The House Brasserie
6936 E Main St
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The House Brasserie
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thehousearizona.com/
- Phone: (480) 634-1600
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Carter
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Goldwater Dr.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have a private parking lot in the front of our, restaurant with access from Main St.but space is extremely limited. Additional street parking is available on Main street. Please be aware of surrounding lot's restrictions.
A word from The House Brasserie
The House Brasserie evokes a bygone era, a time when service and hospitality mattered most in the dining experience. Tucked away in a shaded corner Old Town Scottsdale, The House is also a place of culinary artistry. Chef Matt Carter combines worldly flavors and techniques to create an elegant and cozy menu with homespun style. Set beautifully in the Scottsdale's second-oldest home, The House is a vintage chic space where you can expect nothing but highest quality food, hand-pressed cocktails and eclectic wine & beer lists. Come join us at our House.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The House Brasserie - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
The House Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)great for outdoor dining (51)romantic (45)neighborhood gem (44)special occasion (42)notable wine list (22)good for groups (16)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Special AnniversaryDerekDined on 11/21/2014We went to The House for our anniversary and they really went out of their way to make it special for us. The food was excellent, the service was great, and the atmosphere was perfect. I'd definitely come back for more...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional gem in old ScottsdaleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I called ahead, made a reservation and noted that it was a first date. The service, the attention to detail, the food, and the ambiance all were exceptional. The wait staff including the manager paid special attention to our table despite being very busy and inquired as to how the evening was going. I work in the restaurant industry, eat out often, and this was perhaps one of the best restaurant experiences I've had in years. The food was exceptional!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceEilishVIPDined on 11/14/2014We ate here on a Friday night after reading reviews in open table but not having heard of it otherwise. The restaurant is in a cute bungalow, with dining spaces throughout, including on a partially covered patio. It is at once a fun and casually elegant setting. Staff are friendly and helpful but not obsequious, and the menu was inventive and fresh but not odd. And the food was great (!) - lovingly prepared from quality ingredients. My husband had a chicken dish he described as what Chechen is supposed to be like but which is quite hard to find, and I had a creative and TASTY tofu dish. We couldn't stay for dessert but are hoping to return soon to try they and other entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best outdoor dining in Scottsdale!khazVIPDined on 11/9/2014Loved the ambiance and history of this house turned restaurant. The service was excellent, and the cuisine delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic eveningAntonVIPDined on 11/8/2014Especially during the fall, winter, spring season, dining outside at this restaurant is fabulous. Very, very romantic. Always great food and fantastic service. Highly recommended. This is one of our fav spots in Scottsdale.Special Features:
- XTC4RDined on 11/7/2014This was our 4 visit to the House each time we enjoyed the experience with a different couple. As always it was GREATSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food; great servicemefairgolfVIPDined on 11/4/2014The food was great; fresh ingredients; great wine list; beautiful outdoor space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoriteSpicyDined on 11/2/2014The feel is so inviting from the sidewalk in. The staff is professional and yet friendly. Our waiter, "Par" was the epitome of what a waiter should be. engaging, charming, knowledgeable of the entire menu and wine pairings and attentive but now smothering. Matt Carter's food is unique as always. This is our new favorite and recommend it as a place for most special occasions or a quiet, intimate experience.Special Features:
- BulldogVIPDined on 11/2/2014We ate at The House Brasserie last winter two weeks in a row we liked it so much. This time, we were disappointed. We dined on a small side patio where the conversation at the next table was fairly loud, assisted by the waiter who seemed intent on getting everyone excited about the menu choices. We also felt that he was a bit over the top with us with his exuberance, for example, repeating to us the ingredients of the dishes we ordered, which we had just read on the menu ourselves. He followed a tradition we don't like of not writing down our orders and of course got one wrong - high risk, no reward, in my opinion. Our main courses were only warm on arrival, so all in all, not nearly as good an experience as last year's. Too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!HondoDined on 11/1/2014Four of us celebrated notable birthdays on Nov. 1, our first time dining at "the House". This restaurant is fantastic and offers a delicious, creative menu. Great bar, with cozy interior and relaxing outdoor dining. Wonderful staff, perfect for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoy this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014This is my second time at "The House", and after reading some of the recent review I wasn't sure what to expect. There were 3 of us that dined, and we all enjoyed our evening. The Scallops were excellent. I had the braised short ribs...they were not the best I have had...next time I will order something different. That said I still think this is a very nice restaurant worth frequenting. I will say the quality of the food was better on my first visit, but not ready to count this spot out of the game :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice setting but food disappointingEttieVIPDined on 10/25/20145 of us dined here for a double birthday celebration. salmon ridiculously salty, the 3 scallops with little accompaniment overpriced, side of fries with celery salt had no special taste, in fact not one of us thought we had had a nice meal. The environment is lovely and that's about it.
- Minor mistakes but a great mealScottsdaleDinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014Booked a surprise birthday party for my wife. Restaurant called to confirm the afternoon of the party. Guests told hostess they were there for surprise party. We get there and the hostess tells us that the rest of our party is already seated... OOPS! So much for the surprise... Served complimentary champagne. Nice touch. Skip the appetizers. We tried 5 of them. Duck confit meatballs were hard. Chicken soup was bland. Udon noodles were meh. Goat cheese plate tasted no different than a log from your grocery store. Beef tartare was good though. The entrees were fan-freaking-tastic. Ribeye was cooked perfectly. Smoked veal was delicious. Lamb ragout was as good as I have ever tasted. Our waiter was awesome. Knowledgeable and attentiveSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014Went for a birthday lunch with the girls and returned the next week for a dinner with friends of ours. What a great place! Everyone loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeFoodieKimDined on 10/24/2014House Brasserie has quickly become one of my staples. Whether you're celebrating a special occasion or just a casual evening out. The service is wonderful, especially Tommy. The food is different and delicious. I look forward to going back again and again.Special Features:
- Great place, great foodWannabefoodieDined on 10/21/2014Location was great, food was even better. It was hands down the best meal we had while in Scottsdale. The ribeye was fantastic. The fois gras was awesome, and the salads were unique and tasty. I will make sure to come back the next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor diningAntonVIPDined on 10/14/2014You don't have a lot of fun outdoor dining options in Scottsdale. 9 out of 10 times you end up staring at a parking lot. This restaurant has a beautiful outdoor setting that makes you feel you are in the romantic backyard of a quaint neighborhood. Between Oct and May this is a great outdoor dining spot in AZ. The indoor restaurant is really nice and cozy as well, so it's a good spot year round. The food is inventive and high quality. Service was terrific! Highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Not greatalp1VIPDined on 9/28/2014Our food- salmon and filet was over salted. Appetizers of salad and foie gras were good. Might come back for a casual lunch but not dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steveDined on 9/27/2014This nice little restaurant is right in the middle of downtown Scottsdale and was busy when we got there on saturday evening. Parking is on the street and hard to come by. We went there during restaurant week and the food was very good. The appetizer, pork belly and simple salad, are tasty. The entrees are to die for. The seared scallops and veal chops are a bit small but exquisite. The dessert, chocolate mousse and mochi are excellent. In all, the experience at this restaurant was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Awesome As I'd Hoped!MagsDined on 9/26/2014I had heard tons of things about The House and was so excited to finally try the food-- during Arizona Restaurant week, no less. The service was as awesome as the food and the ambience is exactly the amount of character and class as I would've imagined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recent dining experienceLexieTDDined on 9/26/2014Dined at House three times, within the past 10 months. On 9/26 we unpleasantly surprised by the changes. My initial comment to our wait person was that the menu had changed. Her response was that "we are trying to be more like Zinc Bistro". Wrong answer! Separate drink menu no longer presented and now included on a laminated menu, only missing photos of the starters or entrees a la Denny's. I would not have ordered either the ahi tuna app or the duck meatballs with foie gras if pictured. Portions were beyond small. The vacant tables at prime time during restaurant weekend belied the fact that the wait person indicated that Matt Carter spends little time here. Salads over dressed, entrees barely memorable. Dessert skipped & boring.
- lovely eveningyayaDined on 9/25/2014Two friends and I were thrilled with our evening at the House Brasserie...great everything! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantPAFan99Dined on 9/20/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here and loved it. The food was excellent and so was the service. We look forward to coming again. Both of us had the steak filet - and it was probably the best steak either of us has ever had. Next time I come in I'm looking forward to trying their Streak Tartare :-)Special Features:
- Return trip, not a charmexServerNowFoodieVIPDined on 9/19/2014After making reservations, when we arrived they trIed to seat us outside, mind you it was over 100 degrees. It was a romantic dinner for two & we ended up in the bar at a pub table with the staff trying to act as if this was a normal 2 top. With no place settings, the bar TV blasting the baseball game, and people talking loudly (after all it was a bar). While the server was nice, she didn't even attempt to try to make up for the atmosphere. We asked for a bread basket (food was taking forever) the bread came loaded with butter (so we didn't eat it, 2 more pieces came on my hubby's plate also loaded with butter) & when the bill arrived she charged us $4 for it. No 'deal' for restaurant week either, we ordered off the regular menu.
- Female bindind spotLocalfoodieVIPDined on 9/19/2014Strangely enough we selected this restaurant for its comfortable seating. My 9 mo pregnant friend need a cushy chair. This my third visit here and knew it would have good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice weekend Lunch13platesVIPDined on 9/14/2014Krista served us inside at a table near the window. We had a delicious skirt steak and simple salad. We shared the licorice porkbelly, a treat. When unsure which wine to choose, Krista offers tastings of recommendations. A delightful meal with a pleasant atmosphere and nice people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- herbodocVIPDined on 8/30/2014avery charming early Scottsdale restoration.Very enthusiastic servers. We felt that it was quite pricey...$36 for a pice of grilled salmon is a bit excessive but probably in line with Carters other highly priced venues and some of the other trendy places in Scottsdale.I had a gift for dinner so it wasn't too painful, however I doubt if I would go back on my own tab!Special Features:
- Not worth the cost.ChuzifoodVIPDined on 8/29/2014The restaurant was practically empty when we arrived, so having the waitress seat us next to the back door was a bad sign from the start. Upon requesting an alternative table, we were placed within inches of one of the 3 couples already seated. I asked the hostess if it was necessary to sit on top of other people while the restaurant was empty. "Would you like to return to the original table?" she asked. No. The food had issues, also. The pork belly was over cooked and rubbery. $26 for some noodles with the faint hint of lamb is not my idea of fine dining. All in all, the meal lacked depth, balance, and modesty. The manager was very quick to expound on the virtues of their chef, but the fact of the matter is we cook better food at home.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014Hidden gem, we had an outstanding experience. Food was superb and service was excellent. Sitting outside was the best.Special Features:
- best meal so far in 2014CMF123VIPDined on 8/21/2014Used yelp to find a business dinner restaurant and found this awesome place. My business colleague booked a dinner with his wife before we left our dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Special OccasionfoodnfriendsDined on 8/18/2014We celebrated in style with great food and ambiance. We couldn't have felt more welcome there.Special Features:
- Impeccable Service, Great FoodPhoenixRisingVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our server, Lindsay, kicked off our wonderful experience at the House Brasserie. She not only knew the menu, but she was able to provide details that made you aware that she not only knows the menu but has tried probably everything as well. The food and drinks were great, and the highlights were definitely the broccoli (A recommendation from Lindsay), and also the side of corn that came with the beef filet that i ordered. A nice touch were the additional samples prepared by the Chef that made it to our table to help provide a personal touch. Definitely a place to bring someone on a special occasion or when you're just feeling like treating yourself. Try to go when it's cooler to get a seat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed it...tkazDined on 8/16/2014I left this place missing something without knowing what it was. The place is adorable & would be great to sit outside when the weather is cooler. The outside is unassuming, the inside is rockstar cool. Everyone wears black - I wore black - I was scared someone might mistake me for waitstaff. They sat us near children (what??), children who were on iPads the whole time. I left my kids home and no one brings an iPad to a nice dinner out! Ok, back to the food. Our waitress recommended a great wine but could not articulate why. The food was actually very nicely prepared and very tasty but again....we were left wanting. And I don't know what it is so I'm going with ambiance. The din was a little hard to take. Dessert -WOW! It was WONDERFUL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/4/2014I have been to House Brasserie three times and each visit has been an absolute treat. The menu is interesting and the food is always delicious and beautifully presented. The hardest part is deciding which wonderful thing to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern brasserie (heavy food)Joe3Dined on 7/28/2014Modern American food mixed with French classics: very tasty, but very very heavy. Everything is made with cream, bacon, butter, foie gras, etc. etc. Cocktail was superb; wine list is very good, also by the glass. Service is technically correct, but very overbearing ("This is so delicious/the cook is absolutely amazing/that is my favorite dish in the world") and more lines like that: shouldn't the patrons be the judges of that? The room is very beautifully done; so recommended, but do not count the calories or go onto the scales the next day...Special Features:
- The following 82 reviews are from the The House Brasserie reviews archive.
- Terrible foodGigiDined on 7/18/2014Waste of money terrible terrible food dry salty also took 45 minutes for the entree. Will not go back or recommend this place.
- service issuesMissitVIPDined on 6/29/2014Our service was far more pretentious than she needed to be. It's one thing to carry yourself with class and another to be outright rude. This is the second time in a row I have been here with a bad experience. Funny part, manager said come back and "I'll take care of you" and I told him... I don't care.. just want to enjoy your food and have a good time. Sorry guys. Strike two. She should NOT be a server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find!threedogkitchenVIPDined on 6/21/2014We took a towncar from the airport to Hotel Valley Ho and our driver was full of great tips. He told us about House Brasserie and I'm so glad he did. We had some of the most fabulous bites and it may have been one of the best meals during our stay in Scottsdale. It's just a block away from the hotel with a gorgeous outdoor patio. We had pork belly and watermelon bites, this perfect crostini with ricotta and radishes, delicious grits, and a fried chicken dish that we gobbled down. I would go back to Scottsdale just to revisit them, and maybe some of their sister restaurants.Special Features:
- SplendidfooddivaDined on 6/14/2014Lovely atmosphere. Though the menu is small, the food was suburb. The scallops were cooked just write and the dessert was scrumptious.Special Features:
- Dinner for 4KellyCrewDined on 6/14/2014We opted to eat outside on June 14th and it was very pleasant due to the large chillers that are set up during the summer months. Our server was fantastic and navigated us with ease through the menu that was in the midst of a change. We ordered the ricotta with roasted radishes to start which was great. The salads I've sampled are fine, but don't leave me wanting to order them again. The scallops, jidori chicken, and salmon for entrees were good and enjoyed by all of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.