The Helmand Restaurant
806 N Charles St
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AfghanPrice: $30 and under
The Helmand Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.helmand.com/
- Phone: 4107520311x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afghan, Vegetarian / Vegan, Middle Eastern
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Helmand Restaurant
Providing fine Afghan cuisine for 25 years in BaltimoreContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Helmand Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
The Helmand Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (122)neighborhood gem (119)special occasion (95)good for groups (72)romantic (71)hot spot (16)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (7)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Long time fanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/16/2014If you go The Helmand, you must try the mantwo and the pumpkin app. Both are fantastic. I've been going to The Helmand for years and I've never had a bad meal.Special Features:
- Delicious food, fabulous service.oxy516Dined on 9/12/2014One of the best restaurants in Baltimore. It won't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good afghan food is hard to findLuvAfghanDined on 9/8/2014We always look for an afghan restaurant when we visit different cities and found this gem. Really good aushak and best marinated chicken kabob I have had in a while. Set in a lovely neighborhood of Baltimore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!DateNightersDined on 9/6/2014We had two nights in Baltimore and went to Helmand in a friend's recommendation. Food is delicious!!! Best. Lamb. Ever. And I cook a lot of lamb. Other highlights: the naan, eggplant appetizers, and special ice cream for dessert. I'd also like to get a gallon of that cilantro-vinegar sauce that came with dinner and put it on everything I eat. Restaurant was packed but didn't feel overcrowded and the service was friendly & efficient. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrmmDined on 9/6/2014this is the second best food in baltimore, no. 1 charleston; but helmand food is exotic and inexpensice as wellSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014The service, food, and ambiance were all wonderful. I usually am not that impressed with restaurants, but The Helmand was just as good as the reviews said. Just go and check it out once (at least), it's worth the trip if that's why you're reading the reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The saga goes onBeachboyDined on 8/30/2014Back again after who knows how many visits. Always super food. If you go Friday or Sat evening be prepared for a good bit of noise. For a more romantic dinner go after 9pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Long-time FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014We live in metro DC, but whenever we are in Baltimore we always eat at The Helmand. They do an outstanding job every time. Even when they are packed with people (which is the norm), their service is prompt and professional. We have tried almost every item on their menu, and it has all been fantastic. Try the special cardamom ice cream!Special Features:
- can't go wrongcathyDined on 8/23/2014As always the food was exceptional- very filling, flavorful dishes with a unique taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoy the HelmandWayFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Our sixth visit. I think that says it all. They were super busy and our waiter had trouble keeping an eye on us. That's where the lower rating on service comes from on this visit. Otherwise, the overall experience is always super.Special Features:
- TootsVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had a wonderful meal at The Helmand. The aushak and pumpkin aps were fantastic as was our main course of lamb and turnips, a special on the menu that evening. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- A Baltimore TraditionFriendsandfoodDined on 8/20/2014Exceptional one-of-a-kind flavors and service. I get to visit Baltimore once every few years. When I do, The Helmand is a priority visit for me. A past colleague brought me here years ago, so now I continue the tradition by bringing new colleagues to experience the delightful food, intimate atmosphere and unparalleled service. On August 20th, 2014, I was lucky enough to visit again and bring new colleagues with me. Tonight, our server, Lauren H., went above and beyond. We were treated like family and even had the opportunity to try a majority of the menu in choosing a "family style" special that allowed us to share many different dishes. Please don't hesitate to try something new and unique at The Helmand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodNateDined on 8/18/2014My experience was amazing. The food was delicious and service was outstanding. My wife and I took a friend to dinner her to thank her for dog-sitting and the food was just amazing. Each of us ordered a lamb dish. Each dish had amazing flavors and the lamb was cooked to perfection. I would recommend the pumpkin appetizer. It was quite possibly one of the best dishes I have ever had. The cardamom infused vanilla ice cream in rose water was the perfect way to finish the meal. I will definitely be going back here again.Special Features:
- One of our Favorites!GregDined on 8/17/2014Best food, best service, most caring of our Afghan guests; we couldn't have been more pleased! The manager graciously greeted our guests and made them feel at home. Many treats came our way as a way to honor our special guests. Every dish was spectacular and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Always Enjoy It!BruceinMDDined on 8/10/2014We have been here several times and have had a consistently good experience. We love the food and the range of spices and tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and staff!Funnygirl14Dined on 8/7/2014Great food and staff! Was there for restaurant week and would recommend any of their fish plates. Their pudding was amazing too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014The food here was fine, but the noise level was untenable. We could not speak to each other across the table.Special Features:
- Afghani food is wonderfulscuffleVIPDined on 8/5/2014My friend and I went here for restaurant week (as we do every year), the food is so tasty. We had the sampler dinner w/a small lamb chop and one large kebab chunk each of lamb, beef and chicken & scented rice. The meat was incredibly tender and subtly flavored. We also had our choice of appetizer and dessert. I highly recommend the Kaddo Borwani (app - roasted pumpkin w/yogurt sauce) and Afghan ice cream w/dates, dried figs and fresh mango. I dream about this dessert! The space is a bit tight and was packed (because of restaurant week), so the service was a bit slow, but slow is not the norm. I will back before the next restaurant week.Special Features:
- Excellent food!bravojonny15Dined on 8/3/2014The Helmand was a great restaurant! Delicious food which was elegant, yet simple. We have wanted to try this restaurant for a while and we are so glad we finally did. Very good food at a reasonable price too.Special Features:
- kathy kellerkittykatDined on 8/2/2014The Helmand made our anniversary very special!!!The food was excellent and our waiter was very nice and informative!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week proved fruitfulwhenInRomeDined on 8/2/2014We went to Helmand for the first time during restaurant week. We each got naan, an appetizer, a main dish with rice, and a dessert for $30.14. The price felt a little steep since it looked as though we could've gotten more food from the regular menu for about equal price, but the food was delicious. It came out quickly, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rwesleyVIPDined on 8/1/2014The waiter seemed to be angry at the world. That did not contribute to a pleasant dinner. We don't know the waiter's name, but we will recognize him. In any future visits to the Helmand we will be sure to avoid that waiter.
- Love!GourmetCookVIPDined on 8/1/2014Took my boyfriend for his first time to the Helmand. We both got the vegetarian platter and he loved it! Pumpkin appetizer is to die for! Run there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentGregDined on 7/31/2014As always everything was perfection at Helmand! Why I have to say more than that to total 50 characters us beyond me Open Table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014The Helmand is easily one of the best restaurants in Baltimore. The food is reasonably priced and consistently delicious and service is always great. If someone is only in town for a day or two, this is usually on of my first recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest Afghan cuisineSuperiorDined on 7/20/2014Okay, I'm no expert on Afghan cuisine. But good Afghan food SHOULD taste like this. Really excellent dining. Food, service, all wrapped up in a fine cultural experience,.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Tasty afghan foodDaveDined on 7/19/2014A large menu of very tasty afghan food that's appropriately priced. Lots of vegetarian options too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for CompanyyentakvetchDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant never disappoints. The service is always topnotch. The waiters go out of their way to make your dinner memorable. We keep coming back for the food from Afghanistan. My favorite dish is the pumpkin appetizer. You must try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Interesting and tasty Afghan food. Resembles middle-eastern food.Special Features:
- Excellent mealBob4Dined on 7/12/2014The shornakhod (salad) and kaddo borawni (pumpkin) appetizers were outstanding as usual. Restaurant is always great and service is very quick but not rushed.Special Features:
- Sad1VIPDined on 7/12/2014We made an early reservation,showed up on time,however we were told we had to wait for 15-20 mts for a table in an inside room,which we would have preferred.But settled for a table right at the entrance.The food was good but the service felt almost uncomfortable.The portions were nothing but a ton of rice.Easy way out!!! Wish we had chosen a different restaurant for our visit to Baltimore.
- Many previous times, it is betterWayFoodieVIPDined on 7/8/2014Not bad on this occasion. Could have been the dishes ordered or something else,but it was not the outstanding experience we normally receive. Just a bit off night. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for VegetariansHSMMDined on 7/7/2014The food at Helmand was great and was vegetarian. As a vegan (eating with vegetarians) I was worried I wouldn't be able to find many options. There were at least 5 substantial options for vegans and the ones we ordered were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a friendGerirxerDined on 7/2/2014I had long awaited a trip to Helmand, having heard so much about it from friends and family. I wasn't disappointed. The only fly in the ointment was our server, who could not have been more disengaged. Almost as though he didn't even want to make eye contact. But, I suspect that if I were with my husband instead of another woman, it may have been different..just my take on it. Otherwise, the food, the choices, the aromas were all wonderful. I will be back.Special Features:
- Consistently deliciousbprestrevDined on 6/28/2014Find this restaurant's food to be consistently high quality. Favorite is rack of lamb, which is just outstanding. Often bring out of visitors from out of town here and they have all enjoyed it. The food is flavorful with just the right amount of spices without being overbearing. Service also very good. Find it to be more noisy if have to sit in the front room. Two favorite appetizers are the pumpkin dish and the ashak (leek dish). Wine list is also quite good.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014I've been twice and both times were phenomenal! The service was courteous, the food came out quickly and was absolutely delicious! I tried some of everyone's dinner and they were all really tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- donnybaseballVIPDined on 6/26/2014This restaurant was very much a surprise.. The food was excellent, and the value was superb... I will certainly return the next time I am in Baltimore...Special Features:
- Great Food, Loud SurroundingsJackieDined on 6/26/2014The food is phenomenal. I have tried two different dishes there and loved both of them (Mourgh Challow and Sabzy Challow). Whatever you order, make sure you get the pumpkin appetizer (Kaddo Borwani) and the Afghan Ice Cream for dessert! Only downfalls are that it is crowded, loud and space is limited, so I felt like I was being squeezed into my table constantly so servers can pass by.Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood findLAN62Dined on 6/22/2014A group of us went to the Helmand. It is terrific ethnic food, great service, and very reasonably priced. I will be sure to return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing Food, Too NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014The acoustics in this restaurant are so bad that I probably won't return, despite the wonderful food.Special Features: