, zero thought when seating diners, tried to get out as quickly as possible, unfortunately. worth coming back for the lobster roll alone.Special Features:
- Nantucket on the west coastkjlllVIPDined on 8/30/2014Delightful decor w a casual and hip vibe. Starting with the peel and eat shrimp(delicious) and fried green tomato tuna tartar(yum) the food was fit for foodies! Drink menu was clever and wine list was small but wonderful. We will go back!Special Features:
- Happy But Loud CatBadgersrockVIPDined on 8/23/2014After a enduring the worst traffic on PCH we could recall, our mood improved 1000% due to a very enthusiastic and welcoming wait person. We ordered a dozen blue point oysters and two glasses of wine. We received the wrong oysters and 1 glass of wine. Both were eventually rectified and very tasty. The mignonette sauce was too piquant, the red sauce was good though a small dish with freshly grated horseradish would have been good. The salmon accompanied by potato gratin, roasted tomatoes was perfectly cooked. The lobster came on a delicious challah roll accompanied by piping hot French fries. The lobster was perfectly cooked and the dressing was flavorful. A fun but very loud place. The next cat for us will be in Santa Barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing SeafoodSadiaSatoDined on 8/18/2014This is my second time to this restaurant and both time have been excellent. I love the spices that the chef uses. The Softshell crab dish with forbidden rice was the best I've ever had. The Tuna with Morrocan spices was so flavorful! My husband ordered the Lamb and Clams and it was so full of flavor. I really can't wait to come back here. And one more thing... The wait staff was so attentive and so right on on recommending dishes. Thank you for the wonderful service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near the beachFoodmavenVIPDined on 8/10/2014special Maryland crab fest was fun. Food was good but not great,esp the soft shell crab po'boy which was mostly bread and tomatoes, Drinks were great. I have eaten there before, and food was much superior, i guess on a special night you should stick with the specialsI would recommend this to a friend.
- very fresh seafoodSandyrkVIPDined on 8/4/2014I have eaten at this restaurant several times. It can be inconsistent, but on this recent visit, the seafood was extremely fresh and well-chosen. A definite step up. Also love the small plates approach on much of the menu, so that a group can share. We were very happy with the overall experience, although the wait staff is inconsistent and doesn't always get the order right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingrmikeVIPDined on 8/4/2014We go to Hungry Cat at least 2 times a month on Mondays for 1/2 off oysters. Most of the evenings the food and service are great but on Aug 4th, we had a very disappointing experience. The server was either in your face talking way to much, or no where to be found. He brought bottled water when we just wanted regular tap water, the crackers for the Uni were completely stale, every batch he brought was equally as stale. He forgot to order a cheese plate for the two diners not eating oysters, the oysters were never described as to what they were, the special pasta was not cooked and the crab and sauce were watery. The wait times for drinks and food were almost unbearable. If we weren't there for a celebration we would have left.
- We love the Hungry CatFlirtwithFoodDined on 7/26/2014Been to Hollywood and Santa Barbara locations and I marvel that the food can be so consistently good at each place. Flavors are vibrant and fresh and always innovative and nuanced in their combinations. Wine choices and cocktails are stellar. We both had the cucumber gimlet -- a perfect choice for a hot summer night and a generous glass. One of the best restaurants in Los Angeles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks & fun foodDinersDined on 7/25/2014Break out of the norm & enjoy Hungry Cat.... A bit pricy but comes with the location. Great to take another couple out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBoilWaterDined on 7/22/2014Been here several times in past years and also many times at the Hollywood location. Cocktails, anything that is raw or uncooked is at a much higher level than the Cookes food. Hollywood is so much better and even this place uses to be much better. Probably won't come back again.
- Noisy CatChiliCheeseFriesDined on 7/21/2014Drawn to Hungry Cat for Monday night half-off oysters, which did not disappoint. All of the food was delicious, but service was very slow. For the price of the menu, I expected more attentive service. The waiter didn't even give us the specials, but maybe he was having an off night. It's also quite noisy. The restaurant is all smooth surfaces and the tables are very close together, so don't expect a quiet candlelit evening. Do expect well-executed, tasty food, from the appetizers to the desserts. They have a varied but concise menu so you're bound to find something you like.Special Features:
- Poor serviceGraMedinaDined on 7/19/2014Our waiter was never around. The food took forever to get to the table. Utensils kept coming much later than the food. Our table was never cleaned. I had to get up and get the manager to come and clean it for us. He never bothered asking how everything was going.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014Enjoyed our meal here and had the DINE LA special 3 course meal. Halibut was nicely done with lots of chopped veggies and generous portion. My friends liked the albacore tuna as well. Bread pudding with carmel and peanuts were to die for. Way better than the lemon tart. Slightly slow service but not too bad for a Saturday night. I'd go back for the fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- la week-reular menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/17/2014the la week menu sounded good-first course was fine-tuna over cooked on second course-shortbread cookies stale at the end- regular menus looked wonderful-again first course of soup was good-chicken not cooked on second course-maybe second team was on-if so need to be trained better
- Great food, service not so suremdrivelDined on 7/16/2014The food is impeccable. We were there for dineLA and the menu was great all the way thru. Service was polite but slow. We called it 'Euripean'. What I question is the waiter leaving the cost of dessert on the bill when it was included in the dineLA cost. The first course was correctly handled. This makes me question whether this was an accident or 'accidentally on purpose'. Perhaps I'm overly suspicious. Worth going but watch your bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for date nightLukeDined on 7/11/2014Great food. Cozy but vibrant atmosphere. Have had two good dates here with my girlfriend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Slow Raw BarSethVIPDined on 7/5/2014We enjoyed our meal, as the clams, oysters, mussels and shrimp we ate from the raw bar were very fresh and terrifically seasoned. The only negative was that it took 45 minutes from the time we ordered our shellfish for it to arrive at our table. It was a holiday weekend Saturday night, so maybe they were short staffed. The cocktails were creative and exceptional. The dessert choices were lacking. Our server new the food and menu well. The manager stopped by more than once to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. We will definitely try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique seafood spot4barrygVIPDined on 7/2/2014Enjoyed our celebration. Although the menu is limited, we each enjoyed our meal. The service was very good but not 5 star. Same for the entire experience. One of our guests absolutely loved it. Definitely worth a try. Like I mentioned, it's a unique/different seafood dinner spot. Check the menu to see if it sounds right for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maryland CrabsJillersVIPDined on 6/29/2014We went for the special Maryland crabs. They were very small. Our server told us they had run out of the bigger (male) crabs by the time we got there for our reservation at 7:15 pm. She said the best time to come would have been 2 pm when they opened. Oh well. It was still a fun experience but we really didn't get much crab meat.Special Features:
- Crabs at the beachAnaveragejoeDined on 6/29/2014OMG! Crabs were more than horrific! I am from the Chesapeake Bay and these were the tiniest, spider like crabs I have ever seen but forget that, most of them were bad and really smelled, we had to have them taken off the table. If you cook a dead crab, that is what it smells like. The few that didn't smell were all full of water the crab meat was just plain mush. The only reason I will go back there is because one of the managers, Manny was so gracious to us that I promised I would try other food. They definitely have good service from the hostess and servers to the bus boys, but Hon, forget about the steamed blue crabs! I had made reservations for all three of their crab days and cancelled as soon as I got home. Too bad, so sad.
- Lobster Roll - no worth gettingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014I have been here several times and was craving a lobster roll. I have always enjoyed the food and had seen the lobster roll. I am a New Englander. I was so disappointed with the lobster roll. The herb aioli was so over powering that you didn't even know that you were eating lobster and the roll was so buttery that it was greasy. I will go back but never again will I get the lobster roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left Hungry Like the CATSorahDined on 6/22/2014Lovely menu and seemingly fresh food destroyed by too much grease. Paid $25.00 for the soft shell crab on menu of Sunday Brunch. frys where greasy, soggy and BAD. Soft Shell Crab could have been incredible but was also greasy and soggy. Come on-Get your grease cleaned up and stop destroying what would have been great! Husband had fried chicken. Sorry but U goofed on that one too!Special Features:
- AllanDined on 6/21/2014Awesome service and amazing food! The exterior of the restaurant made me hesitant, but inside was worth it.Special Features:
- InnovativebiondoDined on 6/19/2014Very good food - and different! we THOROUGHLY ENJOYEDSpecial Features:
- FL LadyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014The Hungry Cat was really a fun, delicious place. The cocktails were creative and so tasty. The menu is not extensive but the selections were varied. My halibut dish was delicious and everyone in our party enjoyed his meal. The wine list is very good. Our service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nick7677Dined on 6/15/2014Service this time wasn't the best I've had here and the white wine was served room temp. I think somebody forgot to put it in the fridge in time or maybe they had run out since it was a holiday. Server couldn't describe the differences with the Oysters they were serving that night but did come back after she spoke to the raw bar chef.Special Features:
- Nothing to Write Home AboutFoodie2ShoesDined on 6/15/2014But since you asked... Our waiter seemed a little distracted. The marinated mussels were over seasoned. The tuna tartare was nice, as were the fish tacos and the lobster rolls. But it's ok, we really came for oysters, and they were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back in New EnglandCyclingpsychiatristDined on 6/11/2014Seafood as if I were back on Nantucket only with a wonderfully California cuisine twist. The pasta with crab was excellent. The fried egg, pancetta, & asparagus salad was gigantic and absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Food; mediocre servicePorcyVIPDined on 6/9/2014Waiter checked out...I've eaten here a bunch and service is usually much better...
- Family dinnerOthellosdadDined on 5/31/2014My parents are not the youngest people around anymore, but are in great health and vigor. It was a combined birthday dinner. The food was magnificent, the service was attentive but never intrusive. Our table was sheltered from the gales of conversations in the restaurant so that we could hear ourselves and still enjoy the vibrancy in the room. A great evening had by all.Special Features:
- Rude service and zero ambiance.WunDinerManVIPDined on 5/25/2014The restaurant was empty yet they sat me and my girlfriend between two tables of 6. Not very romantic. When I requested a table change the manager was very nice and accommodating. Unfortunately the rude server whose section we were supposed to sit in was talking to our new server behind a partition near our new seats and insulted us for moving tables and ordering caviar and champagne. We heard all of his bad mouthing and we're very upset. We were starving and didn't want to say anything in case they spit in our food. Which they could have done regardless. I don't know. The food that came out was decent. Not great. I have been a patron of this restaurant many times and I will not go back because of this rude service. This place won't last.
- Great find!PammyDined on 5/24/2014Everything was spot on! We were seated us as soon as we came in. The server came right over...friendly yet efficient. There are lots of specialty cocktails and menu items. She was very patient and repeated them at least several times. I had a yummy "kumquatini" which I would have it again. My friend and I split a sampling of 6 oysters. Our husbands shared a salad which they said was great. I had soft shelled crabs with black rice for my main course, which was out of this world! My only complaint was that there was only a choice of 2 (non-liquid) desserts. I would like to see more of a variety to finish off an otherwise stupendous meal. I'm no food critic, but this meal was a home run for me . It was a repeat-worthy experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceAlinDined on 5/24/2014The service here is always personal and friendly and the food reliably delicious. I highly recommend it for a fancy dinner or casual eating at the bar. Just excellent food, employees and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sdf35114VIPDined on 5/24/2014I was taking out my aunt for her birthday and both she and her friend ordered the crab special. It was delicious but since they are bother over 65 they really struggled with the presentation getting the meat out. If she had known the amount of work she would need to do, she would have ordered something else. She did enjoy the meal overall but that was her comment. She ended up taking most of it home because she did not want to do more in the restaurant setting.Special Features:
- SO GOODstmonicagalVIPDined on 5/23/2014The seafood was delicious - the mussels appetizer was unreal, main courses all unique in taste. Service friendly. Vibe warm.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/16/2014Excellent food with unique flavor and ingredient combinations. However, the dessert menu is lacking, with only two items to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place made me a hero!BrittyKittyDined on 5/11/2014I took my mom here for Mother's Day and the family could not stop raving about how great of a selection it was. The food and service are awesome and it's right across from the beach. We sat on the patio and it was really pleasant. I also came here once before for a regular brunch and it was equally delicious and the service was just as attentive. It's surprisingly never too busy which makes it nice and quiet! Both times I had the blueberry bread with cinnamon butter as an appetizer which is so delicious. We also had the peel and eat shrimp which was great. The crab cake benedict, lobster and pea frittata and pork cheek hash were definite crowd pleasers as well!Special Features:
- The following 433 reviews are from the The Hungry Cat - Santa Monica Canyon reviews archive.
- Great Food, Disappointed w the ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014The food, drinks and service was wonderful. However, this place is ON the beach but it has no view. The windows are high up so the place is dark and divey.Special Features:
- OYSTERFEST WAS A BLASTMamaVIPDined on 4/27/2014Happy 3rd Anniversary to Hungry Cat, Santa Monica Canyon. We really enjoyed the celebration by eating luscious, fresh oysters (1/2 price for the occasion)shrimp, Oyster Po boy and a beautiful grilled asparagus salad. A delicious, delightful meal. Also, warm, wonderful service .Special Features:
- Great food, but really loudsportybecksDined on 4/26/2014We were a little turned off by how loud the restaurant was; my husband and I had to sit next to eachother to hear one another. But, when the food came, we forgot about that as it was so good! It's not in our neighborhood but if we go back, I would order the same thing! Excellent oysters and the "Lamb & Clams" was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.