The Hollow Bar & Kitchen
79 N Pearl Street
Albany, NY 12207Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Hollow Bar & Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thehollowalbany.com/
- Phone: (518) 462-9033
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Late Night, Wine
A word from The Hollow Bar & Kitchen
The Hollow Bar & Kitchen offers not only great food but also live music in Albany.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Hollow Bar & Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Albany ›
The Hollow Bar & Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (17)vibrant bar scene (15)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (10)late-night find (9)great for lunch (6)romantic (6)hot spot (5)special occasion (4)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- The music trumps the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014As a music venue, awesome. We saw St. Lucia there, with Vacationer opening for them--both bands killed it, but what really took it to the next level was the intimate setting. We grabbed dinner before the show, and the house salad and sweet potato fries were quite tasty, but the entrees (the mahi mahi and the chicken marsala) were rather lackluster. My sense is that bar food is their specialty, so in the future I would stick to that. The mason jar cocktails are a safe bet too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh....AnnaMDined on 11/14/2014It always puts me off when I am sat and ignored. We were there for 10 minutes before we were given water, and 20 before a beverage order was taken. Seriously? Getthe liquor order when you drop the water.... There were 3 tables seated in the section when we got there, so it was not slammed. It is worse when you see restuarant staff milling about, and you have nothing (bought) on your table, yet no one is looking at you and seeing the empty table. That is poor training. They lost at least 1 round by not being on the ball with that. Ordered a Margarita, got Tequila and OJ. Not a splash of OJ, more like a splash of tequila. Food? Apps came with dinner...no thanks. Saving grace was they were comped, but I still did not eat it. Turkey bacon, and veggie bacon, but no bacon bacon for my burger. Why bother? Had to order a bun-less burger because there was not one single gluten-free item on the otherwise pretentiously foodie/urban menu. Asked for no bun, got the bun anyway. Repeat, it was early, and not busy, maybe 1/2 full at the time. It's a very interesting space, but they need to hire wait staff, not just cuties in short skirts and tight pants.....
- good food, too noisyMaritaDined on 10/31/2014The food was very good, the service fine, but it was a tad too noisy for conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and FriendlygoodtimesDined on 10/30/2014It was a great night went to see the band Twiddle and had Dinner before hand. Dinner was GREAT and service could have been faster but that was not a major factor, great atmosphere, great beer, and great fooooooood! Had a lot of fun and would do it again!Special Features:
- Hollow RocksVancemanDined on 10/23/2014Some of the best food I have had in a while. And, the prices are very low for the quality of the food. I started with a bowl of Pasta Fagiole...wow. It was simply delicious...but it could have been a tad warmer. I then had the strip steak...for $22...it was a steal! It was cooked perfectly...and the pesto gnocchi side dish was fantastic. My wife had the Fried and Roasted Eggplant Stack...it was amazing...and more than enough food to feed an army!! I WILL go there every time I am in town.Special Features:
- Second visit as good as the firstDanandLindaDined on 10/18/2014We have been to The Hollow twice now in the past month. The first time as a couple, the second time we invited friends. The chicken marsala was delicious as was the steak with pesto. The steak was recommended by the guests at the table next to us and did not disappoint. Dessert was fabulous; we shared the apple cider doughnut bread pudding and it was the hit of the night.Special Features:
- Veggie-friendlytreehuggerDined on 9/27/2014We went to The Hollow because we had tickets for Capital Rep and this restaurant was close by. My husband and I were pleasantly surprised to see how many vegetarian options were offered. Usually there are very few options unless the restaurant is totally dedicated to vegetarian cuisine. Nice atmosphere and great view of downtown Albany. A treasure; can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Good Pre Show dinnernyracballerVIPDined on 9/27/2014Went to The Hollow before a show at the Times Union Center. Food was solid...drinks were tasty and prices were reasonable. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous find!apmomDined on 9/11/2014Our dinner was delicious, server VERY attentive (but not pushy). We arrived at 5:45 to have dinner prior to the Sly concert schedule for 7. The concert didn't start until after 8, but they were in no hurry to push us out of our table. As the parent of a 17 y.o., I really love that she & her friends can see high quality concerts in a safe club atmosphere. We attended the Brood concert as well - The Hollow is an Albany Treasure & we'll be back (already have tickets for St. Lucia on 11/15).Special Features:
- Warm and GenerouswaitronDined on 9/6/2014It was a lovely meal at the Hollow as on previous occasions. Staff was warm and attentive without being obtrusive. There are many menu options; fish, meat, meatless for different tastes/ diet preferences. Portions are generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Henry is da bombDelmartian66Dined on 9/3/2014We have come here twice and loved it both times. The eggplant stack is crazy good even if you think you don't like eggplant. The signature gnocchi is incredible, as is the surf and turf burger. The beer list is great, and they have great happy hour specials that run til 7 on week nights. Our server, whose name I sadly forget, was very helpful in choosing our beer and wine flight selections. A real gem on North Pearl.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014After being seated we waited 30 minutes for a server and we had to get up to find one. While waiting for a waiter to come to our table one of us went to the bar to get drinks and experienced the same lack of service; not able to place an order due to one bartender. One meal was wrong; the other was undercooked. The appetizer came out and we had no plates or napkins; we had to wait 10 minutes for a glass of water. The wait staff was apologetic and did not charge us for the meals. We witnessed 3 tables of people walk out because they had no waiter. It was by far the worst service we had ever experienced and we will never go back.
- GREAT FOOD AND SERVICE!SharonaDined on 8/7/2014This was my second time dining at the Hollows and both times it was a great experience..... The food is fresh and delicious and I absolutely love there Signature Jar Drinks (the Downtown Mojito is my fave). I really love the different selection of foods they have on the menu; great place if you want to steer away from ordinary pub fare. Awesome service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbyVIPDined on 7/31/2014The seating area at The Hollow can be a bit noisy because of the popularity of the bar, but don't let that keep you way. The menu is daring in its simplicity, from appetizers and sandwiches, to soups and salads, and of the nicely-constructed entrees. All are fresh and delicious. Try the chili over potato, or the tilapia sandwich, or the mahi plate. Abi with the oh-so-cool eyeglasses was our server. Her soft voice and frequent but unobtrusive stops at our table made for a very pleasant dining experience. Chef Henry Ciccone came out of the kitchen to ask how we enjoyed our meals. He even thanked my wife for ordering one of the specials, in this case pasta with shrimp. We continue to like the funky atmosphere and the menu. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the Hollow BarladwilDined on 7/26/2014The Hollow is a fun, friendly restaurant with two bars. One is within the main restaurant and the other is in an attached space where bands perform. We were greeted by a very friendly hostess who accomodated the seating request I had made. Our server and runners were all very attentive and friendly. We greatly enjoyed the atmosphere and the vitality of the place. The food was very good. I had the eggplant stack which consisted of delicious roasted eggplant, sauce and cheese stacked with asparagus. I must say that although the eggplant was delicious, including about a half pound of asparagus really overwhelmed the dish. A mixture of seasonal vegetables as described on the menu would have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!KristenSDined on 7/25/2014This is my second time at this place and the food is absolutely delicious! The first time here I ordered the gnocchi, this time i ordered the Marsala with chicken, both times I've cleaned my plate! The menu has an awesome variety of meals. Their special jar drinks are very tasty, plus i love craft beer and they have a great variety of craft beer on tap. What i do appreciate is that there is a section on the menu that recommends what kind of wine and beer would go with each meal. Both times I've been here the chef comes out of the kitchen and asks how the meal was, he seems like a really nice person and you can tell her cares a lot about the quality of his food, and boy does it show! I will definitely be dining here again and again.Special Features:
- The following 35 reviews are from the The Hollow Bar & Kitchen reviews archive.
- Fun & EnergeticapmomDined on 7/9/2014We had dinner before attending Broods concert. Fantastic! I had the blackened tilapia w/homemade slaw - generous portion & delicious. Tablemates had the house burger, quesadilla, and the mozzarella sticks. We were all very happy. Attentive waitress. Nice intimate concert venue - I've signed up for concert updates. It was fantastic for my 17 y.o. daughter & friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food10005GalVIPDined on 7/5/2014We ate here and had a delicious meal - they had a yellowfin tuna special that evening that was delicious. Plus, they had a kids menu, which worked great for our younger diners. The decor is really cute and inviting. The downside was that while our waitress was very nice, food service was slow. They were very apologetic and made an effort to give us an update when asked. We made a reservation for 5:45 because we were going to a show up the street at 8:00 and I am glad we did because had we booked it any later, it would have been a little stressful. Overall, I would recommend and would dine there again.Special Features:
- Terrific food, lots of cool choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/4/2014Found it on OpenTable while passing through Albany and told our local friends to go. Attentive and welcomng waitstaff, great food (yes, chef does come out to see how you liked his cooking!) and the view from the picture window across to historic Kenmore Building was a bonus.Special Features:
- i'd returnnicknameDined on 6/20/2014The menu had something for everyone. The draft beer selection was better than most. The bar was quite busy, so its not a quiet place. The bartenders were attentive. The hostess was very helpful. The only knock on the place I can give was our waitress. If you flagged her down, she was fine. If you didn't, you'd never see her. Not once did she ever glance our way - at one point I debated getting up and getting her. Other than that, I liked the place quite a bit. And I'd return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lucky "second choice"BrewerpaulDined on 6/20/2014We recently tried to make reservations at The Merry Monk before a concert at The Palace only to find that they were booked solid. I asked the person who answered the phone if he had any alternate suggestions and he suggested the Hollow which was able to give us a reservation. This turned out to be a nice find. They have a great beer list, and interesting and varied food. Our only real complaint was the noise level which was VERY high. Granted-- this was a Friday night at 6:00 so that's understandable. Still, the noise spilling into the dining room from the adjacent bar made conversation all but impossible. I wish there was some way for them to dampen the noise without changing the ambience of the dining room which was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slowest Service.AliWDined on 6/12/2014When we arrived no one was waiting to seat customers, after about 5 minutes I had to ask the bartender to be seated. It took our waitress about 15 minutes to make it to our table to take our drink order. Once we placed our drink order, it took another 15 minutes or so to receive our drinks, one of which was horribly flat. She asked our food order when she brought our drinks, and did not stop back at all for another 20 minutes, during which my boyfriend sat there with a flat drink. Finally she stopped back to tell us that our food would be "just a few more minutes" at which time she retrieved a slightly less flat soda for my boyfriend. Another 15 minutes or so pass, and FINALLY we get our food... more than AN HOUR after we were seated.Special Features:
- FabulouseatoutoftenDined on 6/7/2014The Hollow has spectacular food, great service, friendly staff and the ambiance is perfect with the mason jar lights that hang over the tables - it was a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must tryFrankDined on 5/30/2014The hollow is a great place. Awesome burgers, great beer and wine list and very vegetarian friendly. Super friendly service. The French onion soup is a must try! They also have a ton of great music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Got Our TableDaleTyVIPDined on 5/13/2014Arrived at 6:30 for our reservation. Spent 15 minutes looking for a hostess and trying to get a waiter to help us. Several employes said they would look for a table. None of them came back. Walked around restaurant. Didn't see any free tables. Left after we heard people complaining that they had waited 30 minutes for their food. To be fair there was a concert nearby that night so the place was packed. Given their location they should be used to handling crowds. Heard the food is great sorry we didn't get the chance to try it.
- spunx82Dined on 5/12/2014There was no hostess so it was confusing to try to hunt someone down to seat us. After we sat down, it took over an hour to get our food. We were trying to make a show a block away at 7:30 and the reservation was at 6pm. We though this would give us enough time to leisurely eat and have a couple drinks. We ended up rushing to eat and get to the show. Our orders, though still good, didn't include special add on items. I'm not sure if we were charged for them because we were in such a hurry to get to the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long waitwaitronDined on 4/12/2014We waited approx. 45 min for our meals. Apparently there was a staff shortage in the kitchen. One entree was not as described but still good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and a ConcertOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014I ate at the Hollow because I had tickets to a concert there that night. The food was REALLY good, with lots of vegetarian options, and locally raised meat for the carnivores. It was really crowded, but we got right in with our Open Table reservation. It was very loud (the band was still doing sound check) but the ambiance overall was fantastic. The music venue was small, - so get in early if the show is going to be well-attended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lazy service and terrible winekateDined on 4/7/2014The food was decent, but the server took a half hour to get out drinks, and overall had us stuck there for two hours on a school night. I was unimpressed with the service. The wine was awful, I got a wine flight and all the selections were terrible. I will onlu return for the music.Special Features:
- Downtown Albany Restaurant WeekspnluverDined on 4/7/2014The atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly. Our server was welcoming and warm. First, I had their pasta fagioli soup which is my favorite soup. It was excellent! One of the best versions of it that I ever had! It was rich and spicy. Next, I had their nightly steak which was a sirloin on top of a bed of cavatelli, mushrooms, and peppers. It was very flavorful. The steak was a little tough that I would have preferred especially since I got it medium rare, but overall the dish was very good. Lastly, I had their chocolate chip cookie cheesecake, which was very good. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a great night out to dinner and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restuarant and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2014The restuarant and atmosphere was nice, however there was an extremely loud and rude table sitting approximately 20 feet away and because of their noise I could barely have a conversation with my dinner date, several peopel seemed by be annoyed by them and our server even apologized. I know this is not necessarily in your control, but it ruined the evening for me.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Hollow ExperienceNYCJadedDined on 4/4/2014My SO and I decided to go to The Hollow during Albany Restaurant Week in order to give it a try. I booked a reservation and when we got there, it was all tables of two seated along one wall. We were seated at a very unstable and tiny table right near the kitchen. I was very confused as to why I was given an un-serrated butter knife to use on my appetizer. The entree… well, my SO's steak was practically raw and I was very disappointed with the entirely too spicy pasta they shoved underneath it. However, the wait staff was so incredible and someone from the kitchen came out to apologize and make sure it was cooked properly this time. The dessert was a few sad lumps of chocolate and berries or some soggy donuts.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week DinnerKatieDined on 4/3/2014The Hollow served up a delicious meal with attentive and prompt service! I ordered a wine flight--glad I did, because two of them (the white and the malbec) were ok but the other two (the riesling and the cab) were great, and I might have missed out otherwise. Both my fiance and I were greateful that our appetizers were actually appetizer proportions. The gnocchi with calamari in a puttanesca was well prepared--not too spicy, and the calamari was a surprisingly good accompaniment (I took some of the gnocchi home, but gobbled up all the calamari that night!). My dark chocolate chunks with strawberries was the absolute perfect finish.Special Features:
- Tasty food/drinks before an eventtbsd1369Dined on 3/28/2014The food was very good - excellent menu and the specials were superb. The beer selection is top notch, including 95-100 scoring Beer Advocate choices. Due to an event going on at the Palace Theater, the service was a bit slow and the bar and dining areas were crowded, but I don't think that's the norm. Location-wise, Hollow is great - quick walk up N. Pearl to other bars, or to the Palace or other event locations. And Quackenbush Garage is convenient for parking. Aside: I was told upon arrival that once dinner starts, the hostess does not check OpenTable, so even though my reservation was submitted over an hour prior, they did not have it on record. We happened to get lucky and there was a table that opened up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grateful gourmetfoodieladyDined on 3/14/2014This is a terrific place for gourmet quality at reasonable prices, and generous quantity. I loved my gnocchi with spicy mushrooms, and my husband's eggplant stack was delicious. We noted many vegetarian options that our friends would appreciate, and will return with them. Their beer and wine selections are huge, with many local crafted choices. The waitress was very helpful and friendly. You can linger here, or dine before an event, such as live music , or a play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014Enjoyed the food at the Hollow. Bartenders were friendly and knowledgeable. We dined at the bar with a view of the kitchen. The chef came out and asked about our meals and brought us a some extra shrimp for our meal. Everything was great until I used the bathroom which for a late night dive would have been acceptable, but for a place that I was dining out was bad, really bad. Pay attention to the bathroom and you got yourself a regularSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love it!foodluver2008Dined on 1/25/2014love this place - excellent food, great atmosphere - crowd not "too young"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014We , party of 6, all agree this was an overly enjoyable experience. Haven't been there in a good while. Since it was the bayou. The food and beverages were all excellent. They had a band in the other room. We paired them together. Which made our time that much better. It's was a bit expensive, but you got what you paid for. Will definitely try it again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying Real HardokiealanVIPDined on 1/24/2014We went to The Hollow for the first time and enjoyed our meal. You can see that they are trying very hard to make the place successful. when we came in we couldn't find the welcome stand to check in. we ended up walking through the restaurant to do so. the place is a lot of smaller rooms with different purposes, so it's a little disjointed, but it has lots of charm with its brick walls and unique lighting in the dining room.the service was attentive and the food was good. it's a limited menu but the food we had was flavorful and delivered as expected. Overall we give it a "good." with lots of potential. we'll go again and see if they keep improving. they also need to decide if they're a pub or a nice dining place.Special Features:
- Better, but Needs WorkMDBluesDined on 1/18/2014They are making an effort to separate the place from it's past, but there are some issues yet. The server seemed overwhelmed and inattentively busy. We waited for her for too long several times. The food came out, my Wife's was delicious, but I got the wrong dish. It was mahi-mahi instead of chicken. Luckily I just don't like seafood, because if I was allergic, I'd have been in trouble. The kitchen staff that delivered the plates apologized, but I watched my Wife eat and she watched me because mine took another 15 minutes. All we got out of that huge mistake was the wrong dish to take home. We had to remind the server of that also. The food is good, but not good enough to return.