The Hard Shell - Bellgrade
11400 W Huguenot Rd.
Midlothian, VA 23113Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Hard Shell - Bellgrade
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thehardshell.com/
- Phone: 8044641476x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Saturday 4 pm until 10 pm.
Sunday 4 pm until 9 pm.
Sunday 10:30 am until 2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chef Cory Peay
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Saturday Evenings 630pm to 930pm
A word from The Hard Shell - Bellgrade
2nd location for beloved Richmond legend! The Hard Shell offers a variety of fresh and local seafood entrees and appetizers as well as an extensive raw bar menu featuring oysters, clams, shrimp, mussels, crab legs, lobster, and much more. The Hard Shell also features items such as filet mignon, baby back ribs, roasted chicken, vegetarian dishes and gluten free options as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Hard Shell - Bellgrade reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (41)good for groups (30)romantic (28)great for outdoor dining (27)notable wine list (17)great for brunch (16)vibrant bar scene (14)great for lunch (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Went for Richmond restaurant week, our first visit. Food and service were top notch and portion size was great! We will be back again.Special Features:
- Nice eveningCharlesWDined on 10/20/2014My wife and I have eaten here many times. The food is always good. The service was outstanding.Special Features:
- A must try for seafoodLizMDined on 10/20/2014Excellent service and quality food. Service from greeting by hostess and throughout dinner was perfect despite a very busy dining scene. Server was able to keep small water glasses full which is a small thing but greatly appreciated as a diner. Ordered halibut which was fresh and perfectly cooked and paired with accompanying sides. Glad they have a decent children's menu too. I will defintely return. Just wish one was closer to me in the West End. : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Delicious dishes and generous portions, even on the Restaurant Week menu. Loved it.Special Features:
- First Time VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014My Sweetheart and I had not had a good seafood dinner in some time, so I selected the Hard Shell based on reviews I've read and recommendations from friends. We were both delighted with my choice. From the moment we walked in, the staff was friendly and attentive. Our food was freshly prepared. Our appetizer was the fried oysters and they were quite good. My girl ordered the broiled scallop dish and I, the seared tuna dish--both were very tasty and cooked just right. Our waitress was attentive and friendly. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to enjoy a very fine seafood experience along with ambiance and good service!Special Features:
- The Hard Shell at BellgradeDabskiDined on 10/17/2014The Happy Hour drinks and appetizers in the bar and on the terrace are very good and great value. Try the shrimp to share. Unfortunately there was no service on the terrace and since the bar was very busy getting drinks was a very slow process. We moved into the restaurant for our meal and the food was outstanding especially the crab legs and the salmon. Unfortunately the service was quite slow. I suspect they were understaffed which is not good for a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at HardshellRichmondExecDined on 10/17/2014Had a delightful dinner at the Hardshell at Bellgrade. Crab cakes, scallops, shrimp, and Mahi Mahi were cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Did not make the gradeEatandLoveDined on 10/14/2014Let's start with the positive. At arrival we were greeted by a very courteous hostess and seated immediately. Our Server was very knowledgable and explained the menu well offering some suggestions. On to the food... The lobster dip was too cheesy and the accompanying fried tortillas were oily. Crispy fried oysters had very little flavor. The biggest disappointment was the UNSEASONED chewy Rockfish. Lastly the Apple pecan bread pudding that was just ok, a bit too wet for my liking. Overall the food lacked flavor.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Decent wait staff. Horrible kitchen staff - I am not sure what they are doing, but they certainly aren't watchig quality control. Worst meal I have eaten at any restaurant in the Richmond area.
- 2 pound crab legsStuffedoncrabDined on 10/12/2014The amount of crab legs for $20, well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunchsunsetdonVIPDined on 10/12/2014Visited on a Sunday for brunch. They were very accommodating and assisted one of our party who was in a wheelchair and also a 2-year old. The wait staff was friendly, cheerful and very helpful. We had a variety of items including ham & cheese omelets, garden omelet, pancakes and eggs benedict. All were very good and the coffee and juice was flowing. Very nice brunch and easy to work with if you are a group or have special needs.Special Features:
- Filler bit crablcd5Dined on 10/10/2014My crab cakes has very little crab in them. They are much better at Fresh Market.
- nice dinning experienceehornakDined on 10/6/2014server was very efficient, food was hot and tasty, ambiance was ok. will be going back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014I don't know that I would go back to The Hard Shell. The food was just fair/pretty bland. It tasted like something I could cook at home.
- Great Oysters!eatfreakDined on 10/2/2014The oyster sampler is always a hit! Cast iron ribeye is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite places!murphDined on 9/27/2014We have eaten at The Hard Shell numerous times and have been very pleased with our meals and the service each time. My husband is particularly fond of their fried oysters entree, but they do a great job with other seafood, chicken and beef!Special Features:
- Great DiningGreatdiningDined on 9/24/2014A great place for groups ..Food is delicious! The service is excellent ..our waitress was courteous and saw to our every need. The atmosphere is wonderful. I would recommend this restaurant over and over again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere of seafood paradiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Besides the service the restaurant is a nice in Virginia, being from New York to find a restaurant with that type of caliber down here is exceptional. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surburban Gem - Fine DiningDeeLiciousDined on 9/20/2014We were hesitant to select the restaurant but did so after another downtown venue was booked to capacity. Best move we ever made. We were seated immediately. We inquired about the freshness of the calamari and were astounded to discover it really was fresh, not rubbery. Every menu item, including dessert, exceeded expectations! The live band complimented the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/12/2014the sword fish special was wonderful with the side dish that made it pop. all the food was great. the bar does a really good mint julep and the special drinks were great also. hats off to katy. and the other wait staff. see you soonSpecial Features:
- Well traveled dinerLisaCDined on 9/7/2014Traveled to Hardshell as a point between to meet with an long time friend - we both drove 2 hrs - we had high expectations. Our request on the on-line reservations were met and everything else exceeded expectations. Fabulous drinks, well prepared and presented food. We were not rushed, were able to enjoy a leisurely brunch. Both of us have traveled and experienced multiple 5 star restaurants. This dining experiencing exceeded every nuance of what we wanted for our reunion. The drive was totally worth it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Our 3rd time there. Fabulous ! Great food, served hot, great service , well worth a trip from the West End . Music was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ManagementOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/2/2014I booked a table for 4 to entertain a business partner and his wife at The Hard Shell Midlothian. It was a slow Tuesday night and our reservation was at 7pm. There were only 2 other occupied tables in the place. Admittedly, our group of 4 was the loudest in the place, and having so much room, I wish we had been sat further fro the other 2 - 2 tops. The server was great and the food was fine. We just felt like we were keeping the rest of the staff against their will. Maybe this place is better on the weekends when they expect people to come in and have fun...
- Good as ususalAESRichmondDined on 8/24/2014Hard Shell at Bellgrade has consistently good food. Service was great too.Special Features:
- A real gem!Betty2Dined on 8/23/2014Creative, fresh seafood. Excellent service. Really enjoyed the live jazz music!Special Features:
- MotaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Good solid meal with terrific service and reasonably priced seafood as their feature. Specials every day add to an already extensive menu that has creative fish dishes that are atsty and economical.Special Features:
- Not so hotretiredfrequentdinersDined on 8/20/2014This was our first visit to the Hard Shell. The appetizer - Oysters Hard Shell- was tasty. The salad (wedge) and she-crab soup were good. We both ordered fish (blackened mahi-mahi & rockfish). The meal was mediocre. My mahi mahi portion was very small, dry and not very tasty. My wife's portion was good, but dry and her rice was cold. The waiter said the meal quality was caused by a large group that was being served at the same time- of course that made us feel much better about the money we spent.
- Very good experienceappleDined on 8/19/2014We had a group of 11. Our server, Erin was very attentive and did a great job of keeping everyone happy. I would definitely go back for dinner for tow or a larger group as well.Special Features:
- Always Enjoy the Hard ShellLoriBeeDined on 8/17/2014This was my first time at this location. I went specifically for crab leg night. They were very very good but not the quality I seem to get on nights when there is less demand. Service and atmosphere were excellent. I'll definitely go again even on crab leg night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like crab...generob61Dined on 8/17/20142 lbs. of crab legs for$20, are you kidding me?! And the she crab soup too?! If you enjoy crab like I do, this is the place to go on Sundays!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TracyjustshoeitDined on 8/16/2014This is one of the best restaurants in Richmond. We have been coming for years. Food is delicious and wait staff is very friendly and knowlegeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunchKellyDined on 8/10/2014Eggs benedict were very good. Quiet Sunday. Nice atmosphere. Not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Very good service and food but a really loud band and freezing AC almost ruined it for me. I can't see going back. When the server gets your drink order screwed up because she can't hear it over the band, then you've got a problem.
- very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/4/2014I had a business meeting/dinner there. It was perfect. The food was great, service was very good and it wasn't too noisy. I highly recommend it.
- smelled of dirty carpet!the2jsDined on 8/3/2014the filet tasted spoiled on 8/3 evening. Surf and turf was good however
- GreatAClosetedFoodieDined on 8/1/2014I spent my birthday dinner here the other night and the staff made sure I was well taken care of! From being seated by the hostesses and being waited on by great staff I will definitely recommend this to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING & FABULOUS FOOD!!FoxcrestDined on 7/31/2014Can they please open a Hard Shell in Greensboro, NC??? PLEASE!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what's not to likeChrisDined on 7/31/2014I had the crab cakes. They were small, but very delicious with little to no filler. Wonderfully presented. My date had the steak and lobster tail, and she let me try bites of both. Excellent. The booth was superb, and I didn't feel cramped or wedged in there likes many Fan restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lilysnewfindDined on 7/29/2014dining experience was satisfying and the quality of food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeReasonableexpectationVIPDined on 7/26/2014Excellent seafood, live jazz, impeccable service. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience. Truly loved the oysters!Special Features: