The House of William & Merry
1336 Old Lancaster Pike
Hockessin, DE 19707Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The House of William & Merry
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.williamandmerry.com/
- Phone: 3022342255
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday, Lunch and Dinner: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm; Sunday Dinner: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Hoffman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The House of William & Merry
The House of William and Merry serves contemporary American cuisine prepared from the freshest seasonal ingredients procured from local farms, providing casual fine dining at a reasonable price. Chef-owned by the husband and wife team, Merry Catanuto and William Hoffman, who live on the property, the restaurant is a remodeled farmhouse on the edge of central Hockessin. Dine in a comfortable home atmosphere in one of the two dining rooms, the porch, or the bar. When you arrive, you can see right into the all new, modern kitchen. Full bar service is available including wines by the glass, microbrews on tap, and specialty drinks. Or, take a walk around back to see the herb and vegetable gardens. Tuesday through Saturday we serve lunch and dinner. On Sunday, we serve brunch followed by a prix fix supper in the evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The House of William & Merry - Best Restaurants in Hockessin ›
The House of William & Merry reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)special occasion (60)neighborhood gem (56)romantic (33)great for brunch (22)great for outdoor dining (21)great for lunch (14)notable wine list (13)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- SisterDaughterDinnerDined on 10/28/2014Service was prompt and food was delicious. Waiter provided good recommendations.Special Features:
- deliciousde52iaVIPDined on 10/25/2014Food was hot, delicious and unique. Consistent with every visit. Also will alter any dish to meet dietary needs.Special Features:
- a great anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014We had a great meal for our anniversary, from starters to main course - everything was outstanding. The rib eye in particular that was served was one of the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When you go makes a differenceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/24/2014The first time we ate here, it was absolutely amazing. That was on a Wednesday night with the late summer menu. This time, we went back on a Friday night with the autumn menu, and we were not nearly as impressed. The food on the menu was just OK. The service also wasn't as good. The restaurant was a lot busier, and they seemed understaffed to adequately deal with it.
- Birthday LunchdineoutDined on 10/23/2014I made reservations for four well in advance for a birthday lunch for a friend. This was a first visit for all of us. The restaurant appeared to be quite full and we were taken to the second floor to a table closest to the stairway. The room was so noisy that we really couldn't enjoy a conversation. I had heard good things about the food and expected more. Only one of the four of us enjoyed the meal. We decided to go elsewhere for dessert. All in all, I'm sorry to say that we were disappointed.
- Fab foodElyseUUVIPDined on 10/22/2014We had our anniversary dinner here and the service and food was impeccable. The staff went out of their way to make our meal thoroughly enjoyable.Special Features:
- thrilled localafanVIPDined on 10/21/2014it's just short of a miracle that w and m found their home/restaurant so close to ours. this allows us to have become part of their 'family' and we are thrilled. every time we go, and it's probably an average of once every week since they opened, whether we are just having an appetizer and drink or a complete dinner, lunch or brunch, the food has always been equal if not superior to the best meals we have ever experienced. this restaurant should be on everyone's A list if they are going to be anywhere near Hockessin DE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely brunchCM1405Dined on 10/19/2014I had been for dinner and loved it. The brunch was fantastic! It was difficult to choose between several delicious sounding options. I was tempted to get the smoked salmon crepes but finally opted for the eggs Benedict with greens. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialMaddieDined on 10/17/2014I really enjoyed my lunch at the House of William and Merry. The food was delicious and there was plenty of it. My friend and I shared an entree and are glad we did. After also sharing a light dessert, we were both stuffed. If someone wants to experience a quality restaurant, I suggest lunching here. The dinners, although beautifully described and varied, are expensive. This is a farm to table restaurant which I really appreciate. One disappointment...since I am a vegetarian, I would have liked to see another one or two items offered without meat. Thank you for a good experience and kudos to our personable waiter, Dino! One more suggestion: A chalkboard where you can list where the ingredients are from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for lunchtealadyDined on 10/11/2014Food well prepared, fresh, and served attractively. Servings are very large; would prefer smaller portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/8/2014Everything about this restaurant is amazing -- delicious food and drinks, attentive waiters. Unfortunately, it has a very small seating area, so it might not be long before it's tough to get a table here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time aroundBandBDined on 10/4/2014Our third time there. Food is absolutely delicious and the presentation is better than what we have seen in "High End" restaurants. Menu is limited but there is no limit to the flavors. Menu reflects what is "In Season" in the area and in the ocean. Great place to dine with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant,unhappy serverrobertoVIPDined on 9/28/2014This restaurant would have received a five star rating but for the sour attitude of our server. This girl never smiled and it seemed that any request we had was bothersome, perhaps she should not have partied so late the night before. I gave 3 stars for service because the manager and the food runners where wonderful. The food here was top notch and you can tell they used only local ingredients. The décor is pleasantly modern but it being a renovated home felt quite intimate. I will definitely return for brunch and perhaps try dinner, but also hope to get a different server.Special Features:
- Must GoGiagiaVIPDined on 9/28/2014Menu changes to accommodate food in season (last visit, a man walked in delivering a bag of locally picked mushrooms!) Food is top notch, flavorful and always exciting. Service is superb one would expect a place like this in NY or LA not DE. Brunch is a MUST.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly OutstandingDEFoodie2Dined on 9/24/2014We dined at The House of William & Merry recently to celebrate a birthday. The food was outstanding, with imaginative presentation and impeccable taste. The server was friendly and helpful, and the restaurant has a wonderful vibe. It's our favorite for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly fantastic!JoshDined on 9/23/2014I've been to the House of William & Merry a few times now, and each time, I'm impressed by what a fantastic job they do. The service was casual, yet impeccable; no one was snooty, but the waiter was always there when you wanted him and never there when you didn't. He had helpful recommendations when asked, and was friendly without being invasive. As impressed as we were with the service, the food blew us away. The chef is creative, and it works. Lobster, lamb, and manchego fritters is not a combination I would have expected, but they were an amazing blend of flavors. My tuna was described as "pan kissed," and it was as described: barely seared on one side. Perfect, and a but gutsy in Delaware. My wife's pork was also excellent. Impressive!Special Features:
- Delightful surpriseSkiptheguffDined on 9/23/2014Just across the border in Delaware is a delightful little country inn with excellent cocktails, friendly staff, and delightful food. We love it. Food is always fresh and preparations are innovative but not over the top. In good weather, meals and drinks are served on the porch.Special Features:
- Missing the HouseCharmCityEaterVIPDined on 9/16/2014I'm a former Hockessin resident who relocated to Chicago and, besides my family, The House of William & Merry is the thing I miss the most! Bill & Merry are completely passionate about and committed to their customers' experience, from the thoughtful menu to the intimate decor, culminating in the absolutely remarkable food. Whenever I return to Delaware, I will find my way to The House.Special Features:
- First Time DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Dined on a Sunday evening and found the (limited) selection to be very good! Price is fair for this special meal (3 course Prix @$35/person). Food is excellent!! Service was very good as well.Special Features:
- Everything is Done Well!Gator75Dined on 9/12/2014This is our special occasion restaurant and never disappoints. Very attentive wait staff and wonderful menu options. Interesting cocktails and good wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!JoanDined on 9/6/2014Every time I am here I am impressed with the flavors, the preparation, the helpful staff, and the entire experience. And each time I come the menu has new and exciting items to try!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014One of our favorite restaurants, either on a date night or with friends, the House of William and Merry continues to deliver high end results every time. From the well thought out bar drinks, to Chef's creative menu, to the outstanding service you recieve from the professional and friendly staff. This is one of our favorites of all time -up there with any restaurant in NY, Phila or anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improved in generalMaddinerDined on 8/29/2014This was our second time here and the food was much better than last. Portion sizes were good and the combination of favors were fresh and exciting. The tasting board and cheese plate were terrific. Our only concern was that there was too much time between courses and the staff, while charming, didn't notice details like missing forks, etc. our reservation noted two birthdays and desserts came with candles.Special Features:
- WowKTnCBwine2dineDined on 8/29/2014Phenomenal food. Wine list with good selection. Introduced to Corvina, cooked to exquisite perfection. One of our best food and restaurant experiences including travels to 6 European countries and more than half of the US states. Quite the unexpected but treasured find in Hockessin, DE! Service was excellent, friendly and knowledgeable. Parking is limited but free valet was appreciated. A must try for the discerning and mature palate. We will be back, soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2014Meats were overcooked but everything else was fine.
- Even Better than We Remembered!ElizabethDined on 8/27/2014We hadn't been to the House of William and Merry for dinner in a long time. (We've been a few times for lunch the last few years and it was great!) Met two friends there on Wednesday night, and it was fabulous from beginning to end! The fois gras was a definite stand-out, but the barely seared tuna was spectacular as well as the corvine my friend got! Delicious!Special Features:
- Too noisy upstairsVisitorsfromGreenvilleVIPDined on 8/26/2014While the food was wonderful, the noise level upstairs, where we were seated, was beyond reasonable as a large party had been seated there. While the manager did stop by to apologize, the damage was done. In this day and age, restaurants will do anything to drive their bottom lines, regardless of the effect it has on other patrons. IF we ever go back, we will insist on being seated downstairs.Special Features:
- Going back soonPickyEaterDined on 8/23/2014Service was outstanding - friendly but not intrusive. The food looked amazing and tasted event better - very creative.Special Features:
- YummyDined on 8/23/2014Delicious meal that was perfectly prepared. Service was friendly and efficient. Portions are hearty. Wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- W&M Outstanding Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Our group of 5 had a 7pm reservation on a Friday. We elected for the 4 course chef tasting menu and were not disappointed. Each course hit the mark. Fresh soft shell crab, fois gras ravioli, roasted duck breast, and desert. The use of the freshest ingredients was evident with the restaurant having a garden on site. Service was excellent with our server Sam having extensive knowledge of the menu. Great dining experience and comes highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 2JoeJDined on 8/22/2014Excellent experience! The food preparation and service was excellent. We had the fish and steak. The steak portion was 3 pieces for tender New York strip. Very flavorful and tender. The fish was moist and paired well with the sauce.Special Features:
- Outstanding DinnerRaymisjrVIPDined on 8/19/2014Our first visit to The House of William and Merry will keep us coming back for more. The food and service was excellent and everyone enjoy the evening. Will be going back again and again.Special Features:
- FoodloverVIPDined on 8/17/2014Dan was so nice and efficient. Pancakes, French toast, and eggs Benedict were fabulous! We will be back.Special Features:
- Great Food for Dinner, ok for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014Took my Mom here for her bday lunch because it was pouring rain and it was close by. The food is exceptional, the place is super clean and lots of ambiance. Lunch was just your average lunch menu, not spectacular but still by no means bad. Just a better dining experience if you are going for dinner - which by the way, always packed so make reservations early. Drinks are yummy too. Dani the bartender is awesome.Special Features:
- Best brunchbrunchlovrDined on 8/10/2014Great options for sweet and savory brunch items. Portions are generous and food is delicious. Dining on the veranda on a sunny day is the perfect brunch atmosphere.Special Features:
- Charming Culinary GemVelomanDined on 8/9/2014This was our 4th visit to The House of William & Merry. From Merry's greeting through the final sip of cupaccino, we were delighted by the breadth and depth of the selections. Daniel was a wonderfully knowledgeable server. My 20 year old son's first time there ended with "the best meal I have ever eaten". We agree that William & Merry have a special touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local foodie restaurantBrookeDined on 8/9/2014The experience was great from beginning to end. Loved the setting, quaint and romantic. Our reservation was just after opening at 5:00 PM so we had the entire upstairs space to ourselves. Service was outstanding, the entirety of the staff was knowledgeable, polite and pleasant. Food was amazing and experiential for someone new to fine dining. Drinks from the bar were excellent, and prices were fair for all of the above. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014Excellent food with excellent service. Olivia was knowledgable, friendly, efficient and very helpful in making decisions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014My husband and I dined here and had a lovely time. Our waiter Dan was attentive but not overbearing. He was very knowledgeable and his recommendations were spot on for both food and wine. I enjoyed the soft shell crab appetizer while my husband had the tuna ceviche. For dinner my husband had the duck breast and I had Hawaiian Opah. This is a lovely spot and this husband and wife time are doing something quite special in Hockessin.Special Features:
- Great service, great foodStowDined on 7/27/2014Our waiter Dan, was extremely helpful with spot on recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.