The Happ Inn
305 Happ Road
Northfield, IL 60093Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Happ Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thehappinn.com/
- Phone: 8477849200
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Thursday the kitchen is open from 11:00AM to 10PM
Friday and Saturday the Kitchen is open from 11:00AM to 11PM
Sundays the kitchen opens at 12:00PM to 8PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Freddy Sanchez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Let The Happ Inn host your next private party or special event. Our private dining spaces can accommodate groups of up to 80 people. Our event coordinator can help you customize a menu and drink package to suit any taste or budget. From coursed dinners to family style feasts to elegant receptions, The Happ Inn can meet all of your private party needs.
A word from The Happ Inn
The Happ Inn is located on the Southeast corner of Willow and Happ roads, Northfield, Illinois.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Happ Inn - Best Restaurants in Northfield ›
The Happ Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (109)great for lunch (62)good for groups (62)kid-friendly (41)vibrant bar scene (30)fit for foodies (29)special occasion (26)great for outdoor dining (17)hot spot (17)great for brunch (15)notable wine list (9)late-night find (8)romantic (3)Show More
- re duxlunchbunchDined on 10/20/2014Well the Lunchbunch liked this so much that we decided to get together here for a second time in a row. That has never happened before. The food is great and the service is outstanding. And it is not easy to do when you have a fairly large group of women one or two seem to channel the Meg Ryan character from When Harry Met Sally. (And not from "that scene" but the one where she substitutes everything for something else) Anyway great time and great fun. This is high on our list for a return visit but will allow the staff time to recuperate ;)Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014The food was fresh and delicious! I had some special order requests and they couldn't have been more accomodating! The service and food was incredible. We had a large group and all were happy!Special Features:
- chickiet15Dined on 10/17/2014Having been here before I kind of knew what to expect. Their food is good - a little noisy, perhaps too many tables in each room. The owners, the Nietos really know how to run a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location to meet friends!PrincessMDined on 10/17/2014Since I live in North Suburbs, this is a convenient and convivial restaurant to meet friends whom are traveling from Chicago. Earlier this year, myself and a group of friends hosted a bridal shower at Happ Inn. We were all pleased with the room options, service and food. This really is a local restaurant, with a great menu selection, and easy access from the Edens Expressway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never tire of Happ Inn!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Delightful place with great food, creative menu, terrific service; look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Awful experienceDinadonutDined on 10/12/2014We were a party of 7. They stuck us in the side room for large groups. Our table was wedged in the corner next to a huge group, every minute when the waiters and bus boys came in and out of the room they had to squeeze by our table and the other table. My brother wedged his chair next to mine to make room for the waiters to get through but he was getting bumped every two min, spent his dinner leaning in/to the side to stay out of the way. Room was noisy. We asked for manager 5 times before he finally came during dessert and said if we'd asked at start of meal to be reseated he would have found us table. Thanks for blaming the customers! He comped us 2 apps but I would never come back, food wasn't worth the lousy atmosphere and treatment.
- Bustling!HungryGuyVIPDined on 10/10/2014It was a very busy Saturday night, but the very professional bartenders took good care of us while we waited for our table. Talapia tacos were great, so was the seared tuna nicoise salad. Servers and staff are pros, Debbie Nieto is a rock star!Special Features:
- HerbVIPDined on 10/10/2014Always good with great wait staff, wonderful place to go in the area.Special Features:
- under staffed?BonnieVIPDined on 10/7/2014i eat at the Happ fairly regularly. the food is very good. this visit was a disappointment from a service point of view. i was left for 10 minutes after being seated without a server to offer me a beverage...which i wanted. two bus people tried to help solve the problem. service throughout the meal was likewise pretty disappointing. when i asked a manager if he was understaffed that night...he said No. our waitperson was pleasant enough, but he didn't listen to specific requests on food prep (crispy wings...mine came swimming in sauce) he didn't offer a second beverage until i was into my meal and was slow on the check when i requested it. he is either in the wrong job, or is sadly under-trained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place!yumyumDined on 10/7/2014We always enjoy coming here and do so often. We are never disappointed...great service, great food and great people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had high expectations...foodchicDined on 10/5/2014Loved the overall look and feel of the restaurant and bar, tastefully decorated. We were extremely disappointed with the food...weird menu, doesn't really have a theme. One in our party sent Filet back twice as it wasn't cooked as requested and although we didn't ask, there was no compensation offerred. We were seated directly under a gigantic TV that was way too big for the dining room and really distracting for those of us facing it. Our server was not very attentive, long periods of time between visits to the table and had no idea where she was. We had to ask for water to be refilled. So very disappointing from a once notable chef.Special Features:
- Review for Sat nite reservationCityguy10Dined on 9/27/2014Had 7:15pm res..other 1/2 of party was late. Staff was incredibly accommodating. Once party arrived, they wanted drink at bar. Staff continued the gr8 level of service. Sat down at 8pm. Waiter on the mark, execution of food timing, taste & experience was excellent. Looks like leadership here has hired good people to handle a demanding customer base.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow servicecday12345VIPDined on 9/24/2014Other than waiting 20 minutes to even be greeted at our table, the rest of the experience was very good. The food was excellent as usual, and the warm chocolate chip cookie dessert was superb.Special Features:
- GigiDined on 9/24/2014Service and food excellent---only issue that we have had with dining is that there are too many noisy screaming children with no parental control. Would encourage owners to keep families with children in the backroom so the rest of us can enjoy the ambiance. We have children also but dining out is a time to be with friends and not with screaming (and I do mean loud-pitched constant screaming) children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgeVIPDined on 9/19/2014Such an enjoyable place to meet friends and business connections to share conversation over a good meal in a pleasant setting.
- Always goodLarruVIPDined on 9/15/2014Consistent with food and service. Margaritas, salads and chicken always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!PattesPostsDined on 9/13/2014For two of the four individuals in the group, it was the first time at the Happ Inn. We were pleased with the food, wine (Meiomi Pinot Noir), beer (various craft) and service. Three members of our party had the white shrimp (Grilled Jumbo Shrimp) and were happy with their meals. I had the Bill Kurtis Grass Fed Burger with a Gluten Free Bun and the homemade chips - yum. Our waiter, J.P., was outstanding - friendly, efficient, and provided recommendations, when asked.Special Features:
- Nothing special - had higher hopesUnhappyDined on 9/13/2014Busy Friday night. Food was barely warm. Kids Mac n cheese had a hardened cheese layer over the top as it sat under the heat lamp way too long. Truffle fries tasted like they were cooked during the lunch hour. Sat on patio and clearly the area was too much for the one server to handle. Unfortunately I had higher hopes as some friends recommended it to us. Maybe it was an off night...Special Features:
- Great place for lunchKDBalVIPDined on 9/9/2014Had a delicious and delightful lunch. Great beet salad.Special Features:
- good basic foodLike2eatitalianVIPDined on 9/3/2014the restaurant has a nice menu with good basic sandwiches, salads, and a few other entreesSpecial Features:
- Slip Sliding AwayEZDinerDined on 9/2/2014I have been a frequent diner at the Happ Inn for as long as it's been open. I have generally eaten there 2 0r 3 times monthly, and have always been more than satisfied. The last 3 times I've dined there, including this past Tuesday, the food has been mediocre at best. The prices have risen as they have in most restaurants I enjoy going to, but the quality on the plates has remained the same. Something has changed at the Happ Inn, and the restaurant has lost me as a customer.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014The Happ Inn is very good. I am a Northfield resident and visit this restaurant often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodRedheadDined on 8/29/2014We go to the Happ Inn often even though it's a little of the beaten path. There have over the years been many restaurants here but this is the one with staying power as the menu is so varied and the experience so casual. We had the new grilled shrimp with plantain rice that's on the menu and it was delicious - the yellow gazpacho soup was also excellent though I would have liked more vegetables in it. I tasted a friend's skirt steak and thought it was tough and not very flavorful. Both skirt steaks ordered were not done as ordered. For dessert, the chocolate chip cookie with ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce was very good. I wish there was a true hot fudge sundae on the menu and that desserts varied from season to season.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodmealsVIPDined on 8/26/2014Even though our waiter got several new tables at once, we received excellent service. The food was tasty although the Caprese salad was drowning in dressing. The fish tacos were very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!ZippyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Love the restaurant. It can accommodate my husbands love for fried chicken and my salad fetishes. Very accommodating And always pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumYumDined on 8/23/2014Every thing was great Seated on time Would have liked it if there were more specials. More menus changes. Great service. Wait person very good. Can't find anything bad to say. Had very nice timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyEatingVIPDined on 8/23/2014The Happ Inn is a good neighborhood place. The food is always reliable and the prices reasonable. Everyone in our group of six seemed to enjoy their food. We visit fairly often.Special Features:
- Glad we had a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014Happ Inn is one of my favorite local restaurants. We went on a Wednesday night, the place was surprisingly busy. So glad we had a reservation. We were seated right away, served right away, everyone enjoyed their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great drinksAngieVIPDined on 8/13/2014Looks like they updated the menu again recently - burgers are still my favorite here (grass fed!), but as always, they're very gluten-free friendly with a GF bun and many other options for my son. Always love their Green Hornet (gin cocktail), but had a Moscow Mule this time and it was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crabsisters3Crabsisters3Dined on 8/13/2014We had a lovely evening ….but needed to move tables once. My friend and I were celebrating a birthday and as happy occasions go….we were giggling and having fun. I found the crowd that night to be "old" and not nice. My friend who is a challenged adult was asked to keep her voice down by a booth next to us. We were not any louder than any other table in the restaurant. Our server was very nice and let us move away from these old people even thought it was out of his station. I will think twice about going back! Very grumpy old people seem to go to the Happ Inn….what a shame. Not fun being told to quiet down…….it was a birthday!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Eat, repeat...lunchbunchDined on 8/11/2014Well the "gang" gets together often but never have we decided at the table to return to the same place for the next get together. The food was very good we all ended up getting the soup, salad and slider combo and this was probably one of the best combos that we have had. Portions were a good size and the selection of items to make the combo was very nice. Often with a group of 8 it is difficult to hear each other but the noise level was low enough that we did not have to shout across the table at each other. Looking forward to our next lunch and discovering what seasonal soup is on the menu and what salad to select for my trio......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatKDBalVIPDined on 8/9/2014Truly a gem. Food is always delicious. The menu has interesting selections and the ambience is perfect. We return her again and again.Special Features:
- stauchatthedinerDined on 8/9/2014I thought that the food was quite good for both my wife and I. We had soup, the Talapia tacos and the "Bill Kurtis" burger. Service was good, but overall I feel as though it was quite pricey for what we received. It was pricey a bit through the food but mostly the bar bill.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 8/8/2014We were very disappointed in our over zealous waiter. He was annoyed that we were not ordering appetizers and then wanted our entree order sooner than we were ready to give it. We were at the Happ Inn to enjoy some old friends on a casual Fri. night and not only did we feel rushed but we were freezing on the patio. We also asked several times to close the door because we thought the cold air was blowing in but realized when we were on our way out that it was the AC blowing directly on us. As a result we will think twice before dining at the Happ Inn again
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014As always, we and our guests have had a wonderful time at Carlos' and Debbie's restaurant. Lorry and Lisa WerhaneSpecial Features:
- Best Burger in Chicagoland & MoreDelightedDinerVIPDined on 7/28/2014"Yes, the blackened Bacon & Blue Burger, especially if ordered medium rare, with Danish Bleu Cheese and Onions - but requested without lettuce, tomato, and the Bleu Cheese dressing - is in this diner's humble, perspectival opinion THE best hamburger in all of Chicagoland and deserves to be memorialized as such on the cover of Chicago Magazine. But the restaurant is more than this superb sandwich - it's indeed a "great neighborhood gem," owned and operated by Debbie and Carlos Nieto, with an expansive menu of comforting, familiar foods and specials, expertly prepared and served in a HAPPy environment. Excellent wines by glass. Our server treated us warmly but with respect and promptly saw to all requests."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family dinnerJillVIPDined on 7/28/2014Enjoyed a great meal with family. Good drink specials. Great appetizers. Service was excellent. Look forward to returning soonSpecial Features:
- FinalflingVIPDined on 7/20/2014This is a very pretty restaurant -- looks like a London Pub with the pretty flower boxes along the black exterior. The fare is general with sandwiches as well as steaks and pasta. The wait staff is quite pleasant and attentive. Our specialty burgers and salads were very good. There are indoor/outdoor tables with plastic shades that can be lowered if the weather is cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lovely Place in the SuburbsDottyDined on 7/19/2014There were six of us and we all enjoyed our dinners. The fried chicken was exceptional--crispy coating and meltingly tender interior. Portions for all were very generous, and our waitress was a delight--helpful, funny, efficient. We are city folks, dining with our friends that night, but would make a special trip to the northern 'burbs to visit the Happ Inn in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Happ Inn!eatoutalotVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great food, excellent service, nice atmosphere. We preferred being in the front enclosed patio because it is a little brighter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.