The Helmand Restaurant
806 N Charles St
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AfghanPrice: $30 and under
The Helmand Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.helmand.com/
- Phone: 4107520311x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afghan, Vegetarian / Vegan, Middle Eastern
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Helmand Restaurant
Providing fine Afghan cuisine for 25 years in BaltimoreContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Helmand Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
The Helmand Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (132)neighborhood gem (119)special occasion (83)good for groups (66)romantic (65)notable wine list (18)hot spot (14)great for lunch (8)late-night find (7)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Wonderful FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/28/2014We eat at Helmand with friends every month. The food is always wonderful, spicey, flavorful and well presented. The service is very good, and though they are quite busy, the waiters are friendly and helpful. When we first came to Helmand, we thought it would be a one-time experiment, but we continue to have marvelous meals every month, and so keep returning. I have recommended this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tryJenniferVIPDined on 10/25/2014Check out The Helmand for a change of pace from typical Baltimore fare. We're all appreciate of the variety. The food lacks well-focused flavor. An excellent Indian spot would be a better bet.Special Features:
- Consistently Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Every dish, every time I come to The Helmand the food is consistently outstanding. I come all the way from DC to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014The Helmand is one of my favorite restaurants and I don't get there often enough. The food was as good as I remembered from my last visit and I look forward to going there again. Two things costed it the 5th star - the bread is not complimentary any more and the service was almost two good. No sooner did you take the last bite off your plate, someone was clearing the table. It felt like they were rushing us to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014I love this place. I have been here so many times, but this is my first review for Helmand. The food is great, especially the meat is thoroughly cooked and it is very tender. I definitely recommend this place for all food lovers out there. The only downside which I think is, this place can get noisy sometimes. But that doesn't stop me from going to this restaurant, bcos I am there to enjoy the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food- poor servicesushiloverDined on 10/24/2014Booked The Helmand for dinner after reviewing Trip Advisor. Were in town for a special occasion. Food was very good and restaurant attractive but this was ruined by the service. Was so noisy we could not talk. Three of us were seated at a table for two directly across from the exit to the kitchen and my chair was bumped multiple times during the meal. The food was literally thrown at us and felt very rushed. Barely removed the menu and appetizer was on the table. Had not even finished the appetizer and dinner was served. Felt like they just wanted to turn tables. For what they charge including charge for bread they should not rush customizers. Was very disappointing. If you want a relaxing dinner would not recommend!!!
- Great flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014We had a wonderful meal. The place was very crowded and noisy, but it was Friday night at dinnertime, and a busy restaurant usually means a good restaurant. And the Helmand is good! The pumpkin appetizer (seasonal) is a great starter, and the beef and vegetable dishes are superb. Topped off with red wine and mango/date/fig-filled ice cream. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for something different and have taste buds. Maybe try during the week, as it may lessen the noise factor.Special Features:
- consistent and tastycrossculturalistDined on 10/23/2014we love the food at The Helmand, though the main dining room can be a bit too loud-- Normally I ask to be seated in the main entrance space b/c it seems to be easier to have conversations there then the main dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placenotafoodieDined on 10/20/2014The starters are all good, especially the pumpkin and the chickpea salad. My favorite entree is the vegetarian platter, but lamb dishes are also excellent. We almost always get the bindi (okra) as a side dish for the table and these folks can make even turnips tasted like a gourmet find.Special Features:
- PleasantWolfytooDined on 10/19/2014Pleasant atmosphere.....pretty good food, decent service. Definitely above par.Special Features:
- Helmand--Good but rushedomnivoreDined on 10/18/2014I've eaten at the Helmand a number of times, but this time I was especially aware of the high noise level and the speed of service. The food was good, as usual, but even at 5:45 pm, it was hard to hear the conversation at my table, and our food arrived so quickly that I felt pressured to eat fast.
- Love The Food!!!!livtoeatDined on 10/17/2014I have always had a great experience here. This time was no exception. I can never remember the names of the dishes but I know when I see it on the menu. The pumpkin dish is amazing. I had the lamb with the turnips and ginger. What a wonderful combination. I would never have thought of that. Just go and eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciously UniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014It was a crowded Friday evening but our table was ready. We were warmly welcomed and shown to a table near the window. Our water glasses were filled and menus presented. Our neighboring table was being served an interesting dessert item and informed us that their dinner was just as unique. Our server appeared promptly and asked if we needed any help with the menu. She made a couple of suggestions to our comments and we placed our order. Food appeared soon after. What a delicious meal! The mix of flavors was wonderful. We shared our appetizers and mains with each other. We even split that interesting dessert we saw when we sat down. We left full and happy. This was a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- The Consistancy if ExcellenceGianMarcoDined on 10/12/2014Looking for fresh food? Looking for excellent service? Looking for a blend of herbs and spices that enhance a meal far more than you can imagine? Then look for the easiest way to get to Helmand! The restaurant runs with the efficiency of a Swiss watch, the servers are more than friendly and sincere, and the food always constitutes a great value for the money... NO WAIT, as a matter of fact, DON'T go there. I want to make sure my "table" is available next time I go there and if everyone knows how special it is, I may have a problem being seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veg firendly restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/12/2014The Helmand is a great place for meat lovers and vegetarians, alike. Always pleased with variety of vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousjahcDined on 10/11/2014Everyone enjoyed what they ordered. The service was perfect - always around when we needed something but never hovering. I also love that they have so many vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Too busy for usCrocpinotDined on 10/3/2014Delayed by Baltimore's Friday evening traffic (horror!) we were 10 minutes late for our resrevation, and were treated as if we had broken their plate glass window. Poor table site, although there were plenty of others vacant at the time (the restaurant filled with diners and cacophony by the time we left). No service except water until I signaled the maître d' and finally got a waiter. He (the waiter, not the maître d') was apologetic, cordial, expert, considerate. The food was over-sauced, over-salty. We had dined here several times in the past (not this year, however), and were disappointed.Special Features:
- Great ServiceMel123Dined on 10/2/2014Our first visit to this restaurant and we were pleasantly surprised. We arrived late and only had an hour to make a show. We asked for suggestions because of the tight schedule. The appetizers and entrees suggested were outstanding and arrived very quickly. Outstanding service!! And food!! Got to the show right on time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baltimore institution but worth it?JamesVIPDined on 9/30/2014Simply, Helmand is a Baltimore restaurant treasure with wonderfully done Afghan food in a city not known for its ethnic cuisine. That said, every time I go I tear up a little at the small portions and high prices for basically ethnic comfort food served on white table cloths. Certainly a place I will continue to go back to but has room for improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every dish delishdeecathDined on 9/27/2014We had been wanting to go and finally made it! Made a reservation a few hours in advance and am glad we did - it was booked solid by the time we got there on a Saturday night. We were seated promptly. The waiter was great at helping describe and recommend dishes as well as wine and cocktails. The food was high quality and delicious - our favorite was the pumpkin appetizer. Will be back!
- wonderful, reliable, diverseMedrayDined on 9/27/2014This is a family favorite and a reliable place to take out-of-town guests. This time I had folks from 3 different ethnic backgrounds, including a vegetarian. None had had Afghan food before. All were more than satisfied - they were pleasantly surprised. The pumpkin appetizer is a reliable starter. I also like the leek ravioli. Entrees are ample and pleasantly spiced. Dessert is not the pinnacle of the experience, but the special ice cream (with cardamom, dates, etc) is a treat. Service is fast and courteous, even if a little rushed (Saturday night is busy).I would recommend this to a friend.
- KG in DCKGrayDined on 9/26/2014Would recommend The Helmand Restaurant to a friendSpecial Features:
- excellentNickDined on 9/26/2014Great food with good seasonings, not overdone. Meat cooked perfectly. Delicious starters, the pumpkin not to be missed, perfect with the entree as a side for a contrast to the savory spices in the entree. Nice table setting with white tableclothes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, as alwaysHappyeaterDined on 9/21/2014I love this restaurant and have never had a bad meal here. I have old favorites, but this time I tried one of the lamb specials and it was delicious. My sister, a vegetarian, was dining with me and was impressed by all the vegetarian choices on the menu. She also had a delicious entree from the specials menu. This visit I was not impressed by our waiter as we have had better service in the past. Also, he made us feel a bit rushed. They were busy, but not overflowing, on a Sunday evening.Special Features:
- Awesome food!russellcbrownDined on 9/21/2014I'm not an expert on Afghan food, but I've never been disappointed with the food here! Great food every time!!Special Features:
- Good Food Loud RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014The food we had was very good,vegetable noodle soup a little to spicy but good, vegetable medley plate my wife liked but some of it was too spicy for her, I had a lamb-rice and raisin dish that was very good. The main problem is it is way too loud here. They need to do something to dampen the sound. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- meal and atmosphererestaurantsampler2Dined on 9/20/2014food was excellent service excellent and well informed wait staff food served very promptly somewhat noisy slightly difficult for easy conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long time fanlongtimefanDined on 9/16/2014If you go The Helmand, you must try the mantwo and the pumpkin app. Both are fantastic. I've been going to The Helmand for years and I've never had a bad meal.Special Features:
- Delicious food, fabulous service.oxy516Dined on 9/12/2014One of the best restaurants in Baltimore. It won't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good afghan food is hard to findLuvAfghanDined on 9/8/2014We always look for an afghan restaurant when we visit different cities and found this gem. Really good aushak and best marinated chicken kabob I have had in a while. Set in a lovely neighborhood of Baltimore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!DateNightersDined on 9/6/2014We had two nights in Baltimore and went to Helmand in a friend's recommendation. Food is delicious!!! Best. Lamb. Ever. And I cook a lot of lamb. Other highlights: the naan, eggplant appetizers, and special ice cream for dessert. I'd also like to get a gallon of that cilantro-vinegar sauce that came with dinner and put it on everything I eat. Restaurant was packed but didn't feel overcrowded and the service was friendly & efficient. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrmmDined on 9/6/2014this is the second best food in baltimore, no. 1 charleston; but helmand food is exotic and inexpensice as wellSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014The service, food, and ambiance were all wonderful. I usually am not that impressed with restaurants, but The Helmand was just as good as the reviews said. Just go and check it out once (at least), it's worth the trip if that's why you're reading the reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The saga goes onBeachboyDined on 8/30/2014Back again after who knows how many visits. Always super food. If you go Friday or Sat evening be prepared for a good bit of noise. For a more romantic dinner go after 9pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Long-time FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014We live in metro DC, but whenever we are in Baltimore we always eat at The Helmand. They do an outstanding job every time. Even when they are packed with people (which is the norm), their service is prompt and professional. We have tried almost every item on their menu, and it has all been fantastic. Try the special cardamom ice cream!Special Features:
- can't go wrongcathyDined on 8/23/2014As always the food was exceptional- very filling, flavorful dishes with a unique taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoy the HelmandWayFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Our sixth visit. I think that says it all. They were super busy and our waiter had trouble keeping an eye on us. That's where the lower rating on service comes from on this visit. Otherwise, the overall experience is always super.Special Features:
- TootsVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had a wonderful meal at The Helmand. The aushak and pumpkin aps were fantastic as was our main course of lamb and turnips, a special on the menu that evening. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- A Baltimore TraditionFriendsandfoodDined on 8/20/2014Exceptional one-of-a-kind flavors and service. I get to visit Baltimore once every few years. When I do, The Helmand is a priority visit for me. A past colleague brought me here years ago, so now I continue the tradition by bringing new colleagues to experience the delightful food, intimate atmosphere and unparalleled service. On August 20th, 2014, I was lucky enough to visit again and bring new colleagues with me. Tonight, our server, Lauren H., went above and beyond. We were treated like family and even had the opportunity to try a majority of the menu in choosing a "family style" special that allowed us to share many different dishes. Please don't hesitate to try something new and unique at The Helmand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodNateDined on 8/18/2014My experience was amazing. The food was delicious and service was outstanding. My wife and I took a friend to dinner her to thank her for dog-sitting and the food was just amazing. Each of us ordered a lamb dish. Each dish had amazing flavors and the lamb was cooked to perfection. I would recommend the pumpkin appetizer. It was quite possibly one of the best dishes I have ever had. The cardamom infused vanilla ice cream in rose water was the perfect way to finish the meal. I will definitely be going back here again.Special Features: