The Herb Box - DC Ranch
20707 N Pima Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85255Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Herb Box - DC Ranch
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theherbbox.com/
- Phone: 4802896180x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am- 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Becky J. Windels
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Herb Box menu style combines all the essential elements that magnify an original idea taken to it limits by blending creativity with consistency. We take pride in our ability to offer a wide range of culinary creations with an emphasis on quality and visual excitement.
An “event” doesn’t necessarily mean hundreds of guests. Whether you’re thinking about a sit-down dinner for 12, wine-tasting for 20, a sexy cocktail party for 50, a fundraiser for 1000 or a casual evening with family and friends.
- Private Party Contact: Katia Bruening 4809988355x
A word from The Herb Box - DC Ranch
The Herb Box is powered by duo co-owners Susan Smederovac-Wilcox and Chef Becky J. Windels. Their approach can be summed up in three words: Innovative World Creations. Always on the look out for the new, Chef Becky seems to be driven by the joy of daily epiphanies. Endless new recipes come from taking what is freshest at the farm stand and being open-minded enough to having an idea drive her in the kitchen. The breakfast, lunch and dinner menus are vast and varied, ensuring an entrée for every palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Herb Box - DC Ranch reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (12)great for outdoor dining (11)great for brunch (11)great for lunch (10)romantic (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always a Great Place to GoTravel4FoodVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great food, Great Service and a nice outdoors patios - what else do you need ?Special Features:
- Great local restaurantStockladyVIPDined on 8/12/2014An overall great neighborhood restaurant. Menu changes frequently. Food is organic, fresh, local, very flavorful. Service is quick. Waitstaff is always friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Excellent food, drink and service! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a good brunch in a very nice setting!Special Features:
- Good foodAnnhVIPDined on 8/6/2014It is close to where we live and very convenient. Last two times we have been there with reservations they have cancelled our reservation after we arrived so a hassle to get points for our reservations. The food is good and nice service.Special Features:
- Really goodGreatVIPDined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed the food again and every time we go to Scottsdale we make a trip for lunch or dinner. Service is great and the atmosphere is really good. We enjoy the twist they make on favoritesSpecial Features:
- Awesome saladsBaw0929VIPDined on 7/29/2014This was my 3rd visit to the Herb Box. The food is consistently good and very fresh. Several unique combinations are included on the menu in addition to some standard fare, so there's something for everyone. Service was prompt and friendly. Only negative is the price. For our party of 4 lunch/tip totaled $90 and all we had was salad and diet soda.Special Features:
- Inviting and Open RestaurantBryanDDined on 7/23/2014I met with customers at this location. Great food and plenty of room to discuss business as well as anything casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good fresh foodChrisVIPDined on 7/19/2014They really try to use the freshest local produce and prepare it in a tasty but not overwhelming fashion. The Salmon is outstanding, and my hsb was very happy with his burger. Desserts are sinfully good.Special Features:
- Not the usual great experiencePhxjaneVIPDined on 7/19/2014Maybe it's summertime, and the laid-back attitude came on a little strong for our waitress. She seemed a little annoyed that we wanted to visit and catch up with our friends, and didn't order immediately... the menu has changed a bit, and nothing really jumped off the page at us. Living very nearby, we like to patronize the local restaurants, and there's not many to choose from. Will try the Herb Box again & hope for a happier time!
- Love this spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/6/2014Great service, food, everything. I had a reservation originally for 15 which they made happen very easily, unfortunately my group dwindled down to only 6 and they were still very accommodating and didn't make it an issue. Service, food, location, everything was great. One of the managers (I think he was, anyways - all the servers and other people seemed to know him) offered free cake pops to the twin toddlers we had with us which was very sweet. Definitely will return, thanks again! :-)Special Features:
- CiaBellaVIPDined on 7/5/2014Very good food and service! Great place for breakfast,lunch and dinner. Always very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudyKDined on 5/8/2014Ours was a "work" group gathering and we wanted it to be fun but also "low key". It met all of our expectations. I will definitely recommend this location to friends and consider it for future events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 73 reviews are from the The Herb Box - DC Ranch reviews archive.
- NOT ACCEPTABLECMCHDined on 4/20/2014this was the second Easter that I have made a reservation two weeks in advance, and made to wait twenty minutes. They said that our table was still in use after two hours and we would have to wait for the group to vacate the table. The waitress do not offer any alternative. The manager agreed that there is a problem at that H.B. The food was not as good as usual and the waitress was not friendly, once we got seated. We had to request catsup for a burger that was not delivered until half the burger was consumed.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch WinnerDigsAZDined on 4/20/2014Went to the Herb Box for Easter Brunch and it was a pleasant surprise - the food was excellent and the service was great. Try the Red Velvet Pancakes! Also has a wide selection of gluten-free options. Color me impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinnerOpenTableBDFVIPDined on 3/7/2014Sat outside and enjoyed the fresh ingredients, the wine and the weather !Special Features:
- LOVEOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/21/2014The food is fresh, healthful and delicious with options for all kinds of eaters, including those with allergies and dietary restrictions. The patio is fabulous! The service is excellent. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too slowCowpokeVIPDined on 2/15/2014First, the good: Food was excellent, entertainer was great, the evening was beautiful and dining on the deck was as good as we could have hoped for. Now for the service: I had read from other reviews that service was slow so we ordered our entries immediately upon giving our drink order. Our dinner finally arrived one hour later. We ordered sauces on the side and the dishes came with out the sauces. It took fifteen more minutes to get the sauces. The waitress was truly apologetic, But? We have always enjoyed the Herb Box, but had only been there for lunch. We may --or probably not -- return for lunch, but not ever again for dinner. So, wonderful food, location, ambience. Order immediately, and expect a long wait to be served.Special Features:
- Excellent meal!ScottsdaleNikkiDined on 2/14/2014Great restaurant for a special occasion, delicious meal and excellent wine. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live music too loud; terriblemisspickyVIPDined on 2/13/2014Live music too loud; terrible wait staff. Uneven timing of food. Food was good. Won't rush back
- BD LunchcaboDined on 2/7/20143 of us had different salads for lunch...none of us cared for them. The salad that was supposed to have bacon in it, had pieces smaller than bacon bits..hard to see with the naked eye. The dressing (avocado) had no flavor at all. The fourth member of the party had a flatbread selection and she said it was good. I think we all expected a bit more flavor as usually fresh herbs and greens tend to be more flavorful. Can't say I would go back . Please note one of the members of our party is a vegetarian and was not impressed as well.Special Features:
- Great Food, but best for OutdoorMikeDined on 2/1/2014The food is consistently great, the service is too, but it is best for outdoor dining on a nice day. Indoors you can get seated in uncomfortable spots, like we did this time. It was too cold to be outside. I'll keep going back, but much prefer to be outdoors.Special Features:
- Excited to returnLuvdatenightsDined on 1/31/2014We were seated promptly but didn't see our waitress until after we received waters and were asked if someone had been by. This was more than maybe 8-10 minutes which seemed unusual and was likely just a fluke. It was busy with live music in bar area but not too loud. The waitress did recommend a wine to my husband b/c they were out of the kind he prefers and he was pleased with the choice. The cheese plate, pork tenderloin and dessert were all amazing! We are excited to return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfied GuestsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2014Six of us dined on a Friday night. We had to wait a few minutes for our table to be ready, but were soon seated. We'd had appetizers before arriving, so we wanted to dive right into dinner. Three of us had the Thai Baby Back Ribs, 1 ordered the Short Ribs, 1 had the Enchilada, and 1 had a flat bread pizza. Everyone was more than pleased with the entrees. The apple slaw and macaroni that accompany the Thai ribs were wonderful too. This restaurant has a charming ambiance. There was live music, a guitar player/singer who provided a nice background - not to loud from where we sat. This is our third dinner experience at the Herb Box and we'll continue to return and take guests.Special Features:
- Very nice neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/16/2014The food was good the decor was beautiful but the lighting was to low. There were a few tables with a little more lighting so request those if you don't want to take your phone out to read your menu. It wasn't just me but my friend thought so too and we aren't old enough to not read menus yet. Great little place other than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the same old same old menu.Slid2astopDined on 1/10/2014Great menu selection! Great service including David the manager, super friendly atmosphere! Amazing food choices! Will definitely return when I'm back in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Food; Bland ServiceHoustonEatsVIPDined on 1/3/2014Menu is fantastic with lots of choices, many of which are uber-healthy. Something for everyone. Atmosphere is comfortable and casual but nice. There are some incongruities such as plastic "herbs" on the tables with fake votive candles and service that was not up to snuff. Our server was late greeting us, then established an appropriate pace until after dinner when she seemed to have forgotten about us. We wanted dessert and coffee but we couldn't get her attention away from her coworkers. We left without the desired dessert and uncertainty about whether or not we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's DayirishgirlDined on 1/1/2014We made a reservation and were seated right away. The restaurant was very busy. Our food took a while to be delivered but when it finally came it was delicious. I will definitely go back. I think the restaurant was having an off day with the holiday and all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!MamoeDined on 12/29/2013We love the Herb Box for Sunday Brunch!! Took our company there and we all enjoyed a great meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceAimeratorDined on 12/28/2013Took my sister and brother-in-law there for a great dinner before they left town for a special send-off. The menu options were creative, scrumptious and beautifully presented. They had live music which was so awesome and not too loud. The atmosphere is hip and chill -very comfortable and our server was attentive but not intrusive. Loved loved loved it and will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantDrliciousVIPDined on 12/14/2013Great food and service every time I visit herb box -creative menu and always deliciousSpecial Features:
- OK, but not GreatPJboVIPDined on 12/11/2013We have dined at teh Scottsdale location several times and have always been pleased. This was our first visit to the DC ranch location and we were quite disappointed. First off, tables and chairs were uncomfortable. However the dealbreaker was the food. My husband ordered the kobe beef burger with a side of brussel sprouts (the only alternative to fries offered). The burger was completely flavorless and overcooked and the brussel sprouts were also overcooked and mushy. I ordered the brussel sprout and panchetta flatbread which was OK but quite salty. Fortunately I like salty so was able to eat it, but most people probably wouldn't have been able to tolerate the salt level. So if we go back at all it wlll be to the Scottsdale location.
- Fresh and flavorfull food.ChrisVIPDined on 12/7/2013Very fresh, local when available. Great flatbread and well prepared main dishes, interesting sides.Special Features:
- We had a really special meal.RitaDined on 12/6/2013We had a really special meal. Creative and fresh with a really nice presentation. And a nice bottle of wine made the evening a pleasure. Would go back in a heartbeat!fSpecial Features:
- Pleasant dining experience.Guy1000VIPDined on 12/6/2013Pleasant dining experience. Casual but good food, very friendly to non-meat eaters.Special Features:
- CuteFoodieDined on 11/23/2013Cute little place, lots of character, and really tasty dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceWclarkctDined on 11/8/2013We are renting a place down the road and were looking for someplace where we could get something interesting along with a nice glass of wine. The restaurant is set in one of the loveliest neighborhood centers anywhere, with an overall style that I would call rustic contemporary. We started with cilantro lime crab dip and plantain chips - awesome! My wife had baby back ribs that were memorable and my salmon was perfect with a not too sweet glaze. Nice selection of wines by the glass along with some interesting cocktails. Outdoor seating is available on a pretty deck. The bar scene is convivial with the majority being Boomers. We will definitely go back, which is probably the highest praise with so many choices for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Organic & tasty & trendy, oh my!SallyIssaquahDined on 11/7/2013FIrst time tried with a neighbor pal after I saw a positive spread in our local paper. She ordered the short rib tacos, I got blackened salmon BLT with house made large ribbon sweet potato chips - both awesome. Just the service was slow and erratic; we had 3 different servers introduce themselves, took their sweet time about even getting water and menus to the table, and it was not half full at 12:15 yet, so, I'm just saying. What up with that? Otherwise, we will return, with more friends. Nice the patio is covered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shower BrunchbetterthanthanthenormDined on 11/2/2013Their were 6 plus an infant. The food was delicious, atmosphere perfect and serivce was great. Oh the desserts were heavenly!! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is always too slowDCRanchresidentVIPDined on 11/1/2013It is a shame, because this could be a great restaurant. The service is always too slow and don't bother getting drinks unless you want to wait until after your dinner gets there!! Hire another bartender or two...Special Features:
- Delicious Celebration DinnergirlsnightoutDined on 10/28/2013I took a girlfriend out to celebrate her bithday and we had a wonderful experience at The Herb Box. It was both our first time dining here and it was a perfect spot for a girls' night out. The food has so many unique combinations and it was all delicious. We shared the haloumi with peaches, crab dip, thai ribs and for dessert chocolate creme brulee and peach bread pudding. The only dish were weren't wild about was the bread pudding. It was a little too dense and dry and didn't have much peach flavor or a fabulous sauce to accompany it. Other than that, the ambiance, service and dining was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.