2421 Berlin Tpke
Berlin, CT 06037Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hawthorne-inn.com/dining.php
- Phone: 8608283571
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Hawthorne
At The Hawthorne, it's the cuisine that brings guests to us from far-and-wide! With Patrons from all over New England we strive to offer the very best in dinner faire, including a variety of beef from the grill and succulent seafood items. Our extensive wine menu wonderfully compliments our vast array of beef, poultry, seafood and more. With a variety of dining options our guests are able to enjoy a meal in their cozy booth or reserve a private table. Searching for the ultimate private dining experience? Request our Wine Cellar Room to enjoy fine dining in a gorgeous brick walled room with chandelier lighting and rustic décor. For even more privacy contact us to book one of our 12 private function rooms seating any amount of guests between 8 and 350. We work with you to make your dining experience special and unique!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Hawthorne reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Very disappointingchasmDined on 7/12/2014The food was over salted and left me feeling that I could have prepared it better myself. Waitress collected our salads before we finished. Very few other people were there on a Saturday night. I should have left before I went in this restaurant. Don't bother with this place.
- The following 31 reviews are from the The Hawthorne reviews archive.
- foodie101dining101Dined on 5/24/2014Prime rib was salty with little flavor. Vegetable lasagna and scallops were excellent Will not go back againSpecial Features:
- Unimpressive and NoisyNog69Dined on 5/17/2014As other reviewers have stated, the decor of this restaurant is very sparse and unimpressive. The food was very good and reasonably priced, and the service was excellent. My biggest complaint is that the restaurant is situated between the bar and a large room where wedding receptions are held. There was a wedding reception going on there, and what sounded like a bachelorette party in the bar. There was constant loud music, cheering, laughing, and other loud noises throughout our meal, and it felt like we were in the middle of a frat party. We went there to celebrate our anniversary, so all the partying wasn't what we expected. Maybe just bad timing for us, but we won't be going back.
- food was cold and long waitletdownDined on 4/25/2014We waited for about fifteen minutes before the server came to take drink order. And with only about four tables sat in the restaurant. Also when our food came out my wife's filet was over cooked and her vegetables were cold. My prime rib was left over from the last night and not warmed up, and my potato was have way cooked. We were not happy with our meal and let down. Being a married couple with children we don't get to go to dinner just ourselves very often. So with a bad meal we were very disappointed. Will not return to the Hawthorn again.
- How things do changeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014The Hawthorne has been a favorite for decades. We don't get there often and this week's trip was a revelation. I knew the restaurant had changed hands. I knew the menu had changed. I was not prepared for the change in ambiance. Where I expected to find quiet elegance. I found upscale "diner." The food was still wonderful. The chef continues to be a highlight of the facility. We were met at the door with a screech demanding that we check in with the hostess. The cocktails ordered were poorly prepared. Our server (Jill) was very pleasant. She is obviously still learning the job and will hopefully become as efficient as she is enthusiastic. A parade of dirty dish tubs was carried past our table all evening.Special Features:
- We were celebrating a 25thwesthartfordmommaDined on 4/12/2014We were celebrating a 25th anniversary and The Hawthorne was the perfect spot. We had been seated in a private room and our server was fabulous. The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with a friendDeanieDined on 4/2/2014Found this restaurant the ideal atmosphere for a Long overdue get together with an old friend. Food was fabulous, wine recommended by the waiter perfect. Atmosphere for our reunion Was excellent. The experience was so pleasant we did not want to leave. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- prime ribTeeeVIPDined on 3/26/2014The decor is pure 70s with a prime rib to match. A nice place in an area without much fine dining, this place is an over- achiever.Food is good, if not spectacular. Staff tries hard to please. Worth a visitSpecial Features:
- Disappointed in prime ribs dinner,Oldcustomer2Dined on 3/8/2014Although the portions were large, the meat was not tender but chewy and without flavor! Much disappointed and not likely to return!Special Features:
- You can't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014Since I was a child The Hawthorne Inn was my family's "go to" restaurant. The Prime Rib, and most menu items as well as service always superb.Haven't been there in a few years. Saddend when the familiar faces were not there. Slight mix up when some of my party arrived and were seated leaving the not so friendly host staring at his computer trying to find my reservation. It took 15 minutes for someone to take our drink order. We were then told they ran out of prime rib and lobster leaving us scrambling to select other dinners. How do you run out of your signature item? My baked stuffed shrimp was rubbery and saw no "lump" crab meat in the stuffing. A disapointing special occasion evening for me. I guess you just can't go backI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, But Not Like The Old DaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014Don't get me wrong, the food was very good. Prime rib nothing like its hey day. Meat was good, but it tasted like the roast was injected with salt. It would taste good, then you would get a very salty piece. Calamari excellent, veal chop special excellent. Also had a hummus platter that was very good. Not much ambience. I would also have appreciated if my table was wiped down between courses instead o putting clean plats of food over the mess!Special Features:
- satevesateveDined on 2/15/2014prime rib was overcooked the first time, 2nd time was 50 % fat, wife's baked potato was ice cold, ran out of sour cream, ended up not charging for the 2 entrees. Very disappointed !!
- Not so greatDinner214Dined on 2/14/2014Had been there in the past a few years back. Food was not good and won't go back. Order prime rib med. and could not cut it with a steak knife at all. New owners and a new decor. Not a fan. the tables and chairs make the newly remodeled dinning room look cheap.
- Valentine's DayloverlaydownDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I chose to go to the Hawthorne Inn this year for Valentine's Day after not having gone out in several years due to having young children. We chose this restaurant because of memories I had of my parents taking us there on New Year's Eve. It was always something special and fancy. We made reservations for 7:30 and arrived at 7:29. We waited about 20 minutes just to get to the counter to give our name. Everyone in line was frustrated but in good spirits especially since we all had made reservations. The woman at the front desk was a very pleasant older woman who really did not have the energy to keep up with a busy holiday crowd. She was the only person seating people and answering phones. This was only the beginning. out of ch
- Not set up for a crowdAndreDined on 2/14/2014Went there on Valentines Day. Took a while from the time we were sat to be seen by our waitress. We ordered an app that never came. Our salad and entree came at the same time. Food was average, presentation was nice. Drinks were over priced. It's clear they were not used to being very busy as we were there for almost two hours with 2 courses arriving together.
- Christmas dinner2famdinersDined on 12/23/2013My brother and his wife were in town for the holidays. We took them and my mom to the Hawthorne. We ate in the bar as we liked the atmosphere in there better - more relaxed. There were definitely not a lot of people there. We almost had the whole room to ourselves. The service was excellent, as was the food. We all had a great time and will go back again.Special Features:
- Ambience ruined it from the startsweetNsaltyDined on 12/6/2013I found it to be a wannabe trendy restaurant. The table needed linens and the chairs were no comfortable. I also thought the lighting was too bright and the open floor plan made me feel like I was sitting in the middle of a room being watched by all the people seated around the room. Not a fan. Also found the food to be similar to what I expect when you go to a large event where they cook for hundreds of people, it was very blah. I was glad I had a gift certificate and didn't have to pay the whole bill out of my pocket.
- Good sized portionsHooareyouDined on 11/14/2013The food was good and the portions large. The service was good and the place is very quiet during weekday lunchtimes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night at the Hawthorne RestaBigAlHartfordDined on 10/11/2013On the second Friday of October I took my wife out to the Hawthorne Restaurant. We were immediately greeted and taken to our table. The waitress promptly brought over our menus and took our drink orders. That set the tone for the rest of the night. Service was prompt and efficient without being overly intrusive. My wife had a vegetarian plate and pronounced it to be excellent. I had the smaller serving of the prime rib and I am glad I did since I wasn't able to finish it. It was cooked medium rare as ordered and the au jus was excellent. My only complaint was that the mashed potatoes were a touch dry and the vegetables were run of the mill. We finished the meal off with a creme brulee which was very good. On the whole, worth it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The special offered was verylotsoffunDined on 8/31/2013The special offered was very good in price and in food selectionSpecial Features:
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2013We were brought a bottle of wine and were told it was for our anniversary. It was my husbands birthday. I took him because it was rated great for prime rib. The meat was awful. I ordered baked lobster and received it boiled. The waitress told me if I wanted to eat with my husband I should stick with the boiled lobster. Our wine was opened and cork was broken. I was so disappointed since I reserched best place in Ct for prime rib.
- HappyRickDined on 6/22/2013Very pleased with the dinning and especially the calamari. The best we ever had. Most we danced in 24 yrs, live band. It was great.Special Features:
- Neat spot for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2013I am the foodie of the group and when us engineers get together for work I get the task of finding us places to eat. I made a reservation for The Hawthorne but was seated in the bar area, I think the restaurant was either not open or it was late for the restaurant. inicially it was kind of loud, but settled soon after we arrived, group had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hawthornemreasyDined on 5/2/2013the food was beyond compare. if you are a meat and potato person, you are in the wrong place. chef anthony met with us briefly after dinner, and his knowledge of dining became very apparent. we had the endive appetizer [amazing ] and i had the seafood linguini, and my wife had the seared salmon. both were wonderful. we would return in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Someone had told us this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013Someone had told us this place was great and had improved recently. We tried on Anniversary and did not find it special at all. They had a big group there so our waitress was bouncing between that and tables she had. Long periods of time she was gone, and kept apologizing as kitchen was backed up. Frankly not my problem, and was not impressed. Food was room temp at best (probably because sat so long to be served) Will NOT return.
- Unfortunately, the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/31/2013Unfortunately, the restaurant ran out of some food on the buffet by the time of our reservation and that was a little disappointing to everyone in our group. Many of us traveled quite a distance to meet for an Easter Brunch only to discover that some food items were no longer available.Special Features:
- This restaurant has been aroundladadoDined on 2/16/2013This restaurant has been around since I was a child; 50 years later it's even better. The sea bass special was outstanding. Large portion, cooked to perfection. The choices in meats; three sizes make it a good choice for folks with differing appetites.Special Features:
- Food is awful!!!!!!!!!!SiouxzqsreviewsDined on 2/14/2013Hadn't been there in years and it was always known for their decent food. We were pleasantly surprised to see the renovations. Waited in bar for table - had a glass of wine and good conversation with bar staff. We got up to see if our table was ready and it was. We were seated. The atomosphere is too quiet. You can hear a pin drop during a conversation. Server was on her 3rd day. She was nice but clearly didn't understand her job duties as of yet. From start to finish on the meal, the food was awful, it is definitely of the "frozen" kind - especially the lobster. Should have known by the pricing that was offered. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone until the new owners can figure out how to run a restaurant!
- The valentine special wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The valentine special was not that appealing so we ordered off the menu and it was great!Special Features:
- The menue was small and itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013The menue was small and it wasn't as good as it used to be. Took my son for his 19th birthday and it wasn't what I had bilt it up to him. Probably won't go back anytime soon.Special Features:
- We came to dinner at the HawthorneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/22/2013We came to dinner at the Hawthorne Inn to celebrate a friend's 90th birthday. We expected excellent food served by a trained and dedicated waiter in a setting of appropriate ambience. The food did not disappoint. However, we were seated in the back of the bar with two televisions running. The table settings were placed around us in a clumsy manner by one of the bartenders who subsequently acted as our waiter. Our dinner was cut short around 9:30PM when the bartenders turned out the televisions and most of the lights, twice lowered the lights over our table, and departed the scene. When we left a few minutes later, the bar and foyer were deserted. Despite the good food, the overall experience was not as we expected.
- Excellent Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2013What a great meal!!! Our mussels were tender and very tasty. We enjoyed the filet and prime rib (however on the menu it say's "roast beef". Our waiter was attentive and did a great job - we will definitely be back.Special Features: