The Hat Resto Pub
10251 Jasper Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J1X8Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
The Hat Resto Pub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thehatonjasper.com/
- Phone: 7804294471
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 11:00pm; Friday: 11:00am - 12:00am; Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Global, International, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Mike
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Office and business catering in downtown area.
- Entertainment: Contemporary music/songs; DJ; weekly live music.
A word from The Hat Resto Pub
The Hat Resto Pub is conveniently located in the heart of Jasper Avenue, surrounded by world-class hotels & is walking distance from Shaw Conference Center & is two blocks from the future home of the Downtown Arena. It is Edmonton's oldest restaurant, established in 1912, making it more than a century old. For a very long time, it was known as The Silk Hat, a casual diner. It was next to The Paramount Theater & many Edmontonians have fond memories of going to the movies & then to The Silk Hat for burgers & milk shakes. Eventually the restaurant became known as The Hat Resto Pub. Currently the restaurant serves contemporary cuisine featuring different flavours. It also serves draft & bottled beer & many types of cocktails. It has earned a sterling reputation for top-notch food quality & service. Some must-trys include gourmet Prime Rib Burgers, Homemade Crabcakes, Artichoke & Spinach Dip, Butter Chicken, Panko-crusted Goat Cheese, Mussels cooked in wine, & wraps.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Hat Resto Pub - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
The Hat Resto Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (39)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (28)fit for foodies (20)late-night find (14)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (9)romantic (6)special occasion (6)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- EnjoyableMorrDined on 10/15/2014Really good time. It was a little understaffed so our drinks and food took a long time. I took advantage of the wing and beer specials and felt that I was treated differently for it. I always try to tip more if the food I order is on special but I was hesitant because the waitress was really slow. All the food at our table was fantastic and I'm sure service is normally great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunchfoodguruDined on 10/15/2014Service was fast, food was hot and presented well, taste was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly good lunch spottrishDined on 9/30/2014I figured The Hat to be more of an evening spot, but it was lively and service was fast at lunch. The sirloin steak salad with balsamic vinaigrette was excellent. Once my companion and I finished lunch, the place emptied out quickly to completely empty by 1:15 PM. Clearly this is a favourite lunch outing for many downtown workers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The HatCareyloveswineDined on 9/20/2014Such a great little place to have dinner with a group of friends! Never disappointed with the food, and such good wine deals on Saturday evenings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great!!!Lippy58Dined on 9/17/2014Great food, great service. Never disappointed - thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of interestLs789sjsDined on 9/16/2014We were greeted with a very sharp toned "do you have reservations", to which we answered "yes". We were pointed to a table with a reserved sign on it and followed shortly there after by the "server/hostess" with our menus. Very cold, not at all friendly! The food was SLOW to come out. The tables on either side of us which arrived after us received their food first. Burgers at one table poutine at the other. We order chicken burgers that were dry, the bacon tasted burnt and a salad that was soggy and uninspired. I heard only good things about The Hat, but I can honestly say I won't go back.
- Better than expected!lovetotrynewrestaurantDined on 9/5/2014Seated immediately. Drinks were good, atmosphere nice. Lots of food options.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Bartender was incredibly rude and would start walking away before I was finished speaking. We asked for change at the end (and even after change it would have been a 20% tip), and he never returned with our change. The food was great. My first glass of wine, however tasted old, as though the bottle had been open for days. No one asked how the food was. My second glass of wine great. I changed to a different wine, and it was fresh. They were very busy, which was nice to see, but that does not give an excuse for rudeness from the service staff. Thank you.
- Good vibeCrossfitKRDined on 8/23/2014It was a Saturday night and the Hat was full of young people getting ready to head to the bar. I ordered their take on Mac and Cheese and my date ordered the Butter Chicken. Both were quite good and unique dishes. The owner, Mike, joined us for some chit chat am made us feel welcome. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014The Hat Resto Pub is a great little gem right downtown. The food is always excellent, service is outstanding and they take reservations - even on a busy Friday at noon! I'm never afraid to take clients there and it's a great spot for team get togethers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We sat at our table and were ignored for 15 minutes at which we chose to leave.
- DowntownDenboDined on 8/19/2014If you go here in the evening be warned that parking downtown in this area is very difficult. However, it is a nice little restaurant with comfortable tables and tv's lined on the wall. The menu is typical, nothing out of the ordinary but the food was quite good (but overpriced for what you are getting). The night we went (Tuesday) glasses of pale ale were on special ($6 not such a great deal) and the special burger of the day was $17.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014We were very impressed by the food and the decor/building. 102 years is a long time for one building to house a restaurant. The food is a blend of traditional with twists of East Indian. The Shawarma was fantastic and my life thought her hamburger was one of the best ever. Definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Not a place I'd go back toBridge22Dined on 8/15/2014I went to The Hat with a friend for dinner and drinks. I had high hopes for this restaurant but ultimately left disappointed. I enjoyed the eclectic drink menu but was less enthused with the food. We both ordered the Mac and Cheese and felt the menu did not describe it like the way it came out. It came out at 3 patties of Kraft dinner and cream cheese mixed together. This restaurant is too expensive to be flogging off Kraft dinner to its customers. Thankfully, our server was friendly and made the experience seamless even though the food was disgusting.
- Good food, always poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014As with every experience at The Hat, we enjoyed our food and drinks, but the service was super slow. This is not an isolated incident.I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed :(dineredmDined on 8/12/2014The hat used to be one of my favorite places to go...We celebrated many friends birthdays there cause it was an awesome atmosphere with great food! the burgers were the best i had ever tasted....After a few years of not being able to go, i took someone there who had never tried it. I raved about how amazing it was and then once we ordered our burgers they were very lack lustre....It was disappointing to once have had an incredible made in house burger that was freshy and delicious.....and now they seemed to be pre-produced frozen run of the mill burgers slapped on a bun with the old amazing toppings, that was lame! I don't think i will ever be back, there's no point when i could make the same burger at home :(Special Features:
- Too bad about the neighborhoodJasmineDined on 8/11/2014Lovely little spot tucked away in a not so pleasant area of Jasper. Fine during the day for lunch, but by dinner you've got panhandlers and homeless all over. The food is tasty, though the burgrs are a bit overpriced for obviously pre-formed patties. Nice beer and drink specials too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousdirtcityrollerVIPDined on 8/11/2014This is one of my favourite lunch spots - excellent service, delicious food, and a staff that has the time to crack a joke. One of the best in the whole city!Special Features:
- Great food but very loudLmaksymDined on 8/8/2014The food is great and the service is excellent....but the crowd is loud which is OK unless you want to have a conversation.Special Features:
- JillianLauraDined on 8/6/2014Not overly impressive. Had a veggie burger which was not house made and pretty bland. Service was slow and although we had a reservation, were told to just sit wherever.
- Outstanding!retrodinerDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I were well acquainted with the Silk Hat as it was known in the late 60's. The fun place to go on a date to get our teacups read. When I saw the TeamBuy special I purchased 2 gifts and we visited this past Saturday around 5 pm. We made reservations but at this time we wouldn't have needed them. It was heart-warming to see that some of the original diner was still visible; the old brick walls, counter, and even the old neon sign from out front was up on the wall. There was also a framed collage of the old menus! The food was spectacular! Extensive menu, good old-fashioned diner fare, but kicked up a notch! Gourmet hotdogs, huge hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, beer-battered fish & chips! All amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late lunch, early supperBruncher14Dined on 8/2/2014My friend ordered the mushroom soup and the prime rib sliders. She said the sliders did not have a special taste and they were okay. the mushroom soup, as we both noted, the mushroom soup looked like it had been blended and did not have that nice fresh mushroom taste. I ordered the steak with the blue cheese topping and the house salad. The salad was fresh and I found the taste excellent, even though I normally don't like fruit on my salad and careful about feta cheese, I took the rest home and ate it later. The steak was cooked nicely but the blue cheese topping was so over bearing that is all you could taste. Our waiter took our critic in stride and said he would mention our concerns to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience :)MoRoDined on 8/1/2014I had never been before but read the reviews and checked out the menu online, before deciding to try it out. This is a great little restaurant that I never even knew existed before! The decor is really great, the service was friendly and food came in a reasonable amount of time. The owner served us our food, and was very friendly and happily answered questions about the food. The crab cakes are homemade and oh so delicious! Everything else was also top-notch! I will definitely recommend this restaurant to others and go back again :) I even left a 20% tip and I rarely do that!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014It's a great spot. Nice ambience and very nice and acommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Decent location and OK venue but the food was crummy. Only go if you have a groupon. Full price not worth it.
- Store bought burgers?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Everything was good except for the patty/burger meat. I can't believe that a pub wouldn't make there own burger patty.
- Always great!Hilderina12Dined on 7/12/2014The Hat is a great resto-pub in the heart of Edmonton. In my opinion, the Starters are the best and so is the dessert! Great place for a nice date-night. It's not too loud and on a hot summer day, it's typical for this place to be empty and close down early. So if you're heading over after 10PM call ahead to make sure they are open!Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The burgers here are delicious, and they have a fun cocktail menu to choose from!Special Features:
- Always great!Lippy58Dined on 7/10/2014The Hat is never disappointing. Food is always good. And with Nick serving us, all is great!Special Features:
- Very impressedphysiquegirlDined on 7/5/2014We were in Edmonton for an event and needed to find a place downtown that would accept reservations late on a Saturday night. I had a look at the website and went ahead and reserved a table for our party. I was very happy with the staff, the decor, the food and the vibe. The owner took the time to come and say hi and he was just a super nice guy. We will definitely go back the next time we are in the city.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedHungryandHonestDined on 7/4/2014I had two issues with my visit to 'The Hat': 1) First, I was going to use my Groupon, but only found out when I arrived that my Groupon was only good for certain days. However, when I made my reservation, which was required, I put noted that I would be using my Groupon. Why couldn't they let me know that my groupon was not eligible for my reservation. We stayed because we didn't have time to go somewhere else. 2) We ate our meals which were good, but not great. And when one of us paid by cash for a bill that was $14, and was given $20. Our waiter came back with her change, and asked if she wanted any money back (well beyond a good tip of 20%), which made her uncomfortable saying that 'yes' she would like her change back.
- The following 53 reviews are from the The Hat Resto Pub reviews archive.
- Pleasant SurpriseAngusDined on 6/21/2014I had the classic burger with mushroom soup and my wife had the chicken burger with salad. Both of us agreed that Hat burgers were the best we've had at a burger speciality restaurant. As well the salad was fresh and tasty and the soup was very flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Self importantPenguinDined on 6/19/2014I was disappointed with the mac and cheese. It tasted like Panko encrusted kraft dinner. It was even bright yellow like KD. The sliders were dry. The perogy nachos tasted like frozen chimo perogies covered in cheese and salsa.
- Poor lunch servicewe8dinnerDined on 6/18/2014The food was good but the service was exceptionally slow. We only had an hour for lunch and the food was brought to us about 15 minutes before we needed to leave. We had to ask the server to check on our order and noted at that time we needed to leave to be back at work for 1 pm. Good thing we work in a building a block away because we didn't get our bill until 1:05. We'll give the restaurant one more try to see if the timing can work for lunch. If not, there are plenty other of good downtown lunch choices.
- Slow non attentive serviceEatgoodDined on 6/17/2014Went there for lunch, walked in and waited 10 minutes. Not a single server even glanced our way. I walked up to one of the two on staff. She was frazzled. Told us to sit at a table and left. The other server was ours I guessed, was busy dodging eye contact and running around like his pants were on fire. Terrible service, food mediocre and a waste of a team lunch.
- Foods ok but services greatKMtmDined on 6/12/2014Burgers are fairly big so two kids can share per order. Side salad is not as good as expected. Calamari appertizer not tasty. If using groupon, read fine print on restrictions. Restaurant needs better lighting. Owner and server are super friendly. Services were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeLAALDined on 6/10/2014Great place for drinks after work or a quick lunch :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LadiesWhoDineDined on 5/22/2014We had a very enjoyable time at The Hat and the service was attentive. Everyone really like their meals and we although not easy to find parking, we spoke of going back one day. The deep fried cheesecake for dessert was excellent and was enough for 5 of us to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable night outLeahVIPDined on 5/10/2014Very pleasant staff and great food. It is a very nice casual place for dinner.Special Features:
- Never a DisappointmentpocamomDined on 5/9/2014A very friendly, relaxed place to take clients. Very convenient location in the business district. The menu has something for everyone , the food is very good, well presented and the staff are very knowledgeable re the entire menu and accommodating for special orders.Special Features: