The Hobbit Restaurant
121 81st St
Ocean City, MD 21842Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Hobbit Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thehobbitrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4105248100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Hobbit Restaurant
An absolute escape from Ocean City. A place to indulge in inventive American cuisine and mouthwatering seafood while overlooking one of the most picturesque views you have ever laid eyes on. If you're looking to simply come in for some appetizers and a few cocktails our bartenders make great company at the bar that maintains the same breathtaking views. So next time you're wondering where to go to enjoy an exceptional meal, stop by The Hobbit and step into a classy, sleak, but most importantly comfortable world of dining excellence. We are located in the bottom floor of the Rivendell Condominium at 81st on the Bay and we offer our full menu daily beginning at 5 p.m.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Hobbit Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Ocean City ›
The Hobbit Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (121)special occasion (100)romantic (92)fit for foodies (56)good for groups (32)notable wine list (29)neighborhood gem (23)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (10)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)Show More
- Awesome menu and serviceEliseDined on 8/30/2014we had a wonderful dinner - i had the salmon and everyone else enjoyed the crabcakes the sunset view was exceptional from all tables and bar areaSpecial Features:
- Gorgeous sunsetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent crab cakes and menu with something for everyone; loved the coconut cake, but big enough to share.Special Features:
- email@example.comFenwickboundDined on 8/30/2014Food, view and wine were fantastic. Always a good night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceLuv2dine2Dined on 8/28/2014Food was fantastic. Service was great too. Lovely all around experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hold the salt! Where's the pepper?DCFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014This was our 3rd time dining at The Hobbit in the past three years. Unfortunately, the third time was NOT the charm. The special, described as "rockfish stuffed with crab" was actually a chunk of rockfish (filet) with crab imperial on top -- that's quite a difference. Little things mean a lot, especially in a restaurant that's pleased us in the past. Warm bread was delivered AFTER our appetizers arrived. Crab soup was too salty, as was the finishing layer on top of the mashed potatoes. And, oh! How I wished I'd been offered the peppermill with my Caesar salad. I didn't know fresh ground pepper was available until I saw the customer at the booth across from us receive some on her salad. And on ... and on. Too bad!Special Features:
- The Hobbit is heavenly!TessNarvonDined on 8/22/2014Love The Hobbit, have been coming for years. Never disappoints. The food is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Getaway Dinnergirlsgetaway2014Dined on 8/20/2014Had such a great time! The sunset view was beautiful and breath taking! Will defiantly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hobbit is a new fave!JimDDined on 8/17/2014We were given a gift certificate to the Hobbit and drove there from our place in Bethany Beach. We arrived about 20 minutes before a gorgeous sunset over the bay. That alone would have made the trip worthwhile! The food was excellent, especially the crab cakes. Our waitress Emily was attentive without being overly so; we did not feel the least bit rushed. For our next visit I plan to skip lunch and enjoy the New York Strip...or maybe the crab cakes...or maybe the halibut. On second thought, we'll just go there often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD & SERVICEFLOATVIPDined on 8/17/2014Celebrate our birthday's on Sunday night 8/17/2014. The food was great and the server Kylie was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but issuesMe175Dined on 8/16/2014Had reservation, still took 25 mins to seat. Walkins were in front of us. Duck breast was good, short rib was over cooked and a tiny portion. Water glasses were never refilled, nor could we get waiters attention to get us more wine. A party that took up 2 tables, were yelling and screaming, stadiums were quieter. Same table of people were smoking by front door and refused to move to let us leave, not a happy experience.Special Features:
- Beautiful placeYummyInMyTummyDined on 8/16/2014I ordered the filet mignon, it was delicious. The waitress Brittany was very helpful and informative. Overall an amazing experience and will go back at a earlier time next time to watch the sunset while dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseSugarDaddyDined on 8/14/2014First time to Ocean City, MD. Coming from La Jolla, CA I wasn't too impressed by the local food. We did a quick search on Yelp and took a chance. Boy were we pleasantly surprised. Beautiful venue, great service and fantastic food. Wish I found this place earlier in the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, outstanding, deliciousNjoydiningoutVIPDined on 8/11/2014The Hobbit restraunt was overall amazing. The food was so delicious, everyone enjoyed and cleared their plates. Also, the panoramic view from inside the restraunt is breathtaking. There was a wide variety of entrees to choose from, my daughter who is a vegetarian even found something delicious. The dessert was unmanageably outstanding. We had the coconut cake and, the cheesecake which was chocolate peanut butter. We couldn't decide which one we liked better. Overall I was very impressed with the restraunt and I will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerParis15Dined on 8/11/2014Fabulous bartender where we enjoyed a cocktail before dinner. Dinner was disappointing. We ordered the salmon with balsamic and mustard glaze with apple celery slaw and vegetables. Glaze was too much for salmon, coleslaw was a vinegar mess (too sour too taste anything but vinegar) and vegetables were all undercooked. Not impressed. Mile high coconut cake, impressive in presentation, was bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeniseDined on 8/10/2014The hobbit is ocean City's finest restaurant. The dining room is elegant. The servers are well trained and professional. The food is always outstanding. The crab cakes were the best and did not have have any fillers. Everyone's food arrived at the same time. There were no glitches. This,restaurant is just the best of ocmd. It should not be missed. The hobbit is not a restaurant for small children. However, children are accommodated. If taking small children, it is a good idea to dine early perhaps...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Over RatedBeachLovers6Dined on 8/9/2014The service was good as were the rolls. The Calamari was so sweet it was like seafood candy. The halibut was over cooked and virtually tasteless. The sides that came with the fish were both over cooked as well. The crab cakes were just ok, nothing special. We were really looking forward to this meal after reading the reviews but were very disappointed. We don't mind paying for a great meal but this was almost $95 for one appetizer, one glass of wine, two mediocre entre's and no dessert. Will stick to Just Hooked and the Matt Haley restaurants in Bethany and Rehoboth from now on!Special Features:
- Wonderful place!ChrissyDined on 8/9/2014We love eating there. We can't wait to come back to Ocean City to eat there. We wish it was closer to us. My crab cakes were awesome!Special Features:
- Middle Earth is SavedTimZim1980Dined on 8/8/2014When we came to OCMD for a holiday weekend the goal was to find a non-rib non deep-fry non seafood place. Ummmm WIN! Every entree was a hit especially the mustard curates pork chop and dusted halibut. Horry cow. Seriously stop searching reviews and make a reservation now- Hobbit is hands down the best foodery in town. :::::::)))))))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Crab cakesPhillyWinoDined on 8/6/2014Been vacationing in OCMD for over 25 years and honestly believe they have the best crab cakes in the area. Although probably the most expensive at $44, it's worth it to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LynnVIPDined on 8/5/2014beautiful restaurant. definitely recommend. gorgeous grounds.
- Food Not as Good as the ViewgopmomVIPDined on 8/3/2014The Hobbit has an amazing location, great parking and a spectacular view but the food is nothing special. The menu choices are just okay and for the price so is the food. With so many fresh and vibrant food choices available in the summer it's surprising that they don't take advantage of it and serve the same old staid choices.Special Features:
- Diningduo86Dined on 7/31/2014Crab cakes were delicious! View was beautiful. Our server was excellent. Steak wasn't great Everything else was great. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- good dining experience.lovepuppyVIPDined on 7/28/2014OC favorite. Beautiful view of bay. Gourmet food. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hobbit reduxOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/26/2014I don't remember how many years it has been since we last ate at The Hobbit. At that time it was a small, cottage-y restaurant with laid-back ambience and great food. In its latest form it is a beautiful space and the food was outstanding. Fellow diners rated it as "good as the best Baltimore restaurants." No disrespect to O.C., but it was an unexpected dining experience in a beach resort. We will definitely return in a lot shorter time than before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2014 was fair compared to 20132014versus2013VIPDined on 7/25/2014I had been to The Hobbit twice in 2014 and gave it accolades, but it was only a "fair rating" in 2013. The Pho soup was more like an Asian hot/sour beef goulash. We ordered four entrees -- all were so-so and the sides were not creative. The main offense of glaring sun which could easily have been mitigated by blinds that still allow a view (visit Fresco's for an example) mandate that sunglasses are required to dine there.Special Features:
- Phenomenal!FieldMDDined on 7/25/2014The Hobbit is an nnual event for our family. We begin and end our vacation with dinner at the Hobbit. The food is delicious, the service is great and the sunsets are stunning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014We take our young daughters out for a fine dining experience every vacation. Our server, Kylie, was fabulous! Suggestions & recommendations mode discretely. Our meals were exactly as ordered. Exceptional evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hobbit is AWESOME!HBBaysideDined on 7/21/2014We've dined at the Hobbit several times now that our Sons are grown. Now, it is an annual event to have dinner at the Hobbit when we come to Ocean City, MD. The Hobbit is the standard for consistency, great food, great service and the view of the sunset is priceless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014We have eaten there before and enjoyed it, but this time was terrible. The cream of crab soups came out cold, the filet mignons were inedible the were so incredibly salty and the crab cake tasted terrible! If that had been my first experience, I would not go back! Since I know they are capable of better, I will.Special Features:
- ClassyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2014This OC's best. You will enjoy the ambience, the view, and the service.Special Features:
- Night out with friendshappylifeDined on 7/19/2014We enjoyed a late dinner this Saturday with good friends and it was nice to try something different...it had been years since we had visited the Hobbit. It's a beautiful space and everyone looked to be having a fabulous time, lots of big groups. Unfortunately that made the noise level pretty high. The servers were attentive, the food was delicious and we will definately return. We may try an earllier visit to take advantage of the gorgeous view.Special Features:
- Delightful DiningMaritarDined on 7/18/2014The name makes me think of something a little hokey - but the Hobbit has a contemporary, lively atmosphere. What's in a name anyway? The setting was sleek and scenic. The service and food were excellent. We had a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- slightly overpricedAntigaluDined on 7/17/2014I would stay away from the mix drinks stick to wine or beer. When ordering Meat dishes specify the doneness desired as they seem to overcook things. also be aware of a loose hand with the salt if you have a problem with salt make sure you say something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSydneyDined on 7/14/2014We had a great time at the Hobbitt on Monday. Our group of 7 enjoyed great service and delicious food. The kitchen was kind enough to turn the lamb chop app into an entree and 3 of us got the lamb. So delicious! Definitely a good spot for a group as they take reservations and very good care of you.Special Features:
- Food Excellent; Service NotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/9/2014Had a really nice dinner here. The view is lovely and the restaurant is as well. Our food was very good - calamari a bit sweet but a unique preparation that we appreciated. The duck was very good as was the mahi. The service, although prompt, was rather disinterested - both the server as well as the manager who we called over to resolve a minor issue. He resolved the issue quickly and to our satisfaction but neither he nor the server were friendly. They did their job, period. We would go again but would prefer more engaged and customer friendly service.Special Features:
- SunnytosunsetDined on 7/5/2014Although the sun was beating down on us, the spectacular sunset was way more memorable. Food could have been a bit better. Filet mignon was not cooked to order but was still good. Short ribs were excellent. Skipped the seafood this visit just because we weren't in the mood for it. Salads were excellent also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014We chose the Hobbit to celebrate a friend's birthday. It was an absolutely wonderful evening and we look forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceTheWanderingWizardDined on 7/5/2014A little beyond the "city" of Rivendell you will find treasure with the Hobbit. This modern themed restaurant has JRR Tolkien esque decore and an amazing sunset view available during the dinner hour. The food is excellent from the signature Hobbit rum punch to the chefs daily specials. Even the desserts look amazing and with portion sizes large enough to satisfy a dragon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amertumeDined on 7/5/2014I wish they had more LOTR decor and references, because this restaurant's name IS supposed to be related to LOTR! It's got a great view of the bayside of OC, and the food is relatively diverse (they have both steak and seafood instead of just one type of food). It's a very classy place, but not the uptight/upscale kind of place where you won't feel comfortable while eating. The service is attentive, but not overly so; ambience is relaxing and calm.Special Features:
- Dessert is amazingPAFoodieDined on 7/4/2014Mary's Delight is a must have - consistently good. Cheesecake of the week (our week was Peanutbutter) was amazing. Seafood dishes/dinner specials are usually good. I just ordered the wrong entree this trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.