The High Spot
305 High Street
Cambridge, MD 21613Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The High Spot
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thehighspotgastropub.com/
- Phone: 4102287420
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11a.m. - 11p.m.
Friday - Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Sunday 8:00 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, British
- Executive Chef: Patrick Troy Fanning
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can Cater to your needs! Tell us What you would line and we can accommodate!
A word from The High Spot
Classic GastroPub with strong emphasis on "Locavore" concept of farm to table and using only local merchants and food providers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
The High Spot - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
The High Spot reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (22)great for outdoor dining (18)great for lunch (17)good for groups (13)special occasion (11)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (9)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (6)notable wine list (4)scenic view (1)romantic (1)Show More
- HIGH SPOT GREAT EXPERIECEOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014M HUSBAND AND I COME TO THE HYATT CHESAPEAKE BAY DURING THE END OF AUGUST AFTER OUR CHILDREN LEAVE FOR COLLEGE. WE SAVE THIS RESTAURANT FOR THE LAST NIGHT FOR A SPECIAL TREAT. THE STAFF IS FRIENDLY AND THEY DO A GREAT JOB! WE HAD THE FRIED OYSTERS AND FRIED SHRIMP FOR THE SPECIAL APPETIZER, BOTH WERE RICH IN SPICES AND TENDER. WE PROCEEDED BY ORDERING THE FILET OF BEEF WITH SMASHED POTATOES AND ASPARAGUS. IT WAS HEAVENLY, AD WE TOPPED IT OFF WITH THE MIXED BERRY COBBLER WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM. THE DESSERT WAS WARM AND MELTED IN YOUR MOUTH. WE LOOK FORWARD TO COMING BACK NEXT SUMMER. THIS IS A RESTAURANT THAT IS A MUST IN CAMBRIDGE!Special Features:
- One of our favorite spotsGwq1963Dined on 8/23/2014Great food and service. So glad they are on open table, it use to be so hard to get a table. Now it's just a click away!Special Features:
- Good food..terrible acousticssc2014Dined on 8/21/2014The food was delicious but the accoustics are awful and could barely hear each other over the screeching baby and loud groups surrounding us. Limited number of tables so reservations are a must. Our waiter was great until our meal came. Then he pretty much forgot about us ( and this was after the place pretty much emptied out).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very convenient to the HyattJulieKVIPDined on 8/20/2014We enjoyed our meal here - Cambridge is very cute. It was great to get off the Hyatt Hotel site to have some nice dinner downtonw.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food ok serviceRpe111Dined on 8/20/2014I am always annoyed when I get to a restaurant early and they say "we only have one of the special left, and the appetizer special is sold out". Then they don't take your order for twenty minutes and the special is surprisingly gone. Other than that, this was a decent local place, with ok food and service. I think they need to step up everything a notch if they want a recommendation, but a decent neighborhood place for a pint and dinner.Special Features:
- Always GoodBrad21613Dined on 8/15/2014I always like the special menu. You can find something new on the chalkboard when you come in.Special Features:
- small portionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014We had calamari for starters, and it was pretty good. I ordered Sea Bass, and the portion size was probably 2 inches by 4 inches. Luckily my husband shared his waffle with me. He had fried chicken on a waffle. He said the chicken was skimpy. We will probably go back, but try something different. We sat outside. It was pretty loud inside. I asked for a table outside when I called and the hostess said okay, but when we got there, the lady said we don't take reservations for outside seating. I did use OpenTable but I saw a review on this site that there was a problem with the reservation, so I called for confirmation. We had to wait about 10 minutes for our tableSpecial Features:
- EddieDined on 8/8/2014We drive from Easton and always love our night out at High Spot.Special Features:
- A dining gemMic172Dined on 7/18/2014This is our fourth time to the High Spot. This time with friends for their first time. We ate outside at the suggestion of the hostess to enjoy the cool evening weather. Our waitress was attentive even though it was busy. The food was terrific as usual with even a vegeterian option for our friend. In addition there was a great selection of beers to pick from. We will definitely return. Happy to see Cambridge Md dining choices continuing to expand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menuJannDined on 7/12/2014At this visit to high spot there was a new menu. Our server was very friendly, attentive and knowledgeable! He recommended menu items and the food was very good - the place busy as usual, and always noisey. Always make reservations to assure a good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2014Another great dinner at the High Spot. Everything was delicious and we received prompt, friendly service. We always enjoy eating here when in Cambridge.Special Features:
- UNFORGETTABLEDrjohn738Dined on 6/22/2014NEVER HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE. THE PRICES ARE AVERAGE. THE SERVICE IS JUST RIGHT. THE FOOD IS GORMET.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oliverDined on 6/21/2014This was the worst steak I've had in a restaurant. Although it was the special, it wasn't inexpensive and was almost all gristle. The waiter never returned to ask about the food. In the past, we have enjoyed the appetizers here, but the entrees usually disappoint, however, this was an all-time low.
- LeejVIPDined on 6/20/2014It was ok, fried chicken good,fish tacos not good,french fries not hotSpecial Features:
- BaypicsDined on 6/14/2014The High Spot is a great Eastern Shore Dining experience. Great local foods, a wonderful variety of local beers and nice town atmosphere.Special Features:
- No record of open table reservationJoJoDined on 6/12/2014I made a reservation through Open table at High Spot in Cambridge, MD. When we arrived at the restaurant there was no record of our reservation. ( see below) Just a reminder, you've got a reservation coming up! The High Spot will be ready for your party of 4 at 6:30 PM on Thursday, June 12, 2014. Confirmation Number: 931169215Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/5/2014Very cool gastropub with excellent food. A little gem in Cambridge. Great 'half way point' from DC to the beach.Special Features:
- Worth a visitCapsfanDined on 5/17/2014While spending a night in Cambridge, we decided to have dinner at the High Spot. The food available ranges from Pub food to innovative entrees. My husband had the shepherds pie, which he said surpassed his previous favorite shepherds pie. I had a special of soft shell crab and oysters, which was also very good. The High Spot has a wide range of choices. The noise level is definitely "energetic." It is worth a visit.
- Good spot, poor foodAndreaDined on 5/9/2014Very nice place, probably great for a few Beers and some snacks, but our dinner was poor. Food already cooked and just war ed up.Special Features:
- The following 149 reviews are from the The High Spot reviews archive.
- Appreciated the phone callESfoodieDined on 5/3/2014We contacted the restaurant to see if we could move our reservation up by about an hour. The hostess was very polite and told us there was no availability. About an hour later, she called back and informed us they had a cancellation and could now honor our request. We greatly appreciated the followup.Special Features:
- The High Spot is THE Hot Spot!BuffyVIPDined on 4/26/2014Friendly service, really good food, great beer and mixed drinks. The rock fish and dirty risotto is HIGHLY recommended. We also had the calamari for an appetizer and Cod Fish and Frites. All very, very good! I took a chance on dessert and order what was like a little toffee Bundt cake (I love toffee), but I definitely should have just ordered another cocktail. The cake was hard as a rock and burned on the instead, but the vanilla ice cream was delish. All and all, this place was great, clearly the spot in Cambridge where everyone dines. Don’t forget to make reservations.Special Features:
- Love the High Spot!DiggityDined on 4/24/2014This is a great little Gastropub in the heart of downtown Cambridge. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/24/2014Let's be clear....I love this restaurant....but on this night at this time....the service was not good and actually quite rude....and my food was burnt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter DinnerFamily4Dined on 4/20/2014We took a chance on this gastropub & were pleasantly surprised! They have a loooong beer list & happy hour is all day on Sunday. My family & I dined on the chicken Chesapeake, filet mignon, and bangers with beer cheese & mash...all was exquisite! We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice evening in Cambridge.TERP73Dined on 4/12/2014nice evening in Cambridge. Will let our friends know.Special Features:
- Really good in- town restauarantWEDinerDined on 4/5/2014Locals and referrals from the Hyatt Resort come here. Imaginative food, changes seasonally. Seafood is very fresh and well prepared. There are plenty of other dishes for those who prefer meat or vegetables.Special Features:
- Trying too hard without focusingFoodiefunDined on 3/21/2014This restaurant wants to be good and trendy in a small town, but it forgot to focus on the main point...the food. Food was dry and overlooked and all sauces were runny. Only good thing was the price of a bottle of wine for $22. Would not return and would not recommend.
- Excellent Local Fare!DiggityDined on 3/21/2014The High Spot is a great spot for any occasion. My wife and I both love the food, atmosphere, and the always excellent staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a late lunch/ earlyLynnDined on 3/15/2014We had a late lunch/ early dinner. My hamburger special with goat cheese great. Homemade FFs a plus. Husband's crab cake off the menu also a winner. Would definitely eat there again on a future visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- March Crab CakesdineinDined on 3/14/2014Our server was wonderful. However the crab cakes left a lot to be desired. Very fishy flavor.Special Features:
- Delightful!BuffyDined on 2/20/2014We noshed on many delicious appetizers. All of our bites had great attention to detail and they were amazingly savory. This is our new favorite spot.. The staff were kind, swift, and quite efficient. It was a quick turn off of Rt. 50.Special Features:
- Great food & informal atmosphere!ChessieFoodieDined on 2/16/2014Great place for friends and for families. Fried buffalo oysters terrific. Something for everyone. Was our secret go-to place...now others have discovered it too. Sunday all-day 1/2 priced specials can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid-winter SADDjohnDined on 2/15/2014Wife and I have had occasion to dine here on a regular basis. It is one of her favorite spots. Will note that while the company and crowd still is vibrant the service on this visit was a tad slow. (And we do not blame our waitress as she came by - several times - to let us know "this or that" was on the way or would soon be at our table.) The orders were not out of the ordinary but a sense of the restaurant "not being ready" was very apparent. (It was Valentine's Day Weekend so perhaps in this is a reason.) To the slow service - I am guessing the kitchen was overwhelmed and perhaps understaffed) the food quality was less than I expected. The Steak Diane had several pieces of meat that were more fat and grizzle than actual meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a sleepy town nestledDobberDined on 2/14/2014For a sleepy town nestled along the banks of the Choptank River, the dining experience was an amazing surprize.. Truly ranks the best for a Valentines dinner memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Double StandardRegularGuestDined on 2/8/2014Upon arrival for our reservation we specifically asked our waitress for a table in the dinning room. She consulted her manager at the desk, who without consulting a table chart or computer, instantly said, "No!" Ok... fine. Within 15 minutes of our arrival, another couple arrived without reservations. They were apparently friends of the manager, because she greeted them by name, telling them she was sure she could get them in... and escorting them to the dining room. Of course I had to go take a look just to satisfy my curiosity, and sure enough the were seated comfortably in the dining room. All evening we watched is amazement as other patrons without reservations were taken to the dinning room. What gives?Special Features:
- Nice Spot for Lunch on a Winter DaySydneyDined on 2/8/2014We had heard about this restaurant and were very excited by the menu. We had wonderful Lobster Bisque which was the special. I had the crab cake which was average - lots of filler. My husband had a philly cheesesteak special but the the steak was whole, not shaved as expected, and quite chewy. The bar menu looked great and we will try again for dinner next time we're in Cambridge. Nice window view of the street traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long timeGwq1963Dined on 2/7/2014I had the sea bass special. The very best thing I've eaten in such a long time. I woke up thinking about it. I hope they add it to the menu. Our waitress was great. Love the beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night with friendslic2Dined on 1/25/2014The food is good and you won't break the bank as long as you don't get too crazy on the drinks. We had local Rockfish which was outstanding. A friend ordered short ribs but didn't care for them. I think he jus ordered the wrong thing for his tastes.Special Features:
- Confused BeginningsdizmacDined on 1/25/2014We arrived early and our table wasn't ready...BUT there was about 6 tables in the front dinner room with no one sitting at them!! I understand we had arrived early than why didn't the hostess (older woman) accommodate us with a different table at first.... She had told us we could sit at the bar until our table was ready!! A different hostess (younger girl) offered us another table about ten mins afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of best local options:CambridgeLocalFoodieDined on 1/17/2014lengthy beer list, inspired meal interpretations using local ingredients. 5 yrs ago, such an approach would not have worked in low-income cambridge, but I regularly see folks from 30 miles away in there - it's worth the trip. I hope it is doing well because we eat there a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.