The High Spot
305 High Street
Cambridge, MD 21613Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The High Spot
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thehighspotgastropub.com/
- Phone: (410) 228-7420
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11a.m. - 11p.m.
Friday - Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Sunday 8:00 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, British
- Executive Chef: Patrick Troy Fanning
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can Cater to your needs! Tell us What you would line and we can accommodate!
A word from The High Spot
Classic GastroPub with strong emphasis on "Locavore" concept of farm to table and using only local merchants and food providers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The High Spot - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
The High Spot reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (28)hot spot (20)great for outdoor dining (15)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (12)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (6)special occasion (5)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)romantic (2)Show More
- Great place to take guests.SassyDined on 11/22/2014Perfect place because one of our guests is a vegetarian and the menu had many great unusual selections, not just the usual pasta dishes. The pumpkin risotto was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseNamretDined on 11/15/2014Delicious, inventive menu....various combinations of dishes that are a little different....loved the halibut fish cake and adored the French fries! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Frist timejscottVIPDined on 11/14/2014This place came highly recommended and it did not disappoint. The service and the food was great. We will return when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware of HappyHour pricesDrjohn738Dined on 10/19/2014$3.00 for a glass of wine = Great price! $10.++ for a bar martini = NO HAPPY HOUR SPECIAL HERE (The waiter was very busy, very professional and simply turned our complaint over to the manager). We lost! Price too High for Cambridge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in TownWeLovePatrickFanningDined on 10/18/2014The High Spot is one of the two most vibrant, interesting restaurants in town. The other is Stoked and it has the same ownership and chef! It is where to meet and greet. Excellent food, especially the petite filets for only $21!Special Features:
- Worth the driveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014To Cambridge. . .the food was well prepared, fresh and appealing, the waiter we had was helpful but could easily fade into the background. Wine and beer lists varied and interesting. We drove from Kent Island to sample Cambridge and were not disappointed with The High Spot.Special Features:
- One of Best on Shore; worth a tripLocalFoodieDined on 9/27/2014Located on the edge of a slowly revitalizing downtown Cambridge, High Spot has extensive beer list and innovative menu, always cooked well, and served with pleasant and well trained staff. Buffalo Fried Oysters and fried pickles are popular apps here. High Spot is part of a 3 restaurant "Empire" that includes "Stoked", a hearth-fired eatery, and a healthy smoothie type place that I have not tried yet. Cambridge is still a city trying to find an identity and you wont want to venture too far from the restaurant locale, especially at night, but I am pleased, being a local, that there are enough food-focused people in the area to support these culinary entrepreneurs. Parking for High Spot is plentiful and close.Special Features:
- Great for special occasions .EddieDined on 9/27/2014my wife chose the High Spot to celebrate her birthday. It is definitely one of our go to restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014The rockfish special was excellent. The Chesapeake crab dip was great too (we needed more bread to go with the dip, the waitress got it for us). The wine per glass was reasonable and the selection good.Special Features:
- Terrible, Condescending ServicecedbVIPDined on 9/20/2014We are regulars & have always loved it, even during very busy times, but this day was appalling. We were early for our reservation, but got seated right away. After 15 mins, we had to ask for water and menus. No one ever came back to our table. Every 15 mins, we would go find the waitress and/or manager to take our order, but no one did. After an hour and 20 mins, we finally left. Before walking out, I decided to let the manager know why we were leaving. She had the audacity to imply that we were only in a hurry because we had kids. She was downright condescending. It had nothing to do with kids - no one should have to wait that long. She never apologized or took any responsibility. Not a way to treat your regulars, or any customer.
- Cool spotnatstar1Dined on 9/19/2014I was in Cambridge for a triathlon race and this place was recommended by our host, and it was down the street from where we were staying. Was happy to get a reservation, and they took good care of us! The marketing/messaging for the place emphasizes that food comes locally, but there wasn't any talk about that among the waitstaff, so I'm not sure how much that really plays in. Attentive and understanding servers all wanted to make sure our experience went well. Lots of space for big groups. Easy choice!Special Features:
- Good foodGoodeats1Dined on 9/12/2014Very much enjoyed the atmosphere and food. Most impressive was the portions for the valueSpecial Features:
- Not up to usual standardslesnomadesVIPDined on 9/12/2014We have eaten at the High Spot on numerous occasions, but this experience was not as good as our previous times. The special beef tip tacos was good, but the rest of the meals were just okay. Don't save room for dessert, it is not worth ordering. Waiter seemed disinterested as well.Special Features:
- An oasisOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/9/2014High Spot a cut above other restaurants in the Cambridge "eatery desert". Very good lunch (free range chicken salad), so so dinner (chicken pot pie).
- One of best local eateriesLocalFoodieDined on 9/6/2014For a town known more for low brow vittles, Cambridge has seen a resurgence in restaurants that actually serve good food, and by that I mean food that compares favorably with what you would find in Baltimore or Washington, but with a local flair. I'd go to High Spot over any other local place - it has to be one of the most creative and consistently good eateries on the Shore, and has variety, not just seafood focused like a lot of places. They also have an extensive beer list. We had a table of 7 and everyone was happy with our apps, dinner and dessert. I am very particular about service and our server was excellent - well trained, great personality,and attentive without being obvious. It can be loud. Food arrives promptly.Special Features:
- HIGH SPOT GREAT EXPERIECEOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014M HUSBAND AND I COME TO THE HYATT CHESAPEAKE BAY DURING THE END OF AUGUST AFTER OUR CHILDREN LEAVE FOR COLLEGE. WE SAVE THIS RESTAURANT FOR THE LAST NIGHT FOR A SPECIAL TREAT. THE STAFF IS FRIENDLY AND THEY DO A GREAT JOB! WE HAD THE FRIED OYSTERS AND FRIED SHRIMP FOR THE SPECIAL APPETIZER, BOTH WERE RICH IN SPICES AND TENDER. WE PROCEEDED BY ORDERING THE FILET OF BEEF WITH SMASHED POTATOES AND ASPARAGUS. IT WAS HEAVENLY, AD WE TOPPED IT OFF WITH THE MIXED BERRY COBBLER WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM. THE DESSERT WAS WARM AND MELTED IN YOUR MOUTH. WE LOOK FORWARD TO COMING BACK NEXT SUMMER. THIS IS A RESTAURANT THAT IS A MUST IN CAMBRIDGE!Special Features:
- One of our favorite spotsGwq1963Dined on 8/23/2014Great food and service. So glad they are on open table, it use to be so hard to get a table. Now it's just a click away!Special Features:
- Good food..terrible acousticssc2014Dined on 8/21/2014The food was delicious but the accoustics are awful and could barely hear each other over the screeching baby and loud groups surrounding us. Limited number of tables so reservations are a must. Our waiter was great until our meal came. Then he pretty much forgot about us ( and this was after the place pretty much emptied out).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very convenient to the HyattJulieKVIPDined on 8/20/2014We enjoyed our meal here - Cambridge is very cute. It was great to get off the Hyatt Hotel site to have some nice dinner downtonw.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food ok serviceRpe111Dined on 8/20/2014I am always annoyed when I get to a restaurant early and they say "we only have one of the special left, and the appetizer special is sold out". Then they don't take your order for twenty minutes and the special is surprisingly gone. Other than that, this was a decent local place, with ok food and service. I think they need to step up everything a notch if they want a recommendation, but a decent neighborhood place for a pint and dinner.Special Features:
- Always GoodBrad21613Dined on 8/15/2014I always like the special menu. You can find something new on the chalkboard when you come in.Special Features:
- small portionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014We had calamari for starters, and it was pretty good. I ordered Sea Bass, and the portion size was probably 2 inches by 4 inches. Luckily my husband shared his waffle with me. He had fried chicken on a waffle. He said the chicken was skimpy. We will probably go back, but try something different. We sat outside. It was pretty loud inside. I asked for a table outside when I called and the hostess said okay, but when we got there, the lady said we don't take reservations for outside seating. I did use OpenTable but I saw a review on this site that there was a problem with the reservation, so I called for confirmation. We had to wait about 10 minutes for our tableSpecial Features:
- EddieDined on 8/8/2014We drive from Easton and always love our night out at High Spot.Special Features:
- The following 160 reviews are from the The High Spot reviews archive.
- A dining gemMic172Dined on 7/18/2014This is our fourth time to the High Spot. This time with friends for their first time. We ate outside at the suggestion of the hostess to enjoy the cool evening weather. Our waitress was attentive even though it was busy. The food was terrific as usual with even a vegeterian option for our friend. In addition there was a great selection of beers to pick from. We will definitely return. Happy to see Cambridge Md dining choices continuing to expand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menuJannDined on 7/12/2014At this visit to high spot there was a new menu. Our server was very friendly, attentive and knowledgeable! He recommended menu items and the food was very good - the place busy as usual, and always noisey. Always make reservations to assure a good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2014Another great dinner at the High Spot. Everything was delicious and we received prompt, friendly service. We always enjoy eating here when in Cambridge.Special Features:
- UNFORGETTABLEDrjohn738Dined on 6/22/2014NEVER HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE. THE PRICES ARE AVERAGE. THE SERVICE IS JUST RIGHT. THE FOOD IS GORMET.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oliverDined on 6/21/2014This was the worst steak I've had in a restaurant. Although it was the special, it wasn't inexpensive and was almost all gristle. The waiter never returned to ask about the food. In the past, we have enjoyed the appetizers here, but the entrees usually disappoint, however, this was an all-time low.
- LeejVIPDined on 6/20/2014It was ok, fried chicken good,fish tacos not good,french fries not hotSpecial Features:
- BaypicsDined on 6/14/2014The High Spot is a great Eastern Shore Dining experience. Great local foods, a wonderful variety of local beers and nice town atmosphere.Special Features:
- No record of open table reservationJoJoDined on 6/12/2014I made a reservation through Open table at High Spot in Cambridge, MD. When we arrived at the restaurant there was no record of our reservation. ( see below) Just a reminder, you've got a reservation coming up! The High Spot will be ready for your party of 4 at 6:30 PM on Thursday, June 12, 2014. Confirmation Number: 931169215Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotDCDiningVIPDined on 6/5/2014Very cool gastropub with excellent food. A little gem in Cambridge. Great 'half way point' from DC to the beach.Special Features:
- Worth a visitCapsfanDined on 5/17/2014While spending a night in Cambridge, we decided to have dinner at the High Spot. The food available ranges from Pub food to innovative entrees. My husband had the shepherds pie, which he said surpassed his previous favorite shepherds pie. I had a special of soft shell crab and oysters, which was also very good. The High Spot has a wide range of choices. The noise level is definitely "energetic." It is worth a visit.
- Good spot, poor foodAndreaDined on 5/9/2014Very nice place, probably great for a few Beers and some snacks, but our dinner was poor. Food already cooked and just war ed up.Special Features:
- Appreciated the phone callESfoodieDined on 5/3/2014We contacted the restaurant to see if we could move our reservation up by about an hour. The hostess was very polite and told us there was no availability. About an hour later, she called back and informed us they had a cancellation and could now honor our request. We greatly appreciated the followup.Special Features:
- The High Spot is THE Hot Spot!BuffyVIPDined on 4/26/2014Friendly service, really good food, great beer and mixed drinks. The rock fish and dirty risotto is HIGHLY recommended. We also had the calamari for an appetizer and Cod Fish and Frites. All very, very good! I took a chance on dessert and order what was like a little toffee Bundt cake (I love toffee), but I definitely should have just ordered another cocktail. The cake was hard as a rock and burned on the instead, but the vanilla ice cream was delish. All and all, this place was great, clearly the spot in Cambridge where everyone dines. Don’t forget to make reservations.Special Features:
- Love the High Spot!DiggityDined on 4/24/2014This is a great little Gastropub in the heart of downtown Cambridge. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/24/2014Let's be clear....I love this restaurant....but on this night at this time....the service was not good and actually quite rude....and my food was burnt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter DinnerFamily4Dined on 4/20/2014We took a chance on this gastropub & were pleasantly surprised! They have a loooong beer list & happy hour is all day on Sunday. My family & I dined on the chicken Chesapeake, filet mignon, and bangers with beer cheese & mash...all was exquisite! We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice evening in Cambridge.TERP73Dined on 4/12/2014nice evening in Cambridge. Will let our friends know.Special Features: