124 Tichenor Ave
Auburn, AL 36830Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thehound-auburn.com/
- Phone: 3342463300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: William Walker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from The Hound
The Hound is a family owned restaurant and bar featuring over-the-top American classics, top shelf bourbon, and 28 craft beers on tap. Our atmosphere was designed to be warm and welcoming- think hunting lodge, antler-pronged barn setting with the hustle and bustle of old time Alabama. We source locally and regionally and harvest from the Hound family farm in Lafayette, AL when possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Hound - Best Restaurants in Auburn ›
The Hound reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (14)great for brunch (14)fit for foodies (12)hot spot (11)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (8)special occasion (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)romantic (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Awesome place...Really enjoy it every time. love the pepper jelly.... can't wait to come back and enjoy a really awesome meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunchberad38Dined on 8/9/2014Every time we have guests in town, The Hound is the first place we want to take them! Their food is definitely outstanding, especially their brunch. The granola french toast isSpecial Features:
- Dinner reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014The Hound is a fabulous restaurant for Auburn. I also enjoy eating there when I visit my daughter in school there.Special Features:
- Great Place to meetSundayDinerDined on 8/3/2014The Restaurant Staff is very friendly and efficient. They server was helpful and provided answers and suggestions. Service time was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at The HoundAnonDined on 8/2/2014We had lunch with a group after graduation. They have long tables with benches for seating so we had plenty of room. The food was delicious and everyone had a great time. It's a casual atmosphere with great food.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it so much went twice!Dragonmom6Dined on 8/1/2014We were in town for graduation , we had reservations for Friday night and had a lovely time. We went somewhere else Saturday but the wait was too long so we all decided to come back to the Hound. The cat's meow was a memorable drink! . The drunken chicken and lamb meatballs were big hits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of Auburnlrt713Dined on 7/13/2014Bacon, bourbon, and beer. That's all the needs to be said. The Hound is the hands down the best restaurant in Auburn. We've done Acre, Hamilton's, Amsterdam and Maestro, but The Hound always keeps us coming back for more. The food is fresh and delicious -- and plentiful. The service is outstanding; even at the busy bar. Whenever we have out of town guests, this is our go-to spot. There's often a wait, so we've just started using OpenTable to make sure we get in quickly -- especially if there is a big group of us. Reservation or not, The Hound is worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Hound is terrific!sitzer123Dined on 7/10/2014The bacon wrapped dates and scottish egg were great appetizers. The pork chop was amazing...flavorful, tender, and worth it. Watermelon salad was also excellent. This is definitely a place to go when in Auburn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Companion for LifeMeandMyBrideVIPDined on 6/13/2014Stumbled onto this restaurant online and noticed it had higher ratings than a fave spot of ours nearby. We'd best describe this as a dive bar restaurant with over-the-top food. Our server was a delight. The menu is uncommon wild game dishes and unique twists on favorite dishes. Our food was all perfectly prepared. They have a nice draft beer selection, over 100 bourbons, and some wonderful bourbon mixed drinks. We consider ourselves connoisseurs of bread pudding, and theirs is top notch. Like a Hound, this place is not much to look at, but will be a companion for life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 30 reviews are from the The Hound reviews archive.
- Fabulous - Just FabulousBarbDined on 5/27/2014w We have been to The Hound several times since our first visit. Every time has been as wonderful as the first visit. We would and have highly recommended this restaurant. We have had everything from the snapper to the hamburgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would like to try againLADFDined on 5/11/2014I did enjoy The Hound. I decided to order something "different and unusual" and I only ate half of it. But the half I ate was good. Others at my table ordered more "normal" items and they were very good. The pimento cheese was excellent. As was the bloody mary.Special Features:
- Good for Brunch, Not DinnerFoodieDined on 5/11/2014The food here is awesome and unique, but can be really really greasy. I don't mind grease in my brunch, but their dinner is too greasy.Special Features:
- love this placeaubsgkDined on 5/10/2014I am so glad this place is downtown. The only problem is parking. Since Auburn is a small town, the growth of the community is not given a proper amount of available parking. If I can't find a spot, I usually settle with going somewhere else.Special Features:
- Great College HangMalecoDined on 5/9/2014Loved the ambience, quiet since school is out; however, it is a fabulous place to be...It's a PUB for the cool.Special Features:
- GreatmjmooreDined on 5/3/2014Every time I've been to the Hound I have had amazing service and amazing food. Their specials are always perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Down-home funkayveeVIPDined on 5/3/2014We had a delightful family dinner following my son's graduation. Not fancy -- but perfect for the occasion. Pork rinds were fantastic, as was the sausage sampler. We all enjoyed our entrees, and also the great beer selection. I hope we have opportunity to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation Celebrationhappy2eatDined on 5/3/2014We dined at The Hound to celebrate our son's graduation from Auburn University on May 3, 2014. Although we had reservations we still had to wait about 25 minutes to be seated. This however was not an issue as the hostess staff did a fabulous job of keeping us informed! There were 11 people in our party and ALL thoroughly enjoyed our meal!! The food was delicious (Drunk Chicken and Big Fat Steak) and wait staff attentive, despite being extremely busy! The Hound was a fun, lively place to celebrate such an occasion!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Best bloody mary ever! Also, the brunch menu is fantastic. Be sure to make reservations on a busy weekend.Special Features:
- The hungry HoundETfoodyDined on 5/2/2014Great Place!! Ashley, our waitress was GREAT!!! The Pork chop was the best one I have ever eaten, the sauce really complimented it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favsMhmmDined on 5/2/2014One of my favorite restaurants in auburn. Love the openness and the lighting also the food is incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Auburn HoundFrequentDinerDined on 4/30/2014Great college town Hot Spot!!! Great food and fun atmosphere! 90% college kids. We enjoyedSpecial Features:
- Great casual spotsthrngrlnycVIPDined on 4/26/2014Had brunch here this past weekend - everything was top notch. The food - the granola french toast which was amazing, the Redneck Benedict was perfect and the special fried chicken and waffles was also just as advertised. And how can you beat $1 mimosas?? Service was friendly and helpful. Would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Go to spot in Auburn for brunchJustDanaeDined on 4/20/2014Our table of five dined on one of the busiest brunch holidays of the year... Easter. Service was efficient and prompt. Brunch menu is broad with traditional breakfast options and plenty of unique items for the foodie. Granola French Toast with fruit was sweet and crisp. Juevos Houndcherous has just the right kick and eggs were prepared fluffy and light. Biscuits and gravy... Yum. Bloody Mary's are served with an array of pickled goodness. The atmosphere is casual and cool with a youthful vibe. A good experience! We will return to the Hound for cocktails, the craft beer selection and dinner on future visits to the lovely village of Auburn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- huntsvillegirlDined on 4/20/2014Everything was delicious! Great Easter brunch with our family! Everyone ordered something different, and all loved their food. All items were very fresh, especially the salads and fruit. I'm getting a little hungry just thinking about it!! Service was timely and friendly, and very knowledgeable about the menu. Looking forward to next time :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Place!VHermesDined on 4/20/2014Food was outstanding and the serving staff seemed very happy and genuine!Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2014The inventive menu has a great variety of starters, salads, sandwiches, and entrees. We particularly liked the stuffed dates, beet salad, and turkey avocado sandwich. The fries are a bit on the greasy side. Choose the salad as your side option instead. The burgers are very popular here also. There are dessert options. if you still have room! The timing was way off with the service of our courses, and there were other tables compalaining a bit, but it was a busy night. Gotta say that I loved the vibe of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aday Fun with FriendsHounddogFansDined on 4/19/2014Having the reservation turned out very well for us. Our numbers kept changing so it made me a nervous wreck before hand worrying about getting everyone there on time. But, it turned out great. I did call ahead to change the number (from 6 to 10+highchair) and that was arranged without a problem. The staff was also very understanding about the parking delays (ADay). Nicki was a GREAT server and the food was outstanding - as always. (The Gem salad is definitely a GEM!) We had a great visit together in a wonderful environment. Thanks for being there! Deedie and DougSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Honor's CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014My boyfriend's parents were in town for the Honor's Gala, so we knew to take them to the Hound since it is one of our favorite restaurants in town. We were greeted by Anna and her team. Anna is always very nice and hardworking. I can tell that she cares a lot about what she does. Our service was great and the food was very good as usual. It was a busy night, but the staff remained calm and collected. Our server treated us like we were the only ones in the restaurant. She was also very knowledgeable about all of the menu items which came in use for those in our group that had never been there before. Great experience, will be back!Special Features:
- DelishaubsgkDined on 4/17/2014I always have a wonderful time here. It is a great place for drinks, for snacks, & for full out meals. Cheers to The Hound!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for a college townWENDYVIPDined on 4/13/2014This was our second visit here. I am glad to find them on Open Table. This place is very unique on their menu. I had pork belly sliders - awesome. Pimento cheese and crackers - awesome. Pork rinds - awesome. To finish off the meal their homemade bread pudding was the best I have ever had. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch in townpghdineDined on 4/6/2014I had been living in Auburn for more than a year but it was only when my kids visited and checked Yelp for the best restaurant that I discovered the Hound. I've been back since a number of times and found the food, service and ambiance consistently wonderful. But my very favorite time to go there is for brunch on Sunday. Great menu and great experience. Even though they do bill themselves as a bacon place, there are good veggie options. But do make a reservation on OpenTable or there can be a long wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique atmosphere and great steakbogeymanDined on 4/5/2014A couple of us were stopping through Auburn on a golf trip and looking for a layed back place to get a good steak. Our hotel referred us to The Hound and we're thankful she did. The restaurant is in a somewhat hidden spot unless you are a local. We had the steak and thought it was tender, juicy, and delicious!!! The price seemed pretty reasonable as well, especially given the quality... great steak & 2 sides for under $30. Definitely would visit again if ever in Auburn.Special Features:
- AmazingArmanDined on 3/30/2014Love everything about this place. Brunch is absolutely fantastic. But lunch & dinner menus are equally as awesome. Highly recommend all of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night Supper at The HoundBamaTomDined on 3/29/2014My daughter is a student at Auburn. Her sorority was having a parents weekend and she wanted to go to The Hound for dinner prior to the Saturday night parents weekend party. She had been there a few times before and really enjoyed it. I went to their website at about 5:45 PM and was pleasantly surprised to see that they were now taking limited reservations. I clicked on a reservation for 3 at 6:30 PM and received a confirmation immediately. We arrived at the restaurant at 6:25 PM. The place was packed. There were several parties waiting to be seated. We were seated at exactly 6:30 PM. The food was very good and the service was excellent. We'll probably visit The Hound again the next time we're in Auburn. Tom Lawson Huntsville, ALSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchCJS60VIPDined on 3/29/2014Our group of 6 ate there for the first time on March 29. The food was very good, service excellent....I would definitely recommend The Hound and return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a meaty-treat.funleyDined on 3/28/2014What these guys do with pork is amazing. Don't overlook their Shrimp and Grits at brunch. Scotch eggs should be a thing on everyone's menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Brunch or LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014Number one place for lunch or brunch when visiting Auburn. We visited Auburn during Spring Break when it appeared that everyone in town, students and locals alike, had evacuated town. Despite that, folks were lined up in front of The Hound, waiting for the doors to open at 11:00 am. That speaks volumes about its popularity. The food is outstanding. The service is impeccable. The ambience is rustic chic and very inviting and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!Cck415Dined on 3/1/2014We had a wonderful time here. The food was great! The service was great! It was just what we were looking for! All 5 of us got something different and everything was delicious. Would definitely recommend and will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good decorMikeTangoDined on 2/28/2014We had a group of five, and made reservations. They put two tables together for us. Had the pork skins and sausage sampler platter as appetizers, both highly recommended. I had the bison burger, very good, others had the skirt steak, vegetarian lasagna, and cheeseburger. Everyone enjoyed their meals. The noise level can get a bit high so, if you are a sensitive diner, go early. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.