The Herb Box - Old Town
7134 E Stetson Dr
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Herb Box - Old Town
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theherbbox.com/
- Phone: 4802896160x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 9:00am - 4:00pm,
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, Vegetarian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Becky Windels
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Katia Bruening 4802896160x
A word from The Herb Box - Old Town
The Herb Box is powered by duo co-owners Susan Smederovac-Wilcox and Chef Becky J. Windels. Their approach can be summed up in three words: Innovative World Creations. Always on the lookout for the new, Chef Becky seems to be driven by the joy of daily epiphanies. Endless new recipes come from taking what is freshest at the farm stand and being open-minded enough to having an idea drive her in the kitchen. The breakfast, lunch and dinner menus are vast and varied, ensuring an entrée for every palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Herb Box - Old Town - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
The Herb Box - Old Town reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (26)fit for foodies (23)great for brunch (17)great for outdoor dining (15)special occasion (13)good for groups (12)neighborhood gem (10)romantic (5)scenic view (4)hot spot (4)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014This was our first dining experience at The Herb Box. There were six of us, two of whom are vegetarian. The food was wonderful: - creatively presented and delicious. There were several excellent vegetarian choices so everyone was happy. Our server had perfect timing - seeing to our needs without hovering - and was very knowledgeable about the menu. It was a lovely dining experience and we shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Herb Box is a treat!AZnativeluvsfoodDined on 9/2/2014The food is unique and amazing! The tea refreshing, the location perfect. And their market is perfect for grab and go goodness! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with Birthday GalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Lunch was wonderful. Wait Staff Great and they surprised my "Birthday Friend" with a nice piece of cake. That was lovely and good too!Special Features:
- A refreshing find in Old ScottsdaleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014The chef does amazing things with veggies! But it is definitely not just for vegetarians or vegans as there is a wonderful array of choices. BUT, I was so impressed with how she prepared the vegetarian options especially the Thai encrusted cauliflower. My husband had the steak salad option and I had the shrimp salad option with Serrano. YUM! Check out the menu. Plus we had a great bottle of wine which was reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Nice timeStaycationerDined on 8/9/2014Place was very nice, prices are a little too high, but that's the area. Great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceMarylinDined on 8/2/2014We arrived for our late lunch and we were in luck, it was happy hour. Our group consisted of 4 people so we ordered one of everything. We were happy to have some of our favorites and to try some new items. The waiter was great. There were no blue cheese stuffed olives so he made them for those in our party who wanted martinis! Nice touch. The food was excellent as always. We will always recommend The Herb Box.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice experienceladymaeVIPDined on 7/22/2014We did the passport menu, which was Argentina that night. We enjoyed all three courses and the wine.Special Features:
- Menu SurprisesNeighborDined on 7/19/2014The menu at The Herb Box is unorthodox. One of my friends said he didn't know if he could find anything he recognized to order! But, he did and we did, and the food was excellent. The bartender doubled as our waiter and he made terrific recommendations and steered us to a great dinner.Special Features:
- Nice suppersandDined on 7/17/2014Excellent experience. Really like the modern, relaxed decor. Server was attentive and enthusiastic. Food was tasty and presented well, creative menu, flavorful and imaginative. Desserts were a little pricey: the crack pie was really good, the bread pudding on the dry side. We will definitely go back again.
- natural foodCathyVIPDined on 7/15/2014Enjoyed dinner at the Herb Box. I had the Korean Bar-b-que ribs. They were delicious and fell off the bone. My husband had the kolbi burger. It was delicious too. We also had an appetizer. It was Crab dip with fried banana chips It was good also but I had a difficult time getting used to cold crab dip. I am used to warm. Our waiter was friendly and helpful in making our selections. He was also mindful of a large group and moved us away from them so all could enjoy dinner. We would defiantly go back to try other items on the menu.Special Features:
- My first poor review....bripad24VIPDined on 6/28/2014As an avid diner I am always interested in trying new places and for the first time on open table I have to say we were very disappointed in our experience. The first impression was what was most disappointing in the hostess had absolutely zero personality and was put out that we had even showed up. She sat us down and unhappily dropped our menus and never said another word to us. Our server was good, but the place was not busy and the attention to detail was just mediocre. Drinks came out late, food was late and we felt like we were a burden. As Foodies We expect to have quality service and a memorable experience and this place just totally lacked that but maybe thats the way they do it???? Food was pretty good but the service ruined it.
- PattyDined on 6/20/2014Server wasn't up to standard of the food. The chicken in my sunflower salad was from dry from overcooking. I hope they're not slipping, as I have always enjoyed both locations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014Cute and casual. Great food and drinks. We had excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dw04Dined on 6/15/2014Great food and service! Specialty drinks a bit high priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully Refreshing!FoodieVIPDined on 6/14/2014Tasteful, fresh ingredients. Refreshing salads - some large. There were two of us so we shared an appy, salad and entrees. Short rib tacos were exceptionally delicious.Special Features:
- SandyBadultdinerDined on 6/10/2014This is the second time in one week I dined at The Herb Box. Food was so good that I brought another friend for the experience. Travel here on business twice a month and love the ambience at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Awesome food excellent atmosphereluv2dineDined on 6/6/2014The food was excellent and the patio is beautiful. I would return and like to try brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic settinglive2eatVIPDined on 5/24/2014Food, service and setting was fabulous! We ate outside on the patio. Live entertainment was awesome! The Korean glazed cauliflower was excellent! Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- LOVECaiterVIPDined on 5/23/2014Such an eclectic dinner menu. So many combinations of foods that i've never had and loved! If you are looking for something different and delicious, go here. Must be open to unique tastes : )Special Features:
- The following 101 reviews are from the The Herb Box - Old Town reviews archive.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014Great! Quaint! Will definitely return!! Great for a romantic evening. Nice patio. Ambiance is beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday GalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014We were celebrating a friend's 50th birthday. We made reservations online and were seated promptly on the outdoor patio. What a beautiful setting! Our server was prompt and informative without being intrusive. The food was outstanding. We tried soups, salads, sweet potato enchiladas and sweet potato tacos. Everything was prepared to perfection with fresh, flavorful ingredients. We spent quite a bit of time at our table but never felt rushed. Such a positive experience that we will put the Herb Box at the top of our lunch spots.Special Features:
- Everyone was right!foodie4sureDined on 5/12/2014I'd heard about this on my frequent trips to Scottsdale, and finally got to eat here this visit. It's as wonderful as everyone says. The mac and cheese is something I'm still dreaming about! Love the menu...such interesting and well put together choices. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Hidden Treasure - Great Atmosphere!Time4TimeDined on 5/12/2014Being able to spend time with someone over a meal is a privledge!! The Herb Box was the perfect place to spend that time! The atmosphere, service and food at the Herb Box were excellent. We sat on the shaded, quiet, peaceful patio a feet from the water. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating. We did not feel rushed or ignored. The menu offers a range of fresh. healthy options for the health conscious and those tagging along (me). The food was excellent! *Try the fingerling potatoes* Coming to realize how much the WHOLE dining experience impacts the quality of time spent with others, I'm looking for new unique places to share a meal. I used the ratings and reviews on Yelp to find The Herb Box. Great Choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good with a few issuesSushiloverDined on 5/11/2014The Herb Box closes at 4 on Sundays. Since we were dining on Mother's Day we wanted a lunner so made a reservation at 3:45 online. When we arrived we learned that they really don't want to seat you at that time and the kitchen was about to close so we were very rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice area. Sad service.DisappointedDined on 5/11/2014Came for the first time on M's Day as the items on the menu sounded good. They were out of the buckwheat pancakes, but didn't let us know until after we had ordered. The waitress recommended a starter which none of us liked or finished eating. The plates were all still full. When she asked about it we told her that none of us cared for it. There was no apology, no offer of a replacement, no manager came to discuss it with us, and did not bother to remove it from our bill. A couple of the orders were wrong as though she was not really listening to us. It was disappointing.Special Features:
- hurry up and eatdinner4twoDined on 5/11/2014I made reservations on OpenTable and requested outside sitting. When we got there, they told us the patio was filled. There were many empty tables. We were seated inside. When we asked for water, the waitress told us they were out of water glasses, and we would have to wait to get water. We ordered wine and iced tea. Why would you not use those glasses for water too? The menu was limited because it was Sunday. After we ate, we were sitting and waiting for the bill. There were several empty tables and booths around us, but the waitress came over and told us to hurry up because they needed to use our table. I have never been pushed out of a restaurant. It was disappointing experience.
- DisappointedKarmafoodieDined on 5/11/2014We had heard wonderful things about the Herb Box and decided to go for Mother's Day Brunch. We were not happy. To start with it took us having to ask our waitress three times to bring water, with ice, to our son. We waited a long time for our food to come out even though the restaurant was not crowded. The table next to us, who arrived after us and was a large party, received their food before we did. There were four in our party but only three who were eating. Once our food arrived our food was barley warm. My husband, who had ordered their version of a BLT, received a sandwich which he couldn't even tell had pancetta included. The who experience let us much lighter in the wallet and still hungry. Also, there was no dessert options.
- MediocreBeach50Dined on 5/11/2014I have been to the Herb Box a few times and am always intrigued by the interesting menu. I had been there for lunch until my last visit, which was Mother's Day brunch. The menu was still interesting and the ambiance is really nice, especially sitting outside on a beautiful day. The food was not very good, however. I had a brussell sprout hash and cheese omelet. It was overdone, I could not detect the cheese, and the "brussell sprout hash" consisted of a few sprinkles of leaves on top the omelet. My mom & cousin ordered the baked egg special. I could hardly watch my cousin eat her half cooked eggs. It was egg soup, but she would never complain. Another oddity was the plastic herb centerpiece on the table. Really? Plastic? Disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED this placeFussyfussyfoodieDined on 5/4/2014The herb box is phenomenal! Lovely patio close to the canal....their market next door is fabulous. Everything we tried was delicious, there were so many fantastic sounding items it was very difficult to choose. We ate out twice a day for a full week while here, and the herb box definitely was in out top 3 picks!Special Features:
- HorridBadbadplaceVIPDined on 5/3/2014Please, do not bother. You will be so disappointed- service is awful awful awful- this place should not be in business - I have never dined in place with less concern for providing a good dining experience. Food is reasonable, but the service is so horrid it is not worth it. I will never dine here again....they just don't care
- Always Great Food!RobertDined on 5/2/2014This was our third time there. Discovered during Restaurant Week. We selected it because of their vegetarian options. Great food with very friendly staff. It is also easy to visit and have a conversation. They also have a nice place to sit out and conveniently located in Old Town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findQuietDineDined on 5/2/2014We went to The Herb Box based on reviews in Open Table - the restaurant lived up to the positive reviews! One thing that a bit bothersome was the loudness if the music. We were sitting rather far away and could still not hear each other. Our waiter was informative and shared a great deal about the menu which helped us decide on our meals. Cocktails were also tasty! We'd go again & bring our Vegan friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss The Herb Box!MViscontiVIPDined on 4/30/2014We came upon the Herb Box on our trip to Scottsdale in March and I made a point of dining here again. We were not disappointed and I will return! The Avocado Love was again fabulous, as was the flatbread with Gorgonzola cheese and pears, topped with an arugula salad. Our salmon entree was superb. And, once again, the wait staff was very helpful and attentive. The ambience is perfect.Special Features:
- Creative menuYumasterDined on 4/30/2014While the menu described food beautifully, the taste didn't quite match. For the prices, there was no offering of bread to go with the salads. Food was kind of bland. Great place for lunch and the wraps and tacos/enchilada's are a better choice. Very nice staff and wonderful location.Special Features:
- TabbyVIPDined on 4/30/2014DELICIOUS!!!!! I'm a foodie and this restaurant was quite exceptional. Even the iced tea was tasty. Its definitely my new, go to spot.Special Features:
- Favorite place in PhoenixMamaZDined on 4/25/2014We have eaten here several times in the past couple of years, at both locations, and find the food to be fabulous. The downtown location has nice outdoor seating along the canal, creating a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Do we need to tip hostess for seatsVictoireVIPDined on 4/21/2014We requested outdoor seating. The hostess seated us under a mister, where our table and menus were already wet when we got there. We asked to be moved....she did not like that idea, as this time she seated us directly in the hot sun. There were plenty of seats to choose from, as it was not busy. We waited until our waiter arrived, and asked him where his other tables were, so we could sit in the shade, but not get wet. I hope they have fixed one of the arm rails getting up the steps to the restaurant, as it was loose and I could have fallen.
- Great food, but...markcDined on 4/19/2014We used to go to The Herb Box regularly but this is the first time in a year. Nothing changed. Distinctive, high quality food and inexplicably inconsistent service. This time it was a long delay on the appetizers and then delivering the main courses about 2 minutes later. We finished one of the appetizers AFTER our main courses. The last time we were there a year ago the service was so bad they gave us both main courses free.Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/19/2014Herb Box is one of our favorite restaurants. Their food is so well cooked and full of flavor. Their service is always excellent, the only reason I gave them 3 stars is this was the first time we ever had a bad waiter there. Otherwise it would have been 5 stars.Special Features:
- The Herb Box is a treat!vonnieVIPDined on 4/19/2014This is my second visit to the restaurant and I am wondering why I don't eat here every day ;-) We sat outside as the weather was perfect for dining al fresco and people watching. A friend and I went for lunch and did the shared plates=Chef's Mezze Board and the Crisp Falafel Bites + Tahini Yogurt + tomatoes, olives, feta. It was the best falafel I've ever had, perfectly cooked and seasoned. All the chef's selections were excellent. We splurged and had the flourless chocolate cake=amazing! My friend is a pastry chef and he said it was perfectly made. I enjoyed the raspberry sorbet that came with the cake. Will be back soon.Special Features: