The Helmand Restaurant
806 N Charles St
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AfghanPrice: $30 and under
The Helmand Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.helmand.com/
- Phone: 4107520311x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afghan, Vegetarian / Vegan, Middle Eastern
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Helmand Restaurant
Providing fine Afghan cuisine for 25 years in BaltimoreContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Helmand Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
The Helmand Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
227 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (145)fit for foodies (138)special occasion (126)good for groups (91)romantic (87)hot spot (20)notable wine list (17)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (9)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- One of our Favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Best food, best service, most caring of our Afghan guests; we couldn't have been more pleased! The manager graciously greeted our guests and made them feel at home. Many treats came our way as a way to honor our special guests. Every dish was spectacular and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Always Enjoy It!BruceinMDDined on 8/10/2014We have been here several times and have had a consistently good experience. We love the food and the range of spices and tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and staff!Funnygirl14Dined on 8/7/2014Great food and staff! Was there for restaurant week and would recommend any of their fish plates. Their pudding was amazing too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014The food here was fine, but the noise level was untenable. We could not speak to each other across the table.Special Features:
- Afghani food is wonderfulscuffleVIPDined on 8/5/2014My friend and I went here for restaurant week (as we do every year), the food is so tasty. We had the sampler dinner w/a small lamb chop and one large kebab chunk each of lamb, beef and chicken & scented rice. The meat was incredibly tender and subtly flavored. We also had our choice of appetizer and dessert. I highly recommend the Kaddo Borwani (app - roasted pumpkin w/yogurt sauce) and Afghan ice cream w/dates, dried figs and fresh mango. I dream about this dessert! The space is a bit tight and was packed (because of restaurant week), so the service was a bit slow, but slow is not the norm. I will back before the next restaurant week.Special Features:
- Excellent food!bravojonny15Dined on 8/3/2014The Helmand was a great restaurant! Delicious food which was elegant, yet simple. We have wanted to try this restaurant for a while and we are so glad we finally did. Very good food at a reasonable price too.Special Features:
- kathy kellerkittykatDined on 8/2/2014The Helmand made our anniversary very special!!!The food was excellent and our waiter was very nice and informative!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week proved fruitfulwhenInRomeDined on 8/2/2014We went to Helmand for the first time during restaurant week. We each got naan, an appetizer, a main dish with rice, and a dessert for $30.14. The price felt a little steep since it looked as though we could've gotten more food from the regular menu for about equal price, but the food was delicious. It came out quickly, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rwesleyVIPDined on 8/1/2014The waiter seemed to be angry at the world. That did not contribute to a pleasant dinner. We don't know the waiter's name, but we will recognize him. In any future visits to the Helmand we will be sure to avoid that waiter.
- Love!GourmetCookDined on 8/1/2014Took my boyfriend for his first time to the Helmand. We both got the vegetarian platter and he loved it! Pumpkin appetizer is to die for! Run there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentGregDined on 7/31/2014As always everything was perfection at Helmand! Why I have to say more than that to total 50 characters us beyond me Open Table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014The Helmand is easily one of the best restaurants in Baltimore. The food is reasonably priced and consistently delicious and service is always great. If someone is only in town for a day or two, this is usually on of my first recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Tasty afghan foodDaveDined on 7/19/2014A large menu of very tasty afghan food that's appropriately priced. Lots of vegetarian options too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for CompanyyentakvetchDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant never disappoints. The service is always topnotch. The waiters go out of their way to make your dinner memorable. We keep coming back for the food from Afghanistan. My favorite dish is the pumpkin appetizer. You must try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Interesting and tasty Afghan food. Resembles middle-eastern food.Special Features:
- Excellent mealBob4Dined on 7/12/2014The shornakhod (salad) and kaddo borawni (pumpkin) appetizers were outstanding as usual. Restaurant is always great and service is very quick but not rushed.Special Features:
- Sad1VIPDined on 7/12/2014We made an early reservation,showed up on time,however we were told we had to wait for 15-20 mts for a table in an inside room,which we would have preferred.But settled for a table right at the entrance.The food was good but the service felt almost uncomfortable.The portions were nothing but a ton of rice.Easy way out!!! Wish we had chosen a different restaurant for our visit to Baltimore.
- Many previous times, it is betterWayFoodieVIPDined on 7/8/2014Not bad on this occasion. Could have been the dishes ordered or something else,but it was not the outstanding experience we normally receive. Just a bit off night. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for VegetariansHSMMDined on 7/7/2014The food at Helmand was great and was vegetarian. As a vegan (eating with vegetarians) I was worried I wouldn't be able to find many options. There were at least 5 substantial options for vegans and the ones we ordered were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a friendGerirxerDined on 7/2/2014I had long awaited a trip to Helmand, having heard so much about it from friends and family. I wasn't disappointed. The only fly in the ointment was our server, who could not have been more disengaged. Almost as though he didn't even want to make eye contact. But, I suspect that if I were with my husband instead of another woman, it may have been different..just my take on it. Otherwise, the food, the choices, the aromas were all wonderful. I will be back.Special Features:
- Consistently deliciousbprestrevDined on 6/28/2014Find this restaurant's food to be consistently high quality. Favorite is rack of lamb, which is just outstanding. Often bring out of visitors from out of town here and they have all enjoyed it. The food is flavorful with just the right amount of spices without being overbearing. Service also very good. Find it to be more noisy if have to sit in the front room. Two favorite appetizers are the pumpkin dish and the ashak (leek dish). Wine list is also quite good.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014I've been twice and both times were phenomenal! The service was courteous, the food came out quickly and was absolutely delicious! I tried some of everyone's dinner and they were all really tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- donnybaseballVIPDined on 6/26/2014This restaurant was very much a surprise.. The food was excellent, and the value was superb... I will certainly return the next time I am in Baltimore...Special Features:
- Great Food, Loud SurroundingsJackieDined on 6/26/2014The food is phenomenal. I have tried two different dishes there and loved both of them (Mourgh Challow and Sabzy Challow). Whatever you order, make sure you get the pumpkin appetizer (Kaddo Borwani) and the Afghan Ice Cream for dessert! Only downfalls are that it is crowded, loud and space is limited, so I felt like I was being squeezed into my table constantly so servers can pass by.Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood findLAN62Dined on 6/22/2014A group of us went to the Helmand. It is terrific ethnic food, great service, and very reasonably priced. I will be sure to return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing Food, Too NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014The acoustics in this restaurant are so bad that I probably won't return, despite the wonderful food.Special Features:
- Delicious EveningLovemyfoodDined on 6/21/2014Birthday dinner. My only mistake was not requesting seating in the front "hallway" dining room. The main dining room is so loud it is difficult to carry on a conversation and it was a bit warm. The other room was noticeably cooler and quieter! The food was amazing especially one of the specials, I don't remember the name, but it was a chicken stew with tomatoes, peaches and some dried fruit I think. It was a little sweet, a little savory and with a nice spicy zing... amazing flavors all together. I'd love to be able to recreate this dish at home. The chicken kebab is wonderful... very, very moist with lots of flavor. The other standout was the Afghan ice cream loaded with dried fruits and mango! Delish!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceEABFDined on 6/19/2014We went there on a Thursday night. We got seated right away and everything was good. The food, the service, the ambiance all very nice. Would definitely go back and bring out-of-town visitors.
- Simply the best!JoeyzbDined on 6/15/2014This restaurant is my absolute favorite. I especially love the green sauce. Lamb kabobs are to die for. Amazing appetizers. great prices. This place CANNOT be beat!Special Features:
- Can't go wrong with the HelmandLove2EatDined on 6/14/2014We've been going to the Helmand for years and it never disappoints. The food is consistently excellent and reasonably priced. the service is always good. It's one of our favorite places to take out-of-town company.Special Features:
- wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/12/2014I had been craving the Helmond so I visited two weeks in a row - having the same entre each time because it is so amazing. Make sure you have the pumpkin appetizer and the ravioli. I like the chopendez which is out of this world. The service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- komodoDined on 6/8/2014Best Afghan we've ever had! Friendly staff, very reasonably priced and centrally located.
- Authentic Afghani, lovely waitstafffoodloverDined on 6/6/2014Our waiter suggested family style for our group of 8 and it was perfect! Plenty of food for all. He also suggested fabulous wine that didn't overpower the food, but complimented nicely. The rice is just so delicious and a wonderful pumpkin dish was a surprise at the start. Chicken, Lamb, Salmon and Beef were impeccably prepared with a very nice green sauce (cilantro and something?) that brought out all flavors. Appetizers were raviolis and spinach in some sort of dough. delicious. Waitstaff knew we had to make a show, and hustled to make sure we were out on time. Intelligent, polite servers with good attitudes and knowledgeable about wine which really helped.Special Features:
- Unique and Tasty RestaurantHankDinesDined on 6/6/2014The Helmand stands out as a classy Afghan restaurant in Baltimore. There are plenty of places to get middle-eastern cuisine in the city, but The Helmand offers friendly servers, a wide selection of dishes, and reasonable prices. My date and I shared an appetizer, some naan, and each enjoyed an entree for under fifty dollars, plus tip. She got some lamb meatballs with a dark, aromatic sauce; the bite I had was savory, a little spicy, and succulent. I ordered seared salmon with a tomato-based sauce which included corn and peas and a side of boiled spinach; the fish was cooked very well and the sauce offered a sweetness that complimented the flavor of the salmon. Both of our entrees came with rice. It was overall a great experience!Special Features:
- Reviwer1963eDined on 6/5/2014Looking for something different, I stumbled upon Helmand. The menu was a great assortment of Afghan dishes. My server helped me wade through the menu in order to experience a great meal. The next time I am in Baltimore, I will not miss the opportunity to return.Special Features:
- For lamb lovers and veggiesNicholasDined on 5/31/2014They have a lot of delicious lamb dishes prepared in different ways. Also, they have a good veggie menu. Good selection of wines with very good pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely enjoyableJesseMLDined on 5/31/2014we thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Helmand. We had a short wait at the bar in the back, the bartender was friendly and knowledgeable. When we sat at our table our server was prompt and took her time explaining/recommending dishes. Everything we ordered was good., our drinks were always full, and even though it was a busy evening for them, we were not rushed. I would absolutely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/31/2014No one can resist the pumpkin yogurt appetizer! After that we continue to work our way through the menu--the new "chicken special" is good, its accompanying salad delicious. With the quick service, it's easy to have a 6 p.m. dinner and walk to the Myerhoff for an 8 p.m. concert.Special Features:
- A classicGalaxiegirlDined on 5/30/2014I have been coming to the Helmand since it opened. The food is always delicious and consistent. - created with love. My favorites are - pumpkin app, ravioli app, chickpea salad, the kabuli entree!, and don't forget the veggie sides especially spinach and okra. The vegetarian platter is awesome if you don't want meat. The ice cream dessert is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best value in townFriendoftheKitchenDined on 5/25/2014What a great restaurant.. you will find others that are fancier, but you will get the best value for your money at Helmand. It is my personal favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.