The Helmand Restaurant
806 N Charles St
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AfghanPrice: $30 and under
The Helmand Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.helmand.com/
- Phone: (410) 752-0311
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afghan, Vegetarian / Vegan, Middle Eastern
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Helmand Restaurant
Providing fine Afghan cuisine for 25 years in BaltimoreContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Helmand Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
The Helmand Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (152)neighborhood gem (138)special occasion (101)romantic (76)good for groups (67)hot spot (24)notable wine list (23)late-night find (8)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014The Helmand was excellent! Wonderful food and a nice ambiance. I strongly recommend the pumpkin appetizer. The description sounds a little strange, but it was absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great foodJeffDined on 11/15/2014Excellent food as usual. Service was rushed which was unusual. Brought our entree before finishing our appetizer and tried to to exchange the plates. Maybe don't order the entire meal at once. The place was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysAlisonDined on 11/14/2014We had some friends in from NYC and wanted to take them someplace different with great food. The helmand did not disappoint. We all loved the food, the service was great, and the price was awesome as well. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall experienceJulieDined on 11/13/2014I was surprised to find that two pieces of the chicken kabob contained gristle. The rice could have used more flavoring. The service was quick, efficient and cordial. The place is pretty with tablecloths and good lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of the bestjcrockDined on 11/11/2014This has always been one of my favorite restaurants in Baltimore. I haven't been here in a while, so I was pleased to discover that it is still as delicious and lovely as always, from the aushak and pallow to the cardamom ice cream with dried fruit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best food.cathyDined on 11/11/2014We've never been disappointed. Great menu, great taste, classy and elegant yet welcoming and homey. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic cuisinegarfDined on 11/9/2014our group included a photojournalist familiar with afghan cuisine who was very impressed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Excellent vegetarian options! Service was a bit slow at times, but we were there during the dinner rush on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Excellent Food Fairly PricedSassdadVIPDined on 11/7/2014Food is delicious, service is good (and fast) and atmosphere is fine - not too crowded but vibrant. Love it for dinner before theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find!CMSKAKDined on 11/2/2014Love this place! Took my daughter for her birthday- tables a little tight, but all else was amazing (food, service).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice For A Night OutRoyLDined on 11/1/2014I used to go to this restaurant twenty years ago. It was good then and it's good now. They have two "rooms." The ambiance rating is for the larger room. Book a table there. The wine list is very limited but adequate. Our bill (with wine) came out to $43.06 per person I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- SokoDined on 11/1/2014Excellent. Very accommodating to special needs. Restaurant very warm and welcoming. Food very good with interesting diverse choices. Service excellent. We'll run establishment.
- J & SJandSDined on 10/31/2014Wonderful place! Food was excellent and the ambiance was very nice.Special Features:
- consistent cuisineCarroll4FoodiesDined on 10/31/2014The Helmand never fails to please. From the friendly attentive service staff to the delicious cooked to perfection lamb. I never tire of the eggplant appetizer and the zingy yogurt sauce. The warm afghani bread that is made on the premises is a must to make sure you get all the sauces from al,l the dishes. The spicy root vegetables enhance the meat dishes. And there is usually something different on the menu to try. Cardamom tea is a nice closure to the dinner. Always a pleasure to introduce out of town diners to this charming restaurant!!! It can make lamb eaters out of the most skeptical diners. Gently marinated and cooked to tender perfection.Special Features:
- SuperQuiteaDishDined on 10/29/2014We have dined at Helmand many times. It seemed as if it only gets better. The waiter was wonderful, patient, informed.Special Features:
- BernieDined on 10/28/2014Food and service were wonderful. But had to sit in front room- requested back room with my reservation but not available. Noisy level in front room very bad. Difficult to talk with my companion until restaurant began to empty out.Special Features:
- Wonderful FoodcathyDined on 10/28/2014We eat at Helmand with friends every month. The food is always wonderful, spicey, flavorful and well presented. The service is very good, and though they are quite busy, the waiters are friendly and helpful. When we first came to Helmand, we thought it would be a one-time experiment, but we continue to have marvelous meals every month, and so keep returning. I have recommended this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tryJenniferVIPDined on 10/25/2014Check out The Helmand for a change of pace from typical Baltimore fare. We're all appreciate of the variety. The food lacks well-focused flavor. An excellent Indian spot would be a better bet.Special Features:
- Consistently Great!MoosewisdomDined on 10/25/2014Every dish, every time I come to The Helmand the food is consistently outstanding. I come all the way from DC to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatDizzybroadDined on 10/25/2014The Helmand is one of my favorite restaurants and I don't get there often enough. The food was as good as I remembered from my last visit and I look forward to going there again. Two things costed it the 5th star - the bread is not complimentary any more and the service was almost two good. No sooner did you take the last bite off your plate, someone was clearing the table. It felt like they were rushing us to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014I love this place. I have been here so many times, but this is my first review for Helmand. The food is great, especially the meat is thoroughly cooked and it is very tender. I definitely recommend this place for all food lovers out there. The only downside which I think is, this place can get noisy sometimes. But that doesn't stop me from going to this restaurant, bcos I am there to enjoy the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food- poor servicesushiloverDined on 10/24/2014Booked The Helmand for dinner after reviewing Trip Advisor. Were in town for a special occasion. Food was very good and restaurant attractive but this was ruined by the service. Was so noisy we could not talk. Three of us were seated at a table for two directly across from the exit to the kitchen and my chair was bumped multiple times during the meal. The food was literally thrown at us and felt very rushed. Barely removed the menu and appetizer was on the table. Had not even finished the appetizer and dinner was served. Felt like they just wanted to turn tables. For what they charge including charge for bread they should not rush customizers. Was very disappointing. If you want a relaxing dinner would not recommend!!!
- Great flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014We had a wonderful meal. The place was very crowded and noisy, but it was Friday night at dinnertime, and a busy restaurant usually means a good restaurant. And the Helmand is good! The pumpkin appetizer (seasonal) is a great starter, and the beef and vegetable dishes are superb. Topped off with red wine and mango/date/fig-filled ice cream. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for something different and have taste buds. Maybe try during the week, as it may lessen the noise factor.Special Features:
- consistent and tastycrossculturalistDined on 10/23/2014we love the food at The Helmand, though the main dining room can be a bit too loud-- Normally I ask to be seated in the main entrance space b/c it seems to be easier to have conversations there then the main dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placenotafoodieDined on 10/20/2014The starters are all good, especially the pumpkin and the chickpea salad. My favorite entree is the vegetarian platter, but lamb dishes are also excellent. We almost always get the bindi (okra) as a side dish for the table and these folks can make even turnips tasted like a gourmet find.Special Features:
- PleasantWolfytooDined on 10/19/2014Pleasant atmosphere.....pretty good food, decent service. Definitely above par.Special Features:
- Helmand--Good but rushedomnivoreDined on 10/18/2014I've eaten at the Helmand a number of times, but this time I was especially aware of the high noise level and the speed of service. The food was good, as usual, but even at 5:45 pm, it was hard to hear the conversation at my table, and our food arrived so quickly that I felt pressured to eat fast.
- Love The Food!!!!livtoeatDined on 10/17/2014I have always had a great experience here. This time was no exception. I can never remember the names of the dishes but I know when I see it on the menu. The pumpkin dish is amazing. I had the lamb with the turnips and ginger. What a wonderful combination. I would never have thought of that. Just go and eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciously UniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014It was a crowded Friday evening but our table was ready. We were warmly welcomed and shown to a table near the window. Our water glasses were filled and menus presented. Our neighboring table was being served an interesting dessert item and informed us that their dinner was just as unique. Our server appeared promptly and asked if we needed any help with the menu. She made a couple of suggestions to our comments and we placed our order. Food appeared soon after. What a delicious meal! The mix of flavors was wonderful. We shared our appetizers and mains with each other. We even split that interesting dessert we saw when we sat down. We left full and happy. This was a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- The Consistancy if ExcellenceGianMarcoDined on 10/12/2014Looking for fresh food? Looking for excellent service? Looking for a blend of herbs and spices that enhance a meal far more than you can imagine? Then look for the easiest way to get to Helmand! The restaurant runs with the efficiency of a Swiss watch, the servers are more than friendly and sincere, and the food always constitutes a great value for the money... NO WAIT, as a matter of fact, DON'T go there. I want to make sure my "table" is available next time I go there and if everyone knows how special it is, I may have a problem being seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veg firendly restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/12/2014The Helmand is a great place for meat lovers and vegetarians, alike. Always pleased with variety of vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousjahcDined on 10/11/2014Everyone enjoyed what they ordered. The service was perfect - always around when we needed something but never hovering. I also love that they have so many vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Too busy for usCrocpinotDined on 10/3/2014Delayed by Baltimore's Friday evening traffic (horror!) we were 10 minutes late for our resrevation, and were treated as if we had broken their plate glass window. Poor table site, although there were plenty of others vacant at the time (the restaurant filled with diners and cacophony by the time we left). No service except water until I signaled the maître d' and finally got a waiter. He (the waiter, not the maître d') was apologetic, cordial, expert, considerate. The food was over-sauced, over-salty. We had dined here several times in the past (not this year, however), and were disappointed.Special Features:
- Great ServiceMel123Dined on 10/2/2014Our first visit to this restaurant and we were pleasantly surprised. We arrived late and only had an hour to make a show. We asked for suggestions because of the tight schedule. The appetizers and entrees suggested were outstanding and arrived very quickly. Outstanding service!! And food!! Got to the show right on time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baltimore institution but worth it?JamesVIPDined on 9/30/2014Simply, Helmand is a Baltimore restaurant treasure with wonderfully done Afghan food in a city not known for its ethnic cuisine. That said, every time I go I tear up a little at the small portions and high prices for basically ethnic comfort food served on white table cloths. Certainly a place I will continue to go back to but has room for improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every dish delishdeecathDined on 9/27/2014We had been wanting to go and finally made it! Made a reservation a few hours in advance and am glad we did - it was booked solid by the time we got there on a Saturday night. We were seated promptly. The waiter was great at helping describe and recommend dishes as well as wine and cocktails. The food was high quality and delicious - our favorite was the pumpkin appetizer. Will be back!
- wonderful, reliable, diverseMedrayDined on 9/27/2014This is a family favorite and a reliable place to take out-of-town guests. This time I had folks from 3 different ethnic backgrounds, including a vegetarian. None had had Afghan food before. All were more than satisfied - they were pleasantly surprised. The pumpkin appetizer is a reliable starter. I also like the leek ravioli. Entrees are ample and pleasantly spiced. Dessert is not the pinnacle of the experience, but the special ice cream (with cardamom, dates, etc) is a treat. Service is fast and courteous, even if a little rushed (Saturday night is busy).I would recommend this to a friend.
- KG in DCKGrayDined on 9/26/2014Would recommend The Helmand Restaurant to a friendSpecial Features:
- excellentNickDined on 9/26/2014Great food with good seasonings, not overdone. Meat cooked perfectly. Delicious starters, the pumpkin not to be missed, perfect with the entree as a side for a contrast to the savory spices in the entree. Nice table setting with white tableclothes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, as alwaysHappyeaterDined on 9/21/2014I love this restaurant and have never had a bad meal here. I have old favorites, but this time I tried one of the lamb specials and it was delicious. My sister, a vegetarian, was dining with me and was impressed by all the vegetarian choices on the menu. She also had a delicious entree from the specials menu. This visit I was not impressed by our waiter as we have had better service in the past. Also, he made us feel a bit rushed. They were busy, but not overflowing, on a Sunday evening.Special Features: