The Hardware Store
17601 Vashon Highway SW
Vashon, WA 98070Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Hardware Store
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thsrestaurant.com/wp/
- Phone: (206) 463-1800
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Everyday!
Breakfast served from 8am to 2pm
Lunch from 11am to 2pm
Dinner service starts at 5:00
You are also welcome to join us between 2 and 5pm for Burgers, Lahvosh Pizzas and More!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: We know your event is more than creating a meal, it’s about creating memories.
That’s why we take great care to craft inspired seasonal menus, creating delicious memorable events every time. We work with you to meet your wishes & the needs of your guests. Our creative culinary team has a broad range of experience, from cooking delicious gluten free meals to traditional Northwest fare. Whether you’re hosting your event in The Hardware Store’s art Gallery, at a local Vashon farm, or even from your home, we work with you to create the special celebration you desire.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you’re hosting your event in The Hardware Store’s art Gallery or at a local Vashon farm, we will work with you to meet your wishes & the needs of your guests. We know your event is more than creating a meal, it’s about creating memories.
A word from The Hardware Store
We invite you to come on down for a great meal, the perfect martini, or a fantastic bottle of wine from our cellar. Experience our full service espresso bar and take a stroll back to the Art Gallery which showcases island artists. Meet your family, friends or business collegues at The Hardware Store Restaurant (we offer free Wi-Fi). Most of all…enjoy your time here and soon you will see why we call this “the heartbeat of the Island.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Hardware Store - Best Restaurants in Vashon ›
The Hardware Store reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (14)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (7)fit for foodies (7)great for brunch (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (3)special occasion (3)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Not our best dining experience.GPFJCFDined on 11/16/2014A long wait for waiter to arrive. The service was glacial. 50 minutes between ordering dinner and it being served. No amenities, very meager. No bread/oil, except when we asked when our meal would come, the waitress brought bread, then the meal came immediately after. Out of the wine we wanted (Australian malbec). Boxed our own food at the end (no sticker for the box, either). If this had been an extra-special occasion, or we had had out-of-town-company, we would have been very disappointed and apologetic to our guest(s). As dinner guests, we should be made to feel special and important, and that was not the case--this is something we have experienced on more than one occasion, but we feel it is time to express our disappointment. However, the food, when it came was tasty.Special Features:
- Getting loudervash0nfanDined on 11/7/2014Always good food and good service...the noise level seemed high this weekendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday.mimagrchDined on 11/4/2014We chose The Hardware Café as our monthly destination trip and birthday celebration for our friend, there was a total of 5 of us. We were about 20 minutes earlier than we had reserved, they sat us right away. We had gone into the Quilt Shop next door prior to the restaurant, there we received a coupon for 10% off which they honored for all 5 of us, also they gave our friend a complimentary birthday fresh homemade donut which we all ordered for dessert. Super friendly staff, great food.Special Features:
- DinerVIPDined on 10/22/2014Other reviewers complained about the dearth of menu items. I don't agree. The items chosen show a detail to a select few and the chefs favorites. Salads and fish tacos were delicious.Special Features:
- Food was Good, Server had a tudeSomethingPretentiousVIPDined on 9/1/2014Food was what expected, nice, but the server did not make us feel welcome. The hostess was pleasant and was helpful and seemed to be doing a lot.Special Features:
- THS was yummy!iluvfoodDined on 8/23/2014We were a group of 6 - we had a reservation - it took 30 mins to get a table. That was the only unenjoyable part of our THS experience. The food was wonderful, everyone ordered something different - fish and chips, oriental chicken salad, omelet, breakfast burrito and a wedge salad and everything was great. Service was a little slow, but we were not in a hurry so it was okay with us. We would recommend THS and we will be back - make a reservation - those without them had a 45 min to 1 hour wait - for Saturday Brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the Hardware StoreNaomi1Dined on 8/11/2014It's a great spot to see friends and neighbors...a great place to take friends...a neat place to celebrate important occasions.Special Features:
- CandineDined on 8/2/2014The restaurant was lovely and the staff accommodating, but my husband became ill after eating the fish tacos.
- MediocreVashongDined on 7/28/2014Small, uninspired menu. Slow service. Mediocre food. Only go there if you have to. Many more interesting options on the island run by people who actually care. Waited for hostess. Waited for waitress. Waited for drinks. Waited for expensive diner-like food to arrive. Took 2+ hours to have sandwiches. The boring never-changing menu just got cut further leaving hardly anything you actually want to eat.
- The following 51 reviews are from the The Hardware Store reviews archive.
- Lunch on 7/26/2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Hi There - The food was good, but your selection was very limited. We came for lunch on a Saturday and there was a lot of breakfast items. I love breakfast/brunch, but was in the mood for lunch. Maybe you could consider expanding lunch items a bit. Really love the online reservation system - worked like a charm! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedDisappointedDined on 7/21/2014We went to The Hardware Store while on vacation on Vashon island. The staff is very courteous and helpful, the restaurant has a great history, nice atmosphere, and a fantastic wine list. However, the menu was disappointing to say the least. Appetizers are very good but overpriced (2 crab cakes for $15?), and they have a grand total of 12 entrees. The food was good (but not stellar), but there's just not enough selection, and it's a tad pricy. For the money, I'd rather go to Anthony's in Tacoma.Special Features:
- SeattleTasteSeattleTasteDined on 7/13/2014Went for brunch on week-end. Seated and served promptly, although I was early for my reservation. Served burnt toast. I had to remind the waitress to bring the replacement. Toast came, wrong bread but I ate it as my eggs were getting cold. Also forgotten my side fruit order. Again, the waitress brought it when I reminded her. Prompt in refilling my beverages. Food ok for a basic breakfast. Eggs and bacon cooked the way I like them. The potatoes were cooked well but could use some seasoning. Fruit was fresh and attractive. I probably would go again if I'm on the Island as there aren't many choices, but I would be Very specific in my ordering and let them know of previous problems so that I could get my meal intact and hot.Special Features:
- Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Food was good, but service made the night. Very attentive, personable and knowledgeable. Started with crab cakes- full of crab instead of filler. Steak was perfect, as was mushroom stroganoff. Yes, service was leisurely, but that's what you go to the island for, right?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would I go back? Yes.WhimsygirlDined on 6/21/2014An island friend had recommended THS. We were happy to see GF and Veg options on menu. Our lunches were tasty, the service was friendly and timely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beers and menu, Fun SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014I met up for dinner with old buddy I hadn't seen for a while. We had a few of the brews on tap which were awesome. He had the Clam Linguine and I had the house burger rare. This was some terrific food. We ate at the bar, but the tables looked like a great place to eat too. The bartender was super friendly. I would go back tonight or any other night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice stop on on a scooter tripOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014We stopped while touring Vashon on our scooter. Nice laid back ambience, food was very good, overall had a nice warm feel and was a great end to a fun day. Server was the only down side, seemed too busy to give us much attention, didn't mention specials, we had to ask for drinks and bread that were showing up on every other table around us. But I think she was just over-tabled. We'll come back anyway to try it again.Special Features:
- foodieDined on 5/23/2014the noise level is deafening. the service outstanding the food fair to good.Special Features:
- Plan on having dessertqtpieDined on 5/23/2014The food was very good - but the dessert even better! The apple pie tasted just like the ones my Mom used to make every Friday night when I was growing up. My husband and I talk about taking the ferry boat over just to have dessert! There were some drinks that looked yummy, but we didn't try any.Special Features:
- Unfortunate brunchBenjaminFDined on 5/11/2014I really like the Hardware Store and the food they serve. However, I was disappointed to realize that on Mother's Day they only had a buffet brunch option. I find buffets to be more expensive and lower quality than regular dining and this was no exception. The food was good, but nowhere near their regular standards and not even remotely worth the price. I still love the restaurant and I am sure I will visit again, just not for a buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If we'd only known...PeggyDined on 5/11/2014We made reservations on Mother's day having gone to a wonderful brunch a few years ago. I'd checked the website, but didn't see any information indicating there was a buffet this time. So we were surprised to discover that yes, there was a brunch and it was $28. Once over the price shock, we made the most of it. There were two standout dishes: the salmon wellington and the shrimp cocktail. Unfortunately, they kept running out of foods, which meant a lot of standing around waiting for dishes to be replenished. The food is good, the service friendly, but they were clearly overwhelmed by holiday volume. And they really need to put holiday special info in an easy to spot place on the website. I'd go again but not for a special occasion.
- Predictably, Consistently ExcellentACDittmannDined on 4/24/2014We've been denizens of this restaurant for about six years now, and we are still as thrilled with it as we were back then when it was (for us) a new find. Restaurateur Melinda Sondgerath, a design professional as well, has crafted a warm, comforting environment, vaguely suggestive of former times, when the space really was "the" hardware store on the island. The display of local artists' work on the walls then takes the space back into the present: Artsy, trendy -- there's not just food for the tummy here, but also for the soul. And oh, what food! The talented young chefs they employ keep the menu "alive" with fresh possibilities and amazing specials. The halibut, when available, is a must. And don't forget the homemade pies!Special Features:
- BrightbulbsDined on 4/20/2014We were seated promptly and got the brunch menu at 5 pm! We asked for the dinner menu and did receive one. During our meal we noticed a special entrée on another diner's table. We were not informed by our server of any specials. The water served was barely cool - not at all cold. But the overall food was tasty, although the dinner menu was a little sparse. All in all it was a fun adventure to come onto the island for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice old fashion restaurant!ARPdxDined on 4/20/2014Got here for Easter brunch....friendly restaurant...awesome food..buffet was well balanced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a casual dinnerFoodisgoodDined on 4/18/2014Enjoyed this place very much although service was poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Picky girlfriend was happytryallDined on 4/12/2014My Kosher and gluten free lady friend and I who just likes good food of any kind were both very pleased with the menu and the food itself. Most of the entres had the option of being gluten free so there was a lot for her to choose from. The wait staff was wonderful and their famous banana cream pie was great. Even the espresso drinks were good. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday celebrationEmilyVIPDined on 3/27/2014We had a wonderful meal and great service when celebrated my friend's birthday at the Hardware Store. Live music entertained us as we sipped on a lovely rose. I had the baja tacos which were fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- The Hardware Store alwaysChrisDined on 3/14/2014The Hardware Store always has great food and a can make the meat eaters and vegans in our group happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly AND good food!jbskyDined on 3/8/2014We had a reservation for 6 that became 9, and the staff was SO great about switching things up. Our waitperson was relaxed and handled the large group with humor and grace. And the food was excellent. We were there for brunch so I can only comment on that - great sausage, eggs were yummy, everyone seemed very happy with what they ordered. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to take out-of-townersHeatherDined on 2/25/2014With a carnivore, a strict vegetarian, a pescadarian, and someone with GF/DF intolerances, going out to dinner can be challenging. The Hardware Store has a menu that works for all of us and has some of the best food I've had on the West Coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchjavamanDined on 2/23/2014Our party of three had a wonderful brunch experience. There was a table actually reserved for our reservation time! We were very impressed. Restaurant was busy, but service was quick and our waiter was helpful and knowledgable. All three of us sampled each others plates and were extremely pleased with each. Kudos to the kitchen! We would come back in a flash! Interesting art on the walls and in the restrooms too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy - Eatiply too!NWwriterDined on 2/15/2014The Hardware Store is our new favorite special occassion "go to" restaurant. It's a short ferry ride away from West Seattle - on Vashon Island. Really a gem! The food is FABULOUS - excellent quality and very well prepared. We've had a wide variety of dishes at both lunch and dinner and have never been disappointed with our food. We like the laid back atmosphere and appreciate that while casual and comfortable, The Hardware Store is very clean and well-run. Service is attentive without being intrusive. I also LOVE that The Hardware Store is a member of Eatiply. For every meal they serve, another "meal" is donated to this non-profit. How great is that! Since we live in Seattle, we'd like to try 50 North, their sister restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, visit the localsKimberlyDined on 2/15/2014Had a wonderful breakfast at the Hardware Store, the bacon was smoked and crisp, the pancakes and french toast perfectly yummy (per kiddos) and my omelet was cooked to perfection. Toast was served with butter and local jam. The best part of the place is the local art on the walls - in fact my girlfriend's Dad (Walter) is not only a local (and yes was at the counter with his kept at the restaurant mug) but in one of Pam's paintings! Great vibe and worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Speical Needs Food AccomidatingRonnDined on 1/25/2014I appricate the various food selections that are for vegans, vegetarians and gluten-free. The willingness for the wait staff to answer questions about the food. Dined with two friends who hads never been and they liked my choice to eat. One draw back was our prompted us to leave early was based on a large group was very loud, plus they allowed their children to run around the table and the parents joined them. One child had a large plastic sword that he ran with and into my guest as we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best CalamariScrawltrawlerDined on 12/30/2013What a treat to have perfect calamari! Very good 'signature' burger, interesting & delicious appys. Would go for special occasion or just out with friends. A birthday party was in full swing adding to the energetic atmosphere. Be sure to check out the art!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/29/2013Nice atmosphere, polite servers. Food slow and cold. Coffee refills hard to come by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss itwineanddineDined on 11/6/2013The Hardware Store is a gem among gems on Vashon Island. Everything from the music playing to the banana cream pie, we had a wonderful experience and look forward to going back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love the location of thisleigh539Dined on 8/24/2013We love the location of this restaurant and the service was great. The appetizers were quite good but the entrees were so-so.
- Worth the ferry ride.LuvNomNomVIPDined on 8/17/2013Great food from that tastes fresh. I ate my whole THS Omelet, and it was a 3 egg omelet! Friends also enjoyed their meals (Monte Cristo, Chilaquiles, and True Cod Fish & Chip), since they disappeared into their tummies as well. Fries and orange juice were also tasty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!magoo356Dined on 8/4/2013Great food and great service! Worth the trip to Vashon for Sunday brunch (but make reservations via OpenTable first!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- be careful if gluten-freemeriDined on 8/4/2013ordered GF available breakfast, it came with glutinous veg sausage. They re-made dish with more tofu it, and I felt sorry for server, but so glad I checked before I ate it. GF bread was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.