Hollywood, CA 90028Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Hungry Cat - Hollywood
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thehungrycat.com/
- Phone: 3234622155x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday thru Friday 12pm-3pm
Happy Hour Monday thru Friday 3pm-6pm
Dinner Monday thru Wednesday 530pm-10pm, Thursday thru Saturday 530pm to 11pm, Sunday 5pm-10pm
Brunch Saturday and Sunday 11am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: David Lentz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Let The Hungry Cat cater your next party. From small intimate affairs to large scale events, The Hungry Cat covers food, cocktails and wine. Give us a call at 323-462-2155.
- Special Events: Please visit www.thehungrycat.com for more information.
The Hungry Cat bar specializes in seasonal, market driven cocktails, craft brews and an eclectic wine list .
The Hungry Cat is open daily serving lunch and dinner, with brunch on the weekends. The patio is an amazingly calm respite from the hustle and bustle of Hollywood.
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
- FRESH!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/25/2014Been here twice in the last 2 months. Freshest seafood I've found in L.A. in a loooong time. Great place to go before a show at the Palladium. The oysters are really tasty, the lobster and crab are fresh, not previously frozen. Haven't tried many of the cooked dishes, so can't comment here. Will say the service is a little slow, I think they understaff perhaps. However, the servers are very nice and know their food.Special Features:
- REMARKABLEBlauVIPDined on 10/23/2014We took our daughter to the HUNGRY CAT for her birthday. She is an aspiring chef with a popular food blog. She has an amazing palate (as does my wife) and she was totally blown away by the flavors and the quality of the ingredients. My wife had the mussels which has to be the largest, juiciest mussels I have ever seen in L.A. My daughter had the uni pasta... and our waitress was fully informed on EXACTLY how they prepared the dish. I had the trout --I love trout -- I have never had better trout in my life. This is a great place. Go, eat, enjoy. It's not that hard to do at the Hungry Cat.Special Features:
- One of My Favorites Go-TosOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Hungry Cat is one of my absolute favorite restaurants in Los Angeles. Everything is smart, fresh and lovely. I've been going since they've opened and I've never been disappointed. I love everything about it and an extra bonus is it's in the middle of Hollywood but tucked away.Special Features:
- Dinner and a showOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Wife and I had tickets for a show at the pantages. The hungry cat is just a short block and a half walk. Excellent food great service and ambiance. Lots of smaller items fit for sharing and the entrees are perfect portions. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotCaseyDined on 10/20/2014I love this place. The seafood is always really good and they almost always have interesting specials.Special Features:
- Good food as alwaysEatinfoolDined on 10/18/2014Been to Hungry Cat many times..best burger in town:Thick juicy..blue cheese, egg and avocado..yummy french fries. You can't go wrong w/any of their selections.Sometimes they get a bit experimental (which is fun) most of the time they succeed..sometimes too many ingredients in a special you get hit with a lot of strong blasts (as they season heavily). The clams w/ lamb merguez sausage & chick peas is divine w/rustic grilled bread w/a cross between garlic aoili & rue tho this time they were skimpy w/the lamb sausage so the flavor of the lamb was lacking a bit. Great lobster roll w/ yummy FFs.Try the Market salad the right amt of avocado, chunks of parmigiano, shallot vingrt salty & chunky.Menu changes but there are a number great standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!!xxxxxVIPDined on 10/14/2014Friendly and inviting!! Arrived very early (much less traffic from Palm Springs!!) and my husband and I were greeted with relaxed pleasure and welcome. Had glasses of wonderful wine, perfect salad and fabulous oyster/pork dish. Bright window views and warm service by all...we WILL be returning!!Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseAJC1950Dined on 10/14/2014Staff was friendly, professional and extremly helpful. Dinner part of menu a bit limited, but the specials were fantastic. My wife had the grouper fish and I had the pork loin with pork fat. Both amazing. The grill bread very tasty. We started by sharing the Fall salad. This in it self could be a meal for one. Crowned by the pancota with French press coffee. My wife was actually humming through her meal. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DisappointmentginabroomDined on 10/11/2014We were really looking forward to trying out The Hungry Cat, considering it's been on quite a few lists of the top restaurants in Los Angeles. However, we were underwhelmed by our experience. The oysters on the half-shell were great, but our lobster rolls were not good. The lobster was a bit rubbery and the rolls did not taste fresh. I was hankering for a beer to go with my dinner, but the beer list was lacking. The service was fine, but given that there are so many great restaurants around, we can't imagine that we'll be coming back to the Hungry Cat anytime soon.
- Hungry Cat is always great!LADimSumGirlDined on 10/11/2014A treat on theatre night! Love the menu and the seasonal items for fall are WONDERFUL (autumn salad, softshell crab sandwich). Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Great drinks and seafoodAcesDined on 10/5/2014The scene is fun and lively with interesting drink choices and delicious seafood. Too loud to bring parents but a great place for a 2nd or 3rd date or special occasion meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood FindAwkwardVIPDined on 9/26/2014Great food and a lot of fresh special. Friendly and knowledgeable staff and great ambiance. I had a virgin cocktail - Cucumber ginger spritzer and it was excellent. Husband had the Eves Apple cocktail and he liked it. We started with 1/2 dozen oyster and fresh sea urchin - both very fresh. Husband had the Rock crab special and I had the halibut cheeks special, both are excellent. The Halibut cheeks were definitely a generous portion, and I normally don't care for Jerusulem artichoke, but it was a nice complement to the dish. We finished with the Coconut panna cotta with a duche de leche sauce, which was absolutely excellent.Special Features:
- Always love Hungry Catlongbrds11Dined on 9/23/2014My wife and I love Hungry Cat. Great food. Very good cocktails. Just always a place we enjoy going out to on a Friday night on our way over to the arc light. This time we were going to a screening at the arc light and kept having a revolving table of guests as they were fighting the Friday traffic and our waitress was extremely accommodating. Definitely went out of her way to make it an easy going experience.Special Features:
- Food was so so, service also..FoodieVIPDined on 9/22/2014Watered out drinks, weird un-chewable pieces in various dishes like the soft-whell crab and so so service this time around. Probably won't be returning for a while. The best way to have good food here is to eat the lobster and drink wine out of a bottle it seems. The other stuff they can screw up in various degrees.Special Features:
- Casual, Yet SophisticatedSoCalGeofVIPDined on 9/21/2014The vibe of the Hollywood location, about a block from the ArcLight Cinemas and somewhat hidden off the street, leans casual in a way that makes dining here easy and comfortable, especially if you're just walking in or made a last-minute reservation. The cold seafood platters are a perfect way to start--the single "tier" is enough for three to four diners to get a little of everything and is generous for two. The larger tiers can make a meal. For me, the desserts were the least notable aspect of the menu compared with the rest of the food, which was excellent and spot-on. I'm definitely a fan of the mixed drinks as well.Special Features:
- perfect pre-theater mealAlice123Dined on 9/18/2014The dishes were interesting and creative. The food came out fast too. The price for what you got was also impressive - I'd say a great value. Our server was professional and knew her stuff. The only sour note in our meal was a stone fruit dessert that has a strong and very odd bitter flavor. But we'd definitely come back - the meal was overall pretty terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost therespicy4meDined on 9/14/2014The Hollywood location does not shine like their location in Santa Monica. The food was tasty, the service was not to my standards and it was not even busy. The oysters, which are my favorites, were improperly shucked. Pulling an oyster out w your teeth does not enhance your dining experience. The tap beer was unavailable because they had an issue w the system and their bottled selections were a little short on choices. Would I dine there again? Yes. But I would choose their SM location for the fast and friendly service for my $$.
- Underwhelmedluv2dineVIPDined on 8/30/2014Every time I go to the Hungry Cat I want to love it. Every time I'm underwhelmed. Started with the oysters. No choices... you get what you get. They were so salty, it was like eating a spoon of salt. The main course (I had the crab special) was just okay. The portions (friends dinners included) were small as well as the martini's!! Considering the prices... I'd rather sit and look at the ocean instead of Walgreen's. I'm officially taking it off my list of dining possibilities.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find, different seafoodoceansblueDined on 8/23/2014Was visiting LA with my Dad, staying in the heart of Hollywood, did not anticipate anything much better than chains. Did a yelp search for seafood and The Hungry Cat popped up, lovely quiet little place just off Hollywood/Vine, very chill ambiance, not crazy like the rest of Hollywood. I eat a lot of seafood and think I know something good when I come across it, this was excellent. Very off the usual use of flavors and textures, not your basic seafood, but seafood elevated. The specialty cocktails also very well done. Highly recommended (worst thing I can say is that it took a minute to find as its tucked just around the corner from the empty store front with the proper address - hang a right just before you get to Jersey Mikes.Special Features:
- Good but hard to findHappydinerDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant is set in from the street so we were wandering up and down the street trying to find it. It would have been helpful if that was noted in the restaurant info. Besides that, the food was very good. Excellent lobster roll! Also would like to see bit more of selection for wines by the glass.
- Best Fish Tacos & Craft Cocktails!ElyssapVIPDined on 8/19/2014Came here with a friend the other day for lunch with the fish tacos on our brains. And they did NOT disappoint - they were so incredibly delicious! They are also accompanied by yummy "street corn on the cob" with butter...amazing. I had the Baltimore Sun cocktail which was a super nice change of pace from getting a mimosa. So well made. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Hungry CatSDietVIPDined on 8/17/2014This was a 1st time dining experience at The Hungry Cat. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food. Our waiter was very helpful with our selection of entrees. I definitely would return to The Hungry Cat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Hungriest of CatsbrooksdinerDined on 8/16/2014I went to the Hungry Cat in order to check another restaurant off the list my girlfriend and I have of restaurants we want to eat at before we leave the city. The ambience is something rare in Hollywood -- it is understated and casual, a place you'd be perfectly comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt, but with a clear leaning toward fine dining. We sat outside on a nice summer's night and had a wonderful time. The wine is a bit overpriced, though it does have a carafe option which is nice if you're on a budget. We had half a dozen oysters, grilled octopus, and a whole roased black bass special. All of the food was delicious, and the service was friendly and impeccable. Would definitely go back, but only when I don't mind spending extra.Special Features:
- Good Food.Not great locationGustavoOrtegaJDined on 8/15/2014Nice atmosphere. Not many options for menu. Good food. Limited wine list but good selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service slow but honestchu105VIPDined on 8/15/2014Had half dozen oysters, grilled octopus, and lamb n clams. Food came out not fast given they weren't crowded but the server made sure to note our desired departure time to make our concert at Catalina. Overall predictable and consistent seafood option for area. Would rec if convenient but not a destination.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, food & serviceFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014I like this place. Good seafood. Cute spot right in the smack of Hollywood especially when sitting outside. The service is always pretty good and the staff is friendly.Special Features:
- RidiculousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014I made a reservation for The Hungary Cat. The day of our reservation I went online to Open Table to change the time from 11:30 am to 12:00 pm. I received a confirmation back. We went to the restaurant only to find out it was out of business, CLOSED!!
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceLaxVisitorDined on 8/8/2014We had a wonderful meal with great service in a nice setting. The food was the star and lived up to its pre-dining billing. We will be back again. We have not been disappointed with a Susan Goin dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodBaltimoreboyDined on 8/4/2014The Hungry Cat is a terrific little place, with a nice, intimate outdoor dining area. My friend and I shared 12 oysters, Mexican, Northwest, East Coast. They were all delicious. For a main course we both had lobster rolls which came with french fries. They were both outstanding. The lobster was great, the fries spiced just a bit, wonderful. For dessert we split a berry cobbler that was large enough for two. It too was fantastic. I had two glasses of Chardonnay, really perfect with the lobster. Our waitress was a New York girl who was wise cracking and hilarious. The moon was out, it was a cool night and all in all the whole meal was great. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- HUNGRY FOR HUNGRY CAT!achefdinesoutDined on 8/3/2014My husband is an executive chef and rarely loves anything he doesn't make himself, this is one of his favorite spots. We worked in a 4 star resort on an island in Alaska and had the freshest seafood known to man, but this place is better! The raw bar is excellent, they bring in different oysters, on different nights, from around the world. Live Santa Barbara sea urchin is highly recommended . They combine unique flavors /sauces with the freshest cuts of sashimi , like cashew brittle and yuzu? amazing! I could eat their Lobster Roll sandwich for lunch every day of my life. Its got low key facade indoor and small patio at the hollywood location- location is smaller and more intimate, great for a date. Fresh juice elixirs, yes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CraigVIPDined on 8/2/2014We have eaten at Hungry Cat Hollywood dozens and dozens of times over the years and this was the first bad experience. The food was still great but the service was terrible. Start with the rude wait staff all of whom seemed to be new. Then go to the buser who was in such a hurry to clean the plates that he dropped one and splashed and stained our clothes. Finish with the manager whose lukewarm apology almost made the situation worse. I'm sure we will be back because the food is so good but I hope that it was just an off night and not a sign of things to come.
- GreatDJP2Dined on 7/25/2014This is quickly becoming one if my regular spots. I've had two great meals there so far.Special Features:
- Friday NightProfKen101VIPDined on 7/25/2014octopus appetizer is so good that it's worth coming back for. the sea urchin, a special this night, was good, but uni sushi at a good Japanese sushi restaurant can be transcendent. too many sauces competing for the tuna which was slightly overcooked. the sea bass was better. great service. ambience okay.Special Features:
- LA restaurant week 2014TizocDined on 7/25/2014The fresh grilled fish sandwich was very tasty and fresh. The fries were truly amazing!Special Features:
- Yummmy!cplunchDined on 7/24/2014I liked the food, service was good. we got ignored a little, but we flagged down another waiter and they were happy to help us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great experienceAdiamondVIPDined on 7/20/2014This was my third or forth time to Hungry Cat and I was not thrilled. When we first sat down, one of the servers asked if we preferred sparking or still. We agreed on sparking. Seeing the bottles of purified water on everyone's tables we thought "oh cool! they get that awesome purification system that so many restaurants now have and offer complimentary still and sparking water!". Nope - it came and it was a big ol' bottle of mountain spring ($8). We mentioned to our official waiter that we thought it was wrong to make it sound like something that was complimentary and he said (ver rudely) that he's never heard of any restaurants offering this service and said "he could take it back and bring us tap". Classy!
- klassicDined on 7/19/2014Outstanding restaurant...with a star chef. The food is conisistently outstanding and original and very very fresh.
- Yummy foodInlovewithfoodVIPDined on 7/18/2014Awesome food variety and super delicious. everything I had there has been outstanding.Special Features:
- Off the beaten pathGoodFoodDined on 7/18/2014We walked past the place and then figured out it was tucked away a bit. The food is not your typical seafood restaurant which took a few minutes to wrap my wits around it. Once I got a brief overview of the different items I quickly selected my meal. The food was excellent and the service was just as good. I would go back again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigFoodieBigFoodieDined on 7/18/2014I did not have a good experience with the DineLA menu because the entree I ordered (Lamb n'Clams) was very very salty and I had to drink a lot of water. I felt like every bite I took was full of salt. Also, the dessert (lemon parfait) was too sweet, which made it hard for me to finish my whole meal. Although the entree and dessert was not great, the appetizer (squid salad) was very good and tasted great.Special Features: