The Hard Shell - Bellgrade
11400 W Huguenot Rd.
Midlothian, VA 23113Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Hard Shell - Bellgrade
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thehardshell.com/
- Phone: (804) 464-1476
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Saturday 4 pm until 10 pm.
Sunday 4 pm until 9 pm.
Sunday 10:30 am until 2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chef Cory Peay
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Saturday Evenings 630pm to 930pm
A word from The Hard Shell - Bellgrade
2nd location for beloved Richmond legend! The Hard Shell offers a variety of fresh and local seafood entrees and appetizers as well as an extensive raw bar menu featuring oysters, clams, shrimp, mussels, crab legs, lobster, and much more. The Hard Shell also features items such as filet mignon, baby back ribs, roasted chicken, vegetarian dishes and gluten free options as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Hard Shell - Bellgrade reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (53)neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (45)good for groups (32)romantic (27)great for outdoor dining (22)notable wine list (18)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (15)great for lunch (11)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Seafood in spite of seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014I'm not much of an oyster person, but the fried oyster appetizer was cooked so perfectly, with a light coating and a tasty little sauce, that I was in love. The crab cake appetizer was all crab (but didn't fall apart). I'm not a big fan of fresh tuna but gave the seared ahi tuna salad a whirl--for my uneducated tastes, could have used a tiny bit more searing or a little smaller chunk of tuna. My wife had an excellent mixed green salad with cranberries and candied pecans along with goat cheese-- and shrimp potstickers which she liked. Topped off with cheesecake, our appetizer based meal was tasty as we adventured a little ways outside our comfort zone. Service was good, a band (Saturday night) played pleasantly... a nice night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Hard Shell/BelgradejeanbDined on 11/15/2014We have been to this Hard Shell quite a few times and always found the food and service to be excellent. Unfortunately, on Friday, November 15 that was not the case. We arrived on time and were seated immediately. However, it was over an hour and a half before we received our entree. We did have soup as an appetizer but that should not have made the wait that long. Our server did not check back about bringing more bread or drinks. Additionally, two of the entrees were barely warm when they were served so we sent them back. We usually get dessert and coffee but all we wanted to do was get the check and leave. This was particularly disappointing as we had guests with us from Florida.
- Great food.Jason74Dined on 11/15/2014Great food and service. Crab cakes were really good. The live band was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014My husband and Brett dined at the The Hard Shell for his birthday and we had a wonderful time. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMYOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014It was my birthday dinner and we had friends & family attending. My dinner was great - had the half stuffed lobster. I do think that all restaurants undercook the asparagus (all veggies)- hard shell was no exception - but love the mashed potato patty. Since we had a larger party, it was hard to hear from one end of the table to the other because of the noise level. The dessert was wonderful! Everyone in the party had something different and seemed to enjoy what they ordered. What would make it even better would be a Senior Menu (don't remember seeing one).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2014Service was great and understood the menu very well, very good selection of seafood on the menu for both app's and entree's. Rockfish was excellent. Wine selection was good. Great atmosphere and roomy. Bar area for happy hour was fun and good prices. Would recommend for pleasure or business dining. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dining herevicfromthesticksDined on 11/11/2014My wife and I went to Hard Shell on the recommendations of a friend. The online reservation worked great. We were seated promptly and water was provided right away. Our waiter was pleasant and took our order. The only weak period for the evening was a 40 minute plus wait for our entrées to come. However, it was worth the wait as it was very good. Except for the food wait, it was a very satisfying dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafoodJohnDined on 11/11/2014Hardshell is one of the best seafood places in Chesterfield. Great selection of oysters and crab.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2014The food was very good and the service was good and all at a good price.Special Features:
- More Like a Four and a HalfRVaDinerDined on 11/9/2014My friends and I had Sunday brunch at The Hard Shell-Bellgrade. We were seated immediately. They seemed a little short of wait staff because service was a tad slow. However, when food and drinks arrived we found that it was worth the wait. The food was quite good and I was very happy with the portion sizes. We had more than enough food but yet we weren't embarrassed by huge heaps on our plates. I love the large cups of delicious coffee that we were served. The She-Crab Soup was also delicious but I wish it had contained more crab. All of the rest of the food was perfect. The omelets were done perfectly. Mine was a lobster omelet and there was plenty of lobster in it. My guest's cheeseburger was also very good. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Hard ShellBrunch5Dined on 10/26/2014I can only comment on having brunch at the Hard Shell, since that's the only time we've visited them. We had great service and good food. We would definitely go back. I was sorry that they seemed to have a poor turnout, but maybe it was the time of day that we were there (1 p.m.).Special Features:
- eashDined on 10/25/2014The experience was very enjoyable and reasonably priced for what we got. We had a reservation and were taken to our table right on time. The service was above average and we liked our waiter very much. He did a great job and filled our water glasses many times without having to be asked. The food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Rethink Returning HereLoisVIPDined on 10/25/2014We learned that it was choice of regular menu or Restaurant Week menu. We ordered from Restaurant Week menu, and portions were so small. crab cakes were two very small cakes. We think they were the size of the crab cake appetizer, however the crab cake appetizer we believe has three small cakes. Other entree we ordered was filet mignon, and it was 1/2 inch thick. Flavor/texture was very good. Had we known portions were so small, we would have ordered from regular menu. I would rather make a donation to FeedMore than know 2.14 would be donated if we ordered from Restaurant Week menu. Baffled by this experience....disappointed, too. We were told creme brûlée was sold out, so we ordered bread pudding. It was tasteless.
- Great Date NightBamafoodieDined on 10/24/2014Had a wonderful time, food was great, and we enjoyed the Restaurant Week Menu. Everything was cooked as requested, and wonderfully prepared.Special Features:
- Hard Shell during restaurant weekDiverDebDined on 10/24/2014Restaurant week in Richmond, VA is hectic, yet we were fortunate to get a reservation here on a Friday. Despite the crowds, the service never waived, and we tried the set menu and had the most amazing lobster bisque I have ever tasted. It was great to be able to support the Feed More organization by eating at one of the participating restaurants. Of course, we will return here later.Special Features:
- rvafoodieDined on 10/21/2014Went for Richmond restaurant week, our first visit. Food and service were top notch and portion size was great! We will be back again.Special Features:
- Nice eveningCharlesWDined on 10/20/2014My wife and I have eaten here many times. The food is always good. The service was outstanding.Special Features:
- A must try for seafoodLizMDined on 10/20/2014Excellent service and quality food. Service from greeting by hostess and throughout dinner was perfect despite a very busy dining scene. Server was able to keep small water glasses full which is a small thing but greatly appreciated as a diner. Ordered halibut which was fresh and perfectly cooked and paired with accompanying sides. Glad they have a decent children's menu too. I will defintely return. Just wish one was closer to me in the West End. : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekMostlyCindyDined on 10/20/2014Delicious dishes and generous portions, even on the Restaurant Week menu. Loved it.Special Features:
- First Time VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014My Sweetheart and I had not had a good seafood dinner in some time, so I selected the Hard Shell based on reviews I've read and recommendations from friends. We were both delighted with my choice. From the moment we walked in, the staff was friendly and attentive. Our food was freshly prepared. Our appetizer was the fried oysters and they were quite good. My girl ordered the broiled scallop dish and I, the seared tuna dish--both were very tasty and cooked just right. Our waitress was attentive and friendly. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to enjoy a very fine seafood experience along with ambiance and good service!Special Features:
- The Hard Shell at BellgradeDabskiDined on 10/17/2014The Happy Hour drinks and appetizers in the bar and on the terrace are very good and great value. Try the shrimp to share. Unfortunately there was no service on the terrace and since the bar was very busy getting drinks was a very slow process. We moved into the restaurant for our meal and the food was outstanding especially the crab legs and the salmon. Unfortunately the service was quite slow. I suspect they were understaffed which is not good for a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at HardshellRichmondExecDined on 10/17/2014Had a delightful dinner at the Hardshell at Bellgrade. Crab cakes, scallops, shrimp, and Mahi Mahi were cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Did not make the gradeEatandLoveDined on 10/14/2014Let's start with the positive. At arrival we were greeted by a very courteous hostess and seated immediately. Our Server was very knowledgable and explained the menu well offering some suggestions. On to the food... The lobster dip was too cheesy and the accompanying fried tortillas were oily. Crispy fried oysters had very little flavor. The biggest disappointment was the UNSEASONED chewy Rockfish. Lastly the Apple pecan bread pudding that was just ok, a bit too wet for my liking. Overall the food lacked flavor.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Decent wait staff. Horrible kitchen staff - I am not sure what they are doing, but they certainly aren't watchig quality control. Worst meal I have eaten at any restaurant in the Richmond area.
- 2 pound crab legsStuffedoncrabDined on 10/12/2014The amount of crab legs for $20, well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunchsunsetdonVIPDined on 10/12/2014Visited on a Sunday for brunch. They were very accommodating and assisted one of our party who was in a wheelchair and also a 2-year old. The wait staff was friendly, cheerful and very helpful. We had a variety of items including ham & cheese omelets, garden omelet, pancakes and eggs benedict. All were very good and the coffee and juice was flowing. Very nice brunch and easy to work with if you are a group or have special needs.Special Features:
- Filler bit crablcd5Dined on 10/10/2014My crab cakes has very little crab in them. They are much better at Fresh Market.
- nice dinning experienceehornakDined on 10/6/2014server was very efficient, food was hot and tasty, ambiance was ok. will be going back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014I don't know that I would go back to The Hard Shell. The food was just fair/pretty bland. It tasted like something I could cook at home.
- close and always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/3/2014a good restaurant in bon air that is dependable and gives good service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Oysters!eatfreakDined on 10/2/2014The oyster sampler is always a hit! Cast iron ribeye is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite places!murphDined on 9/27/2014We have eaten at The Hard Shell numerous times and have been very pleased with our meals and the service each time. My husband is particularly fond of their fried oysters entree, but they do a great job with other seafood, chicken and beef!Special Features:
- Great DiningGreatdiningDined on 9/24/2014A great place for groups ..Food is delicious! The service is excellent ..our waitress was courteous and saw to our every need. The atmosphere is wonderful. I would recommend this restaurant over and over again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere of seafood paradiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Besides the service the restaurant is a nice in Virginia, being from New York to find a restaurant with that type of caliber down here is exceptional. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surburban Gem - Fine DiningDeeLiciousDined on 9/20/2014We were hesitant to select the restaurant but did so after another downtown venue was booked to capacity. Best move we ever made. We were seated immediately. We inquired about the freshness of the calamari and were astounded to discover it really was fresh, not rubbery. Every menu item, including dessert, exceeded expectations! The live band complimented the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/12/2014the sword fish special was wonderful with the side dish that made it pop. all the food was great. the bar does a really good mint julep and the special drinks were great also. hats off to katy. and the other wait staff. see you soonSpecial Features:
- Well traveled dinerLisaCDined on 9/7/2014Traveled to Hardshell as a point between to meet with an long time friend - we both drove 2 hrs - we had high expectations. Our request on the on-line reservations were met and everything else exceeded expectations. Fabulous drinks, well prepared and presented food. We were not rushed, were able to enjoy a leisurely brunch. Both of us have traveled and experienced multiple 5 star restaurants. This dining experiencing exceeded every nuance of what we wanted for our reunion. The drive was totally worth it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Our 3rd time there. Fabulous ! Great food, served hot, great service , well worth a trip from the West End . Music was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ManagementOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/2/2014I booked a table for 4 to entertain a business partner and his wife at The Hard Shell Midlothian. It was a slow Tuesday night and our reservation was at 7pm. There were only 2 other occupied tables in the place. Admittedly, our group of 4 was the loudest in the place, and having so much room, I wish we had been sat further fro the other 2 - 2 tops. The server was great and the food was fine. We just felt like we were keeping the rest of the staff against their will. Maybe this place is better on the weekends when they expect people to come in and have fun...
- Good as ususalAESRichmondDined on 8/24/2014Hard Shell at Bellgrade has consistently good food. Service was great too.Special Features: