The Hermitage Inn
25 Handle Road
West Dover, VT 05356Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Hermitage Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hermitageinn.com/
- Phone: 8024643511
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Paul Eschbach
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Hermitage offers facilities for large and small groups in a superb country inn setting. Weddings, family celebrations, special events, corporate meetings, and large groups up to 200 persons may be accommodated. With the option of several venues to choose from, like hosting your event outdoors or in our exhibition wine cellar, you"re sure to create lasting memories.
- Private Party Contact: Steven Ohern 8024643511
- Entertainment: Live music in our pub Friday & Saturday nights.
- Cross Street: Hermitage Road
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Hermitage offers facilities for large and small groups in a superb country inn setting. Weddings, family celebrations, special events, corporate meetings, and large groups up to 200 persons may be accommodated. With the option of several venues to choose from, like hosting your event outdoors or in our exhibition wine cellar, you’re sure to create lasting memories.
A word from The Hermitage Inn
The Hermitage is a culinary experience to relish, featuring exceptional ingredients in our chef’s savory and refined cuisine. Start your evening with a cocktail in our Pub, where you may enjoy lighter offerings for lunch or dinner. Fine dining in our Main Dining Room provides the foundation for a memorable evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Hermitage Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (8)scenic view (7)notable wine list (7)romantic (5)great for lunch (5)fit for foodies (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (3)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (3)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Excellent Foodllips2091Dined on 7/26/2014I have been many times and the food has been fantastic every time. They pay attention to detail and it pays off. Would recommend highly for anyone looking for great food in the deerfield valley area.Special Features:
- A great pubLuv2dineDined on 7/5/2014My husband and i ate the pub side. The atmosphere is spot on. Great food great music and a wonderful wine cellar.The service that night was a bit off but we have eaten here before and the service was wonderful.Special Features:
- FinallyDiningFoodieVIPDined on 7/4/2014A Mount Snow restaurant worthy to challenge any nationwide 4 star restaurant. The wine list is pricey. The same fine wines we just recently saw/drank in comparable restaurants in Aspen Colorado were 25-30% less in Aspen. Cannot explain why!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the New MenuSundanceDined on 7/3/2014We go to the Hermitage frequently as we have a vacation home nearby. We went here for our anniversary on July 3rd and were happy to see that they changed their menu -- and for the better. What a great upgrade. We had the short ribs and seared tuna and both were very good. It was unusually empty this night which was a little surprise as during the peak winter season, this place can really get busy. It was a really nice dinner in a nice setting. Our only suggestion would be more selection of wine under $100 -- that is available! We find the more reasonable selections are not available which is no surprise when the wine choices quickly get into the $100+ range.Special Features:
- Romantic, Good FoodJBDineVIPDined on 5/30/2014The food was good. It was a little odd that on a Friday night, we were the only ones in the entire restaurant at 7pm. The chairs at the table were a challenge as we sunk far down into them and it made eating a little uncomfortable as we needed to lean forward just to reach the plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Matters at Hermitage InndkefaiaDined on 5/17/2014We have found this Inn to be consistently focused on providing quality dining experiences. Not pretentious, but concerned about service, presentation and ambiance make The Hermitage is the gem of the Deerfield Valley. Our recent visit including the local artisan cheese board and salmon Entres was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 84 reviews are from the The Hermitage Inn reviews archive.
- Same Time Next YearTrishaDined on 3/22/2014We ski at least once a year at Mount Snow and always include a visit to the Hermitage for dinner. We enjoy it so much that usually we stop on our way home to simply Snow Shoe around the property and stop in for a lite lunch or early dinner. This year we arrived during brunch and found it to be fantastic. A visit to the Hermitage is a tradition for us.Special Features:
- Hermitage InnzamboDined on 2/22/2014I last went to the restaurant many year's ago when it was privately owned. I did like the upgrades to the restaurant and the food was very good. However, our waiter was not very professional. We had to ask him if there were any specials. When asked how one dish was prepared, he said he didn't know....we had to ask if he could find out. Not very attentive for a restaurant that is trying to cater to a high level of diners. Fodd came out immediately after the appetizers. Not enough of time in between course. Very noisy with many kids running around as well. Didn't expect that, but assume it is because of the new ownership deal.Special Features:
- Very unorganized slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014My wife and I went for dinner we where seated right away it was all downhill from than on first drink took 20 minutes it was two and a half hours for one app and two dinners and a coffee they screwed up desert We gave the a chance and went back for brunch they took 11 am reservation but weren't ready when we arrived at 10:55 so we sat at the bar for mimosas seated at 11:15 but they weren't ready yet so we sat there till 11:45 than where told it would be 15 to 20 mins why take reservation for 11 and not start til after 12 the sign says Sunday brunch 10:30 til 2:00 $75 per person I would not go back there brunch at White House inn much better
- Great RestaurantJoePDined on 2/15/2014Have eaten here a number of times and absolutely love the food! However, Saturday was a busy busy night and probably explains why our appetizers were served with our dinners :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodroroluvsbillyjDined on 1/19/2014The food was definitely good but we hoped for a bit more variety. Overall, very good though. We will be back, and will recommend to others for sure.
- A very sad dayNoisyVIPDined on 1/18/2014Our family has been going to the Hermitage Inn for dinner for about 4 years. Each time, we have marvelled at the excellent food, gracious welcome and attentive sevice. Not this time. We first had to wait 45 minutes for our table, despite a reservation. The hostesses were not pleasant, would not tell us how much longer we needed to wait and never apologized when we were finally seated. The place was packed, and there were too few servers for everyone there. The food came out willy-nilly, dishes were forgotten, and again, no apologies. Our server tried his best; he explained that the Inn had created a Club, and memebers had flooded the dining room that night. Well, Iam happy they now have a Club, because we will not go back.
- Love this placeMuttDined on 1/12/2014Brunch was awesome! Great combination of healthy and indulgent! The staff is redponsive, accommodating and very friendly . Great way to spend Sunday !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKgcndsDined on 1/1/2014The dining room was huge and vacuous. Could have fit another 5 or more tables in there, which gave it a really empty, sterile feeling despite the pretty fireplace. There weren't that many people there when we went, but I would imagine the noise level would have been pretty loud if it was full. They seem to want the restaurant to be a cross between fine dining and family dining which is understandable given the condo complex environment but if you're looking for a romantic evening, it's confusing. The food was good. A little salty. But the prices wee ridiculous. I will say that the one silver lining was that my husband ordered a single malt scotch and the serving they gave him was very generous.Special Features:
- Not a museum at allpinkyDined on 12/25/2013Lovely spot for those in the area. Can be intimate if seated next to the fireplace in lovely enveloping chairs. Can also be good for a family where tables can be made up for larger groups. Food is very nice. Venison bolognase was quite tasty scallop appetizer also recommended. My dining companions also enjoyed their meal. The wine list is extensive be prepared to spend more than a minute making your selection. Very scenic country inn with your expected Vermont surroundings.Special Features:
- New chef is greatFoodiesDined on 12/20/2013We have always enjoyed dinning at the Hermitage inn and now there is a new chef who we think is better than the previous chef. Menu is a little lighter (not so many exotic meats) which we prefer. We had a group of 5 and we all agreed the food was great. Service on the other hand needs works. One nice new perk is the valet one suggestion would be to add an ability to request car while still inside so people don't have to go into the cold to ask for carSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Vermont Country InnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/20/2013I've enjoyed the Hermitage throughout ski season for the past 25 years and thru 3 owners and it has always satisfied. the food is very good and the service is excellent. It has both a pub area and fine dining area, both with their own menus and a superb wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fine diningbbassoonDined on 12/17/2013On a snowy winter day we arrived at the picturesque covered bridge for my husband's 57th birthday. The Inn and Dining room were warm and inviting. The menu is small but had enough variety to satisfy a picky college student, an adventurous carnivore, and myself - a vegetarian. We started off with a cheese plate with local cheeses, all varied from each other and had distinct tastes. It was enough for 3 of us with some to take home! My entree was an imaginative quinoa stuffed squash that I enjoyed because of the addition of a tasty sauce and cranberries studding the stuffing. My daughter liked the venison over pasta and my husband liked the quail. All said, it was expensive, but we desired a special experience and the Hermitage delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time trylenemachineDined on 12/14/2013the setting was lovely but the food was disappointing...some things like the roasted sprout salad was yummy but the butternut squash soup was reminicent of babyfood. the wine pour was small for the price. since we will be in vt everyweekend thruout the season, we will try it again and definitely want to check out the bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchgrownupVIPDined on 12/8/2013The Hermitage is a beautiful Inn with excellent service and well prepared food. The views were spectacular on a snowy Sunday morning. Love their bloody marys. My only complaint was that their website said the brunch was one price but when we arrived the price for brunch was almost 20% more. A little expensive for what you received.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving Dinnermcbig4Dined on 11/28/2013My daughters and I ateThanksgiving dinner at the Hermitage, a meal that rarely shows off the chef's skills. The butternut squash bisque was the highlight of the meal: delicate flavor and beautifully presented. The second course, the arugula salad was very good. Too often arugula is bitter but this had a lovely nutty flavor. I do not recall the dressing but it was flavorful without being overwhelming . The dinner was okay. Turkey is turkey. The whipped sweet potatoes were the best part of the dinner. The gravy had a very subtle peppery flavor. The dessert was okay but it did not go beyond that. The meal was traditional but we would have enjoyed a meal that highlighted the chef's abilities more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getaway WeekendRJlax20Dined on 10/26/2013The place was great. Went with friends after proposing to my now Fiancée and the staff was awesome and treated us right. Great food and awesome wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The room is elegant, the foodRichardDined on 10/11/2013The room is elegant, the food was quite good, with fresh ingredients. I was disapponted that a poached lobster on rissoto came without rissoto; when I told our server, he said they weren't doing it with rissoto. I told him that's what the menu said, he laughed and said rissoto should have been in quotes, which made no sense to me. Grudgingly, he did take it back to the kitchen and returned with some fettucine, but the fettucini was bland. Fortunately, when i told the hostess, she was very apologetic, and ended up giving me a partial credit on my bill, and otherwise, the food and service were great, with a very good and reasonably priced winelist, but this problem with my dish is not something that should happen in a high class restaurant..Special Features:
- Lovely Vermont Inn with aBrenVIPDined on 9/28/2013Lovely Vermont Inn with a great dining room. The menu could be more varied. An enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect late summer weekendChristineDined on 8/24/2013The Hermitage is the quintessential New England inn with every comfort, beautiful gardens with spectacular views and a lovely restaurant. There's formal dining and a less formal pub with a beautiful veranda for dining al fresco or sitting around a campfire in the evening. The service is impeccable - any need is anticipated and all questions responded to promptly by a young, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful year round!KayergeauDined on 8/17/2013Never hesitate to drop in here, always beautiful and great and folks there year round!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vermont Dining ExperienceWendyDined on 8/16/2013A real gem. Wonderful setting, great service and outstanding food. Clearly the best restaurant we have dined in in VT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining in Southern VermontBookieVIPDined on 8/12/2013Not a lot of fine dining in that part of Vermont, so we were looking forward to our meal. It was good enough, but overreaching: kitchen executed well, but put elements together that did not add much to each other. The substitute plating for the poached egg app sounded promising, but didn't quite work. Pheasant was well cooked, but mains were accompanied by some standard-issue sides. Our other apps and mains were good but not as fabulous as the lovely dining room warranted. Service had glitches: busser whisked away one plate before we were both done, and we had to ask for flatware. Server was surprised we had come from nearby town; not a place where "locals" go, more for the condo owners. Disappointing to a big-city diner.Special Features:
- So glad it is here.foodiefamilyDined on 6/17/2013We are all so glad to have this place so near our home. Whenever we want to treat ourselves to an outstanding meal this is the place we go. The staff are just a wonderful as the food, and the dining rooms are luxurious, yet comfortable. See you there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of StuffyLbhindelVIPDined on 6/1/2013We had a party of 6 drive about an hour to celebrate college graduation here. They made no special effort to do anything nice for our graduates. The food was good, pretty pricey, and overall not special. My medium rare steak was overlooked. There was no bread offered and the place was pretty empty on a Sat night.Special Features:
- The Hermitage Inn had muchOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/30/2013The Hermitage Inn had much New England charm in its tastefully subdued dining room. The wait staff was cordial and efficient. The Island Creek oysters on the half shell and the salmon entree with asparagus, potato and mushrooms were very good and served with an elegant yet understated presentation. The maple walnut ice cream was a treat. My only wish was that more bread had been served to take advantage of the very creamy and soft churned butter; one slice of bread was a little too parsimonious.Special Features:
- Amazing Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/16/2013I've been to dinner at the Hermitage Inn in Dover, Vermont several times in the past but this was one of the most memorable. The chicken, andouille and shrimp gumbo was spicy and excellent in a rich broth. The seafood stew contained lots of fresh fish in a light saffron tomato broth all served over homemade fettucini. The saffron garlic aioli crostini was the perfect accompaniment and ready made for dipping. The sommelier helped us pick a spanish Laxas Albariño to complement the meal. For dessert try the rum raisin bread pudding. The maple walnut ice cream was one of the best I have ever eaten. The service was attentive and professional. In short, an amazing meal in a relaxing country inn setting.Special Features:
- It's been a year or two sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/9/2013It's been a year or two since we had been to the Hermitage and I'd still use excellence to describe the experience. Vermont Charm atmosphere and the service is attentive and friendly. The tasty Venison Bolognese was a big hit along with Rum Raisin Bread Pudding. I'm looking forward to the next visit.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our evening dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2013Enjoyed our evening dinner at the Inn. Our server Lisa was attentive without being over-attentive, and she was very pleasant and helpful in explaining the menu dishes to us. The food was fabulous, from appetizers through the entrees. If in the Mt. Snow or Haystack area, come for a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemfoodiefamilyDined on 3/8/2013Every time we have a meal here we are so thankful that it is right here in our backyard and we can go anytime we want. The place is beautiful, the staff a delight, the food is always delectable, and the wine divine! If you are looking for the quality of chain restaurants this place is likely over your head - no mass produced, prepackaged or frozen foods offered here. If you are open to high quality food prepared by a sophisticated and educated team of culinarians then this is the place for you! See you there.Special Features:
- Not our first time to HermitageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013Not our first time to Hermitage Inn, and it will not be our last. Always a delightful experience. A group of 8 on a Saturday night, great food, service and ambiance. The chilled oysters are always a favorite. I highly recommend lunch or dinner at this beautiful Country Inn.Special Features:
- excellent inn. everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/1/2013excellent inn. everything we did was very enjoyable. the food was awsomeSpecial Features:
- Let down.grownupVIPDined on 2/1/2013Very dissapointed in our last visit. The food was not up to it's it's previous standards.
- Great for a special nightPaoloVIPDined on 1/2/2013Excellent in all aspects. I went for a special date with my 12 years old daughter and she was pleased as well. The food was delicious and wine choiches adequate, though if you are a scotch drinker do not expect a big selection (after all we are in Mount Snow). Tables are widely set apart so no interference with other patrons, which (particularly for a new yorker) is definitely a plus. Will be back!Special Features:
- New Year's CrashOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012I have eaten at The Hermitage multiple times over the years...and generally have been satisified....but not this time.... This year I attended the New Year's Eve dinner.....the cost was $190 per person....so $500 per couple (excluding liquor), dinner and music from 9 - 12.......should have realized in advance, but it was an absolutely awful value equation..... - food was average at best, very small portions and no variety...a set menu that they said they'd send to me in advance via email and never did...we were all hungry - no drinks were included - music was fine, 2 musicians at end of room and a few folks went dancing In the end, felt like a pure money grab capitalizing on the season.....I expected alot more from these folks...Special Features: