The Guilty Goose
131 West 23rd Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Guilty Goose
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.guiltygoose.com/
- Phone: 2122553727
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Fetch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Contact us to plan your next special event! We can accomodate up to 75 guests for cocktails and 40 guests seated in our semi-private dining room.
A word from The Guilty Goose
Guilty Goose, the new restaurant inside the charming bed and breakfast on 23rd Street, is seamlessly melding the city's past into the present, and breathing new life into classic American cuisine. At first glance, the restaurant's menu appears to contain everything one would expect from a Modern-American Brasserie. But look closer and you will see that each dish is transformed into an exquisitely seasonal affair, leading diners to rediscover the classics. To accompany the deliciously surprising dishes, the restaurant offers an extensive and carefully crafted beer list that includes not four, but eight beers on tap and a large selection of craft beers, as well as a lengthy wine list conveniently separated in categories, from Light-Bodied, Crisp Whites to Full-Body, Deep Reds. So step into Guilty Goose and rediscover the city's beautiful past nestled within the delectable present.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Guilty Goose reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (14)neighborhood gem (11)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (5)fit for foodies (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (2)romantic (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great bottomless brunch!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Went there with group of 6 for bottomless brunch this past weekend. Food was amazing and the mimosas were flowing!! It was crowded so it was pretty loud but that's the only complaint. Would def go again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen needs help.dineoutlessandlessDined on 7/2/2014"Roasted chicken sandwich, w/arugla & avocado." Usually a fine combination. I often make it myself. 20 minutes after ordering and watching the "cook" run downstairs to fetch two avocados from the basement, I knew I was in trouble. What came out was a very unappealing, inedible sandwich. Imagine mashed avocado, with stringy greasy dark chicken meat & smashed arugula, creating a grayish mashed goo on a ciabatta bun. Gross. Waitress removed it from the check.
- Good pub foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014We were looking for a place to eat a late dinner after a show at the UCB. This was the perfect little spot for myself, my husband and two 18 year old. The food and service were good as well as inexpensive. If in the area, we would go again.Special Features:
- GailDined on 6/28/2014Great location with little competition…more a bar than a restaurant. No sound proofing and loud customers - having fun, but loud.Special Features:
- it was World Cup, but...LunchloverVIPDined on 6/26/2014We actually mad a reservation for lunch to find it's basically a bar with a few tables in back. The menu looked surprisingly good . Sure the World Cup was on tv so we ordered a burger and mini pizza as soon as we sat down. We waited 45 minutes for our food and then the burger came practically raw ( ordered medium well) and the pizza was soup with what seemed to be a jar of prego poured on top . Our waitress was sweet and on it but overwhelmed .. She seemed to be the only person there poor thing. We sent the food back and got two new burgers but that took another 20 minutes .. Would I give them another try ? Sure but no excuse on the piZza. It's not a restaurant it's a small loud pub. Why open table agreed to take them on I have no idea..Special Features:
- Maybe I was there at an off timeMardiVIPDined on 6/19/2014I was kinda shocked to see this place completely empty except for two others at peak weekday lunchtime. The waiter was nice enough, the food was fine but not great. But it never really got busier and I'm not sure why. However, I would certainly go back to try it again.
- Great menu, great food!HappyDinerDined on 6/13/2014This place was great - great bar scene and awesome menu. The food was really delicious. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great DinnerAlisonDined on 6/12/2014Picked this place at random while trying to find a restaurant in Chelsea for dinner after a friend's bridal fitting. Chose the Guilty Goose based upon the fact that it was supposed to have good beers and the menu sounded good. We were not disappointed! My pulled chicken sandwich was awesome and all of my friends really loved their dishes as well. Happy I found this place as I wasn't as familiar with the area so now I have a go-to recommendation if I'm ever in the neighborhood. I definitely want to go back for brunch sometime!Special Features:
- BrunchBKBarVIPDined on 6/1/2014the food was very good, service was fast, they really got the whole job of brunch, and the Beer, wowSpecial Features:
- runnergirlnycDined on 5/31/2014The place was cute at first, but it got incredibly loud in there, so much so that my group of four had to cut our visit short because we couldn't hear each other over the racket of the office.Special Features:
- The following 145 reviews are from the The Guilty Goose reviews archive.
- Horrible service and foodSideshowcinDined on 5/25/2014Our server was very moody. Didn't ask in do how we were doing. My friend got milk spilled on and not even an apology or anything. After we paid not even a thank you. It was the worst service ever. The food wasn't even what I expected especially from the rating it has. Very poor. I will never be going back and would not recommend to anyone that wants to try.
- Bottomless BrunchET25Dined on 5/18/2014I only come here for their bottomless brunch, and it's never a bad time. They are very good about keeping your glasses full during the hour of unlimited drinks, and the food is delicious. I especially love the fries that come with their burger--it is what keeps me coming back, truthfully.Special Features:
- FunRyan49VIPDined on 5/13/2014The Guilty Goose is a fun spot with very good food ! The surprise id that you can only have Beer or Wine - no liquor.Special Features:
- Worst place for brunchFvru321Dined on 5/11/2014Service was bad and slow. I was not impressed with the food. It seems that the people that works there except for the bartender hate their job. It does not have a good atmosphere for brunch.
- Love it time and againNomNomNomDined on 4/17/2014Seriously, this place always serves up an amazing night. Fantastic food, wonderful service, and a good time all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Brunch!GirlsBrunchDined on 4/5/2014We had a group of 6 meeting for a reunion brunch, and decided the try The Guilty Goose based upon reviews. We were not let down! The service was fantastic and our food was delicious. Not only did our server keep our mimosas flowing, but he gave us all recommendations from the menu and we were all very happy. We will definitely be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchGuiltyDinerDined on 3/23/2014Brunch menu was a little limited but there was a lot of other stuff to choose from. Everything was very good and our service was excellent! Amazing coffee and would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super noisy, subpar foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/16/2014Came for brunch with three of my friends, and the restaurant was so loud that we could hardly hear each other across our small table. Bottomless mimosas were fun (they came around with pitchers of it that they refilled like water glasses), but the food was pretty mediocre. My eggs benedict was over-poached, my friend's pancakes were chewy and bland (but smothered in toppings to try and make up for it), and the portions were disappointing for the price (no sides came with any of the entrees; just a plate with an omelette, or a plate with a breakfast sandwich, and nothing else). The experience wasn't overall terrible, but there are enough awesome brunch spots in this city that we don't need to return here.
- The server was great, foodMillerkgDined on 3/16/2014The server was great, food was delicious! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timepnycDined on 3/15/2014Perfect place for brunch and the beer selection is pretty good too. Staff is very friendly. Everything was timed perfectly. I will go again!Special Features:
- CacophonousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2014Super loud, especially in back of dining room... Only wine and beer and no bread or sides of any kind with $14 omelet. No thanks
- Great findSusiendaveDined on 3/1/2014Went here before a show at the Irish Rep. Excellent dinner - food was interesting and delicious, well prepared. Wait staff were great, attentive and knowledgable. Nice selection of wines and craft beers. We ate in the back room, which was moderately quiet. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big disappointmentOwenBDined on 2/23/2014The food was below average - from previous reviews we expected better quality. Sorry to say cannot recommend and will certainly not return again. Noise level was also VERY LOUD!
- Boozy Brunch!fitgirlVIPDined on 2/16/2014I loved this place! I had the $35 bottomless mimosa brunch which includes a meal! I had the egg sandwhich on an English muffin which is not hard to mess up but it was very good and also the potatoes! The best part was the mimosas....for sure boozy enough and served in a huge glass! The hostess was very nice and refilled my glass many times! I am coming back here again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice Valentine's Day evening out!KristineDined on 2/14/2014My husband found this place while browsing OpenTable for somewhere to go in the city. We loved the place the minute we walked in. The seating area was past the bar and it was a great, little spot. We started with the Bacon-Chedder Risotto Fritters and Fried Pickles - amazing! I had the Chelsea Caeser and my husband had the fish special of the day (I can't recall exactly what) and we both quite enjoyed our entrees! For dessert, we indulged in the doughnuts and cherry ale sundae. The doughnuts were to die for! My husband wasn't too thrilled with the sundae (he said the presence of the sour cherries kind of threw him off) but it won't stop us from coming back! Great place - so happy to have found it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar + RestaurantNYCGalVIPDined on 2/7/2014The front was very lively and loud, with lots of college-age patrons, and the back was rather quiet. It's good that the noise from the front does not carry so much to the back, where the restaurant tables are. I do not recommend the fries but all in all the rest of the regular menu seemed OK. The specials are what makes it interesting.Special Features:
- Great for brunch and more . . .MollieDined on 2/2/2014We found this gem just a block away at the Irish Repertory Theatre and went back again before going to the ATC Linda Gross Theatre. It is a small, almost hidden restaurant with a very homey feeling - warm and welcoming. The brews are great, the wine list looked good too, but we"ve never made it past the brews. The brunch menu was creative -- I mean - duck eggs to garnish my salad? YES!Special Features:
- Fun Sunday Brunchurd202VIPDined on 2/2/2014Went to Guilty Goose for a Sunday brunch. They had a really good menu selection, both for food and drinks. I was happy to find a vegan option (which can be especially difficult in brunch menus). Servers were really friendly, but I did have to ask them twice to get refilled on my unlimited drinks. Had a great time otherwise - not too loud or crowded, so I felt like I could eat in peace.Special Features:
- Great Brunch Place!TonyMontanaDined on 1/26/2014I had a reservation of two, but due to the restaurant's popularity, I had another friend come and they accommodated the three of us, no problem at all. Which was great! We all had brunch and deserts and loved the Sunday Brunch atmosphere that the restaurant had. It was a little busy with all the people wanting brunch, but our server took excellent care of us and we enjoyed the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Golden GooseHunteritesDined on 1/26/2014The service was fantastic from beginning to end. I would definitely go back. Waitress was solicitous friendly quick . I can't say enough to describe the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemljohnDined on 1/23/2014I have worked in the area for several months and hadn't even heard of the place. The food was great, though it did have more of a bar feel, and they did have a large beer selection. I would definitely recommend it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was greatNYCGuyVIPDined on 1/23/2014I walked past The Guilty Goose many times and finally decided to have lunch with a friend. The waiter was great and the food was excellent. I would go back for dinner and see what its like.Special Features:
- Good value brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/19/2014We were a party of four and opted for the bottomless brunch package which includes an entree and unlimited beer, micheladas or mimosas for 1.5 hrs. The food was tasty and well presented. The service was a bit slow on the drinks side and they started our drinks package when we arrived rather than when we actually ordered but aide from that this was a good spot to catch up with friends with decent food and drinks at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch spot in Chelsea!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2014We loved the food and bottomless brunch option. The service was fantastic - very polite and attentive staff. I've never had a bad experience hereSpecial Features:
- Great Place for Brunch!RadioClash30Dined on 1/18/2014Service was fantastic! At the bar and at the table. The food was also delicious and they had a great variety of options. And you can't beat unlimited mimosas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liquid LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/16/2014Came here for a lunch meeting over a glass of wine - super friendly and quick service. Didn't have anything to eat but the menu looked great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, amazing dessert!FeliciaJoyDined on 1/9/2014The service was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. My friend and I dined, talked, and laughed without feeling neglected or rushed. Perfect balance. I had Moroccan Sheppard's pie and a house salad. She had a Caesar's salad. We shared a chocolate brownie dessert. My entree was tasty. The salad was very fresh but a bit bland. Her salad was a typical Caesar's. The dessert, which we almost passed up but were glad we didn't, was absolutely incredible! This was a way above average brownie sundae with a bit of a crunch to it! The ambiance was a steady murmur of conversation with a few occasional raucous laughs, which we actually found endearing since we're usually the loudest laughers in the joint. Overall very good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/15/2013Good champagne large glasses bottomless! Great staff amazing food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/13/2013They have a ton of really great beers and really great food. 3 of us had the meat and cheese board to start and then 2 of us had the hamburger which was really good and the 3rd person had the duck. Really tasty. Service was friendly and good. The ambience is quite energetic. Would love to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/7/2013Service was fine and the kitchen accommodated some modifications to an order, but the food (omlette) was very oily/greasy. The key downside was the noise level - my friend and I sitting a foot away from each other could barely hear one another. This may be due to the bottomless drinks other patrons were engaging in as well as the small room keeping the noise packed in. Unfortunately we left with headaches.