Hollywood, CA 90028Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Hungry Cat - Hollywood
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thehungrycat.com/
- Phone: 3234622155x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday thru Friday 12pm-3pm
Happy Hour Monday thru Friday 3pm-6pm
Dinner Monday thru Wednesday 530pm-10pm, Thursday thru Saturday 530pm to 11pm, Sunday 5pm-10pm
Brunch Saturday and Sunday 11am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: David Lentz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Let The Hungry Cat cater your next party. From small intimate affairs to large scale events, The Hungry Cat covers food, cocktails and wine. Give us a call at 323-462-2155.
- Special Events: Please visit www.thehungrycat.com for more information.
The Hungry Cat bar specializes in seasonal, market driven cocktails, craft brews and an eclectic wine list .
The Hungry Cat is open daily serving lunch and dinner, with brunch on the weekends. The patio is an amazingly calm respite from the hustle and bustle of Hollywood.
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/30/2014Every time I go to the Hungry Cat I want to love it. Every time I'm underwhelmed. Started with the oysters. No choices... you get what you get. They were so salty, it was like eating a spoon of salt. The main course (I had the crab special) was just okay. The portions (friends dinners included) were small as well as the martini's!! Considering the prices... I'd rather sit and look at the ocean instead of Walgreen's. I'm officially taking it off my list of dining possibilities.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find, different seafoodoceansblueDined on 8/23/2014Was visiting LA with my Dad, staying in the heart of Hollywood, did not anticipate anything much better than chains. Did a yelp search for seafood and The Hungry Cat popped up, lovely quiet little place just off Hollywood/Vine, very chill ambiance, not crazy like the rest of Hollywood. I eat a lot of seafood and think I know something good when I come across it, this was excellent. Very off the usual use of flavors and textures, not your basic seafood, but seafood elevated. The specialty cocktails also very well done. Highly recommended (worst thing I can say is that it took a minute to find as its tucked just around the corner from the empty store front with the proper address - hang a right just before you get to Jersey Mikes.Special Features:
- Good but hard to findHappydinerDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant is set in from the street so we were wandering up and down the street trying to find it. It would have been helpful if that was noted in the restaurant info. Besides that, the food was very good. Excellent lobster roll! Also would like to see bit more of selection for wines by the glass.
- Best Fish Tacos & Craft Cocktails!ElyssapVIPDined on 8/19/2014Came here with a friend the other day for lunch with the fish tacos on our brains. And they did NOT disappoint - they were so incredibly delicious! They are also accompanied by yummy "street corn on the cob" with butter...amazing. I had the Baltimore Sun cocktail which was a super nice change of pace from getting a mimosa. So well made. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Hungry CatSDietVIPDined on 8/17/2014This was a 1st time dining experience at The Hungry Cat. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food. Our waiter was very helpful with our selection of entrees. I definitely would return to The Hungry Cat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Hungriest of CatsbrooksdinerDined on 8/16/2014I went to the Hungry Cat in order to check another restaurant off the list my girlfriend and I have of restaurants we want to eat at before we leave the city. The ambience is something rare in Hollywood -- it is understated and casual, a place you'd be perfectly comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt, but with a clear leaning toward fine dining. We sat outside on a nice summer's night and had a wonderful time. The wine is a bit overpriced, though it does have a carafe option which is nice if you're on a budget. We had half a dozen oysters, grilled octopus, and a whole roased black bass special. All of the food was delicious, and the service was friendly and impeccable. Would definitely go back, but only when I don't mind spending extra.Special Features:
- Good Food.Not great locationGustavoOrtegaJDined on 8/15/2014Nice atmosphere. Not many options for menu. Good food. Limited wine list but good selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service slow but honestchu105VIPDined on 8/15/2014Had half dozen oysters, grilled octopus, and lamb n clams. Food came out not fast given they weren't crowded but the server made sure to note our desired departure time to make our concert at Catalina. Overall predictable and consistent seafood option for area. Would rec if convenient but not a destination.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, food & serviceFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014I like this place. Good seafood. Cute spot right in the smack of Hollywood especially when sitting outside. The service is always pretty good and the staff is friendly.Special Features:
- RidiculousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014I made a reservation for The Hungary Cat. The day of our reservation I went online to Open Table to change the time from 11:30 am to 12:00 pm. I received a confirmation back. We went to the restaurant only to find out it was out of business, CLOSED!!
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceLaxVisitorDined on 8/8/2014We had a wonderful meal with great service in a nice setting. The food was the star and lived up to its pre-dining billing. We will be back again. We have not been disappointed with a Susan Goin dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodBaltimoreboyDined on 8/4/2014The Hungry Cat is a terrific little place, with a nice, intimate outdoor dining area. My friend and I shared 12 oysters, Mexican, Northwest, East Coast. They were all delicious. For a main course we both had lobster rolls which came with french fries. They were both outstanding. The lobster was great, the fries spiced just a bit, wonderful. For dessert we split a berry cobbler that was large enough for two. It too was fantastic. I had two glasses of Chardonnay, really perfect with the lobster. Our waitress was a New York girl who was wise cracking and hilarious. The moon was out, it was a cool night and all in all the whole meal was great. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- HUNGRY FOR HUNGRY CAT!achefdinesoutDined on 8/3/2014My husband is an executive chef and rarely loves anything he doesn't make himself, this is one of his favorite spots. We worked in a 4 star resort on an island in Alaska and had the freshest seafood known to man, but this place is better! The raw bar is excellent, they bring in different oysters, on different nights, from around the world. Live Santa Barbara sea urchin is highly recommended . They combine unique flavors /sauces with the freshest cuts of sashimi , like cashew brittle and yuzu? amazing! I could eat their Lobster Roll sandwich for lunch every day of my life. Its got low key facade indoor and small patio at the hollywood location- location is smaller and more intimate, great for a date. Fresh juice elixirs, yes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CraigVIPDined on 8/2/2014We have eaten at Hungry Cat Hollywood dozens and dozens of times over the years and this was the first bad experience. The food was still great but the service was terrible. Start with the rude wait staff all of whom seemed to be new. Then go to the buser who was in such a hurry to clean the plates that he dropped one and splashed and stained our clothes. Finish with the manager whose lukewarm apology almost made the situation worse. I'm sure we will be back because the food is so good but I hope that it was just an off night and not a sign of things to come.
- GreatDJP2Dined on 7/25/2014This is quickly becoming one if my regular spots. I've had two great meals there so far.Special Features:
- Friday NightProfKen101VIPDined on 7/25/2014octopus appetizer is so good that it's worth coming back for. the sea urchin, a special this night, was good, but uni sushi at a good Japanese sushi restaurant can be transcendent. too many sauces competing for the tuna which was slightly overcooked. the sea bass was better. great service. ambience okay.Special Features:
- LA restaurant week 2014TizocDined on 7/25/2014The fresh grilled fish sandwich was very tasty and fresh. The fries were truly amazing!Special Features:
- Yummmy!cplunchDined on 7/24/2014I liked the food, service was good. we got ignored a little, but we flagged down another waiter and they were happy to help us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great experienceAdiamondVIPDined on 7/20/2014This was my third or forth time to Hungry Cat and I was not thrilled. When we first sat down, one of the servers asked if we preferred sparking or still. We agreed on sparking. Seeing the bottles of purified water on everyone's tables we thought "oh cool! they get that awesome purification system that so many restaurants now have and offer complimentary still and sparking water!". Nope - it came and it was a big ol' bottle of mountain spring ($8). We mentioned to our official waiter that we thought it was wrong to make it sound like something that was complimentary and he said (ver rudely) that he's never heard of any restaurants offering this service and said "he could take it back and bring us tap". Classy!
- klassicDined on 7/19/2014Outstanding restaurant...with a star chef. The food is conisistently outstanding and original and very very fresh.
- Off the beaten pathGoodFoodDined on 7/18/2014We walked past the place and then figured out it was tucked away a bit. The food is not your typical seafood restaurant which took a few minutes to wrap my wits around it. Once I got a brief overview of the different items I quickly selected my meal. The food was excellent and the service was just as good. I would go back again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigFoodieBigFoodieDined on 7/18/2014I did not have a good experience with the DineLA menu because the entree I ordered (Lamb n'Clams) was very very salty and I had to drink a lot of water. I felt like every bite I took was full of salt. Also, the dessert (lemon parfait) was too sweet, which made it hard for me to finish my whole meal. Although the entree and dessert was not great, the appetizer (squid salad) was very good and tasted great.Special Features:
- small restaurant near kodak theatreChenVIPDined on 7/15/2014Chorizo Clams is interesting. Oyster in DINELA menu is so so. Steak is ok. Lobster roll is good but not the best one I have. Service is not that good.Special Features:
- A Great Return to An Old FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014I used to eat at the Hungry Cat all the time but hadn't for the past year because I was tired of the menu, which didn't change often enough, and underwhelmed by the lobster and oysters, which didn't seem as fresh as ones I ate elsewhere. But this time everything was fine--I had the lobster with papardelle, which was delicious. The only flaw was that the pasta was stuck together--the cook didn't stir it enough. My friend liked his fish as well. And I was particularly impressed with the Gris de Gris Rose; it's one of my favorites and new to the wine list. Eating outside was very pleasant also.Special Features:
- Not Impressed..OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/9/2014This restaurant was listed on Jonathan Gold's 101 top restaurant list, so I expected to be awesome. However I was pretty disappointed with both food and service. The food wasn't anything spectacular, my soft shell crab dish was over salted, but my boyfriend's pan roasted barramundi was okay and so were the half shelled oysters. The chocolate bread and butter pudding was very chocolaty - not a bad thing I suppose for most. The service was so-so. very slow for the entrees to come out on a very non-busy night and I even over heard some other tables complaining about that. Overall my experience here was just alright. I wouldn't say it was bad and I wouldn't say I wouldn't come here again..next time around I would have lower expectations.Special Features:
- CozyToDieForMustDoDined on 7/5/2014The oysters are fresh tasting and the lobster roll delicious. This place is a must on your to do list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood, close to the theaterRBJ1Dined on 6/29/2014Great fresh seafood, good service with some characters walking by that didn't add to the ambience. Wine list didn't measure up to the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchaveragejaneDined on 6/29/2014Quick Sunday brunch before the theater. Very good service. Food was okay.Special Features:
- Seafood - the BestMartinshushuDined on 6/24/2014I lived for many years in New Orleans where there were some truly great seafood of all kinds. The Hungry Cat in Hollywood is a real find in a City that often forgets that it borders an ocean!Special Features:
- Nice little spot in HollywoodRollintheTownDined on 6/24/2014This was my first time at the Hungry Cat and I was not disappointed. From the drinks at the bar while we waited for our table to the appetizer (Oysters on the half shell) to the main course (Maine Lobster). My date and I had a great start to our evening which culminated at the Steve Winwood concert at the Pantages. Our service was excellent. Our waiter provided us with great insight and tips about the menu. We are going to add the Hungry Cat to our list of dining venues in Holloywood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe because it was Sunday night?FlowersDined on 6/22/2014I have eaten at the Hungry Cat at the beach and it was delicious. But the Hollywood restaurant was just okay. Maybe because they have a different chef Sundays?Special Features:
- Salt overdoseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/16/2014Must say very disappointed. Used to enjoy but not this time
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 6/15/2014Had checked out various web reviews before making our reservations for Father's Day brunch. Was disappointed that at least three of the items we had requested were not available and soup was seasonal, offered only once a year during the fall. The Yelp review had a wonderful picture of a fish stew and delicious looking fish & chips, neither were available. Most importantly, the cost for the oysters were outrageous....$36 for a dozen, I don't pay that in Beverly Hills - won't be going back!!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014Food was excellent. Pricey for the amount of food you receive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1MaLeslieVIPDined on 6/14/2014Unusual items on menu but food is good. Try the peeled shrimp. Lobster roll good but lots of fries! Convenient for those going to the Pantages
- Wonderful combination of flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/10/2014Very innovative combination of flavors --halibut cheeks, a special for the day, and grilled salmon. Will definitely eat here again when visiting the PantagesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor foodKyongVIPDined on 6/9/2014I was very disappointed with this restaurant. The Pug burger is too much salt and very difficult for eat. The other food is a very poor for their price. I would not recommend the Hungry cat to anybody. Also parking is not good and their sign is very confused. Overall this is not a restaurant I never, ever go again.
- love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2014great food and great, attentive service. my fiancé has celiac's and our server took this under consideration as we ordered. often you find at restaurants a server is either unfamiliar with food allergies/intolerances or does not take the customer seriously. our server understood and was happy to make suggestions and accommodations.Special Features:
- Hungry Cat HollywoodBellawashere14Dined on 6/8/2014Went twice in one week loved it so much ... Adored the simple but innovative cocktails ... Candied grapefruit rind a treat !Dishes are quite the right size .... Octopus par excellence . The outdoor dining area while not too beautiful is functional and one can talk and be heard .. Theres no high velocity rabble .. Service is personable and professional .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Bowl DinnerRusseatsDined on 6/8/2014Ate here prior to a Hollywood Bowl event. Great service, easy parking. I had the Lobster Roll and was not disappointed. Friends had the Salmon which was wonderful. Drinks could be a little more generous, but I can be a lush, so... Liked this place and would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.