The Hickory Lodge
2119 Conowingo Rd
Bel Air, MD 21014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Hickory Lodge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thehickorylodge.com/
- Phone: (410) 838-2240
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from The Hickory Lodge
The Lodge is a rustic retreat with wood beams, stone mantels and a cabin-like ambience that brings warmth and charm to a unique dining experience. It has a family-style atmosphere with outdoor and indoor dining options. The Lodge also has live music on Friday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Hickory Lodge - Best Restaurants in Bel Air ›
The Hickory Lodge reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (14)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (7)great for lunch (6)fit for foodies (6)kid-friendly (6)special occasion (5)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Dissapointed this time3artsbevDined on 9/19/2014Normally everything is excellent. The last visit was rather disappointing and letdown to a friend that I brought with me. We ordered the crab stack appetizer and was please with that but the prime rib was dry and over cooked and way too salty. Our second dish was the seared tuna and that was dried and over cooked. The side of string beans that came with my prime rib were barely steamed enough and I could not chew or eat them. I have usually eaten at The Lodge a few times a month and been quite pleased. In the last two years. I have only been disappointing one other time. This morning, I was due to come there and have brunch but cancelled due to the last visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Construction?BeauDined on 9/16/2014Arrived at restaurant with party of eight, main dining closed due to renovation. No mention of this was made during reservation process or during call to the restaurant to confirm reservations. Had to dine outside (unseasonably cold and windy) so a quiet birthday celebration turned into a noisy sports bar event. Server was more concerned with her quitting time than service to our party. We left early and will NOT return.
- For young crowdsHonestReviewDined on 9/6/2014Went on Sat 9/6 for dinner at 7:30pm, then stayed for the "Country Ladies Night" starting at 9pm. It was way too packed both inside and outside. They need to control the crowd much better. There was even a fight where someone got hit on the head with a beer bottle and there was blood all over the sidewalk that they never cleaned up, I'm not exaggerating. When we left, they were yelling at 1:40an for everyone to go. When we left there were over 10 cops, ambulances; it was nuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jimbVIPDined on 9/6/2014Hickory Lodge is a great place for a casual meal or a night out with friends. The menu has excellent choices and the food is always prepared just right.Special Features:
- InterestingCARANDDWRDined on 8/24/2014Interesting place. Good for family or singles or party scene. Nice to have outside sitting and inside sitting. The kids and adults like the swings. Food good and good value for the dollar. Party of 6 (only one child) had lunch for $115.00 including an appetizer so not bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first timeFirsttimeDined on 8/21/2014Me and my boyfriend had a great first time experience. Our server was Autumn and she was amazing and very tentative. We can't wait to go back and we told all our co workers about the lodge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best steak everOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/7/2014the prime rib was the best steak I have ever have!!!!Special Features:
- Sunday Brunchmbjbride06Dined on 8/3/2014I like the fact that during Sunday brunch you can also order from the menu. The downside of the brunch buffet was that it was all breakfast except 1 soup and Caesar salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 50 reviews are from the The Hickory Lodge reviews archive.
- Hickory LodgeBarryZDined on 7/19/2014Interesting concept, the food was excellent, the service superb, my only complaint is that the smoking area was right outside the entrance, and every time someone went in or out the smoke wafted in and ruined an otherwise excellent meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceWindyDined on 7/19/2014It worked great as a gatherplace for myself and a few friends for lunch. Was quiet enough to hear each other and the food was very good.Special Features:
- Cute rustic settingrhondad715Dined on 7/11/2014The food and service was good. Can dine inside or out. I'm not a fan of country music, but the country band that played Friday night was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014We were seated right away but it went down hill from there. We had to wait for everything. Our server , drinks, food and check. It was almost am hour for our entrees. Ridiculous
- Restaurant DecorGiants50Dined on 6/14/2014The design and decor of this place is amazing. Clean, fun, entertaining! Beautiful atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServicejemzDined on 6/6/2014Food was good, the service was not. Never got appetizer plates or utensils after asking a few times. Appetizer and food came out at the same time. The waitress could care less. Not busy at all when we went for such poor service.Special Features:
- Great Food and Outdoor Diningbohbecca23Dined on 5/31/2014I've been going to The Lodge for years now since it is right near my house - even though I recently moved down to Baltimore. The outdoor dining is great with the fireplace and multiple fire pits. We were there on a Saturday night this past time and although I'm not a fan of country, the music kept the atmosphere outside lively and it got pretty crowded around 10pm. The food is great - I always get the Honey Bear Wrap and a Mojito, highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayNicesurpriseDined on 5/11/2014Food is always great. They had doors open and there was a bird in the restaurant, not cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchRF908Dined on 5/11/2014Have been here in the evening before and enjoyed it, but this was our first time coming here for brunch and I thought it was very good. Food was tasty with plenty of options (including plenty of foods that kids like, which is not always true of buffets) and the price was reasonable. Would not hesitate to come back. Large parties seem to be accommodated well and there was also plenty of outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodalanDined on 5/11/2014second time weve had brunch,food was great and our service was excellant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting PlacefoodRusDined on 4/27/2014As most people said the food was very good, generous portions. We will go back. Take a seat cushion as the wood bench seating in some of the areas are uncomfortable. Otherwise we liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ReviewDinnerfor2Dined on 4/18/2014The crab appetizer was great. However, the "Alpine" steak dinner I ordered for $17.99 was definitely not worth the price. It was a small piece of steak, about the size of your palm, thin and the plate was loaded with Rosemary French fries and no veggies. I would go back again and order a hamburger, which by the way are very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good drinks, good food, fun placeLindaDined on 4/15/2014Fun "lodge-like" atmosphere. Enjoyed being able to swing on the ski lift swings while eating dinner - unique experience. Pleasantly surprised that the food was very good. Great wings! Our waitress was brand new but wonderful. Only suggestion -it's a big building and there are so many doors to get in that they need to mark the entrances better or have a hostess stand on both sides of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably the best place in the areaalanDined on 3/28/2014We were seated at a table for 4 which had a chair lift for two of the seats, something one of our neighoring diners described as disconcerting to sit in, although we had no such issue and it was an interesting and unique touch. The menu has a very appetizing selection making the choice difficult but the wait staff was not pressuring anyone to order. The Rockfish Bites were excellent as an appetizer and perfectly cooked, but the spicy aioli sauce was rather mild. Similarly the Spicy Shrimp and Grits looked excellent but the description of spicy was overstated and the shrimp slightly overcooked. The house flat iron steak called the Hickory was also overcooked as it was ordered medium rare and delivered as medium wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly atmosphere. The maleBooandmeDined on 3/21/2014Friendly atmosphere. The male bartender was awesome . The female bartender was good too but the male went above which was noticed. Smoked Prime Rib was outstanding. Would like to see more craft beer on draft to keep coming back. Had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect dining spotVictoriaDined on 3/16/2014The food is great. The menu is always wonderful. Love the atmosphere. Service is outstanding. Dani is our favorite server. She is incredible and provides the best service. The Lodge is perfect for groups. Definitely my favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/20/2014We had a wonderful lunch and a very nice and informative waitress! The decor made you feel as though you were at the slope which went right along with the weather!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ummm what a nightubetchaDined on 2/16/2014Our appetizers were mozzarella kabobs and nachos- Terrific. A prelude to what was to come. Surf and Turf, Twin Peaks Chicken, Pot Roast and a Prime Rib Dip. There were 4 of us and we sampled each others. Each dish was beautifully presented. The chicken with crab lump over garlic mashed potatoes was my choice and the combination of flavors was wonderful. We finished with coffee and pound cake with berries and chocolate mousse. Although the coffee was a disappointment (we prefer a bolder flavored coffee) the deserts were a perfect finish to the evening. Our server was pleasant and helpful when we asked questions while making our choices. We definitely will be back and I can't wait. We don't have to go to Balto. for great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- didn't read comments on reservationwhomeDined on 2/16/2014During the open table reservation I wrote in the special comments sectiom: booth please and kids menu. That was disregarded. We were placed at a small table so close to the next table my 6 yr old couldnt walk between. And it was the first table next to the door and behind the bar. It looks like a great bar but not kid friendly! Also all three of us were greated by a gush of artic air each time someone walked out of the bar to smoke. To have had reservation requests ignored was very irritating. Service is their business. They should know where to seat a child. Also the food took forever and we were there for 1.5 hrs. Food was good. Waitress was good. Generally NOT an experience I would want to repeat.Special Features:
- Nice surprise!NicesurpriseDined on 2/15/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience at The Lodge! The food was excellent. The only thing I can suggest is that you ask to be seated somewhere that isn't near any outside doors if it is winter time. Every time the door opened (and the place was very busy), you got a draft of cold air. The décor was very interesting and fun. I would and have recommended this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time!ALP23Dined on 2/14/2014Love the atmosphere and the food was amazing! The photo booth with free pictures was a fun touch for valentines day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLooking4goodfoodDined on 2/14/2014I went here for valentines day. They had free long stem roses for their guests. I had there smoked prime rib dinner and it was fantastic. They are a little pricey but the food and atmospher was great.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014Great food. Waitress was extremely helpful in helping us decide what to choose and was very pleasant. Crab spring rolls and mussels definitely exceeded expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceToddDined on 1/30/2014We had a a great time. Food was good and so was the service. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place was a little chilly,roopDined on 1/30/2014The place was a little chilly, although I realize we are in a deep freeze these days, it was drafty. I was totally disappointed I had to pay for bread and butter, that should be a complimentary thing, or not offered at all. The food was good, but my husbands Prime Rib was awfully fatty. Overall, a little pricey, but maybe I would enjoy the brunch or bar food rather than dinner if there is a next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere and good foodBellaDined on 1/28/2014The restaurant has a really nice atmosphere, like a cozy ski lodge. Food portions are good...The French Dip sandwich was really yummySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Lodge is a great placeVictoriaDined on 1/18/2014The food is outstanding, love the décor and atmosphere, service is incredible. Great place to dine and socialize.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good but I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/17/2014The food was good but I had to have them cook my burger a little more. Other than tat we liked it. where they seated us was a little loud cause it was right by the bar but still not too loud. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/7/2014Had the rosemary fries (perfectly crisped, huge portion) and a lobster special with mussels you couldn't beat for the price. Steamed perfectly and less than $20 for a small lobster and a plate of mussels. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive without being obtrusive. Only downside was the hostess. She was short to almost rude, obviously didn't want to be there and couldn't care less if we were there or not. But once we got past her it was a nice experience. We would go back for sure and just ignore the front desk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeJoeMDined on 12/31/2013This was my first time at the place and it was great. Despite every table being filled, the service and food were excellent. The atmosphere was also outstanding, and most importantly, my date was happy when we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, bit pricyhappycampersDined on 12/28/2013The food is great, but it's a bit pricy so we only go on special occasions. I'd like to go more often. Sometimes the young wait staff get caught up in their own whatevers and keep you waiting,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ski Lodge Atmosphere!reviewerDined on 12/28/2013In addition to all the great food selections, the Hickory Lodge Restaurant recreates the atmosphere of a mountain ski lodge. They even have some tables equipped with ski lift chairs that you can swing on while eating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.