The Hard Shell - Bellgrade
11400 W Huguenot Rd.
Midlothian, VA 23113Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Hard Shell - Bellgrade
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thehardshell.com/
- Phone: 8044641476x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Saturday 4 pm until 10 pm.
Sunday 4 pm until 9 pm.
Sunday 10:30 am until 2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chef Cory Peay
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Hard Shell - Bellgrade
2nd location for beloved Richmond legend! The Hard Shell offers a variety of fresh and local seafood entrees and appetizers as well as an extensive raw bar menu featuring oysters, clams, shrimp, mussels, crab legs, lobster, and much more. The Hard Shell also features items such as filet mignon, baby back ribs, roasted chicken, vegetarian dishes and gluten free options as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Hard Shell - Bellgrade reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (31)great for outdoor dining (29)romantic (26)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (15)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (10)hot spot (5)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014the sword fish special was wonderful with the side dish that made it pop. all the food was great. the bar does a really good mint julep and the special drinks were great also. hats off to katy. and the other wait staff. see you soonSpecial Features:
- Well traveled dinerLisaCDined on 9/7/2014Traveled to Hardshell as a point between to meet with an long time friend - we both drove 2 hrs - we had high expectations. Our request on the on-line reservations were met and everything else exceeded expectations. Fabulous drinks, well prepared and presented food. We were not rushed, were able to enjoy a leisurely brunch. Both of us have traveled and experienced multiple 5 star restaurants. This dining experiencing exceeded every nuance of what we wanted for our reunion. The drive was totally worth it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Our 3rd time there. Fabulous ! Great food, served hot, great service , well worth a trip from the West End . Music was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ManagementOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/2/2014I booked a table for 4 to entertain a business partner and his wife at The Hard Shell Midlothian. It was a slow Tuesday night and our reservation was at 7pm. There were only 2 other occupied tables in the place. Admittedly, our group of 4 was the loudest in the place, and having so much room, I wish we had been sat further fro the other 2 - 2 tops. The server was great and the food was fine. We just felt like we were keeping the rest of the staff against their will. Maybe this place is better on the weekends when they expect people to come in and have fun...
- Good as ususalAESRichmondDined on 8/24/2014Hard Shell at Bellgrade has consistently good food. Service was great too.Special Features:
- A real gem!Betty2Dined on 8/23/2014Creative, fresh seafood. Excellent service. Really enjoyed the live jazz music!Special Features:
- MotaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Good solid meal with terrific service and reasonably priced seafood as their feature. Specials every day add to an already extensive menu that has creative fish dishes that are atsty and economical.Special Features:
- Not so hotretiredfrequentdinersDined on 8/20/2014This was our first visit to the Hard Shell. The appetizer - Oysters Hard Shell- was tasty. The salad (wedge) and she-crab soup were good. We both ordered fish (blackened mahi-mahi & rockfish). The meal was mediocre. My mahi mahi portion was very small, dry and not very tasty. My wife's portion was good, but dry and her rice was cold. The waiter said the meal quality was caused by a large group that was being served at the same time- of course that made us feel much better about the money we spent.
- Very good experienceappleDined on 8/19/2014We had a group of 11. Our server, Erin was very attentive and did a great job of keeping everyone happy. I would definitely go back for dinner for tow or a larger group as well.Special Features:
- Always Enjoy the Hard ShellLoriBeeDined on 8/17/2014This was my first time at this location. I went specifically for crab leg night. They were very very good but not the quality I seem to get on nights when there is less demand. Service and atmosphere were excellent. I'll definitely go again even on crab leg night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like crab...generob61Dined on 8/17/20142 lbs. of crab legs for$20, are you kidding me?! And the she crab soup too?! If you enjoy crab like I do, this is the place to go on Sundays!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TracyjustshoeitDined on 8/16/2014This is one of the best restaurants in Richmond. We have been coming for years. Food is delicious and wait staff is very friendly and knowlegeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunchKellyDined on 8/10/2014Eggs benedict were very good. Quiet Sunday. Nice atmosphere. Not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Very good service and food but a really loud band and freezing AC almost ruined it for me. I can't see going back. When the server gets your drink order screwed up because she can't hear it over the band, then you've got a problem.
- very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/4/2014I had a business meeting/dinner there. It was perfect. The food was great, service was very good and it wasn't too noisy. I highly recommend it.
- smelled of dirty carpet!the2jsDined on 8/3/2014the filet tasted spoiled on 8/3 evening. Surf and turf was good however
- GreatAClosetedFoodieDined on 8/1/2014I spent my birthday dinner here the other night and the staff made sure I was well taken care of! From being seated by the hostesses and being waited on by great staff I will definitely recommend this to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING & FABULOUS FOOD!!FoxcrestDined on 7/31/2014Can they please open a Hard Shell in Greensboro, NC??? PLEASE!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what's not to likeChrisDined on 7/31/2014I had the crab cakes. They were small, but very delicious with little to no filler. Wonderfully presented. My date had the steak and lobster tail, and she let me try bites of both. Excellent. The booth was superb, and I didn't feel cramped or wedged in there likes many Fan restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lilysnewfindDined on 7/29/2014dining experience was satisfying and the quality of food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeReasonableexpectationVIPDined on 7/26/2014Excellent seafood, live jazz, impeccable service. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience. Truly loved the oysters!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014very disappointed. This restaurant came highly recommended and my sister was in town for a visit and I took her there for dinner. For the price (and this is NOT an inexpensive restaurant), I had expected the food to be much better. When I made the reservation online, I had made a note that this was a 'special occasion' but there was absolutely nothing special about this dinner. Will not be back.
- So enjoyableFabulousDined on 7/20/2014Our experience at The Hard Shell was the wonderful. My dinner was with friends from 50+ years and was able to sit and talk for 2+ hours. Our server was the best. Wish I could remember his name because he made our evening so special. Very patient while we talked prior to deciding what to eat. He also was able to have the chef make my order just like I requested. The She Crab soup was the best I'd ever had. We closed the place down.Special Features:
- First Visit at the Hard Shell1pickydinerDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I had a fabulous first time visit at your restaurant! We were celebrating his birthday. The service was excellent; food delicious; atmosphere pleasant; and prices well worth it! Thanks for a wonderful experience! We'll definitely return ourselves, but we've also recommended out friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New England natives stay awayRickDined on 7/14/2014Went there for Lobster Night (Mondays) to celebrate a birthday and was very disappointed not to find a plain steamed lobster on the specials menu. They would serve you one at the market price of $28 that included two sides but that was more than we expected to pay. No self-respecting Mainer would eat any of those options. Got the lobster chowdah and they did add a little lobster to a vegetable soup that had almost no lobster flavor. The calamari Caesar salad was okay but not what we wanted for lobster night. Go to Legal Seafood (nearest one may be Crystal City) but it will be worth the trip. They know how to cook lobster and will have the steamer clams to go with it. Great clam chowdah, too. Aye-yuh.
- Identity CrisisM2HofnksiDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I made reservations here for our wedding anniversary. The website states "casual" but when you first go in it certainly appears a little more upscale. The ambiance is beautiful and seemed classy. That being said - the servers wore blue jeans and were playing music that was quite loud before someone turned it down and it included songs by the Violent Femmes. I wasn't really clear on what type of setting they were going for. When we were seated I noticed our glasses were dirty. Food was OK. My spiced shrimp was a overdone with little seasoning but my husbands shrimp and scallops were good. Appetizers of crab cakes and scallops were the stars! Delicious!Special Features:
- nothing specialdarylwDined on 7/11/2014I ordered the crab pasta. I took my first bite and gagged because it had so much garlic in it. My father in law ordered the shell pasta. The marinara was so watered down that it no taste. The fries were not seasoned and the calamari was like rubber. The noise level is very high.
- Sunday dinner at THE HARD SHELLkingkennDined on 7/6/2014Setting up the reservation thru Open Table was flawless. Thank you. Arrived, checked in and seated instantly. My waitress, MEAGHEN, was extroidinary. Drinks were nice. Nice selection of a variety of drinks. Had a seafood choice that was excellent. No complaints. Only negative for me was my wife didn't have her sweater, (first time) and it was a little too chilly inside. We were ultimately seated in the outdoor section. Nice. We took MEAGHEN with us. For this ambience I was expecting warmed bread. My only disappointment. The bread was DELICIOUS!! It just wasn't heatedSpecial Features:
- Great outdoor diningMaajaa2Dined on 7/5/2014We had a party of six. The dining porch was very nice with shade and a breeze. Service was very good. Everyone enjoyed their meal. We have been there several times. Food is pretty consistent and reasonable for fresh seafood.Special Features:
- OverallkismetDined on 7/5/2014food was fabulous...waitress one of the best I've ever had. Only complaint is music is much too loud for those of us just coming to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GobblingDined on 7/5/2014The food was great and the prices were a little high. Besides the loud crowd around the bar wathching the TV. I will be back to visit the restaurant on special occasions like my wife's birthday. Our service was excellent and the restaurant was very romanticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood at the Hard ShellMidloFolksDined on 6/27/2014Dining at the Hard Shell at Bellgrade is always a great experience. The food is always cooked perfectly and the wait staff is very attentive. I would definitely recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Delicious!WhitneyG22Dined on 6/22/2014I took my coaches to a brunch here before coaching our last games at the Champions Cup Lacrosse Tournament. The service was great and the food was delicious! They bring you little mini blueberry muffins that are nice and warm with butter, yum yum!!! The coffee was delicious too. I am planning on taking my coaches here for dinner when we come back down to Richmond for the Capital Cup!Special Features:
- It has bothLuvGoodFoodDined on 6/21/2014We seek restaurants with great food and atmosphere. Hard Shell provides both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavePsyVIPDined on 6/21/2014en times and this was the best experience ever. The server was excellent. He was present when needed andSpecial Features:
- 6/20/14BobcDined on 6/20/20142 of 3 meals fine. Fried oysters and mahi fine, sesame tuna avg to below. No flavor and overcooked. No atmosphere, and won't return. Too much like chain restaurant food..
- Great Father's DayaemsDined on 6/15/2014Our server was great and the food was delicious. As a vegetarian, it was great to see a separate vegetarian menu at a seafood place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!forever18heartsDined on 6/15/2014Nothing negative to say about Hardshell! I came here with my family for Father's Day, and not one person in our group was disappointed. Great food and great service. I will definitely be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- two pleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Hard shell is a great dining get away. The music was playing and made it very enjoyable, The two person tables are very cozy makes you feel very close to your dinning partner . I can't wait to try it for brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningBetty2Dined on 6/14/2014Superior quality seafood. Slightly overlooked. But delicious anyway. Chef was able to meet my dietary requirements very nicely! Great menu and service.Special Features: