The Happ Inn
305 Happ Road
Northfield, IL 60093Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Happ Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thehappinn.com/
- Phone: 8477849200
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Thursday the kitchen is open from 11:00AM to 10PM
Friday and Saturday the Kitchen is open from 11:00AM to 11PM
Sundays the kitchen opens at 12:00PM to 8PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Freddy Sanchez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Let The Happ Inn host your next private party or special event. Our private dining spaces can accommodate groups of up to 80 people. Our event coordinator can help you customize a menu and drink package to suit any taste or budget. From coursed dinners to family style feasts to elegant receptions, The Happ Inn can meet all of your private party needs.
A word from The Happ Inn
The Happ Inn is located on the Southeast corner of Willow and Happ roads, Northfield, Illinois.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Happ Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (105)great for lunch (63)good for groups (56)kid-friendly (39)vibrant bar scene (27)special occasion (25)fit for foodies (21)great for brunch (19)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (13)late-night find (7)notable wine list (5)romantic (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- We'll be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014For two of the four individuals in the group, it was the first time at the Happ Inn. We were pleased with the food, wine (Meiomi Pinot Noir), beer (various craft) and service. Three members of our party had the white shrimp (Grilled Jumbo Shrimp) and were happy with their meals. I had the Bill Kurtis Grass Fed Burger with a Gluten Free Bun and the homemade chips - yum. Our waiter, J.P., was outstanding - friendly, efficient, and provided recommendations, when asked.Special Features:
- Nothing special - had higher hopesUnhappyDined on 9/13/2014Busy Friday night. Food was barely warm. Kids Mac n cheese had a hardened cheese layer over the top as it sat under the heat lamp way too long. Truffle fries tasted like they were cooked during the lunch hour. Sat on patio and clearly the area was too much for the one server to handle. Unfortunately I had higher hopes as some friends recommended it to us. Maybe it was an off night...Special Features:
- Great place for lunchKDBalVIPDined on 9/9/2014Had a delicious and delightful lunch. Great beet salad.Special Features:
- good basic foodLike2eatitalianVIPDined on 9/3/2014the restaurant has a nice menu with good basic sandwiches, salads, and a few other entreesSpecial Features:
- Slip Sliding AwayEZDinerDined on 9/2/2014I have been a frequent diner at the Happ Inn for as long as it's been open. I have generally eaten there 2 0r 3 times monthly, and have always been more than satisfied. The last 3 times I've dined there, including this past Tuesday, the food has been mediocre at best. The prices have risen as they have in most restaurants I enjoy going to, but the quality on the plates has remained the same. Something has changed at the Happ Inn, and the restaurant has lost me as a customer.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014The Happ Inn is very good. I am a Northfield resident and visit this restaurant often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodRedheadDined on 8/29/2014We go to the Happ Inn often even though it's a little of the beaten path. There have over the years been many restaurants here but this is the one with staying power as the menu is so varied and the experience so casual. We had the new grilled shrimp with plantain rice that's on the menu and it was delicious - the yellow gazpacho soup was also excellent though I would have liked more vegetables in it. I tasted a friend's skirt steak and thought it was tough and not very flavorful. Both skirt steaks ordered were not done as ordered. For dessert, the chocolate chip cookie with ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce was very good. I wish there was a true hot fudge sundae on the menu and that desserts varied from season to season.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodmealsVIPDined on 8/26/2014Even though our waiter got several new tables at once, we received excellent service. The food was tasty although the Caprese salad was drowning in dressing. The fish tacos were very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!ZippyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Love the restaurant. It can accommodate my husbands love for fried chicken and my salad fetishes. Very accommodating And always pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumYumDined on 8/23/2014Every thing was great Seated on time Would have liked it if there were more specials. More menus changes. Great service. Wait person very good. Can't find anything bad to say. Had very nice timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyEatingVIPDined on 8/23/2014The Happ Inn is a good neighborhood place. The food is always reliable and the prices reasonable. Everyone in our group of six seemed to enjoy their food. We visit fairly often.Special Features:
- Glad we had a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014Happ Inn is one of my favorite local restaurants. We went on a Wednesday night, the place was surprisingly busy. So glad we had a reservation. We were seated right away, served right away, everyone enjoyed their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great drinksAngieVIPDined on 8/13/2014Looks like they updated the menu again recently - burgers are still my favorite here (grass fed!), but as always, they're very gluten-free friendly with a GF bun and many other options for my son. Always love their Green Hornet (gin cocktail), but had a Moscow Mule this time and it was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crabsisters3Crabsisters3Dined on 8/13/2014We had a lovely evening ….but needed to move tables once. My friend and I were celebrating a birthday and as happy occasions go….we were giggling and having fun. I found the crowd that night to be "old" and not nice. My friend who is a challenged adult was asked to keep her voice down by a booth next to us. We were not any louder than any other table in the restaurant. Our server was very nice and let us move away from these old people even thought it was out of his station. I will think twice about going back! Very grumpy old people seem to go to the Happ Inn….what a shame. Not fun being told to quiet down…….it was a birthday!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Eat, repeat...lunchbunchDined on 8/11/2014Well the "gang" gets together often but never have we decided at the table to return to the same place for the next get together. The food was very good we all ended up getting the soup, salad and slider combo and this was probably one of the best combos that we have had. Portions were a good size and the selection of items to make the combo was very nice. Often with a group of 8 it is difficult to hear each other but the noise level was low enough that we did not have to shout across the table at each other. Looking forward to our next lunch and discovering what seasonal soup is on the menu and what salad to select for my trio......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatKDBalVIPDined on 8/9/2014Truly a gem. Food is always delicious. The menu has interesting selections and the ambience is perfect. We return her again and again.Special Features:
- stauchatthedinerDined on 8/9/2014I thought that the food was quite good for both my wife and I. We had soup, the Talapia tacos and the "Bill Kurtis" burger. Service was good, but overall I feel as though it was quite pricey for what we received. It was pricey a bit through the food but mostly the bar bill.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 8/8/2014We were very disappointed in our over zealous waiter. He was annoyed that we were not ordering appetizers and then wanted our entree order sooner than we were ready to give it. We were at the Happ Inn to enjoy some old friends on a casual Fri. night and not only did we feel rushed but we were freezing on the patio. We also asked several times to close the door because we thought the cold air was blowing in but realized when we were on our way out that it was the AC blowing directly on us. As a result we will think twice before dining at the Happ Inn again
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014As always, we and our guests have had a wonderful time at Carlos' and Debbie's restaurant. Lorry and Lisa WerhaneSpecial Features:
- Best Burger in Chicagoland & MoreDelightedDinerVIPDined on 7/28/2014"Yes, the blackened Bacon & Blue Burger, especially if ordered medium rare, with Danish Bleu Cheese and Onions - but requested without lettuce, tomato, and the Bleu Cheese dressing - is in this diner's humble, perspectival opinion THE best hamburger in all of Chicagoland and deserves to be memorialized as such on the cover of Chicago Magazine. But the restaurant is more than this superb sandwich - it's indeed a "great neighborhood gem," owned and operated by Debbie and Carlos Nieto, with an expansive menu of comforting, familiar foods and specials, expertly prepared and served in a HAPPy environment. Excellent wines by glass. Our server treated us warmly but with respect and promptly saw to all requests."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family dinnerJillVIPDined on 7/28/2014Enjoyed a great meal with family. Good drink specials. Great appetizers. Service was excellent. Look forward to returning soonSpecial Features:
- FinalflingDined on 7/20/2014This is a very pretty restaurant -- looks like a London Pub with the pretty flower boxes along the black exterior. The fare is general with sandwiches as well as steaks and pasta. The wait staff is quite pleasant and attentive. Our specialty burgers and salads were very good. There are indoor/outdoor tables with plastic shades that can be lowered if the weather is cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lovely Place in the SuburbsDottyDined on 7/19/2014There were six of us and we all enjoyed our dinners. The fried chicken was exceptional--crispy coating and meltingly tender interior. Portions for all were very generous, and our waitress was a delight--helpful, funny, efficient. We are city folks, dining with our friends that night, but would make a special trip to the northern 'burbs to visit the Happ Inn in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Happ Inn!eatoutalotVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great food, excellent service, nice atmosphere. We preferred being in the front enclosed patio because it is a little brighter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okbrendaVIPDined on 7/16/2014The food could be better....it's a place for us to go to that's close to home.Special Features:
- Special occasion delightOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/15/2014Had a wonderful time celebrating a worker's anniversary. Happ Inn surprised us both with a special treat at the end of the meal - extra touch of class!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pubmacaronisoupDined on 7/12/2014Freiny staff, good variety menu. Fish tacos very good. If you are in the neighborhood worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy reviewFooddocVIPDined on 7/3/2014Happ Inn is reliable for good food and drink in a festive atmosphere. We go there on a 1-2 month frequency. The food selection is wide enough and prices are moderate. The beers are especially interesting. It's more soup/salad/sandwich but regular entrees are available as well. On this visit the yellow tomato gazpacho was outstanding! My lettuce wedge was covered in the best bleu dressing, but my wife's tilapia tacos were just okay. Service is really good, and for its genre, is a solid member of the North Shore dining community.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No ShowBobGVIPDined on 6/29/2014As regular patrons to Nieto's, Cafe Central, and Happ Inn I was offended to be marked an Open Table "No Show". There was only one other table occupied in the Dinning Room and certainly the oversight due to being busy. Watch your account closely.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/28/2014The food was fair, the waiter was not friendly (never saw a smile during the entire dinner), restaurant very unacommondating. One person at our table has diabetes and asked simply for plain veggies rather that with oil, she also asked for a baked potato, neither were available. She ended up having a plain grilled chicken breast on her plate. We will never return.
- We love the Happ InnHappycustomerVIPDined on 6/27/2014We are regulars and eat here at least twice a month. The food is consistently good and it is a neighborhood gem. This time we had a fabulous server, Scott. He was attentive, professional, and personable. In the future we will request sitting at one of his tables. We love the Sangria special on Fridays along with the crab cakes. The salmon dinner is always a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/26/2014food was excellent and everyone at our table had a different dishSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!AngieVIPDined on 6/25/2014One of our very favorite places! Thank you AGAIN for all the GF options and the excellent service!I would recommend this to a friend.
- twofortheroadDined on 6/22/2014Good food, service and location.we asked to be seated away from bar when we made reservations including our grand kids. We got there and we're taken to a table off the bar. Easily remedied by requesting table in main dining room.Special Features:
- Happ inn reviewFoodieDined on 6/21/2014If you want good food at a neighborhood spot Happ Inn is the place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealKDBalVIPDined on 6/21/2014Happ Inn never disappoints. The food and service are very good. The prices are reasonable. I especially love the Hummus as an appetizer and the fried chicken for dinner. Their burgers are also excellent.Special Features:
- TerrificDocSVIPDined on 6/20/2014Outstanding waiter, Scott who has served us beforeSpecial Features:
- great spotBubbaeatgoodDined on 6/20/2014place has an innovative menu, casual atmosphere, great food wonderful serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeenieVIPDined on 6/17/2014Ate on the patio, air conditioned and fairly quiet. Loved it. Had a great salad! What a great go-to restaurant!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Good food, great service , love the ambiance. Great place to meet friends and enjoy the eveing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.