The House of William & Merry
1336 Old Lancaster Pike
Hockessin, DE 19707Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The House of William & Merry
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.williamandmerry.com/
- Phone: 3022342255
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday, Lunch and Dinner: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm; Sunday Dinner: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Hoffman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The House of William & Merry
The House of William and Merry serves contemporary American cuisine prepared from the freshest seasonal ingredients procured from local farms, providing casual fine dining at a reasonable price. Chef-owned by the husband and wife team, Merry Catanuto and William Hoffman, who live on the property, the restaurant is a remodeled farmhouse on the edge of central Hockessin. Dine in a comfortable home atmosphere in one of the two dining rooms, the porch, or the bar. When you arrive, you can see right into the all new, modern kitchen. Full bar service is available including wines by the glass, microbrews on tap, and specialty drinks. Or, take a walk around back to see the herb and vegetable gardens. Tuesday through Saturday we serve lunch and dinner. On Sunday, we serve brunch followed by a prix fix supper in the evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The House of William & Merry - Best Restaurants in Hockessin ›
The House of William & Merry reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)special occasion (65)neighborhood gem (60)romantic (38)great for outdoor dining (24)great for brunch (18)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (13)good for groups (5)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- First Time DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Dined on a Sunday evening and found the (limited) selection to be very good! Price is fair for this special meal (3 course Prix @$35/person). Food is excellent!! Service was very good as well.Special Features:
- Everything is Done Well!Gator75Dined on 9/12/2014This is our special occasion restaurant and never disappoints. Very attentive wait staff and wonderful menu options. Interesting cocktails and good wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!JoanDined on 9/6/2014Every time I am here I am impressed with the flavors, the preparation, the helpful staff, and the entire experience. And each time I come the menu has new and exciting items to try!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014One of our favorite restaurants, either on a date night or with friends, the House of William and Merry continues to deliver high end results every time. From the well thought out bar drinks, to Chef's creative menu, to the outstanding service you recieve from the professional and friendly staff. This is one of our favorites of all time -up there with any restaurant in NY, Phila or anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improved in generalMaddinerDined on 8/29/2014This was our second time here and the food was much better than last. Portion sizes were good and the combination of favors were fresh and exciting. The tasting board and cheese plate were terrific. Our only concern was that there was too much time between courses and the staff, while charming, didn't notice details like missing forks, etc. our reservation noted two birthdays and desserts came with candles.Special Features:
- WowKTnCBwine2dineDined on 8/29/2014Phenomenal food. Wine list with good selection. Introduced to Corvina, cooked to exquisite perfection. One of our best food and restaurant experiences including travels to 6 European countries and more than half of the US states. Quite the unexpected but treasured find in Hockessin, DE! Service was excellent, friendly and knowledgeable. Parking is limited but free valet was appreciated. A must try for the discerning and mature palate. We will be back, soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2014Meats were overcooked but everything else was fine.
- Even Better than We Remembered!ElizabethDined on 8/27/2014We hadn't been to the House of William and Merry for dinner in a long time. (We've been a few times for lunch the last few years and it was great!) Met two friends there on Wednesday night, and it was fabulous from beginning to end! The fois gras was a definite stand-out, but the barely seared tuna was spectacular as well as the corvine my friend got! Delicious!Special Features:
- Too noisy upstairsVisitorsfromGreenvilleVIPDined on 8/26/2014While the food was wonderful, the noise level upstairs, where we were seated, was beyond reasonable as a large party had been seated there. While the manager did stop by to apologize, the damage was done. In this day and age, restaurants will do anything to drive their bottom lines, regardless of the effect it has on other patrons. IF we ever go back, we will insist on being seated downstairs.Special Features:
- Going back soonPickyEaterDined on 8/23/2014Service was outstanding - friendly but not intrusive. The food looked amazing and tasted event better - very creative.Special Features:
- YummyDined on 8/23/2014Delicious meal that was perfectly prepared. Service was friendly and efficient. Portions are hearty. Wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- W&M Outstanding Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Our group of 5 had a 7pm reservation on a Friday. We elected for the 4 course chef tasting menu and were not disappointed. Each course hit the mark. Fresh soft shell crab, fois gras ravioli, roasted duck breast, and desert. The use of the freshest ingredients was evident with the restaurant having a garden on site. Service was excellent with our server Sam having extensive knowledge of the menu. Great dining experience and comes highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 2JoeJDined on 8/22/2014Excellent experience! The food preparation and service was excellent. We had the fish and steak. The steak portion was 3 pieces for tender New York strip. Very flavorful and tender. The fish was moist and paired well with the sauce.Special Features:
- Outstanding DinnerRaymisjrVIPDined on 8/19/2014Our first visit to The House of William and Merry will keep us coming back for more. The food and service was excellent and everyone enjoy the evening. Will be going back again and again.Special Features:
- FoodloverVIPDined on 8/17/2014Dan was so nice and efficient. Pancakes, French toast, and eggs Benedict were fabulous! We will be back.Special Features:
- Great Food for Dinner, ok for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014Took my Mom here for her bday lunch because it was pouring rain and it was close by. The food is exceptional, the place is super clean and lots of ambiance. Lunch was just your average lunch menu, not spectacular but still by no means bad. Just a better dining experience if you are going for dinner - which by the way, always packed so make reservations early. Drinks are yummy too. Dani the bartender is awesome.Special Features:
- Best brunchbrunchlovrDined on 8/10/2014Great options for sweet and savory brunch items. Portions are generous and food is delicious. Dining on the veranda on a sunny day is the perfect brunch atmosphere.Special Features:
- Charming Culinary GemVelomanDined on 8/9/2014This was our 4th visit to The House of William & Merry. From Merry's greeting through the final sip of cupaccino, we were delighted by the breadth and depth of the selections. Daniel was a wonderfully knowledgeable server. My 20 year old son's first time there ended with "the best meal I have ever eaten". We agree that William & Merry have a special touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local foodie restaurantBrookeDined on 8/9/2014The experience was great from beginning to end. Loved the setting, quaint and romantic. Our reservation was just after opening at 5:00 PM so we had the entire upstairs space to ourselves. Service was outstanding, the entirety of the staff was knowledgeable, polite and pleasant. Food was amazing and experiential for someone new to fine dining. Drinks from the bar were excellent, and prices were fair for all of the above. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014Excellent food with excellent service. Olivia was knowledgable, friendly, efficient and very helpful in making decisions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014My husband and I dined here and had a lovely time. Our waiter Dan was attentive but not overbearing. He was very knowledgeable and his recommendations were spot on for both food and wine. I enjoyed the soft shell crab appetizer while my husband had the tuna ceviche. For dinner my husband had the duck breast and I had Hawaiian Opah. This is a lovely spot and this husband and wife time are doing something quite special in Hockessin.Special Features:
- Great service, great foodStowDined on 7/27/2014Our waiter Dan, was extremely helpful with spot on recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great First VisitRobertDined on 7/27/2014My wife and I were delighted with our first visit to the House of William and Merry. The short "Sunday Supper" price fixed menu provided enough options to please. All dishes were artfully presented and a wonderfully tasty. Our server, Dan, was friendly and attentive - a plus that made the evening even more enjoyable. The wine list was varied with many affordable options as well as higher end selections. We thought the price to value ratio for the Sunday Supper experience was exceptional. Can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014We are lucky to have this place in Hockessin. The lamb and scallops were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food was very good. It was in the pricey range and small portions, but not out of range for the flavor and experience. It is a lovely atmosphere and interesting blends of ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly memorable food selectionsgottadanceDined on 7/18/2014...the chef is a true artist! The food is beautifully plated but more importantly, he uses high quality ingredients and cooks them to perfection. He sources local but will obtain sublime filet of beef from a source in Oregon. The seasonal menus reflect availability of the freshest and most seasonal ingredients. A lovely space in a renovated Victorian house. This was our second anniversary celebration at this restaurant and was so memorable the first time, we brought our adult children this year. Absolutely a gem for Delaware dining.Special Features:
- Continues to hit the markDickVIPDined on 7/18/2014This is our fourth or fifth visit and the restaurant continues to provide great food and excellent service.Special Features:
- DeliciousRobinoRealtorDined on 7/15/2014The food and attention to detail in the ingredients was amazing and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just the way I like to enjoy a mealbsoistDined on 7/15/2014Excellent food, a wait staff that is attentive but not overbearing, and no rush to complete your meal. The waiter, when learning I was vegetarian informed me of a special "in the moment" dish they could put together, so I gave it a try. It was fantastic. We sat and **enjoyed** our meal for more than two hours ( and the table behind us had arrived before we had and were still drinking and enjoying themselves when we left ). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.Special Features:
- Always AwesomedindinDined on 7/13/2014We came for brunch- egg stack & poached eggs. Excellent! They always use fresh vegtables & other ingriedients in the preparation of the meals, and we can appreciate the fresh flavors in the meals. Love love love this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverVIPDined on 7/13/2014Dele ions duck sandwich, friendly efficient staff and very comfortable settingSpecial Features:
- dineDE1VIPDined on 7/12/2014Great dinner and able to sit on the porch outside. Great food....chef does some amazing things - if you are looking for city dining but don't want to drive that far...this is the place!Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerJoanDined on 7/12/2014Having traveled throughout Europe on gourmet food trips, I am a foodie and was delighted with what I found to be such an amazing restaurant in Hockessin, DE. The meal I had was definitely in the top five of any meal I have had, be it in Paris, New York City, or Rome. The use of fresh herbs and vegetables as well as the expert sauces and reductions, and the combination if flavors, made for a wonderful dining experience. I recommend this to foodies everywhere.Special Features:
- Great for Special OccasionsRuralrebel82Dined on 7/10/2014Elegant menu and service, with a unique and tasteful entree selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinnerboston1952Dined on 6/29/2014I took my family visiting from out of town for a Sunday dinner to celebrate my sister's birthday. It was my first time at William and Merry but it won't be my last. Matt, the general manager, had called to make sure we knew that the restaurant had a fixed price three course menu on Sunday. A nice customer service touch. When we arrived a little before the restaufrant opened, they let us in so that we didn't have to stand on the porch. Our waiter (Sam, I believe) was friendly and attentive. About the food, everything was spot on. My only small quibble is that for me there were a few too many shaved vegetables on the perfectly prepared fish dujour. And the strawberry panna cotta was heaven on a plate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014We have dinner out a lot and this restaurant was recommended to us. The experience was beyond our expectations. Food was excellent, would recommend the tasting board, our waiter dave was very good and paid attention to all the details. Would definitely go back again!Special Features:
- good food, nice facilityorganicpleaseDined on 6/24/2014Went at lunchtime. Weather was nice, but we chose to sit inside because groundskeepers were working outside. Only one other couple, who were very quiet. The dining area was very nice. Could hear noise from kitchen/bar area very clearly, however. Food was very good. Would have given higher overall rating if it hadn't been so noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RehofoodieDined on 6/20/2014The menu was very innovative! Every dish sounded delicious and it was hard to make a choice. Our meal was fabulous, as well as our service. My husband and I wanted seafood that evening. We definitely will return to The House of William and Merry and highly recommend it to others.Special Features:
- RichPeggyDined on 6/20/2014Grilled ham and cheese was a little too heavy handed with the butterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!TrojanrabbitVIPDined on 6/18/2014The House William & Merry is most definitely a true neighborhood gem. It is in a quaint house in Hockessin Delaware. The food is spectacular from appetizers, to entrees, to desserts. The menu isn't huge but has a nice variety the should fit everyone's tastes. The service is also excellent. One note should you go. The restaurant contains limited seating so reservations are a must. Parking is also limited so you may have to park across the street. Other than that this place is superb. We highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.