3115 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20010Neighborhood:
Columbia Heights / Brightwood
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theheightsdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 797-7227
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Mon - Fri, 5 pm; Sat & Sun, 4 pm Lunch: Mon - Fri, 11:30 am - 5 pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday, 9 am - 4 pm
Happy Hour: Every Day, 4 - 7 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Kerry Brian Tate
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact Andy Phan, Events Coordinator, email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Andy Phan for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Andy Phan 2026176869x
- Special Events: Contact Andy Phan, Events Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Street: Kenyon St.
- Public Transit: Columbia Heights Metro Station (14th & Irving, NW) is just one block south; Accessible by yellow and green lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Underground parking available across the street in DC USA. Enter from either Irving or Park Rd. The Heights validates. $1 at lunch, $2 at dinner. Street parking also available.
A word from The Heights
Eat Well DC, creators of Grillfish, Logan Tavern and Commissary, brings The Heights to the Columbia Heights neighborhood, Washington’s new retail destination. Located just steps from the Metro at 14th & Kenyon St. NW, The Heights neighbors Giant Supermarket; Target; Best Buy; and the historic Tivoli Theater. Enjoy the cozy dining room and expansive bar, soaring ceilings, and door-to-door window view into the heart of Columbia Heights. On beautiful days, relax in the comfort of our 80-seat patio against the backdrop of some of DC’s most historic buildings and weekend farmer’s market. The food and drink blends contemporary American cuisine with home-style favorites. Enjoy fried chicken, meatloaf and amazing burgers, as well as an extensive list of beer, wine, and cocktails. The Heights is the quintessential neighborhood restaurant: perfect for a quick weekday dinner or casual weekend brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Heights reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)great for outdoor dining (22)great for brunch (15)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (10)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (8)special occasion (4)hot spot (4)romantic (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Delicious as usualBethDined on 10/24/2014This is a neighborhood friendly gem. Good food and service. Always enjoy it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Prompt ServiceYergsDined on 9/27/2014It has been a while since my last visit. Any changes since then seem to be for the better. Our drinks and service was prompt. The food was cooked, as we ordered and the pricing remains very reasonable. It won't be as long for my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy return to a neighborhood gemNancyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Enjoyed sitting outside for a pre-theater meal of gazpacho, blackened catfish with grits and chard, and the ever-fabulous mango, key lime pie, Service was friend and attentive and all of the dishes were tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCDinerDined on 9/27/2014The food was excellent. The only issue was that an ingredient was missing in the omelettes but they did comp a meal for the inconvenience. The service was excellent and again, so was the food. We do plan to visit again for brunch and might come for lunch or dinner. It was a great first impression and visit.Special Features:
- I'm sadLovingFoodVIPDined on 9/12/2014The Heights has been a favorite of ours since we lived in the neighborhood. They used to have the best shrimp and grits in the city and great appetizers like fried green beans as well as a more diverse menu. We tried the fried calamari which was one of the few remaining dishes and was still great. The food we remember and love all seems to be gone now and replaced with a simpler menu of even simpler foods. While the food we had was good I felt the restaurant has lost it's unique appeal and is sadly no longer one of our favorites. Taste is purely subjective so please give this place a try and decide for yourself; you may love it! The location is great and the neighborhood it resides within has become a lively and upcoming area.
- Neighborhood GemdtrwiggsDined on 9/6/2014Made reservations three day prior. Staff openly welcomed our group of 14 which included kiddies. Staff was very attentive. Food was delicious. Would recommended to other friends/family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantElieHADined on 9/3/2014In general experience was good. Food and service were good.Special Features:
- What a great brunch spot!TNgirlinDCDined on 8/31/2014I hadn't been here in years, but the food is still tasty! I was catching up with a frew friends including a friend with a 1-month old. The staff was extremely accommodating as far as space for the stroller. Mark was the best server I've had in years at a restaurant! I'll definitely make this a destination when I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meeting spotAlphaman007Dined on 8/25/2014This is very close to my job and we have all of our meetings here. This place is great for a midday meeting. The food is good, the service has always been pretty good and the location is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- props for helping the dogs!ratherbeskiingDined on 8/18/2014I dined here for a fundraiser for City Dogs--- really impressed that the restaurant worked with the nonprofit to donate 15% of proceeds to the shelter and that the waiters all promoted the drink special for the fundraiser to, which 100% of the proceeds went to City Dogs. Nice work for a great cause!Special Features:
- Terrible serviceReviewerDined on 8/17/2014When I went to The Heights this past Sunday, I was looking forward to trying their brunch. I had been for happy hour once before and had a good experience. This time, our server took over 15 minutes to come to our table initially to take our drink orders. After receiving our drinks, it was another 20 minutes until we saw our server. When we saw her at this point (30+ min.) we had to ask her to take our orders. When she took our orders, she sighed loudly (as if we were a bother to her) and sighed when we asked for minor changes. Despite our terrible server, I will say that the manager handled this situation very well. She was extremely apologetic and comped our meals. The food was ok, I just wish they trained their servers better.
- Accomodating and excellent foodLalaith7Dined on 8/16/2014I was very impressed with the accommodation this restaurant was able to provide. I was able to adjust my reservation slightly two days before and better, they were able to adjust when my brunch party arrived a bit later than our reservation as well as finding space for us outside at our request. There was a good variety of dishes available for brunch and our entire party (6 total) was very pleased with their choices. Bonus for us we hadn't realized it was restaurant week and were able to benefit from that when dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boomerdog1Dined on 8/16/2014Went for Saturday morning breakfast. Food was very good, service was terrific. Scrambled eggs, poached egg and egg "over hard" were all cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCelticDinerDined on 8/14/2014I realized that I had only gone for brunch previously and liked that a lot. Our entrees disappointed very much so. I'll return for brunch, just not dinner.Special Features:
- kristinDined on 8/11/2014This is a great spot for excellent food with a casual atmosphere, service was quick and friendly. Ginger calamari and goat cheese stuffed lamb burger were both outstandingSpecial Features:
- pleasant diningdcspeed164Dined on 8/5/2014I found The Heights to be a lovely place. The intimate setting provides diners with comfortable space to meet. The food was exceptional and the service was first rate. I would recommend "The Heights" to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodPhilVIPDined on 7/25/2014Doesn't quite match the brilliance of Logan Tavern but still good.Special Features:
- The following 526 reviews are from the The Heights reviews archive.
- Surprisingly deliciousDCFoodieDined on 7/7/2014Had a lovely snacky type of lunch with an old colleague who agreed to come to my 'hood so we both didn't have to look for parking. I found a table outdoors, which is shady at lunch and there was a lovely breeze. We both had the IPA on tap (actually very nice - can't recall the name of it -- crisp and appropriately hoppy, but not as bitter as some kraft IPAs can be) and both had the kale salad (exquisite - served with fried cheese ... mm-mm) and at the server's suggestion we ordered an appy to share -- the ginger calamari. I was nervous about ordering it because I've been disappointed by servers' ideas of 'good' seafood, but this dish was exceptional. I would definitely order it again. Our server was super patient with us. Two thumbs up!Special Features:
- Nice locationFabulousvDined on 6/29/2014Food was ok. Watching the soccer game inside was great. If you book a table you will only be able to sit inside. The patio is a first come first served basis. Would have been nice to know beforehand. Our waiter was okay just a bit absent at times. Missing a major food item in one of the dishes. Went to the ladies and saw a member of staff come out of the toilet barely splash her hands with water and she went straight back to waiting tables. Glad we had finished eating by then. But it did put me off from returning.
- ExcellentdsboxerDined on 6/25/2014The Heights is a great place to go for people-watching and a charming atmosphere to relax with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doing it right.ManicpixiemeangirlDined on 6/22/2014I went to the Heights last Sunday and had an excellent time. The service was excellent. Fast, friendly, and helpful with any and all questions. The food was amazing. I was so full and satisfied. Even with the World Cup festivities going on, it never felt chaotic or out of control. Great restaurant. I am hooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great summer eveningBFMarie127Dined on 6/20/2014This was a great choice for a low key June evening meal. Strong beer selection, fantastic menu. The fried deviled eggs were delish and unique, as was the mac and cheese, and the blackened catfish was perfectly cooked and well-seasoned. the portion sizes were more than generous as well. Service was slightly erratic, but it was in the middle of a shift change and everyone seemed to have a lot of tables. The politeness more than made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all arounddcdinerVIPDined on 6/19/2014I went to lunch here with a friend and his dog and had a great time. It was drizzling a little but the server didn't seem to mind at all. I ordered the fish tacos which were a perfect lunch portion. My friend told the server to surprise him and she hit a homerun! It was a chicken sandwich of sorts. All in all a great experience in a great spot. I will definitely be going back soon to try the famous brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is our neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/15/2014Good food, friendly to families, and a lovely outdoor patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as usualBethDined on 6/14/2014I've been to the Heights several times. The menu is always different and has such a great variety. My vegetarian husband and son and omnivore in-laws were pleased with the options. The service was curtioud, friendly, and survive. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- feedmefeedmefeedmeDined on 6/11/2014Food, service, drinks all wonderful. Great happy hour. We had a wonderful time. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SarahDined on 6/7/2014Awesome service!!! Accomodated our large surprise party. Could not be happier. Have already recommended it to friendsSpecial Features:
- Slow Service, Nice AmbianceoutandaboutDined on 5/31/2014The Heights has a great outdoor seating area that is perfect for large groups during a summer evening. I headed there later in the night for a reservation. The hostess was not very friendly, but led us to our table. The drinks were pricey and seemed watered down and took some time, as they like to "bring everyone's out at the same time." We put in our orders for entrees, which we were told later that they were not put in to the kitchen for around 30 minutes. Eventually the food came and I thoroughly enjoyed all of it and thought it was fairly priced for DC. I had the scallops appetizer and catfish as a main entree. We ordered three desserts as a group and all of them were phenomenal. Overall great for outdoor seating, decent foodSpecial Features:
- Lee41VIPDined on 5/30/2014Lovely discovery! We needed to be in the neighborhood for a theatre event, and the blind choice of Heights was perfect. Very friendly, obliging staff; yummy ginger calamari, mac-&-cheese, asparagus. Lamb on kabobs was overdone, but tastes differ, and the rest of the dish was good. If we're in the height again, we'll come to The Heights.Special Features:
- Surprised and disappointed.RedmondDined on 5/29/2014I had shrimp louie salad and could not believe they served me canned small shrimp - tasteless. Companion had fried chicken and was not impressed. Service and ambience great.
- JeremyDined on 5/25/2014Late morning brunch wasn't too crowded at all. Had reservations but most of the tables were sat outside. Inside was almost empty. Food was very good and service friendly. Samurai Bloody Mary was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation DinnerCynnvDined on 5/17/2014To be honest we ended up here by default.... The Heights was the only restaurant in the Columbia Heights area that could seat 12 for a graduation dinner on the night and at the time that we needed. Everything was Great!!! From the champagne toast to dessert the food and drink was spectacular. The service was great and we are looking forward to visiting again soon.Special Features:
- Good food, good locationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Very conveniently located near the Gala Theater. Exceptionally helpful waitstaff, even though we arrived at the same time as two large dinner groups. Food was well prepared, well presented and tasted great: Kitchen was willing to handle substitutes, which we always appreciate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific neighborhood spotVbbbVIPDined on 5/17/2014The new menu has lots a great options. Love this place for a casual evening.Special Features:
- DC hospitalityMainegirl74Dined on 5/16/2014Easy to find across-the-street parking. Very friendly atmosphere. Food was good. Appetizers good but small-ish serving size. Tables near back of restaurant were quiet enough for good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation dinnernotwelcomeDined on 5/16/2014The waiter was very dry and made us feel unwelcome. She brought us the bill without even offering us desert. We were a party of 13. I probably will not recommend this restaurant to anyone. I felt like they didn't want us there.Special Features:
- Great food, great placesmdangeloDined on 5/14/2014We are making this the place we take people when they come to town Always a solid menu, good drinks, great service ... mmm
- The Heights 5/10/14bmHeightsreviewDined on 5/10/2014The services was a little on the slow side, but the food and atmosphere were good. We appreciated the availability of a kids menu for our 10-year-old and the availability of gluten-free options was a plus.Special Features:
- Great for every meal of the dayOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/10/2014I've been for many brunches and dinners and think The Heights is really great. The turkey hash is a treat at brunch (I order with avocado on top!). Servers are great and the menu has enough options for everyone without being overwhelming. Great for large groups or meals for 1-2Special Features:
- Great findDinner4twoDined on 4/25/2014My husband and I were visiting DC for a few days and The Heights was a couple of blocks from where we stayed. We went for the convenience factor and enjoyed our dinner and the staff so much that we went back the following night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.